Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Still in the car on way home so will try and attempt some sort of write up later.

But Davy Fitzgerald, as soon as our Championship is over this year, I want you gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

KevIRL wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

We were so so bad. I've stuck up for him in the past but Davy's gotta go and the sooner the better. Too disgusted to even bother writing up any sort of report. Suffice to say that Browne, Moran and Mahony are the only ones to emerge with any credit really.

I was wondering how your post would go Kev. Agree with you on Davy. Thought he deserved his chance this season, having his own team at this stage but the performances just haven't been good enough. Again though, I just don't know who we can get to replace him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

We were so so bad. I've stuck up for him in the past but Davy's gotta go and the sooner the better. Too disgusted to even bother writing up any sort of report. Suffice to say that Browne, Moran and Mahony are the only ones to emerge with any credit really.

I was going to ask someone that defended Davy and shouted me down on here in the past to come on and tell us what they think now or if they could defend him and what he is up to. Maybe now that you have set the ball rolling others can also come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Deise Tom wrote: »

I was going to ask someone that defended Davy and shouted me down on here in the past to come on and tell us what they think now or if they could defend him and what he is up to. Maybe now that you have set the ball rolling others can also come in.

This isn't a case of who was right or wrong Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I dont think I've ever shouted you (or indeed anyone else) down on here.

Yep but definitely time for him to go, no doubt about it now, we were totally all at sea. I also think that the obvious failings of the manager here should not deflect from some very poor player performances, we are better than we showed today

I expect now, an improved performance, but an inevitable defeat against Galway (that unbeaten championship record against them to go). Then the search for a new manager begins.

• Advertisement

Daysha wrote: »
    Still in the car on way home so will try and attempt some sort of write up later.

But Davy Fitzgerald, as soon as our Championship is over this year, I want you gone.

I would like to see a few of those responsible for appointing him in the first place, last autumn to go as well, and when they go to appoint a new manager that everyone that is involved in the interview process enter them with an open mind, not like last year. I am not saying for a minute that any of the other three that wen against Davy would have helped us win today or have to win the All-Ireland, but it is a bloody disgrace that they were not given a fair interview. There is no doubt about it that some of those that carried them out last time had their minds well made up before them who was getting the job, and the clubs will also have to become more vocal. It is well known that some of them were opposed to Davy been appointed this year, yet when it was put to the floor at a county board meeting that Davy should be re-appointed not one of them spoke a word or opposed the appointment. They have to remember that while the officers may vote in block, if all the clubs were to cast their vote, they have the power to over turn the officers recomendations.

Daysha wrote: »
    This isn't a case of who was right or wrong Tom.

I know, but would like to say that my views on Davy could well be proven right today and i believe also in the past.

I dont think I've ever shouted you (or indeed anyone else) down on here.

Yep but definitely time for him to go, no doubt about it now, we were totally all at sea. I also think that the obvious failings of the manager here should not deflect from some very poor player performances, we are better than we showed today

I expect now, an improved performance, but an inevitable defeat against Galway (that unbeaten championship record against them to go). Then the search for a new manager begins.

I think that Waterford could well beat Galway and keep that record in tact. However for it to happen we have to play hurling as it should. The players in the past have made some tough calls as they saw fit and i would love to see them do it again. I would love to see them, if Davy was to persist with his shambolic tactics against Galway to defy what was planned on the training field and to go out and play as i know they can. Good players dont become bad players over night. We can win if we play the swashbuckling hurling that i have often refered to. For anyone to think we cant is a mad idea i think. We might not have the McGrath's Flynn's etc anylonger but we have some fine young hurlers whom i have seen playing from a very young age (west waterford primary schools competitions) in some cases. I think if some of them were allowed to play as they can, they could be nearly if not better than some of those that have proceeded them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Aww lawds, twould make you watery eyed...

Its actually unreal unfair to some of those players though. What he did to Jerome Maher, he humiliated the chap as bad as he did to Brian O' Halloran last year.. And to take Darragh Fives off when he did little more wrong than the other backs, all hes done is destroy their confidence..
    Also Brian O Sullivans taking off was pure, leave the big names on and take off the younger fellas..

But like the whole thing was a total mess, theres no point even singling out pieces coz it was ridiculous. IDK I was happy with Davy during the League and altho I didnt like the hurling style we were winning matches, but theres only so many times you can a watch a decent team get hammered unnecessarily.

Bleughhh. Just bleughh tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was anyone listening to the sh!te on WLR?
    Trying to hide any criticism and asking all texters to try be positive :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deise_girl wrote: »

Its actually unreal unfair to some of those players though. What he did to Jerome Maher, he humiliated the chap as bad as he did to Brian O' Halloran last year.. And to take Darragh Fives off when he did little more wrong than the other backs, all hes done is destroy their confidence..
    Also Brian O Sullivans taking off was pure, leave the big names on and take off the younger fellas..

But like the whole thing was a total mess, theres no point even singling out pieces coz it was ridiculous. IDK I was happy with Davy during the League and altho I didnt like the hurling style we were winning matches, but theres only so many times you can a watch a decent team get hammered unnecessarily.

Agreed. Brian O'Sullivan got little more than one ball, and he made a great run before being cynically brought down (hard to blam the Tipp back for that). He's come on a lot this year. Darragh Fives appeared to be doing alrite to me as well. Jerome Maher was screwed by the fact that he was being asked on his championship debut to mark hurler of the year, and paper over the deficiencies in Davy's managerial ability, like so many good players have done over the past three and a half years.

Paudie Mahony was good. Tony Browne was our best player, this guy is just the ultimate hero, words can't describe his amazingness!

When Brick moved centre back he played better, Waterford played better. Aiden Kearney has been screwed. Maurice did well when he came on, why did Eoin McGrath start? We're still not sure.

Put me on the ever increasing list of Waterford fans that think Fitzgerald should not be allowed beyond the County's borders ever again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

In fairness to the players, though many of them were nowhere near their best today, they did battle on until the end and deserve some credit for that. I think today has illustrated that Davy has probably gone as far as he can with this team. Tactically we were a shambles and if we are to have a chance against Galway, we need to pick a starting 15 and stick with it. I would play Liam Lawlor at full back and leave him there. He did fine when he came on. What killed the two lines of defence today was the constant chopping and changing everytime something went wrong in the first half. It was clear that this confused the players and badly sapped their confidence. They were lambs to the slaughter and I really felt sorry for them.
    I don't like criticising individuals and won't do so here but I do think it is now high time that Adrian Power was given his chance in goal. I would be interested to see if any others that were at the game today feel likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

doz wrote: »
    In fairness to the players, though many of them were nowhere near their best today, they did battle on until the end and deserve some credit for that. I think today has illustrated that Davy has probably gone as far as he can with this team. Tactically we were a shambles and if we are to have a chance against Galway, we need to pick a starting 15 and stick with it. I would play Liam Lawlor at full back and leave him there. He did fine when he came on. What killed the two lines of defence today was the constant chopping and changing everytime something went wrong in the first half. It was clear that this confused the players and badly sapped their confidence. They were lambs to the slaughter and I really felt sorry for them.
    I don't like criticising individuals and won't do so here but I do think it is now high time that Adrian Power was given his chance in goal. I would be interested to see if any others that were at the game today feel likewise.

It wasnt chopping and changing though. Tipp were the team moving around and on what I can only assume were Davys instructions, we were trying to go man for man following them everywhere. This was causing crap like brick being in the corner, connors being full back at one stage and leaving space everywhere! It was one of the stupidest plans Ive ever seen. Nobody knew where they were supposed to be and were getting destroyed everywhere.
    On Adrian Power id have to agree. Clinton has been a liability more then anything for a while.His shot stopping, puck outs and overall decision making are poor.
    On one thing actually, can anyone name a player whos actually gotten better since Davy took over? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

I havent read all the comments on here today,but Waterford "fans" should remember,this is the same Davy fitz who led ye to the AI final 3 years ago,the same davy fitz that cpt stephen Molumpy thanked in his speech after collecting the munster cup in a replay last year!

The players must accept that they were dreadful throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Davy has shot Wayne Hutchinson's confidence to pieces this year aswell don't forget. He has set back a few of them lads an awful lot. He has shown himself up to not be a good man manager. All this fire and brimstone with no substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Don't even want to talk about the game, horrible horrible fcuking horrible day. Minors beaten convincingly, seniors beaten after 10mins.

Any ideas where the Galway game will be on? If they've any sense they'll do another minor/senior double header but obviously that'll make too much sense for that to happen.

Agree re Clinton, Power must be given a chance next game. He surely would have saved at least 2 of those goals and picked out the majority of his puckouts. Clinton was very suspect today.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Mega Chin wrote: »
    On one thing actually, can anyone name a player whos actually gotten better since Davy took over? :confused:

Lar Corbett

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Was anyone listening to the sh!te on WLR?
    Trying to hide any criticism and asking all texters to try be positive :rolleyes:
    WLR always in cloud cookoo land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

It wasnt chopping and changing though. Tipp were the team moving around and on what I can only assume were Davys instructions, we were trying to go man for man following them everywhere. This was causing crap like brick being in the corner, connors being full back at one stage and leaving space everywhere! It was one of the stupidest plans Ive ever seen. Nobody knew where they were supposed to be and were getting destroyed everywhere.
    On Adrian Power id have to agree. Clinton has been a liability more then anything for a while.His shot stopping, puck outs and overall decision making are poor.

It was chopping and changing to the extent that, as you said, we were man marking rather than sticking to our positions. It was obviously a deliberate ploy from Tipp to exploit our full backline and it worked perfectly. In two weeks time we MUST have a settled full back line or Galway will try a similar thing with Canning and Hayes alternating.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

gobo99 wrote: »

Lar Corbett

You know things are bad when you dont even get annoyed by such comment and agree with its wit...

Davy had a lovely interview on WLR
    "Im sure Galway are shaking in their fucking boots"

Oh how he just oozes class -.-

• Advertisement

You know things are bad when you dont even get annoyed by such comment and agree with its wit...

Davy had a lovely interview on WLR
    "Im sure Galway are shaking in their fucking boots"

Oh how he just oozes class -.-

He also remarked how none of the players in the backs seemed to have any confidence. Eh? You think that might be down to how they are $hitting themselves to make any error vause they'll be cast out. You are the making of that lack of confidence Davy. Likewise the confidence boost Tipp must have gotten in seeing the team

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Davy fits needs to go lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think that Waterford could well beat Galway and keep that record in tact. However for it to happen we have to play hurling as it should. The players in the past have made some tough calls as they saw fit and i would love to see them do it again. I would love to see them, if Davy was to persist with his shambolic tactics against Galway to defy what was planned on the training field and to go out and play as i know they can. Good players dont become bad players over night. We can win if we play the swashbuckling hurling that i have often refered to. For anyone to think we cant is a mad idea i think. We might not have the McGrath's Flynn's etc anylonger but we have some fine young hurlers whom i have seen playing from a very young age (west waterford primary schools competitions) in some cases. I think if some of them were allowed to play as they can, they could be nearly if not better than some of those that have proceeded them.

Just off the phone with a friend of mine and I said the same thing. I can see Waterford winning if they go out and just play their own way, much in the way Ireland did against France in the infamous World Cup qualifier. They went out and just played soccer as well as they could and effectively defied the managerial strategy and it was the best they'd played in years! If we do win in two weeks' time, it'll be despite Davy, not because of him.

Painful viewing on RTE2 now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

i had zero confidence in us today.

i knew they would get goals and put us away early.

ive never wanted davy(i cant stand the man),and i stopped going to the games when he took over and after how justin was treated..

the days of us being a competitive force are over for a while..we need give the young fella's a chance to settle in and bulk up..we have a few who look promising.

we need a manager who will work on the hurling skills again because its going downhill over the last few years..

congrats to Tipp,hopefully yee will win back to back titles..as a hurling fan,i admire the way yee play the game.

John Mullane apologising to Waterford fans on the Sunday Game. Fair dues John.

Tipp FF line scored something like 6-13, ours got 3 or 4 points. Some difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

performance was very bad by Waterford, Tipps performance was brillent.

Us Waterford fans just have to forget about it and move on like the players will have too.

I just hope the intrest doesnt fade (players not giving a toss, Mangement/Player fall out) and Galway coming out and destroying us making us the laughing stock of the country.

Traffic was terrible down in Cork, the Stadium is a joke. How is that Tunnel inside the stadium safe to walk around ???

Id say Galways game will be davys last in charge of Waterford and i believe he done all he can and the players need a new approach. Would hate to see an old dinosuar like Jim Greene getting the job. Id like to see maybe a joint management taking over having a seperate manager and coach similar to what tipp has.

I think the Qf is on eithe 23rd/24th July possibly a triple header in Thurles or Croke Park (Minor Galway vs Waterford, Limerick vs Dublin and Galway vs Waterford)

You are right, what happened to the players today was a disgrace. Asking young inexperienced players to mark such players as Kelly, Corbett etc today was off the rocker, while players like Dec Pender who has so many years of experience were left sit in the stand.

Also agree that the young players played well in the league, but there is a big step up from League to Championship and more experienced players should have been used, leaving the younger players to gain championship experience as subs that came on during the game.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Brian O'Sullivan got little more than one ball, and he made a great run before being cynically brought down (hard to blam the Tipp back for that). He's come on a lot this year. Darragh Fives appeared to be doing alrite to me as well. Jerome Maher was screwed by the fact that he was being asked on his championship debut to mark hurler of the year, and paper over the deficiencies in Davy's managerial ability, like so many good players have done over the past three and a half years.

Paudie Mahony was good. Tony Browne was our best player, this guy is just the ultimate hero, words can't describe his amazingness!

When Brick moved centre back he played better, Waterford played better. Aiden Kearney has been screwed. Maurice did well when he came on, why did Eoin McGrath start? We're still not sure.

Put me on the ever increasing list of Waterford fans that think Fitzgerald should not be allowed beyond the County's borders ever again!

The Brick should never have been asked to play in the full back line. While he always gives it his all, he showed that when Justin had him at Full Forward a few years back that he is not the player we know he is. He needs to be out around the middle of the field. One think we have to give Davy a clap on the back for is putting him at centre back, but i think centre field is his best position or even centre forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement