Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deise_girl wrote: »
    I couldnt tell you. You'd know if it were the LIT team or not though coz the whole speach was geared towards getting the ball to Canning!

The only thing i can remember is F..F...F....F... I think i counted twenty something the other evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Daysha wrote: »
    Decided to create this thread as an extension of the AI semi match discussion as that's slowly turning this direction anyway.

Suppose the main questions to be asked over the coming months are...
    • Is Davy Fitz the right man to lead us? And if not (or he decides to pack it in), who should we replace him with?
    • If Davy does stays on, what changes in his approach to the game should he make next year? Similarly, if a new man comes in, should he make wholesale changes to our panel and focus on the younger players, or are only minimal switches required to deliver an All-Ireland?
    • Could or should any of the current panel retire, and which players from the starting 15 should be dropped to make way for the youngsters coming through?
    • Which of the minors/U21s do you expect to make a big impact next year?
    • How would you like to see us line up for the start of the 2010 campaign, and how well do you see us doing?
    I'll post my own thoughts later on, just like to see what the general opinion is on these matters first.

From an outsiders viewpoint, Davy is not the man for the job. Davy is waiting to find out if Mike Mac will still be Clare manager next year before commiting to Waterford. I can't see Mike Mac been in Clare next year after their disasterious season just gone, so I think Davy will be at the helm up there next year.

I think Shane 'Shiner' Ahearne (who was over the u21's the last few years, and done a pretty good job in fairness to him) should be brought in for the next 2 years. Waterford are in transistion for the next couple of years IMO, and 'Shiner' would probably be the best man to breed the youngsters that he has had at his disposal over the past couple of years.

I wouldn't know the ins and outs of the Waterford club championship to pick out club players that could make the step up, but Waterford definitely need a few fresh faces. The also need a full back badly. An idea would be put Ken Centre back and try Brick full back. It might be worth sacraficing him for the greater good of the team (similar to JJ Delaney at full back for Kilkenny when Hickey is out injured).

Personally, I don't think this group of Waterford players will ever win an All-Ireland. With Kilkenny so strong and a young Tipp team really starting yo mature quite nicely, I think a Munster title and an All Ireland semi final apperance will be the most that can be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Regarding the Davy team talk, apparantly he hasn't been like that at all with the Waterford hurlers since he took over, not once. I remember reading an interview with Ken McGrath sometime last year and he was saying that's not representive at all of the type of talks he gives. Even before the final last year he was just giving his own calm, quiet pep talk to the lads, and at half time he was just sympathetic with the players more than anything. Certainly they haven't seen any hurleys swinging round the place or anything.

looder wrote: »
    From an outsiders viewpoint, Davy is not the man for the job. Davy is waiting to find out if Mike Mac will still be Clare manager next year before commiting to Waterford. I can't see Mike Mac been in Clare next year after their disasterious season just gone, so I think Davy will be at the helm up there next year.

I think Shane 'Shiner' Ahearne (who was over the u21's the last few years, and done a pretty good job in fairness to him) should be brought in for the next 2 years. Waterford are in transistion for the next couple of years IMO, and 'Shiner' would probably be the best man to breed the youngsters that he has had at his disposal over the past couple of years.

I wouldn't know the ins and outs of the Waterford club championship to pick out club players that could make the step up, but Waterford definitely need a few fresh faces. The also need a full back badly. An idea would be put Ken Centre back and try Brick full back. It might be worth sacraficing him for the greater good of the team (similar to JJ Delaney at full back for Kilkenny when Hickey is out injured).

Personally, I don't think this group of Waterford players will ever win an All-Ireland. With Kilkenny so strong and a young Tipp team really starting yo mature quite nicely, I think a Munster title and an All Ireland semi final apperance will be the most that can be expected.

I dont know would Shiner be the best man for the job and i know a few think Jim Greene would be the best man. I have my doubts about him as well. I would give the job to Nicky Cashin. He was with Justin and should have been offered the job when Justin was ousted, but i guess at the time it would have been hard to accept it as he resigned along with Justin at the time.

Daysha wrote: »
    Regarding the Davy team talk, apparantly he hasn't been like that at all with the Waterford hurlers since he took over, not once. I remember reading an interview with Ken McGrath sometime last year and he was saying that's not representive at all of the type of talks he gives. Even before the final last year he was just giving his own calm, quiet pep talk to the lads, and at half time he was just sympathetic with the players more than anything. Certainly they haven't seen any hurleys swinging round the place or anything.

I have by doubts about that. A few of the players that were not in the 2009 panel but were in 2008 do not have anything good to say about him or his methods anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I dont know would Shiner be the best man for the job and i know a few think Jim Greene would be the best man. I have my doubts about him as well. I would give the job to Nicky Cashin. He was with Justin and should have been offered the job when Justin was ousted, but i guess at the time it would have been hard to accept it as he resigned along with Justin at the time.
    What about Micheal Ryan from Ballymac (or ring, I'm not 100%). He's after winning a South division in Tipp with a mediocre Mullinahone team. Reports are suggesting he's a very good skills trainer. Lots and lots of ballwork in training which Waterford lacked this year IMO as their 1st touch wasn't what it should have been against Kilkenny, although the pitch didn't help

looder wrote: »
    What about Micheal Ryan from Ballymac (or ring, I'm not 100%). He's after winning a South division in Tipp with a mediocre Mullinahone team. Reports are suggesting he's a very good skills trainer. Lots and lots of ballwork in training which Waterford lacked this year IMO as their 1st touch wasn't what it should have been against Kilkenny, although the pitch didn't help

Ya, hes from Ballymac. He would be a good man, but i dont think he would have the full respect of the players and maybe some of the board. He was also involved with Justin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Former Intercounty star Joe Deane is set to manage Abbeyside senior hurling team!!!

theres a headline for ya :D

This thread also has potential :)

How do yee think the club games will go this weekend??
    I think it will be;
    Mount Sion (obviously!!)
    Ballygunner... just
    Tallow
    Abbeyside...
    Think Mount sion will definatly, and probably Tallow. Molumphy(the good one!) is gone to Chad now I think? Major loss for them.

I think the Ballygunner game and the abbeyside will be tight. But I don't think De La Salle are as good this year, but it depends. I didn't think Ballygunner would let Abbeyside back into that game

Abbeyside I think may battle but im unsure of who will win this too.
    Opinions anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

This thread also has potential :)

I think it will be;
    Mount Sion (obviously!!)
    Ballygunner... just
    Tallow
    Abbeyside...
    Think Mount sion will definatly, and probably Tallow. Molumphy(the god one!) is gone to Chad now I think? Major loss for them.

I think the Ballygunner game and the abbeyside will be tight. But I don't think De La Salle are as good this year, but it depends. I didn't think Ballygunner would let Abbeyside back into that game

Abbeyside I think may battle but im unsure of who will win this too.
    Opinions anyone?

Mount Sion should overcome Ballyduff Lower handily enough.

I have a niggling feeling De La Salle will just shade the Gunners.

Abbeyside to beat Lismore.

Someone has said on upthedeise that Stevie will be playing for Ballyduff. This is a tough one to call, i dont know who of the Ballyduff backs will be fast enough to keep up with Tommy Ryan but feck it the heart says Ballyduff by a point;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I think it will be;
    Mount Sion (obviously!!)
    Ballygunner... just
    Tallow
    Abbeyside...

Yep, looks good to me. Have the semi final pairings been determined yet?

Could be right about Molumphy. I just assumed he wouldn't be playing when I saw the examiner thing about going to Chad.. Theres a picture of him in it and all!

I think I read somewhere open draw for the semis, but Im not 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Could be right about Molumphy. I just assumed he wouldn't be playing when I saw the examiner thing about going to Chad.. Theres a picture of him in it and all!

I think I read somewhere open draw for the semis, but Im not 100%
    Think theyre not leaving till the end of the month

I fancy Ballyduff Upper, Abbeyside, Mount Sion and Ballygunner to win.

The bookies have it a Mount Sion, Ballygunner, Bally Duff and Abbeyside win.
    Closest is the Abbeyside match 11/10 to evens.

That was some double header today!! :D

That was some double header today!! :D

Good games alright. One in Kill was not supposed to be great.

Didn't see it, heard Mount Sion won handy enough. Ballyduff had a fella sent off I think?

How long would you say Mullane will get for the punch and the pull?

Didn't see it, heard Mount Sion won handy enough. Ballyduff had a fella sent off I think?

How long would you say Mullane will get for the punch and the pull?

From reports i heard Ballyduff player was put off in the wrong.

Cant say about Mullane. Did not see it. Was talking notes at the time. Read on upthedeise.com that some people think he will get between 3 and 6 months. Would say 3 months would be max from what i heard of what happened.

It was real stupid... after he getting the free. Think a fella was shouldering him up a bit but Mullane had like a rush of blood to the head and got carried away with himself.

Doubt he'd get the 6 months, seeing as hes a county player it looks bad for them to be gone for too long...(the 'privalges' they get:rolleyes:)

On a side note I was disapointed Ballygunner didn't push on to win it handy enough. Mullane was the big one for De la salle and seeing as ballygunner have so many players that can score, and a keeper who can save almost anything

• Advertisement

It was real stupid... after he getting the free. Think a fella was shouldering him up a bit but Mullane had like a rush of blood to the head and got carried away with himself.

Doubt he'd get the 6 months, seeing as hes a county player it looks bad for them to be gone for too long...(the 'privalges' they get:rolleyes:)

On a side note I was disapointed Ballygunner didn't push on to win it handy enough. Mullane was the big one for De la salle and seeing as ballygunner have so many players that can score, and a keeper who can save almost anything

Ya, De La Salle would have won handy but for O'Keeffe in the Ballygunner goal. We are a bit spoilt for choice with goal keepers right now with Clinton Adrian and Stephen.

Heard Ballyduff upper won there this evening.
    Adrain Power got a good point from a free out. This isn't the first time he's done that, I think in a year or so there is going to be serious competition for goalkeeper. It's like
    Clinton- The safe reliable man. He doesn't leave in a howler but the amazing saves aren't often there.

Power- Scored a few at this stage from free outs shows he should have acurate puck outs. Saves a few good ones but can leave in a howler. I'd excuse this as it could be blood rush for a 20-21(?) year old.

Stephen o' Keefe- Has saved some friggen amzing shots at club and minor county this year. In a few years he will be starting goalie no doubt. But think he needs a another year or so, only a young chap :D
    Now anyone have a spare full abck they'd like to lend us?? lol

Power was outstanding tonight. Made two or three great saves. Tom Feeney also had a great game as had Seamus Hannon while for Tallow James Murray and Thomas Ryan were there best players and Evan Sheehan was very busy after coming in at the break. Stephen moluphy saved a penalty from Thomas Ryan, with four minutes to go. Tonights game was by far the best game in the county all year. Ballyduff I suppose could claim to be involved in the best three games, Tonights v Tallow, the game v De La Salle and the opening game of the championship against Fourmilewater. They look good, but Stephen Molumphy is going to be a loss for them.

How was ringo?? Think its unfair for him to be playing half forward. Or did he play there?

How was ringo?? Think its unfair for him to be playing half forward. Or did he play there?

He got a point from play and had one horrendous wide. In all a bit mixed like all the tallow forwards. He's a good hurler but he definately should be playing in the backs

Anywho on the game itself Seamus Hannon had a great game but Adrian Power had to be man of the match. He pulled off some amazing saves and looked very composed. The ref Wadding was terrible, he made some seriously bad calls. Stevie Molumphy got shouldered in the chest at onestage and he gave a free to Tallow:rolleyes:

Ya he played there AGAIN and got on the score sheet. You are dead right in what you say. I dont know what comes over selectors at times. I dont think you can change a back into a forward just like that. I have seen it in my own club, lads that played all their underage hurling and football when they get into the adult teams are placed in the forwards and vice versa.

deisedude wrote: »
    He got a point from play and had one horrendous wide. In all a bit mixed like all the tallow forwards. He's a good hurler but he definately should be playing in the backs

Anywho on the game itself Seamus Hannon had a great game but Adrian Power had to be man of the match. He pulled off some amazing saves and looked very composed. The ref Wadding was terrible, he made some seriously bad calls. Stevie Molumphy got shouldered in the chest at onestage and he gave a free to Tallow:rolleyes:

I think Wadding had a good game. I was almost straight opposite where that incident happened. i think it was James Murray (correct me if i am wrong) that shouldered Molumphy in the chest and knocked him to the ground. The ref who was much closer obviously saw it as a fair challenge, but one of the Ballyduff players didnt and appeared to knock Murray (I think) to the ground. Thats why the free was given.

Where did Stephen Molumph play?? He was named for full forward but did he have to run the lenght of the pitch for the penelty?

Where did Stephen Molumph play?? He was named for full forward but did he have to run the lenght of the pitch for the penelty?

Played in the half forwards instead of Mike who was only a sub and came on near the end. Ballyduff were awarded a penalty at the end. Adrian started to come up for he but was told from the line to stay back. Brendan Hannon took and and pointed. He did not go for a goal.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I think Wadding had a good game. I was almost straight opposite where that incident happened. i think it was James Murray (correct me if i am wrong) that shouldered Molumphy in the chest and knocked him to the ground. The ref who was much closer obviously saw it as a fair challenge, but one of the Ballyduff players didnt and appeared to knock Murray (I think) to the ground. Thats why the free was given.

I was in front of the incident myself and it was a clear shoulder to chest. The Ballyduff players were right to be outraged, granted that didnt excuse pushing Murray. Pretty sure he booked the wrong Ballyduff player as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement