Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Welfare scrounge' family fumes over benefits story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Why do they need 6 children?! What is wrong with 1 or 2? Children are money pits.

I blame lack of contraception/intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Cjoe

Delighted this back fired on them, playing the poor mouth and going to the papers about it.
    They dont need a 8 bed house.
    A 20 minute drive to National School is absolutley nothing.
    Im sure he didnt have to leave his job. He more than likley did his maths and saw they could be well covered on social welfare if he left.
    No surprise they are from an area like moyross either.
    They are your typical ignorant un-educated social welfare draining family that litter areas around the country.
    Although the goverment are to blame here too. From allowing the system to be exploited and from not tackling the more impoverieshed areas in cities across the country. Theses areas like moyross are full of ignorant and especially uneducated people.
    Goverment sowed their own seeds in not tackling these areas years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Social Welfare should have sent in an inspector immediately after the builders left to check if the unfinished house was suitable for the kids upbringing, if not they should have taken them into care until something was done.

...and cost the state more money?! I don't understand what you think the state should do about this guys roof? I've a leak in my sitting room for the past year and can't afford to get it fixed. Caught my 12 year old putting a bucket under it a few weeks ago in the middle of the night; he woke up, heard the rain and very sensibly stuck a bucket under it :rolleyes::D

He should've shifted the kids into one room until the job was fixed which obviously he did himself given he's a contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

Worst i ever came across was a couple we knew in galway.

He was working night shifts in a factory job, doing every bit of overtime going. Came out with 700 a week. He was also dealing drugs on top of that... annother nice chunk each week

She was claiming single mothers, dole, rent allowance, the works and claiming he wasn't living with her so she's keep all her benefits. She also worked cash in hand on the sly. She had no qualms about getting community welfare to buy her cots, prams etc though.

He was into car modding and generally had 3 cars outside the door and pumped several grand a month into that.

They were saving for a house, last we heard they'd bought a nice place in the country with all their scammed money.

Meanwhile we spent one xmas with 100 euros a week to live on with a young baby (our rent was 850 a month, work out those maths :() as i'd had the audacity to take PT work and social cut all our money for 8 weeks to reassess us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Girl in my town was in the local paper complaining about the council not giving her a house....she drove the kids to school in a brand new honda civic.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

my friend lost her job last year after working 16 years getting the dole since then last month they just cut her off with out telling her. the mad thing is both me&her now a lad who has been on the dole the last 5 years and he hasnt been cut off.

it makes my blood boil when you have sincere cases for the dole people who have worked all there life and are treated like sh*t yet you have career dole heads who have no intention of working and get every thing without being questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Funny thing is is that Killaloe is a lovely spot and I'd move there in the morning if I could. They must be halfwits to give up on living there because of a relatively short commute, or indeed, not to move their kids into the National school in Killaloe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

They should all be shot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

jape wrote: »
    They should all be shot

Been quietly reading this thread. While agreeing with a lot that has been said, that the one statement I disagree with for sure.
    Can understand reason for anger but calling for them to be shot is far, far too much.
    Advocating shooting a family is just bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Having read the above posts i can't help but feel two sided. On the one hand the Hartes evil as they are, are living quite well despite not working or paying taxes. I can't help but think that unemployed as a new student i might be better off this way..

That said i don't want to be jobless for the rest of my life :pac: Also people like that should be removed from society- they contribute nothing and take away money from those that really need it. They are scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Biggins wrote: »
    Been quietly reading this thread. While agreeing with a lot that has been said, that the one statement I disagree with for sure.
    Can understand reason for anger but calling for them to be shot is far, far too much.
    Advocating shooting a family is just bad.

Killing families isn't great, or is it?;)

-Grabs coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

theres a thread here btw about them

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055643951

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Great news this, another worthy reciever.
    This is what motivates me to get out of bed each morning to go to work. Knowing my taxes are going to such productive use.
    End of sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

36 k per year is that taxed or tax free?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

PaulieD wrote: »
    If you cant feed them, dont breed them. There are certain "demographics" in Ireland, some newly arrived, that seem to breed children to avail of welfare.

And there are many "demographics" that have been here all along that have been milking the system.

I'd call you a xenephobe, but I'm not risking the ban. So i'l just glare at you and quietly judge you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Traumadoc wrote: »
    36 k per year is that taxed or tax free?

tax free of course to get that much you need a ~50K job before taxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Sickening story. That father is a disgrace and needs to be forced to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Elessar wrote: »
    Why do they need 6 children?

For the benefits, silly.
    Oh and to use up the spare bedrooms...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

no welfare for anyone!

erm,wouldn't go that far!!

i'm currently semi-employed,working as many hrs as work will give me, and grateful for every last one. but the welfare that is supplementing my wage is being saved, as after a very expensive final yr in college i'm brokees. I'm grateful for my dole as i'm using it to get on my feet financially. I hope in few months i won't need it anymore as i'm trying to find a better job:)

but these people are the laziest excuses for human beings; how the hell is 20mins too far to commute??i went to college every day for 3 years, that was 2 hrs away!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

And there are many "demographics" that have been here all along that have been milking the system.

I'd call you a xenephobe, but I'm not risking the ban. So i'l just glare at you and quietly judge you.

A leech is a leech. I have no time for people milking the system. Period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 robseven

I think people on welfare a long time should work on public projects even 20 hours a week if not they lose 50% of benefits or the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a family here locally. Woman has 4 kids. claiming all single mother benefits. She is also provided with a huge 4 bed new house. No work obviously for her. Now she happens to be the partner of the guy who owns the house and he rents it to welfare. He lives there with her on the quiet. He has a good job and a new car.
    Why would they ever get married.... It would cost them about 3,000 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

mickdw wrote: »
    There is a family here locally. Woman has 4 kids. claiming all single mother benefits. She is also provided with a huge 4 bed new house. No work obviously for her. Now she happens to be the partner of the guy who owns the house and he rents it to welfare. He lives there with her on the quiet. He has a good job and a new car.
    Why would they ever get married.... It would cost them about 3,000 a month
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
    Reporting Possible Fraud in Relation to the Department's Schemes

The Central Control Section of the Department of Social and Family Affairs accepts reports of possible fraud offered by members of the public in relation to the Department’s schemes.
    Reports are accepted by email, phone or in writing. All reports are dealt with in confidence. A member of the public may give details anonymously.
    Contact Details:
    By email: central.control@welfare.ie
    By phone: (01) 704 3000, ask for Central Control Section or
    (071) 9672648,
    By Post: Central Control Division, Shannon Lodge, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co Leitrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cloud9

Why waste energy attacking individuals and families??

They might be benefiting economically from a badly thought out system, but they are not responsible for it.

Situations like this exist because people find themselves to be in situations where they would suffer financially if they were to enter into the workplace.

Some social welfare payments dis-incentivise working, it's a policy issue.

Why would anyone refuse social welfare benefits, they are fully entitled too, according to the conditions laid out by policy makers???

These people have done absolutely nothing wrong. If anything they have been wronged by a system. Recipients of social welfare, whilst might be recieving support for 'free', lose out in the long term. Depression, helplessness are endemic amongst long-term social welfare recipients.

As a new frequenter of boards, I'm so shocked (maybe naive too!) at how bitter public opinion is in relation to social welfare.

This is a policy issue, and should not be turned into a witch-hunt for ordinary people, who are not the source of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

..and these are the real people driving the country into the ground.. for every "fat" banker and politician in the country that cream the system there are 100 of these people.

Many people are "entitled" to benefit, ut far too many make a living from it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Cloud9 wrote: »

They might be benefiting economically from a badly thought out system, but they are not responsible for it.

Situations like this exist because people find themselves to be in situations where they would suffer financially if they were to enter into the workplace.

Why would anyone refuse social welfare benefits, they are fully entitled too, according to the conditions laid out by policy makers???

These people have done absolutely nothing wrong. If anything they have been wronged by a system. Recipients of social welfare, whilst might be recieving support for 'free', lose out in the long term. Depression, helplessness are endemic amongst long-term social welfare recipients.

As a new frequenter of boards, I'm so shocked (maybe naive too!) at how bitter public opinion is in relation to social welfare.

This is a policy issue, and should not be turned into a witch-hunt for ordinary people, who are not the source of the problem.

its a balance issue. Too little social welfare and the government are seen to be neglecting the vunerable, too much and people will not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ive heard of people who pretend to be depressed to get benefits. They pretend to be depressed as it's harder to prove that they are faking it.

It's sickening really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

thier is an entire industry in ireland who make a living out of telling us how much help theese people need , champagne socilists like fergus ( i dont believe any child should be made to wear hand me downs ) finlay spring to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cloud9

It definitely is a balance issue, in relation to policy making.

I also think it's incredibly wasteful of time and energy, to blacklist those in society who do avail of social welfare. We mightn't think they are 'worthy' of these benefits, but it's irrelevant really.

It's simply a rooted issue in Ireland, based on terrible policy making which has led to great societal costs...

One of these being, a growing sense of resentment against individuals on social welfare. Those who do avail of social welfare find themselves in a position, often find themselves 'stuck'. Can't wean themselves off the system, as it's grossly inadequate in encouraging individuals back into the workplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Cloud9 wrote: »

The whole point of the article is: they had a house. They didn't like Moyross. They moved and got another house.
    The new house they got in Ardnacrusha(with the help of a deposit from the local parish) was not approved by Clare county council as it did not meet social housing criteria. They tried to play the poor mouth card by going to the media and the media turned on them.

Ardnacrusha, Parteen and Kilaloe are all lovely parts of Clare. I would love to be able to afford to live in them/get a job in Limerick so I could live in any of these areas. Why should these blow ins from Moyross get to choose their housing(a mansion by most standards)? Give housing to people who deserve and appreciate it.

The dad going on about having worked ten years! I have been working since I was 16, worked all the way through college, got my degree, work damn hard now and my wages are just exceeding their social welfare. I pay taxes, I pay my own rent, I contribute to society. When I came back from travelling I managed to draw a princely sum of €300 in job seekers, after I had jumped through hoops of fire, before I started a job. The money cleared around the time I got my first pay - a bit pointless at that stage! If I had been a career social welfare leech, they wouldn't have given me half the hassle and I would have gotten the dole way sooner.
    If I'd had a few children by different daddies I'd have even gotten a house!

The system is wrong! But so are the people who milk it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement