Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Welfare scrounge' family fumes over benefits story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 _o_

On reflection I like the part about the TV only costing 400.

I hope I am never in the sh1t but I would like to think a TV would be way down on my list if things to have bar an old 14inch @ 20 euro or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Kradock wrote:
    What law has this man broken . Go on tell me .

Depends on what allowances he was claiming. He might be entitled to claim carer's allowance for looking after his wife full time but if he was claiming jobseeker's allowance while not seeking a job, then he was doing so fraudulently.

Why are people defending people abusing the system? Don't abuse them, the system needs changing.

That is a fact.

If I thought I could get away off living off the system I'd be tempted but I am no Richard Branson :)

Sadly I am pre-designed to look after myself and earn me monies.

Sadly also I can do math.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    you get taxed to your eyeballs

Not really if you do your taxes correctly.
    would you not get depressed if you don't have a job to occupy your mind and have 6 screaming kids running circles around you

Have you ever seen some depressed? I doubt not because I've never seen such an ignorant comment in my life. You do understand if one was depressed you wouldn't give a sh1te if there was 6 kids running around you. When I was young I remember times my mother being so depressed that she couldn't even make dinner for us after school. My da basically looked after us during those periods - leaving us to / picking us up from school and dropping us home. And then back to work he went til he came home late at night. There was only 2 of us so we weren't going to kill each other so I can see why it was necessary for him to give up his job to mind 6 kids because his wife was not able to do so. So if you knew anything about depression you wouldn't even sa anything of the sort.

However on the other hand I'll add; Gerard, what most people are annoyed at is that you continued to have children despite not being able to afford them. Forget about the benefits for a moment. People are annoyed that you hadn't the cop on to stop at 2-3 kids and provide for them within your means (and by providing for them means from the day they are born to the day they get a job to include schooling, college etc). Now the taxpayer is left with having to support 8 people and inverably your kids stand a lesser chance getting to college because you won't be able to sent them all to same. Your suitation might have been a lot easier had you decided on leaving it at 2-3 kids. That's what people are annoyed at. The benefits are there to be claimed by those who are needy however that doesn't make it right either. You chose to have more kids than you could afford however everyone else suffers the consequences of having to pay for them. You should be also made to shoulder some responcibility as well. It can't be all take take take.

I hate to say this but the Chinese (as fcuked up as their society is) had the right idea when they imposed mandatory limits on family size.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

What about this quote from the independent Ger:
    Ger Harte freely admits that: "There's a guy that keeps asking me would I go full-time with him," he says, but he reckons that would be a sucker move.

What's that about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Why hate those people? It is the system in operation which allows for that to happen. Directing our anger properly instead of seeing everything in a red haze is what should be done;

no welfare for anyone!

What becomes of the people who have spent the last twenty odd years working and now have lost thier jobs, or the elderly who have worked all their lives and now are surviving on the state pensions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 celticbhoy2009

What's that about?
    As i stated before
    "dont believe everything you read"
    The media took most of my quotes and twisted them
    I am taking the proper steps to deal with that
    I cannot comment further on that issue at this time
    But i will say..that statement is not accurate

What's that about?

Have you ever thought that might not be a true quote.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Kradock wrote: »
    I come from a family of 9 , all raised on a single employed wage. we didn't sell or eat any of my siblings.

And your point at me is?if my sister had another child they could not afford what do you think that would be?great news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

stepbar wrote: »
    Not really if you do your taxes correctly.

you mean "avoid" them ;)

no sorry that only works if you are a bank boss :(

as for rest of your comment, it was a tongue in cheek joke since we dont know why she was depressed

tho living in a kindergarten might be a cause :o

• Advertisement

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    What becomes of the people who have spent the last twenty odd years working and now have lost thier jobs, or the elderly who have worked all their lives and now are surviving on the state pensions

do what they do in US and other countries

year 1: 100% of your salary
    year 2: 50%
    year 3: 25%

and so on

theres a difference between social insurance and welfare

the above makes people go back to work

Wertz wrote: »
    No shortage of stuck up people though it would seem...the guy comes on here to fight his corner (and fair f*cks to him for that) and all you can do is goad him with thinly veiled snobbery? Nice.

For all the stick the Sindo gets on these message boards, a lot of you are more than willing to take what they say as gospel the moment it suits you, without giving the man who the story refers to a chance to tell you his side of things...

So Wertz you think calling someone "mate" is a proper way of speaking to people your trying to get on your side.Im not a snob i like to act like a decent person,i think people using the word to people who are not their "mate"is tacky and scummy

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Have you ever thought that might not be a true quote.....

Of course it might not be. The whole thing might have been made up. Ger has the opportunity to clear it all up now if he wants. What was said if that comment is not accurate?

So Wertz you think calling someone "mate" is a proper way of speaking to people your trying to get on your.Im not a snob i like to act like a decent person,i think people using the word to people who are not their "mate"is tacky and scummy

My best friend calls me mate. Neither of us come from poor backgrounds. Most people in bars across the water call everyone mate "Alrite mate" this and that.

Yet you think it's tacky and scummy. Talk about over kill :rolleyes:

do what they do in US and other countries

year 1: 100% of your salary
    year 2: 50%
    year 3: 25%

and so on

theres a difference between social insurance and welfare

the above makes people go back to work

Not getting that.
    Is your name boards.ie backwards? or are my eyes all over the place (Likely)

Can Ger Harte gives us his numbers?

you mean "avoid" them ;)

no sorry that only works if you are a bank boss :(

Fair enough if you want to continue paying 20k in taxes by all means go ahead. As I've said I can't for the life of me see how you are not earning a decent living.
    as for rest of your comment, it was a tongue in cheek joke since we dont know why she was depressed

tho living in a kindergarten might be a cause :o

There in lies the problem, people's attidute towards depression. You (and many others) are the problem. Depression is not a "tongue in cheek joke" issue. It's a very serious issue. You belittling it does not help.

What's that about?

Both you and i know that papers will say whatever the hell they like with no thought for the aftermath.is all about selling papers this has being happening since papers began..instead of going after me for something that i did not do..i do not decide what benifits i get..thats down to our government is it not..yes i know its hard on the tax payer im not denying that.just because im on welfare does not mean i have no understanding of whats going on in our country im actually in favour of the cutbacks they are considering..but why does our government not look at the full picture..bailing out banks that made awful desicions thats costing millions small buisnesses collapsing all the time .paying out millions on tribunerals that only solicotors did well out of..health exectutives that are on more money than obama..bertie ahearn with his amnesia that dont remember lodgements to his account..property devolepers buying off politicions..there they people that should be attacked not a family that is tryin to get back on its feet ..so whos the criminals here..its certainly not me..

what numbers are you referring to?

yep if the papers got it wrong we ought to know, also figures (all welfare income + breakdown) can be used to compare against a tax calculator to see what sort of a job he would need to get to have same standard of living

Fair enough if you want to continue paying 20k in taxes by all means go ahead. As I've said I can't for the life of me see how you are not earning a decent living.

There in lies the problem, people's attidute towards depression. You (and many others) are the problem. Depression is not a "tongue in cheek joke" issue. It's a very serious issue. You belittling it does not help.

1. i dont want to continue its a pointless excercise starting a business in this country

2. i dunno people do use "depression" as an excuse to claim disability allowance
    _o_ wrote: »
    Not getting that.
    Is your name boards.ie backwards? or are my eyes all over the place (Likely)

sey :P

• Advertisement

My best friend calls me mate. Neither of us come from poor backgrounds. Most people in bars across the water call everyone mate "Alrite mate" this and that.

Yet you think it's tacky and scummy. Talk about over kill :rolleyes:
    It doesnt matter if you come from a poor background or a rich one,yeah across the water we aint the U.K.Imagine this guy debating this on the radio calling people you dont know "mate" is scummy

A guy came to our door one day selling broadband and in a heavy limerick accent said to my dad "Well mate,are you interested in.."...my dad said i aint you mate,said no thanks and locked the door,its not classy behaviour.Its like calling people bud,cuz etc

what numbers are you referring to?
    Well if you want everyone here to change their view why dont you put up your facts and figures and we can work them out

yep if the papers got it wrong we ought to know, also figures (all welfare income + breakdown) can be used to compare against a tax calculator to see what sort of a job he would need to get to have same standard of living

1. i dont want to continue its a pointless excercise starting a business in this country

2. i dunno people do use "depression" as an excuse to claim disability allowance

I assure you my wifes depression was no" excuse" ..if you do not understand the illness then its best you dont comment on it..its not something to joke about it is a very serious ilness and is very dangerous

sey :P

I assure you my wifes depression was no" excuse" ..if you do not understand the illness then its best you dont comment on it..its not something to joke about it is a very serious ilness and is very dangerous

Both you and i know that papers will say whatever the hell they like with no thought for the aftermath.is all about selling papers this has being happening since papers began..instead of going after me for something that i did not do..i do not decide what benifits i get..thats down to our government is it not..yes i know its hard on the tax payer im not denying that.just because im on welfare does not mean i have no understanding of whats going on in our country im actually in favour of the cutbacks they are considering..but why does our government not look at the full picture..bailing out banks that made awful desicions thats costing millions small buisnesses collapsing all the time .paying out millions on tribunerals that only solicotors did well out of..health exectutives that are on more money than obama..bertie ahearn with his amnesia that dont remember lodgements to his account..property devolepers buying off politicions..there they people that should be attacked not a family that is tryin to get back on its feet ..so whos the criminals here..its certainly not me..

Here in lies the problem, the society who refuses to take the blame for anything. "If not my fault yada yada". I suppose who could blame you when as a nation our standards are matched up against the people who run the country.

Well let me tell you it is your fault that you decided to have kids you couldn't pay for. That is your fault not anyone elses. As for the rest well that's not something you have control of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

kraggy wrote: »
    When you say you're emigrating to Australia, how long are you going for? Emigrating to me means going for the foreseeable future. .

Or are you an Australian citizen?

What it means to you, and what it actually means are two differant things...

Also:
    You can't get a working permit for more than the standard 1 year holiday-working visa as far as I know

Your information on this is not correct.

It doesnt matter if you come from a poor background or a rich one,yeah across the water we aint the U.K.Imagine this guy debating this on the radio calling people you dont know "mate" is scummy

A guy came to our door one day selling broadband and in a heavy limerick accent said to my dad "Well mate,are you interested in.."...my dad said i aint you mate,said no thanks and locked the door,its not classy behaviour.Its like calling people bud,cuz etc

Have you ever heard of the word "context". Think about that one for a moment.

Here in lies the problem, the society who refuses to take the blame for anything. "If not my fault yada yada". I suppose who could blame you when as a nation our standards are matched up against the people who run the country.

Well let me tell you it is your fault that you decided to have kids you couldn't pay for. That is your fault not anyone elses. As for the rest well that's not something you have control of.

I had the means to pay for my children ..and i will do again..it is my right to have a family and i do not regret having 6 kids .i worked and supported 5 and as soon as i get employment i will again support them

You're starting to p1ss me off.

I had the means to pay for my children ..and i will do again..it is my right to have a family and i do not regret having 6 kids .i worked and supported 5 and as soon as i get employment i will again support them

You didn't. You already mentioned that when you were working you did 3 jobs to keep the show on the road. Kids grow up, cost more, schooling costs money. Kids at a small age do not cost a fraction as much as they cost when they go to school / college etc. Your view is a very short time view. So I disagree entirely. It's certainly your right to have a family, no one is denying you that; however it's not your right to burden the taxpayer with the cost of more kids than you have need for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Mr. Harte. Just to let you know, I'm reading this and feel sorry for the things that people have said about you and your family in this thread. I think it's terrible that a newspaper have been allowed to expose your personal details to the nation like this and my heart goes out to your children,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement