Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

JamieK wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree Buck65! As was mentioned before...

...the Waterford minors and u-21 were in munster finals with the minors winning theirs and De La Salle college won back to back Harty cups in a previously unheard of underage scene.

Maybe a year or two of transition but then a second wind of Waterford hurling to come me-thinks! :o
    have u ever heard of a minor or u21 team that havent come. cos ive heard of plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Virgin are looking to sponsor Waterford next year in the Hurling, The GAA have blocked the deal, they couldnt have Waterford with 'Virgin' on their jersey when they get fúcked by Kilkenny every year

Daysha wrote: »
    Decided to create this thread as an extension of the AI semi match discussion as that's slowly turning this direction anyway.

Suppose the main questions to be asked over the coming months are...
    • Is Davy Fitz the right man to lead us? And if not (or he decides to pack it in), who should we replace him with?
    • If Davy does stays on, what changes in his approach to the game should he make next year? Similarly, if a new man comes in, should he make wholesale changes to our panel and focus on the younger players, or are only minimal switches required to deliver an All-Ireland?
    • Could or should any of the current panel retire, and which players from the starting 15 should be dropped to make way for the youngsters coming through?
    • Which of the minors/U21s do you expect to make a big impact next year?
    • How would you like to see us line up for the start of the 2010 campaign, and how well do you see us doing?
    I'll post my own thoughts later on, just like to see what the general opinion is on these matters first.
    no. forget about davy. any manager that comes out after a match and says he doesnt know what hes doin next year , is putting himself on the market for a new job. get ger loughnane if ye can.
    if i was the manager id make minimal changes. most of the team at present are young enough.
    i was talking to someone closely involved with the team last night and i was asking him about tony browne. he said that tony told him that he felt better than ever and he couldnt see a reason why he couldnt continue for another year a t least. he also told me that the older one of the prendergasts seems to be losing interest and not to be surprised if he goes.
    also , rumour has it that theres a good bit of pressure on mike mac, the clare manager, to quit so that davy can take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

joeduggan wrote: »
    no. forget about davy. any manager that comes out after a match and says he doesnt know what hes doin next year , is putting himself on the market for a new job. get ger loughnane if ye can.
    if i was the manager id make minimal changes. most of the team at present are young enough.
    i was talking to someone closely involved with the team last night and i was asking him about tony browne. he said that tony told him that he felt better than ever and he couldnt see a reason why he couldnt continue for another year a t least. he also told me that the older one of the prendergasts seems to be losing interest and not to be surprised if he goes.
    also , rumour has it that theres a good bit of pressure on mike mac, the clare manager, to quit so that davy can take over.

The big question as i see it is, is there anyone available out there that could do a better job than Davy that we could get? Personally if Waterford could get Donal O Grady i'd stick Davy in a box and ship him back to Clare myself!:P However i couldnt see O Grady managing anyone apart from maybe a second stint at the Cork job so i think it would be foolish to get rid of Davy. Loughnane would be similar to Davy so i dont really see the point in trying to get him and with all the internal politics i'd be reluctant to give a Waterford man the job

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

KevIRL wrote: »
    Virgin are looking to sponsor Waterford next year in the Hurling, The GAA have blocked the deal, they couldnt have Waterford with 'Virgin' on their jersey when they get fúcked by Kilkenny every year

:P I couldn't help but laugh at it... Imagine, sadly there are no virgin stores, in ireland anyway. all sold to zavii which were sold to hmv :(

Anyhow Phelan has many rumours about him.
    I know for a fact earlier this season he had disagreements with club and county but I was told that was cleared up.
    I heard that for the last few weeks he was seeing some speaclist in Dublin about an on going ankle injury :confused:

Oh nd molumph should be fine for next year. He was orgialy scheduled to be gone for the hurling season, he swapped something or something!! He trains with the army iswell though I was reading somewhere and he's in Eoin Larkins section so they play together!! Even though Molumh can order him coz hes an officer and Larkins only a soldier :)
    Bit of useless info

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    with all the internal politics i'd be reluctant to give a Waterford man the job
    id agree 100% with you there. i dont think theres a waterford man good enough for the job anyway. or what about hte great jim greene????

id agree 100% with you there. i dont think theres a waterford man good enough for the job anyway. or what about hte great jim greene????

I dont think Jim Greene would be capable. I would like him to be up to the task but i have a nagging feeling he wouldnt. Sure he has a good record with Mount Sion and Carlow but his Mount Sion team couldnt beat Dunloy in the All Ireland Club championship a few years ago. IIRC he said in the aftermath the players were complacent and dead sure they were going to win. Surely as manager its his job to ensure they shouldnt have been

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I dont think Jim Greene would be capable. I would like him to be up to the task but i have a nagging feeling he wouldnt. Sure he has a good record with Mount Sion and Carlow but his Mount Sion team couldnt beat Dunloy in the All Ireland Club championship a few years ago. IIRC he said in the aftermath the players were complacent and dead sure they were going to win. Surely as manager its his job to ensure they shouldnt have been

Bit unfair to reference one game in isolation like that and btw that Dunloy team was a very very fine team indeed and were desperately unlucky not to win at least one AI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

YOu lad from dunhill called Eamon Murphy is the future off waterford hurling he is a machine about 16 years old

Bit unfair to reference one game in isolation like that and btw that Dunloy team was a very very fine team indeed and were desperately unlucky not to win at least one AI

I know its unfair to single out one game but ask any Waterford man why Jim Greene shouldnt be manager and i guarantee more often than not they will single out this game. It wasnt so much that they lost to Dunloy (who granted were a good team). It was the fact that he almost distanced himself from the result afterwards by saying the players were complacent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

I'm a Clare man, and I hope you keep Davy ;) Certainly don't want him up here, with his Davy is the most important man on earth mindset:p

I hope the management of this years under 21 side will get the Clare job after Mike Mac. Give them 3 years at the helm. Bring on what is a very good side, add in the best and younger players on the senior team.

Big bloddy shame, Tony Brown will retire without an all ireland medal to his name. He deserves one big time.

And yes, I agree with the poster who said Anthony Daly would be good for Waterford. Good tactician, good media precence, and seroius street cred with top players in the game.

Donal O Grady will never again manage intercounty in my opinion. Too long on the sidelines I would suggest.

So who does that leave ........ Ger Loughnane. Actually he might just about do the job for ye!! Jimmy Barry Murphy maybe :eek::eek:

r1

I dont think Jim Greene would be capable. I would like him to be
    id say ur the only fella in the county wud like to see him in charge. ive heard that glenn hoddle wud get it before jim greene would.

id say ur the only fella in the county wud like to see him in charge. ive heard that glenn hoddle wud get it before jim greene would.

Well i dont want him to get the job. I perhaps phrased that wrong. What i meant was that i would like to see a Waterford man who would be an exceptional candidate for the position. Sadly i cant think of one:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Probably the one most important factor why Jim Greene would never make a good Waterford manager is because he wouldn't gain the backing of the entire panel. Sure the Mount Sion lads would like him, but they don't have the force of numbers on the panel then they used to. I doubt the DLS, Ballygunner or any of the players playing out west would fully respect him as manager, and given what happened Justin last year, and given how important the next few years are for Waterford, it would be lunacy to go down that road again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Probably the one most important factor why Jim Greene would never make a good Waterford manager is because he wouldn't gain the backing of the entire panel. Sure the Mount Sion lads would like him, but they don't have the force of numbers on the panel then they used to. I doubt the DLS, Ballygunner or any of the players playing out west would fully respect him as manager, and given what happened Justin last year, and given how important the next few years are for Waterford, it would be lunacy to go down that road again.
    Nah not really...actually I dont know who would like him :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Nah not really...actually I dont know who would like him :confused:

Well l I'm a Ballygunner man myself so I'm open to correction bout the inside views of him in the Mount Sion camp.

Btw, who would have thought a few years ago that the "big two" would contribute only 4 players on a panel of 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Well l I'm a Ballygunner man myself so I'm open to correction bout the inside views of him in the Mount Sion camp.

Btw, who would have thought a few years ago that the "big two" would contribute only 4 players on a panel of 30!
    From what ive seen & heard in Mount Sion he's a person who'll critisise everything that goes wrong but wouldnt be able to come up on anything on his own.Not exactly what you need in a manager.

Its a good thing not being reliant on 2 team really.Now if Roanmore start getting involved more we know theres somethin wrong :pac:

I remember when I was younger and was at a Waterford match with my dad and we ran into this big into mount sion man and he was disgusted with the panel. Of course I had to ask why and he said why the hell is there only 12?(cant remember) mount sion men on the team, their should be 30!!

For the life of me I couldn't make sense of this until I started talking to more people and reading websites... Internel politics indeed.
    I'd love a Waterford manger but I just can not see it working at all, to much pride and crap.
    Sure isnt it this reason that we dont have a decent pitch but to half ass ones?? Coz Dungarven want fraher done up but Walsh park want theres done.....

O' Grady would be the great choice but I wouldnt be surprised if we have David Fitzgearld (:D) next year. But thats the players fault for getting into all this, thats were opening your mouths get ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

The future is very bright for Waterford hurling, but not under Davy Fitz. We have to get a proper coach in, someone that can see a switch when it has to be made and someone who is not learning as davy tells us he is doing all the time. Maye he should have learned the ropes before taking the job in the first place.

There is no doubt the Jim Greene is a proven coach, but i think to take on the senior team within the county might be a mistake, not only for himself, but also for the county. I think he would be best suited to some sort of director of coaching within the county.

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »
    The future is very bright for Waterford hurling, but not under Davy Fitz. We have to get a proper coach in, someone that can see a switch when it has to be made and someone who is not learning as davy tells us he is doing all the time. Maye he should have learned the ropes before taking the job in the first place.

All well and good but who is there out there thats better and available? I'm struggling to come up with alternatives

All well and good but who is there out there thats better and available? I'm struggling to come up with alternatives

I would say Nickey Cashin would take the job.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I would say Nickey Cashin would take the job.

Cashin is a name that pops up alright. I'm not sure how he would do to be honest. Maybe he might be better on the line but would the team be as fit, prepared as under Davy? I suppose its all moot, we will never know unless he actually gets the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

The future should be pretty bright after the great game you gave Kilkenny this year!

I don't know what to think.. Despite what some people say I don't think we've gotten worse this year. Question is how much better did we get.

I watched for the first time the other day Davys halftime pep talk... I really don't see how this of benefit to anyone, these scare tactics are not what we need. I think our motivation was powerful this year for almost every game, and alot of that is probs down to davy.

I think anyone who will try out the young fellas and ease them into inter county standard. Not to throw in 15 inexperienced players. They need to learn skill not just fitness. They need to discipline Eoin kelly... Most of all please be to the lord our father let them not be from Waterford!!!! Or we will never hear the end of whinging and whining from different people!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

deise_girl wrote: »
    I don't know what to think.. Despite what some people say I don't think we've gotten worse this year. Question is how much better did we get.

I watched for the first time the other day Davys halftime pep talk... I really don't see how this of benefit to anyone, these scare tactics are not what we need. I think our motivation was powerful this year for almost every game, and alot of that is probs down to davy.

I know a couple of guys and girls from the bridge and minor teams that he trains.
    They say the pep talks scare the living siht outta them but it really gets them motivated for the next 35 minutes.
    They must be working somebit....

I know a couple of guys and girls from the bridge and minor teams that he trains.
    They say the pep talks scare the living siht outta them but it really gets them motivated for the next 35 minutes.
    They must be working somebit....

Dont know about getting players motivated. I saw the thing on YOUTUBe that was filmed in the dressing rooms in Fraher Field i would say, and would think all davy did was make a prick out of himself.

I saw the LIT speech. I laughed a little though coz your man with the phone every few mins had to cover it, but I think Davy saw at the time what was happening.

I remember my dad told me a great story that was being passed around. I think it was loughnane when he had Clare and the speach was all scare tactics and banging the hurley here and there but in the middle of it when he brought the hurley back behind him to give a bigger bang it caught the light and place was in darkness!! Aperantly the guy that told it said all you could do was laugh!!
    Reminds me a bit of Davy

deise_girl wrote: »
    I saw the LIT speech. I laughed a little though coz your man with the phone every few mins had to cover it, but I think Davy saw at the time what was happening.

I remember my dad told me a great story that was being passed around. I think it was loughnane when he had Clare and the speach was all scare tactics and banging the hurley here and there but in the middle of it when he brought the hurley back behind him to give a bigger bang it caught the light and place was in darkness!! Aperantly the guy that told it said all you could do was laugh!!
    Reminds me a bit of Davy

Was the LIT one recorded in Fraher Field. The lay out of the dressing room is just like the ones in Dungarvan.

• Advertisement

I couldnt tell you. You'd know if it were the LIT team or not though coz the whole speach was geared towards getting the ball to Canning!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement