Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

To the OP: Don't give up on whisky just because of a bad first experience - seriously, downing some blended s***e like Bells is guaranteed to repulse.

Get your hands on a decent single malt Scotch like Talisker, or a good Irish whiskey like Midleton, and give it another go. Take small sips and roll it around your mouth for a while before swallowing. Mix the whiskey with a small amount of water if you find it to be a little overpowering at first; some Scotches can be very smoky and strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Hay Tom. Jameson(Jemmy) and Red is a super combo but it is essential that it is mixed correctly and in the right quantities. The key is to put the Jameson into the single Irish uncle and the Taylor Keith into the tolerant English nephew before mixing. If you get the quantities right it should provide a Goldmine of nuggets which will preclude your parents from taking the high moral ground in certain arguments ("Jaysus Tom did I ever tell you about the time meself and your father were on the buildins, it was just after he started going out with your mother......).;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Jameson and oj my favourite drink!

Drink of the gods, I just had chocolate whiskey icecream, mmmmmmmm.

Anyway, OP, you are like 15 drinking straight whiskey, lay off it, you have to be a man to appreciate it. Stick with fields and devils bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Anyway, OP, you are like 15 drinking straight whiskey, lay off it, you have to be a man to appreciate it. Stick with fields and devils bit.

I have to be a man to appreciate it? :(
    I dunno what fields and devils bit means.

But I had a lovely few Budweisers last night at another mates house so I haven't been put off drink completely :P

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

brummytom wrote: »
    But I had a lovely few Budweisers last night

Oh lord, looks like we'll have to educate you about beer as well! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Whiskey (or whisky) is perhaps the finest drink that has ever been invented.
    Scotch and Irish. Can't be touched.
    Never had a Jemmy and OJ though. I drink it straight or with a wee slurp of water. None of yer ice. Puts hairs on yer michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I'm a non-drinker and the most miserable twat in the world

I don't know what "drink it straight" means? I just drank it out the bottle :confused:
    You have deep rooted psychological issues dude!!:pac:

Well yeah... That's a given if he's posting in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Have to agree with the OP, whiskey is rank!!!

But the problem is; whiskey is part of the 'Irish identity' plus you mix that with the whole macho angle of its a 'mans drink' and you have the irish equivalent of the 'snooty French wine connoisseur' character...basically an a55hole who only drinks it in company for effect.

It tastes like 5hite and unless your 60+ years old, you're definetly one of those saddo's who thinks drinking whiskey makes them and "Irishman"

(I absolutely love Guinness though, as cliche as that is, Id drink it through a wet sock!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

But I had a lovely few Budweisers last night

So very young... and so much to learn. I used to hate whiskey when I was a wee nipper, and it was all budweiser and bulmers and vodka with coke back then. Then I matured, and discovered the wonders of fine drinking.

Whiskey (proper whiskey that is, not cheap muck) is a fantastic drink, but at your age, it'll be a while before you're old enough to appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Hey Dr.Bollocko! Oh yeah!

PK2008 wrote: »
    It tastes like 5hite and unless your 60+ years old, you're definetly one of those saddo's who thinks drinking whiskey makes them and "Irishman"
    Whiskey (y) has a lovely taste. Whether it's scotch or Irish with a great range of mixers. Why do you have to be 60+ to drink it and not be a saddo?

Jaysus. I knew the kids were getting crazier and crazier these days with their cocaine and vibrators and fatfrogs but I never thought it was this bad.
    Hey Dr.Bollocko! Oh yeah!

Sends chivas down me spine just looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I have to be a man to appreciate it? :(
    I dunno what fields and devils bit means.

A field is a big grassy stretch of land,and devils bit is a cider.:pac:

I've had it in my mind to get hold of a bottle of this at some stage. Maybe Christmas, who knows?

Had it at a bar in Osaka before, and my god... One of the very finest things I've drank in my life, it made my night.

A field is a big grassy stretch of land,and devils bit is a cider.:pac:

Ahh we don't have these 'field' things here.. God knows we don't want farmers.
    Oh right.. never heard Cider called that before

I've had it in my mind to get hold of a bottle of this at some stage. Maybe Christmas, who knows?

Had it at a bar in Osaka before, and my god... One of the very finest things I've drank in my life, it made my night.

Sounds relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

And here's me drinking it because i like it. Got my motives all wrong!

I know.. but how could you tell that from that post :confused:

Ahh we don't have these 'field' things here.. God knows we don't want farmers.
    Oh right.. never heard Cider called that before

Devil's Bit is a brand. It's rank stuff that kids drink before they learn of the greatness that is Aspall.
    Sounds relaxing.

It was. ;)

Even the regular suntory is lovely. Like so. Really sorry I didn't bring a bottle back with me.

Whiskey (y) has a lovely taste. Whether it's scotch or Irish with a great range of mixers. Why do you have to be 60+ to drink it and not be a saddo?

Jaysus. I knew the kids were getting crazier and crazier these days with their cocaine and vibrators and fatfrogs but I never thought it was this bad.

Its defintely an aul fella's drink but you always get a few to55ers (usually in their mid thirties) at the bar trying to pretend they're refined: "Oh this is a vintage, single malt...yadda yadda yadda....."- its cringeworthy especially when they break out the cigars and try to one-up each other about "how it should be drunk" (complete wa*kers)

It tastes like 5hite and the young lads that drink it are superior nerd types other than that 60+'s, cos thats the 5hite they drank back in the old days while wearing flat caps and cursing the british

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

ah theirs ur problem, scotch.
    now some people like it personally i could never take to the smokey taste of it, try an irish whiskey like Jameson, much smoother and cleaner on the taste buds. if its still too strong try mixing it with a bit of 7up

Its defintely an aul fella's drink but you always get a few to55ers (usually in their mid thirties) at the bar trying to pretend they're refined: "Oh this is a vintage, single malt...yadda yadda yadda....."- its cringeworthy especially when they break out the cigars and try to one-up each other about "how it should be drunk" (complete wa*kers)

It tastes like 5hite and the young lads that drink it are superior nerd types other than that 60+'s, cos thats the 5hite they drank back in the old days while wearing flat caps and cursing the british

/clicks pen.
    /imbibes.
    Now I think that your issues with whiskey reach back to your childhood.
    Perhaps it's fear of ostracism or some sort of class war you are fighting utilising the bait of our fair Uisce Beatha.
    But I would tell you this: Just because somebody isn't drinking warm beer from a dirty bucket or poitin from behind a cow shed does not mean that they are superior nerd types.
    Hell I too shared your fears and also traded in generalisations based on beverage choice. To be fair my ire was directed at consumers of alcopops however I learned that judging a book by its cover is never a good plan when the book ends up showing your friend her boobs behind a GAA disco and not you.
    In summation: Dumb generalisations are dumb. Dumb generalisations based on beverage choice are dumber again.

our fair Uisce Beatha.

Hahahaha, you know a real whiskey wa*ker when you hear the words "uisce beatha"

Go on and riverdance your way over to the snug with the rest of the flat caps, Gramps.

Hahahaha, you know a real whiskey wa*ker when you hear the words "uisce beatha"

Go on and riverdance your way over to the snug with the rest of the flat caps, Gramps.

Well that was easy.
    Banned.
    More whiskey!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Whisky lovers - try Lagavulin from Islay region, best whisky i ever tasted, discovered it in Scotland recently

Well that was easy.
    Banned.
    More whiskey!

Slainche!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Sláinte!

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I BEG TO DIFFER.
    I know lots of my friends that drink whiskey albeit they rob JD from their house's and pour it into 7 Up bottles.

Hardly...''Refined'' is it?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sexy

When you get older try http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/asp/product.asp?objectid=1083&mode=0&recordid=1545&t=411125408

Remember to sip it, it ain't no gulpers tipple.

Top tip, keep an eye on the odd supermarket that might stock it. You can find the odd 2004 or older box still unsold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Whiskey warms your insides, ignites your pallet and your mind, gets you drunk and is cool, like those who drink it

Advertisement