Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Doz has a point in fairness lads. Nothing wrong with being worried about the team selection and our chances of winning but the attitude here mainly consists of "our half forward line can't win aerial ball, Tipp are invincible and will score at least 5 goals and they are going to fcuking destroy us". I've never seen this much pessimism from so many of our supporters.

The most annoying thing for me is Tipp are in no way invincible. But you have to be good, very good to beat them. I actually think this group of players could beat them. But not with the team selected, the flawed gameplan and the coaching being done. I really do think Fitzgerald has been a negative rather than a positive and a better manager people might be talking about the team as genuine all ireland contenders instead of talking up the great white hope Galway. Nevertheless, I will go on Sunday hoping to be wrong, that we win, and that we go on and win the all-ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Deisetrek wrote: »
    I would love nothing better than have to come on here Monday morning and eat humble pie 'cos Eoin Mc Grath cleaned his man out or Jerome Maher had a stormer (wherever he actually played) , but I'm sorry I just can't see it . There are always those in a team who are " flying at training" and any of us that are involved with training teams know what I mean , but there are also the lads who may not put 100% into their training but when it comes to the white heat of battle they're the ones you want alongside you in the trenches . Please God I'll have egg on my face come Monday................
    I'm less bothered about Jerome Maher than about Eoin McGrath. Assuming Brick is going in full-back then Maher might hit the ground running at corner-back and I'm confident Fives and Moran will acquit themselves well in the half-backs. But Eoin McGrath? He's had purple patches in his career but it's been a couple of years since he was a regular on the teamsheet and if Davy is right in saying that he's the best option then he's saying the various young forwards we've tried in recent times are not up to it. I don't know which worries more: the thought that he's right or the possibility he's wrong :(

Ask yourself was there as much pessimism before Fitzy announced his team last night ? Short answer .....no ...that's the point . I would have given us a serious chance before the team selection , but now ? Sorry to say no . :(
    In fairness, I wasn't optimistic before the team was announced. This is a very good Tipperary team, the team that finally stopped Kilkenny's gallop in the most emphatic manner imaginable. Even if we play at 100%, we might not win. I'm grateful to all the players and the management for what they do for my county. But I'm not going to kid myself about their prospects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Ask yourself was there as much pessimism before Fitzy announced his team last night ? Short answer .....no ...that's the point . I would have given us a serious chance before the team selection , but now ? Sorry to say no . :(
    There was a lot of pessimism before the team was announced, and we all knew Brick would be full back. The only thing we didn't know was that Maher and Murphy would be included. No matter what team we put out there we are really up against it. Who knows, Brick at full back could work a charm and Tipp get no goals while Mullane and Walsh belt in a few goals.

The players we have on our team are good enough to rattle Tipp so as far as I'm concerned it's all to play for. I can't fcuking wait for it anyway. It will be a miracle if we do it but sure I've seen plenty of magic from Waterford before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The players we have on our team are good enough to rattle Tipp so as far as I'm concerned it's all to play for. I can't fcuking wait for it anyway. It will be a miracle if we do it but sure I've seen plenty of magic from Waterford before.

Very true and I have been making the point to a few of my fellow Tipp fans during the week that if we give ye the 1-4 start we gave Clare, and lets be honest would have been something similar against Cork only for Cummins we will be in big trouble, if we let Waterford get into their stride we will be in trouble, first 15mins are vital, personally I think if Tipp get an early goal or build up any sort of a lead it will be a long day for them 6 backs, but if Waterford start well and get into their stride like Waterford can, we will be in big trouble.

My worry if I was a Waterford fan is that they go out kind of trying to stop Tipp more than win the game themselves that its a reciepe for disaster tbh, especially with as we expect an unproven intercounty FB and CB, a rookie corner back who will be marking one of two of the best forwards in the game, an aeging wingback and a relative newcomer on the other wing and finally a corner back with an injury doubt.

• Advertisement

There was a lot of pessimism before the team was announced, and we all knew Brick would be full back. The only thing we didn't know was that Maher and Murphy would be included. No matter what team we put out there we are really up against it. Who knows, Brick at full back could work a charm and Tipp get no goals while Mullane and Walsh belt in a few goals.

The backline;

Jerome Maher; First championship game for Waterford
    Brick Walsh; First championship game at full back, best centre back in the country
    Noel Connors; No concerns
    Tony Browne; Vital experience, but possibility of pace being too much (though I don't doubt Tony and he certainly wouldn't be a primary concern of mine. If he was I'd be feeling very happy about things)
    Kevin Moran; Can be very good but hasn't put in a whole performance where you'd say he was outstanding, which a centre back needs to be. He certainly won't be able to be as anonymous as he was the last day.
    Darragh Fives; First championship game at wing back, second championship game, good hurler, great prospect, but he's quite light.

It doesn't read well.

Very true and I have been making the point to a few of my fellow Tipp fans during the week that if we give ye the 1-4 start we gave Clare, and lets be honest would have been something similar against Cork only for Cummins we will be in big trouble, if we let Waterford get into their stride we will be in trouble, first 15mins are vital, personally I think if Tipp get an early goal or build up any sort of a lead it will be a long day for them 6 backs, but if Waterford start well and get into their stride like Waterford can, we will be in big trouble.

My worry if I was a Waterford fan is that they go out kind of trying to stop Tipp more than win the game themselves that its a reciepe for disaster tbh, especially with as we expect an unproven intercounty FB and CB, a rookie corner back who will be marking one of two of the best forwards in the game, an aeging wingback and a relative newcomer on the other wing and finally a corner back with an injury doubt.

You'd have to wonder what his game plan will be for puckouts. Will he draw men back? I agree, we should just go and have a go. In 2009, we conceded a few bad goals that could have been prevented had common sense been applied, not by playing 7 backs etc. We created goal chances early on, yet we only scored two. If we scored those goal chances and didn't do stupid things in the backline we could have won. Last year was a disaster from start to finish. You knew after ten minutes that Tipp had the game won.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

deiseach wrote: »
    In fairness, I wasn't optimistic before the team was announced. This is a very good Tipperary team, the team that finally stopped Kilkenny's gallop in the most emphatic manner imaginable. Even if we play at 100%, we might not win. I'm grateful to all the players and the management for what they do for my county. But I'm not going to kid myself about their prospects

I would agree with Mountainlad , they are far from invincible . I thought Clare gave them a right rattle and showed them to be vulnerable at times . We saw what Galway did to Clare, would we not (i.e. with a better team selection) be capable of rattling/ beating them ? I think as you do they are a very good team but we could have beaten them . Nicky English's team arrived in the Park in 2002 to collect the Munster Championship on the way to their 2nd successive All Ireland and got their tea in a mug . Tipp teams can display an arrogance and over confidence , hopefully judging by some of the posts I've seen they'll feel it's only a matter of turning up on Sunday as well . Unfortunately our team selection indicates we will be in trouble from the off . Maybe Fitzy is doing a Loughnane and he will have a few surprises in store for all of us ...........

Tipp teams can display an arrogance and over confidence , hopefully judging by some of the posts I've seen they'll feel it's only a matter of turning up on Sunday as well

I've seen this theory bandied about so many times, its like people think if they say it often enough it will be true, when or what team exactly have ever shown arrogance or disrespect to their opponents??

And what posts have you seen where anyone from Tipp has said its only a matter of Tipp turning up, sounds more like the stuff Davy comes up with to create a myth.

Maher and Murphy included ? Now that is magic ;) Here's to your miracle anyway ..............Gwan the Deise and the Baby Deise as well ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Rumours going about that Kelly will start ahead of McGrath, let's see.

I've seen this theory bandied about so many times, its like people think if they say it often enough it will be true, when or what team exactly have ever shown arrogance or disrespect to their opponents??

And what posts have you seen where anyone from Tipp has said its only a matter of Tipp turning up, sounds more like the stuff Davy comes up with to create a myth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadCharlie viewpost.gif
    Oh great Eoin McGrath is playing. We are doomed for sure.

As someone who has Paraic Maher backed @ 14/1 for HOTY I must say bravo Davy, bravo, you have indeed outdone yourself ;)

????????;)

lol thats the best you can come up with, every Waterford poster on here has bemoaned McGrath selection aswell, and if you bothered to read all of this thread or the matchday thread you will see I have consistently said that this game is no forgone conclusion and that Waterford have a great chance if they approach the game correctly and get on top early.

And my first point, what games in particular were you referring to where Tipp displayed arrogance and over confidence?? Back it up or retract it please, thank you.

"The view in the Premier County is that we’ll be disappointed if we don’t win by 18 points"

And yes, I realise that's just the attitude of some fella in a pub in Liverpool. But by golly, he meant it! :D

deiseach wrote: »
    "The view in the Premier County is that we’ll be disappointed if we don’t win by 18 points"

And yes, I realise that's just the attitude of some fella in a pub in Liverpool. But by golly, he meant it! :D

Add in the 1993 Munster Final perhaps ? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

The most annoying thing for me is Tipp are in no way invincible. But you have to be good, very good to beat them. I actually think this group of players could beat them. But not with the team selected, the flawed gameplan and the coaching being done. I really do think Fitzgerald has been a negative rather than a positive and a better manager people might be talking about the team as genuine all ireland contenders instead of talking up the great white hope Galway. Nevertheless, I will go on Sunday hoping to be wrong, that we win, and that we go on and win the all-ireland.

I agree. Waterford have some of the best players in the last ten years and more playing senior hurling and have some of the best young players coming through but dont think the best will be seen in them under the current management set up, or maybe more correctly with the tactics they use. While it is great to see so many young players getting a chance to play under Davy, the way teams are coached is not great. I would love to be able to see them play hurling the way that Justin coahced, waterford teams while he was in charge. If we could get someone in that could do this or if Davy was to remain in charg but change his coaching ways, i could see Munster and All-Irelands coming across the Suir and across the Blackwater on a regular basis for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Do anyone really think that the team will be the team that starts?

I don't for the simple reason that its just too strange to be true and you can't trust what plan is running around Davy's head. The players aren't the issue, the problem is that Davy doesn't seem to learn from his past mistakes and his tactics are often dire.

Now let ye all turn on TG4 and believe

What is/was on TG4, 2002?

Liam Griffin said on Newstalk; 'I don't think that Jerome Maher in the corner, Brick at full back and Moran centre is going to contain the Tipp forwards'

So, it is clear everyone knows what way the team will line out and the only person Davy is fooling is himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

hennessey [god knows why stick a hurley on his hole he turns his arse 2 everything]maher d fives.conors cut out short game just get rid of the f@:>king thing. tony must play out of his skin @38.k moran r foley.brick molumphy.p mahoney.sully.eoin mullane s walsh b o sullivan now if i had davys jobit would be like this and id save co board 50 k in expenses.players selected from current panel and fit adrian power. e murphy.d fives.connors.r foley.k.moran.j nagle.brick molumphy.p mahoney.sully.e kelly.mullane.sheamus pend.shane walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

All joking aside I still think there are two teams in this game capable of winning, nobody is going to Cork to make up the numbers, come the day we will be all roaring on our team. The day is forcast fine the beer will be dear but the craic should be ninety one day to go I can't wait. Also we have the minors to shout for we must be doing something right. Goodluck to everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

1. Kieran Cotter Geraldines
    •2. Maurice O'Gorman The Nire
    •3. Thomas O'Gorman The Nire
    •4. Eamonn Walsh Ballinameela
    •5. Tony Grey Stradbally
    •6. Kieran Connery Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    •7. Wayne Hennessey Ardmore
    •8. Mick Ahearne Kill
    •9. Gary Hurney Ballinacourty
    •10. Cillian O'Keeffe Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    •11. Sean Fleming Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    •12. Paul Whyte Kilrossanty
    •13. Brian Wall The Nire
    •14. Brian Phelan Ballinameela
    •15. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty

Cá bhfuil Liam Ó Lionáin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Agus Gary Hurney freisin. That must be the smallest intercounty half forward line in the country lining out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

doz wrote: »
    On what other basis does one then pick the team if it's not based on training??? :confused: in an amateur sport you can't pick players on the basis of reputation alone.

Actually reputation comes into play a lot of the time. From my own experience with county sides, I've seen lads who've been flying in training coming into championship, but flopping out in the big game. There are many players who can't perform under big pressure, and others who will be either holding themselves back in training and saving their energy/appetite for the big occasion.

I'd definitely be wary if the manager was picking the team just on how training was going. Imagine if he left the likes of Mullane on the bench!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I love how every person on this forum has a better idea then the 3 men who train the team week in week out. Aside from last years semi disaster, and thats exactly what it was, I'd be quiet confident in davy. Any word on liamy lawlor?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Good point O Riain I hope we will all be celebrating tomorrow but you know I have my doubt's about the team selected to play . Tipp look to be stronger this year and all this talk about how well we played when down to thirteen men in the league doesn't make much sense to me. I was at that game and I came away from Thurles very disappointed that evening ,we should be gone a past moral victories, if we had won that game we would have qualified for a League Final. As I have said I have doubts but I will still travel with a bit of hope, when your playing such a good team your bound to have a dose of the jitters, just as well I'm not playing come to think of it if I was Tony Browne would only be a chap All the same Minor and Senior is a great achievement for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Minor team for tomorrow:

Cooke
    Barron
    Ahern
    Walsh
    O'Neill
    Foley
    Barry
    McNulty
    O'Brien
    Dunford
    Dillon
    Flynn
    O'Sullivan
    Bennet
    Chester

Best of luck to the buachailli.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

What time's the football on at lads? Hardly being shown by anyone, is it?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    What time's the football on at lads? Hardly being shown by anyone, is it?

6-30. Wlr will have updates, cant say how many of them however. The amount of sports updates on some programmes, especially at the weekends is rather poor. I know for some shows there is a good reason, the programmes are pre-recorded.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Minor team for tomorrow:

Cooke
    Barron
    Ahern
    Walsh
    O'Neill
    Foley
    Barry
    McNulty
    O'Brien
    Dunford
    Dillon
    Flynn
    O'Sullivan
    Bennet
    Chester

Best of luck to the buachailli.

Would expect a change or two before the throw in, maybe Colin Dunford and Ray Barry swapping for starts.

• Advertisement

Bhuel, níl sé ag tosnú ar aon nós...nó b'fhéidir go bhfuil cleas éigean ag John Owens.
    hardybuck wrote: »
    Agus Gary Hurney freisin. That must be the smallest intercounty half forward line in the country lining out tomorrow.

Look again in midfield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement