Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options
  • 11-08-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Decided to create this thread as an extension of the AI semi match discussion as that's slowly turning this direction anyway.

Suppose the main questions to be asked over the coming months are...
    • Is Davy Fitz the right man to lead us? And if not (or he decides to pack it in), who should we replace him with?
    • If Davy does stays on, what changes in his approach to the game should he make next year? Similarly, if a new man comes in, should he make wholesale changes to our panel and focus on the younger players, or are only minimal switches required to deliver an All-Ireland?
    • Could or should any of the current panel retire, and which players from the starting 15 should be dropped to make way for the youngsters coming through?
    • Which of the minors/U21s do you expect to make a big impact next year?
    • How would you like to see us line up for the start of the 2010 campaign, and how well do you see us doing?
    I'll post my own thoughts later on, just like to see what the general opinion is on these matters first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Like people were saying on the other thread, the Waterford attitude to hurling needs to change. In the match with Kilkenny they were far to focused on trying to 'best' their man, and get the crowd going, rather than being cool headed and clinical. They have the ability and the determination to go all the way but waste so much effort on the OTT stuff and it only costs focus and concentration. KK do so well exactly because they stay cool, calm and collected. Even if they go a few points behind. They ignore the crowd for the most part and just concentrate on the winning the game in hand. Hurling needs to come first, not all the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Would expect Waterford to slide back down the ladder a bit now. They know this team will not win an All Ireland, a Munster title would be a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

I wouldn't agree Buck65! As was mentioned before...

...the Waterford minors and u-21 were in munster finals with the minors winning theirs and De La Salle college won back to back Harty cups in a previously unheard of underage scene.

Maybe a year or two of transition but then a second wind of Waterford hurling to come me-thinks! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

JamieK wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree Buck65! As was mentioned before...

...the Waterford minors and u-21 were in munster finals with the minors winning theirs and De La Salle college won back to back Harty cups in a previously unheard of underage scene.

Maybe a year or two of transition but then a second wind of Waterford hurling to come me-thinks! :o
    Not to mention colleges in Lismore and Dungarvan cleaning up at their respective grades in Munster. This is the brightest the future has looked for Waterford hurling in decades to be honest. The fruits of the initial success of the past decade is now there for all to see with the next generation being inspired by the Tony Browne's and Ken McGraths of their youth to take up the game. Success breeds success, its up to the county board to take measures to ensure as many young lads can be encouraged into the game and development panels and training seminars set up county wide from a young age.

It would be disastrous if we slipped back now with so much headway made in the same way that Wexford, Offaly and Clare did after their stunning triumphs in the mid to late 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

flahavaj wrote: »
    Success breeds success, its up to the county board to take measures to ensure as many young lads can be encouraged into the game and development panels and training seminars set up county wide from a young age.
    This I have a bad feeling about. The majority of the county board is being taken over by people who dont give a sh!t about hurling.
    I know a lot of them are giving out that not enough focus is being put on football in development.I really dont think we're a football county and it should be put on the backburner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

im no fan of davys playing to the gallery and hammy post match interviews where it seems like croke park is to blame for the taps in the toilets not responding fast enough or something like that but to his credit waterford battled like never before under him and showed a bit of character that was lacking under justin mc.i can remember john mullane standing still as seamus hickey beat him to the first few balls in 2007.i have seen a lot of this in waterford minor/u 21 teams aswell over the years.this is not a pop at yeby the way as i would like to see w'ford outside of limerick win an all ireland.

they didnt have the skills that was evident since 2002 this year but they fought all the way to the end in every game.its all well and good being fancy dans but meath,armagh,clare,tyrone and kikenny all added a steel to their game that has seen them win all irelands over the last 20 years.in short i would say keep davy on because he has brought up the teams workrate if nothing else.

oh and just because ye have won 1/2 titles at schools and that dont get carried away.players need to be kept on their toes at all times.i have seen enough hopes dashed in limerick getting carried away with a bit of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

shockframe wrote: »
    im no fan of davys playing to the gallery and hammy post match interviews where it seems like croke park is to blame for the taps in the toilets not responding fast enough or something like that but to his credit waterford battled like never before under him and showed a bit of character that was lacking under justin mc.i can remember john mullane standing still as seamus hickey beat him to the first few balls in 2007.i have seen a lot of this in waterford minor/u 21 teams aswell over the years.this is not a pop at yeby the way as i would like to see w'ford outside of limerick win an all ireland.

they didnt have the skills that was evident since 2002 this year but they fought all the way to the end in every game.its all well and good being fancy dans but meath,armagh,clare,tyrone and kikenny all added a steel to their game that has seen them win all irelands over the last 20 years.in short i would say keep davy on because he has brought up the teams workrate if nothing else.

oh and just because ye have won 1/2 titles at schools and that dont get carried away.players need to be kept on their toes at all times.i have seen enough hopes dashed in limerick getting carried away with a bit of success.

Thats it really shockframe its all about getting the balance right between the skillfull hurling and the battleing qualities, they seem to me anyway to have gone from on extreme to the other and need to find the right balance, I dont meen to sound like a broken record but Davy is not the man for that job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It would be disastrous if we slipped back now with so much headway made in the same way that Wexford, Offaly and Clare did after their stunning triumphs in the mid to late 90's.
    Not to mention Limerick. The AI semi final appearance this coming weeked only serves to paper over the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I think last year's final wasn't totally Davy's fault.

First real senior inter county job and only 2-3 months in the job.

But it will have been an invaluable lesson to him. You don't take things for granted, preparation is key, play out of your skins.

Waterford because of their small player base compared to the Corks, Tipps and Kilkennys always need to play at 150% to have a chance of beating the big boys.

It's always David Vs Goliath when Waterford play the big boys and no-one expects them to win.

Waterford coming withing 6 points of Kilkenny is roughly the equivalent of Kilkenny beating Waterford by 23 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

This I have a bad feeling about. The majority of the county board is being taken over by people who dont give a sh!t about hurling.
    I know a lot of them are giving out that not enough focus is being put on football in development.I really dont think we're a football county and it should be put on the backburner

It's the same on every county board, well it is in Mayo anyhow.

When the team are doing well such as in 89 you have gombeens taking over the county boards, guys from political parties who haven't a clue about sport but who want a piece of the action.

Then they start picking the selectors.

That's the reason Johno left Mayo the first time around, because of the gombeens, and if it wasn't for them, we'd probably have a few AI's at this stage.

Success always attracts idiots jumping on the bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,529 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I feel the future is bright. I do believe though that time has come for a parting of the ways with Davy. Probably best for all concerned, I think he has gotten the most he can get from this team, and in turn he's picked up a lot of experience that will stand to him. Personally I'd say thanks for everything Davy and best of luck for the future (if he does stay on though I'd give him my full support next year)

The underage has been mentioned a lot, and its important that some of these players are brought through but brought through correctly. No point in having a repeat of 93, when after winning the U-21 all Ireland a raft of changes happened at senior level and we went out and got beat by Kerry at Walsh Park! Blood them in the league games alongside experienced players. Do the right thing, do the simple thing.

We need to find a full back, Fives is a candidate, but it would be a big repsonsibility for one so young. A memo needs to go out to the clubs - have people at games to see the full backs in particular, while not forgetting other positions completely of course.

In terms of a replacement for Davy, well we are in a healthy spot compared to last year, when no one would have touched us with a barge pole. Now with the bones of a strong team in place, a lot of promising underage players, we are something which the likes of Loughnane, O Grady etc would be interested in. I wouldnt rule out a raid and get a KK manager in, we could do with some of that KK ethos I believe. Cork men helped us to Munster titles, perhaps a KK man could get us an All Ireland title. Finally dont forget the locals, Kevin Ryan in particular

As for retirements, I dont see a lot. Perhaps Dan if he doesnt have the desire to do it all for subs starting position, maybe Ken if he doesnt recover fully from the injury. I have it from a very good source that Tony Browne is going no where! :) And going on his displays this year he doesnt need to.

In summary, get the right people in, dont be afraid to use the entire panel, blood some new faces to senior level.

The futures bright, the future's blue and white!

KevIRL wrote: »
    The futures bright, the future's blue and white!
    Pity we're white & blue :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,529 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Pity we're white & blue :pac:

doesnt really have that rhyming quality though does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭deisedude

So where to go from here for Waterford? Obviously the key question is whether Davy should stay or go? Davy might not be media savvy and he can be too slow to make changes on the line but that being said he has the team well prepared and very fit and perhaps most crucially they can now win playing ugly. The panel has also seen a massive shake up under Davy with much of the deadwood under Justin cleared out in favour of promising young players. If the players want him to stay then i'd be happy enough with him to continue on. Their have been plenty of rumours of discontent in the squad to Davys methods so thats not a definite also there is a strong possibility that Davy could be offered the Clare job.

To the team for next year. I would forget about winning the league and use it solely to blood new players. In goals i would give Clinton and Power half the games each and pick the keeper for the championship based on who does better.
    The corner backs Murphy and Connors are both steady and dependable no problem there, that being said i'd give Maher some game time in the league because their arent too many years left in Murphy.
    So to full back, the perennial problem. In my mind if we had a solid full back in the last few years i think this Waterford team would have won an All Ireland but alas we did not and too many tight games were lost as a result. Many players have been tried there but really it has been a case of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by putting a player there who is better suited to being played somewhere else. Ringo who had a very good game against Galway is just not tall or physical enough to be a long term solution while Dec Pender just aint a full back full stop. In next years league Shane Fives should be given a go or maybe Kindregan of Abbeyside or Fada O'Brien of Tallow. None are a guaranteed solution but we havent much to lose finding out.

To the half back line. Tony Browne may no longer be around but then again this man defies age so he may still be there! Foley, Ringo, Dec Pender, Phelan, Moran and sully can all play on the wings so we have plenty of cover. Centre back is an area which might cause a headache. Brick has been excellent there but would Waterford be better served playing Ken here and thus freeing up Brick to fill out a troublesome midfield?

In midfield Shane Sullivan this year has towed the line between being completely invisible in games and the best player on the pitch. At least he is no longer a passenger though. Molumphy should play midfield, his best position IMO. We have potentially the best midfield in the country in Brick and Molumphy and if Ken plays centre back i would start with this pairing with Sully losing out.

The half forward line has been poor this year. S Pender has been sluggish and not the player of old. Maybe throwing in Baby Shan in the league in his place would be advisable. Kelly has to start in the half forward line next year. He hurls best in space and is wasted full forward. Moran has impressed me when he has played in the half forward line, he causes havoc when he runs at the defence.

To the full forward line Mullane is an obvious starter in one corner. I would prob play Shane Walsh in the other corner as he has a deadly eye for goal but is prob a bit short for full forward in the long term. Casey and Tommy Ryan should get a few games in the league to see if they can progress further. Ryan in particular could be well utilised as an impact sub, he has pace to burn and an eye for goal. Eoin Mcgrath is another option in the corner, probably better as a sub though. To the full forward position i think Waterford seriously need a big man in here. It provides an easy out to players under pressure to hit it in to the big full forward. This was lacking against Kilkenny and on a few occasions i felt certain players took on difficult shots from far out that inevitably went wide. Gary Hurney is a handful for his size even if not the most technically gifted hurler or Ken Mcgrath might do a job here. Dan Shan if he gives it another year could still be a dangerous sub. I dont think he has a full 70 minutes in him anymore though.

So theres my tuppence worth, i apologise for the length of the post!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Daysha wrote: »
    Decided to create this thread as an extension of the AI semi match discussion as that's slowly turning this direction anyway.

Suppose the main questions to be asked over the coming months are...
    • Is Davy Fitz the right man to lead us? And if not (or he decides to pack it in), who should we replace him with?
    • If Davy does stays on, what changes in his approach to the game should he make next year? Similarly, if a new man comes in, should he make wholesale changes to our panel and focus on the younger players, or are only minimal switches required to deliver an All-Ireland?
    • Could or should any of the current panel retire, and which players from the starting 15 should be dropped to make way for the youngsters coming through?
    • Which of the minors/U21s do you expect to make a big impact next year?
    • How would you like to see us line up for the start of the 2010 campaign, and how well do you see us doing?
    I'll post my own thoughts later on, just like to see what the general opinion is on these matters first.

Hmmm I think I'd leave Davy on, I don't know who we'd replace him with and if he was to go there'd be war about who the next manager would be. In Waterford, not in Waterford. Young, old, east or west of waterford......
    I think keep him on another year then deal with all this..
    My prefernce would be Donal O Grady but he doesn't seem intrested :(

I think he has the team fitter then ever and thats good for the young lads but not the likes of Ken and Tony, they dont need much hard phiscial stuff. I think training should start back the start of next year and work on the fitness again but I think a bit more skill has to be worked on, that first stuff and all that.

I think a few of the curret senior panel should only be brought on for some league matches so they have a mixed team of experienced and young. I think Tony and Ken need only be brought on for few games(provided they both stay on) I think the likes of Maurice,Casey, Foley, Power, Connors and a few of them need these games. But they need these games with some experienced players, not to have the whole under 21 team playing at once.

Not sure about next year but in the coming years I expect Maurice, Connors, Power and Foley to feature and be more productive. I know people are saying Ryan but he's to small for now, he'll be cleaned out of it.

Obviously I'd hope for the best but I dunno how we will line out.. Depends whos performing. I'd love to see the Bull playing but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Speaking of Phelan, whats the story there? I find it hard to fathom how a guy who was so massively influential in helping get his club to an All Ireland doesn't feature at all, even as a sub, in our entire campaign? Was there a falling out with management? Its even more confusing when you consider midfield wouldn't have been our strongest area this year and he's been outstanding there for De La Salle all year.

And unfortunately it looks like midfield will be even weaker next year. Molumphys off to Chad for a year in Oct I believe :(
    Speaking of Phelan, whats the story there? I find it hard to fathom how a guy who was so massively influential in helping get his club to an All Ireland doesn't feature at all, even as a sub, in our entire campaign? Was there a falling out with management? Its even more confusing when you consider midfield wouldn't have been our strongest area this year and he's been outstanding there for De La Salle all year.

I think this is ridiculous.He didnt even have a jersey sunday(was in a blue training top).He mightnt be the most skillful but hes an influential player wholl do the job he has to do. He'll never get a look in with davy there though :mad:

And unfortunately it looks like midfield will be even weaker next year. Molumphys off to Chad for a year in Oct I believe :(

If thats true thats a massive loss. He's been absolutely immense for us this year and the amount of unheralded work he does around the pitch often goes unnoticed. I'd go so far as to say hes one of our top three most important players, more so than even Mullane or Kelly.

If thats true thats a massive loss. He's been absolutely immense for us this year and the amount of unheralded work he does around the pitch often goes unnoticed. I'd go so far as to say hes one of our top three most important players, more so than even Mullane or Kelly.

He is due to do a tour of duty. Don't know for how long though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'ld like Davy to go, don't like his antics and the attitude. He looks like a fool in any interview and hard to know how any player could have respect for him when he gives a team talk (if its like the LIT one on youtube) if he screams away like a cat in heat.

They should have got Daly last year when they went looking for someone, i said it at the time and Dublin did the smart thing.

As for the future, up and coming talent is all well and good but Limerick is a case in point. They made a right hames of the U21 and not winning in 2004 and 2006 knocked the stuffing out of Limerick since. And yes i know they were in the 2007 final but like us, they don't have the back up players.

Waterford need a full back (what about Kindgertan in Abbeyside?), one half back (Brian Wall), one midfielder (Bull Phelan but Davy doesn't like him), and two scoring forwards (3 pts a match and they might come from the U21/minors). The squad is weak on the bench and until the panel has a solid 24 players, any injuries will damage any hopes of anything.

Blood the young fellas in the league and take the league seriously, give them all 5 matches each and tell them beforehand. Dropping players after one bad match is nonsense.

Build it and they will come! Otherwise the last 11 years will be the golden era we'll tell people about in 40 years when the hurlers come again as a force in 2045 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Nevermind the current team or manager, Waterford have to build up the supply line.

Look at Kilkenny for the last few years, winning at every level, U-21, Minor, Intermediate, etc. This year, again, still in there at every level. Other counties have to realise to be in with a shout, you have to nurture talent at every level and not just concentrate on the senior team.

brettmirl wrote: »
    Nevermind the current team or manager, Waterford have to build up the supply line.

Look at Kilkenny for the last few years, winning at every level, U-21, Minor, Intermediate, etc. This year, again, still in there at every level. Other counties have to realise to be in with a shout, you have to nurture talent at every level and not just concentrate on the senior team.
    Which we have and have been talking about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I had heard he'd be gone for a few months, miss most of the league but be back in time for the Championship. Guess we won't know for sure until we hear it from the man himself.

Personally, I think Davy should go too, but only if we get in Donal O'Grady to replace him. As has been posted before, he's absolutely perfect for the job. He's the one manager from outside the county that probably knows the team inside out going from our meetings with Cork down the years, and he's a highly skilled tactician that worked wonders with the Rebels.

As strange as it sounds, I'd be wary of bringing in someone from the inside, like Jim Greene. Just too much baggage for my liking, and after going with a rookie in Davy it's imperative his replacement would be someone who's proven at this level. With that respect, O'Grady ticks all the boxes. A few years ago I would have jumped at the prospect of someone like Ger Loughnane, but his stint at Galway sullied my opinion of him. Still a great analyst though. That said, if I was told O'Grady was a no-goer, then by all means lets stick with Davy for another year and give him our full backing.

I agree our half forward line needs sorting out next year, finding 1-2 strong guys in that area of the field that can score a few points a game is just as important as getting the full back line sorted out. That's why Moran was moved up there, to add a bit of needed physicality and it actually worked out very well. But he alone is not the solution to our problems, but him and Eoin Kelly in the half forwards together might be.

There's still the question of Ken next year though, what are we going to do with him?! It would seem mad to move Brick out of half back now given his performances this year, but I don't think Ken has the pace for playing a part in the forward line anymore, or midfield for that matter. That said, you can't just drop a player like Ken McGrath. I'd be inclined to move him back in his natural HB with Brick in midfield (for a few league games anyway) and see how it turns out.

As for our starting 15 next year, I'd like to see something like this:

Power
    Murphy----Kearney---Connors
    Browne
    Ken
    Foley
    Brick
    Sully
    Kelly
    Moran--Molumphy
    Mullane--M.Shanahan---Walsh

Of course it's extremely hard to predict a line-up so far in advance with the league still to get through first, but thats how I'd call it at the moment. A part of me would absolutely love to see a midfield pairing of Brick and Molumphy, but I expect Sully to improve even more next year and he doesn't have whats required to play in the forwards.

Then on top of those 15 guys you'll have young guys like Shane Casey, Thomas Ryan, Philip Mahony, Thomas Connors and one or two others making an impact. I'll admit I haven't seen much Kindgeran so I can't really comment on whether he's up for it, but it would be a huge ask for Fives to come in at FB next. Maybe a year or two too early for him. Don't forget about Jake Dillion too. Only 16 years of age and he was absolutely immense in the minor munster final. He won't figure next year, but its just a sign of the kind of players we've got coming through down here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I had heard he'd be gone for a few months, miss most of the league but be back in time for the Championship. Guess we won't know for sure until we hear it from the man himself.
    I was reading an interview with Molumphy in some newspaper a week or 2 ago, and also speaking to a friend whose other half is in the army too, the mission to Chad is only for 3-4 months, and they are due to go out mid September or October, so Molumphy should be back around January/February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Davy fitz the right man to continue leading Waterford and I think Molompy should continue as captain. You could see him turing into a great captain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

I was reading an interview with Molumphy in some newspaper a week or 2 ago, and also speaking to a friend whose other half is in the army too, the mission to Chad is only for 3-4 months, and they are due to go out mid September or October, so Molumphy should be back around January/February.
    I know Steve and he's off to Chad in The Autumn for 4 months so he will be back at the start of Feburary.

Tobyglen wrote: »
    I know Steve and he's off to Chad in The Autumn for 4 months so he will be back at the start of Feburary.

I love you.

There's still the question of Ken next year though, what are we going to do with him?! It would seem mad to move Brick out of half back now given his performances this year, but I don't think Ken has the pace for playing a part in the forward line anymore, or midfield for that matter. That said, you can't just drop a player like Ken McGrath. I'd be inclined to move him back in his natural HB with Brick in midfield (for a few league games anyway) and see how it turns out.
    Brick has to stay centre back IMO. While Ken offers a huge amount in terms of catching and launching attacks and generally being an inspiration from teh position, Brick's ability to hold his position, sweep up aroud the edge of the full back line and all round discipline in the role were hugely important to us this year, in particular when we have a FB line as porous as ours. He's our centre back for as long as he plays for Waterford as far as I'm concerned.

I'd give Ken a go at full forward. Imagine the havoc a guy of his aerial ability could cause under dropping ball on the edge of the square. If his legs are gone as people say (which I actually doubt), theres few other places to utilise the other skills he undoubtedly has. It would free up Kelly to go wing forward as well, hes been utterly wasted for two years stuck in full forward, no wonder hes showed so much frustration. The guy is a genius and needs to be involved out the field as much as possible.

Rumours of Browne retiring here
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/206-01.html

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    Rumours of Browne retiring here
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/206-01.html

Hopefully bullsh*t, no source or quotes whatsoever given. Hes still well able anyway, thats for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement