Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Welfare scrounge' family fumes over benefits story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Kradock wrote: »
    I don't think it is bull**** , there are houses provided in the area I live to single mothers with 2 children , when i spoke to a county councillor about this he informed me that because the children as they grow will need their own room then that is why they are provided 3 bedroom houses. Using that logic , and its not mine ,a family with 6 kids would need at least a 7 bedroom house.

As far as I know (admittedly hearsay but probably can be checked) the guidelines are to separate boys from girls in council housing to prevent abuse etc.

So it's not "a room per kid" but "a room per gender", and more if needed only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 celticbhoy2009

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    ok now that we have figures from you (thanks!) we can do some maths and revise my numbers

lets ignore the kids allowance and you claim no rental allowance and since a man with 6 kids working full time would get the same allowance

dole @ €482 * 52 = €25,064
    + free medical care

you would need to work at a full time job that pays

€34,000 before taxes thats €27724.16 after taxes

minus

VHI Family Plan for 2 adults + 6 kids = €2,684 a year

= €25,040.16

thats more or less what you get on dole now @ €25,064

So where would you find a job that pays more than €34K ?

And would you work full time at such a job while knowing you could be getting the same amount by sitting at home?

btw your 3 jobs were earning you €484 * 52 = €25168 before taxes back in 2004

im not an accountant but it was a godo move to go one welfare "mate" ;)

/

If all i was concerned about was free money and sitting on my arse would i not have went on welfare when i had 1 child or 2 or 3 or 4 or even 5...you ask me to explain and give figures yet all you come back with is smart ass answers..i do not are you hearing me..i DO NOT want to remain on welfare..i had no choice atthe time..maybe your morals and mine are different..but i was taught as a man you are responsible for the welfare of your family..well my wife needed me and my kids needed me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

herya wrote: »
    As far as I know (admittedly hearsay but probably can be checked) the guidelines are to separate boys from girls in council housing to prevent abuse etc.

You maybe right but I can only go by what I was told , you would think the councillor would know but then again ......

Look im been honest here ok..i couldnt care less if it was a 1 bedroom house.better than being on the streets..the size of a house has no meaning to myself or my wife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

are you even listening to what i have said..i have never said i want more..i went to the press as a last resort because i was sick to death of seeing my wife break down in tears..we at this moment in time have our belongings packed and in our car as we know that by the end of this week if even that long we are on the streets..i went to the press to beg the council to house us..i dont know what to do anymore i really dont..i dont know how to fix this mess..you have no idea what we are going thru ..my 4 year old has lived in 6 different houses hard to believe..my son ger is 12 and doesnt have a single friend as were never in any area long enuff for the kids to make friends..im heartbroken as i feel ive let my whole family down..my kids cry wen they have to move school which tears a fathers heart out to see..there has never been stability in their lives and do you think im proud of that..im not i feel a total failure ..i wud do anything i can..il scrub floors whatever it takes..all i want is to be a proper dad and husband i dont care where i have to live i dont care what work i have to do

I understand when you feel a failure-I feel that way too about my kids. We've moved in five different houses and my kids have no friends at all where we live at the moment but needs must and I'm doing the best I can.
    I have in the past, and will do again if necessary, scrubbed floors. I'm job hunting again at the moment as I'm losing my current job in December. Get on to jobs.ie-there are loads of jobs on this site-inclucing cleaning jobs!

• Advertisement

..but i was taught as a man you are responsible for the welfare of your family..

So you made the taxpayer responsible for the welfare of your family instead.

Look I'm very sorry to hear about your family's trouble but it looks like this:

- you decided to have a huge family on your nearly minimum wages
    - you didn't think what kind of pressure it can put on your wife
    - you gave up your job for 5 years as the benefits combined were much better than what you had
    - you got a council house but didn't like it
    - you gave it up, miscalculated and now the money is tight
    - you went to the press & miscalculated as they decided to use you as a black sheep and not wounded innocence

I do hope you will be able to find a job for the sake of your family though. Best of luck with this.

I don't think it is bull**** , there are houses provided in the area I live to single mothers with 2 children , when i spoke to a county councillor about this he informed me that because the children as they grow will need their own room then that is why they are provided 3 bedroom houses. Using that logic , and its not mine ,a family with 6 kids would need at least a 7 bedroom house.

You bought a house to suit your financial status , I am guessing, and not one for your practical needs.

I think the council's logic is bull. If it's ok to get a mortgage and squish kids into a house can't see why the council's take the same ethos.

Yes, I bought my house as it was all I could afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

I kmow cnuts on the social for most of there adult life and i know some of my friends who have worked and would gladly work now struggle to get anything even do they contributed so much it's an effing disgrace:eek::eek:

Thank you all for allowing me to have my say and to try to put my points accross..i respect all your views and opinions of me and my family..i am now going to focas all my energy on getting my family out of this situation so i will say goodnight and godbless
    i wont be making any further posts as i feel there is no more i can say..the public have made their minds up about me already and to be honest even though it hurts to hear what people think of me i have far more important things to worry about

Gerard Harte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

If all i was concerned about was free money and sitting on my arse would i not have went on welfare when i had 1 child or 2 or 3 or 4 or even 5...you ask me to explain and give figures yet all you come back with is smart ass answers..i do not are you hearing me..i DO NOT want to remain on welfare..i had no choice atthe time..maybe your morals and mine are different..but i was taught as a man you are responsible for the welfare of your family..well my wife needed me and my kids needed me

dude

1. you admitted that you quit ~€25K a year total jobs in 2004

2. since the you sat on welfare, with the figures you provided what you are getting now for not working is an equivalent of €34K job

3. you went to the media so council would pay for your 8 bedroom house

a 5 bed house (i could find any larger or 8 bed ones for sale in ardna) in your area costs €400k

thats €1300 a month in mortgage repayments!

im sorry due but you are a scrounger

milking welfare was the best move you sir ever made

going to the newspapers asking for more was the most stupid move you made

• Advertisement

Look im been honest here ok..i couldnt care less if it was a 1 bedroom house.better than being on the streets..the size of a house has no meaning to myself or my wife

Seeing how you're being honest, I will be also. Apparantly you had a council house (?) although admittedly not in the most appealing part of the world. I too had to endure 6 years of living in two different council houses over a period of 6 years and I hated it, so I appreciate your concern. I couldn't let my daughter out to play because the area was so rough. BUT, I put up with it because I had no choice! Needs must!!

From what I can see and from reading your posts it would seem that you are taking responsibility for your family . You will get plenty of smart asses here giving you the whats what , but bottom line is as a citizen of this country and as your kids are citizens of this country you are entitled to have a roof over your head and some stability in your life. You don't strike me as a scrounger you strike me as a person who has made decisions based on what life has thrown you. Others will not see things this way but after all everyone is entitled to their opinion. As I have said before I don't think you have done anything wrong , it is the system that is wrong . For people to question the number of kids you have then sadly they should fook off to China. Its great to see so many people on here that have roadmapped every step of their lives and futures , some will find that that can be very flawed as life jumps up and bites them no matter how well thought out their map is.

Ger keep fighting and I sincerely hope that you take the sindo to task on any of the incorrect quotes they have attributed to you. Remember you are entitled to free legal aid.:)

I hope your kids and wife , and you get through this .

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Good luck Ger, Hope everything works out for you and your family.

From what I can see and from reading your posts it would seem that you are taking responsibility for your family . You will get plenty of smart asses here giving you the whats what , but bottom line is as a citizen of this country and as your kids are citizens of this country you are entitled to have a roof over your head and some stability in your life. You don't strike me as a scrounger you strike me as a person who has made decisions based on what life has thrown you. Others will not see things this way but after all everyone is entitled to their opinion. As I have said before I don't think you have done anything wrong , it is the system that is wrong . For people to question the number of kids you have then sadly they should fook off to China. Its great to see some many people on here that have roadmapped every step of their lives and futures , some will find that that can be very flawed as life jumps up and bites them no matter how well thought out their map is.

Ger keep fighting and I sincerely hope that you take the sindo to task on any of the quotes they have attributed to you. Remember you are entitled to free legal aid.:)

look at my figures and calculations

is this guy milking the system or not?

a "scrounger" is to tame a word

prove me wrong, i worked with the figures he gave me

as a citizen of this country and as your kids are citizens of this country you are entitled to have a roof over your head and some stability in your life

Entitled entitled entitled - that's three times you used this word in your post - I'm sure Ger will love this.

Its great to see some many people on here that have roadmapped every step of their lives and futures , some will find that that can be very flawed as life jumps up and bites them no matter how well thought out their map is.

Ger keep fighting and I sincerely hope that you take the sindo to task on any of the quotes they have attributed to you. Remember you are entitled to free legal aid.:)

Just like to point out- I do not have my life roadmapped for me, as I'm sure is the same with many others who have posted here. My life has been one piece of c**p after another-life has ( and continues too :rolleyes:) jump up and bite me on a constant basis.
    I too wish Ger all the best and hope he will find a job. Maybe he will come back and let us know how he's getting on...

Entitled entitled entitled - that's three times you used this word in your post - I'm sure Ger will love this.

i cant believe people actually are siding with him

hes a cheeky benefit fraudster

Splendour wrote: »
    . Maybe he will come back and let us know how he's getting on...
    he should sell his story to the newspapers :D

i cant believe people actually are siding with him

he should sell his story to the newspapers :D

Ooh you're bold ;)

S'pose I like to see a story from all sides myself...

Maybe it was not his intention to start with but the whole situation is a perfect example of how people
    1st don't think about the consequences of anything
    2nd as soon as they feel the consequences catch up they turn on "I'm entitled" mode.

5 kids on <25k - ffs - we should have a dozen by his calculations!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 macshean

I bough an apartment in Newbridge last year and because the builder can't sell them he's taking in rent allowance tents, the trouble is most of them are now eastern europeans that will not **** off home because they get paid more weelkly off the social welfare than working at home in their own country, working full time. All they seem to do is drink and play loud music and admire their A6 cars!! No repective for were their living becuase it's easy come!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

macshean wrote: »
    All they seem to do is drink and play loud music

While roasting a few Swans on the barbie no doubt.

Splendour wrote: »
    Ooh you're bold ;)

S'pose I like to see a story from all sides myself...

hows this for a story of 2 sides

Exibit A - Ger's Family
    * 8 bed house paid by council until recently in clare
    * 6 kids and whatever welfare (~1000)
    * sick wife at home requiring healthcare
    * dole @ €482 * 52 = €25,064
    * free full medical healthcare courtesy of state

Exibit B - Honest Family
    * 8 bed in clare (@€;600K cheapest 8bed i could find in clare none in same area) that works out at mortgage payment of €2000 a month
    * 6 kids and whatever welfare (~1000)
    * sick wife at home requiring healthcare
    * VHI Family Plan for 2 adults + 6 kids = €2,684 a year

the man would need a after tax income of €29,748 (€2,684 + €2000 + €25,064)

thats means Honest Man needs to hold a fulltime job of €37,000 before tax to pay for family + healthcare + mortgage

So Ger gets the same benefits for doing nothing as

as Honest Man who is working full time for €37000 a year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Don't know why the indo kept referring to the Childrens allowance as even the likes of Michael Smurfit would have been entitled to it were his kids of qualifying age.

look at my figures and calculations

is this guy milking the system or not?

a "scrounger" is to tame a word

prove me wrong, i worked with the figures he gave me

I am not going to question your figures , they maybe right , they may not. I don't really care. The the man has made a decision to quit 3 jobs so as to be at home with his sick wife and his kids . How many kids he has is irrelevant in my eyes. Child benefit is paid equally no matter what your financial status in this country. Woman on 100K a year with 6 kids gets the same as man on the dole . Flawed system ? . The man and I think I have said it a few times , is only claiming what he is entitled to. If you think it is too much then fine take it up with the government. You can not accuse the man of being a scrounger without assuming that all social welfare receipients are scroungers. Is everyone who gets benefit milking the system , yes some are as the system is flawed in so many ways. Some are not , as I beleive is the case here , I would probably make the same decisions as he has made being in his shoes. I can feel the mans desperation from the posts he has made , he is at his wits end , I have been homeless at times in my life and I can tell you that it is the most terrifying , humiliating thing that any human has to endure , try adding a wife that suffers from depression , a terrible sickness and 6 kids into the equasion and as a person with a heart I feel for him . The man was holding down jobs when he had 5 kids , he couldn't continue that and I can fully understand why having been in a relationship with a person who suffered from depression , a person that couldn't mind themselves let alone a child.

He says he wants to work , I beleive him , any man would want to , its engrained in us to provide . He has chosen family over work. He contributed to society while working and though you may not think it he still does , the money he gets from the state goes back into the economy in some form or other , as does the money that is provided to all social welfare receipients. Its just harder for people to acknowledge this . To have a witchhunt because the rag that is the sunday Independant printed a story show s alack of intelligence for many . Fair paly to the man for coming on here and trying to give his side of the story . For that and his willingness to stick by his family when many men , and it happens all too often in this country would have fooked off by now.

I think people should be more sympathetic to his plight , I for one can empathise.

I think people should be more sympathetic to his plight , I for one can empathise.

plight?

the guy gets the same benefits for not working

as some other as Honest Man who is working full time for €37000 a year

scourge would be a more appropriate word

now that i did the figures im even more enraged
    :mad:

Don't know why the indo kept referring to the Childrens allowance as even the likes of Michael Smurfit would have been entitled to it were his kids of qualifying age.

see my post above yours, childrens allowance doesn't matter when compared to a working family with 6 kids in same position

The same as you are entitled to benefits if you need them , if that time comes you will aslo love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

It doesnt matter if you come from a poor background or a rich one,yeah across the water we aint the U.K.Imagine this guy debating this on the radio calling people you dont know "mate" is scummy

A guy came to our door one day selling broadband and in a heavy limerick accent said to my dad "Well mate,are you interested in.."...my dad said i aint you mate,said no thanks and locked the door,its not classy behaviour.Its like calling people bud,cuz etc

enough about the MATE calling , its hardly a capital offence , if thats the worst this man is guilt of , i wont loose sleep , that ok PAL

The same as you are entitled to benefits if you need them , if that time comes you will aslo love it.

entitled?

he went from a 25000 before tax job to an 25000 with no tax welfare (that doesnt include rent or children's allowance btw)

are you blind to the obvious scam here :eek:

macshean wrote: »
    I bough an apartment in Newbridge last year and because the builder can't sell them he's taking in rent allowance tents, the trouble is most of them are now eastern europeans that will not **** off home because they get paid more weelkly off the social welfare than working at home in their own country, working full time. All they seem to do is drink and play loud music and admire their A6 cars!! No repective for were their living becuase it's easy come!!:mad:

Again because the system is flawed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

stepbar wrote: »
    And you don't have the knowledge or right to determine if someone who is depressed / or not is abusing the system or not.

ive no problem someone taking time off work if thier depressed , i dont however believe the state has any responsibility to compensate someone for having depression

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement