Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey

Options
  • 01-08-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

What is the point of this drink? It's ****ing disgusting...

I'm not a drinker; at all. Spent last night at a mates, he came in with a little bottle of Bell's Scotch Whiskey (40% Alc :eek:); said "try that". Took a sip.. yeah, it was nice.
    Tried to have a bit more, this time downing a load of it. I seriously felt like screaming; it was bloody horrible!

I've never understood the alcohol thing... drinking foultasting drinks just to become completey inebriated and loose all sense of your actions?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

So....you're not a drinker but you 'downed' a load of cheap scotch, it didn't agree with you and now you wonder why people drink whiskey?

I'd direct you to the Beer, Wine and Spirits forum but it probably isn't worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

brummytom wrote: »

I'm not a drinker; at all. Spent last night at a mates, he came in with a little bottle of Bell's Scotch Whiskey (40% Alc :eek:); said "try that". Took a sip.. yeah, it was nice.
    Tried to have a bit more, this time downing a load of it. I seriously felt like screaming; it was bloody horrible!

I've never understood the alcohol thing... drinking foultasting drinks just to become completey inebriated and loose all sense of your actions?

800 years of persecution and you'd be fond of a tipple too:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You are so very wrong that it calls your parentage and sexual orientation into question. Although it's your own damn fault for drinking Bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

The non-drinkers I know are probably the happiest people I know. How anybody stands in a pub drinking coke and talking to locked people is beyond me though. I'd prefer stay at home.

Whiskey is a dangerous drink. Did you drink it straight, Tom? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

The non-drinkers I know are probably the happiest people I know. How anybody stands in a pub drinking coke and talking to locked people is beyond me though. I'd prefer stay at home.

Good username for this thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey, and when I drink water, I drink water' - Barry Fitzgerald to Maureen O'Hara when asked "Would you like water with that, Michilín?" in The Quiet Man (1952). Classic.

Try Bushmills 1608, Tommy. It's fierce nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm a non-drinker and the most miserable twat in the world

I don't know what "drink it straight" means? I just drank it out the bottle :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihadu

carte blanche. not guilty your honour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Also, Scotch is whisky and Irish is whiskey...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I love a few whiskeys eery now and then, it's savage and it gives you that warm feeling inside that you don't get with beer or cider, and it's a hell of a lot nicer than vodka, straight is the only way to have it.:D

• Advertisement

I'm a non-drinker and the most miserable twat in the world

I don't know what "drink it straight" means? I just drank it out the bottle :confused:

Am I right in saying that you are 16 or 17? Why did you drink it, if you're a non-drinker? Did drinking Bells put you off drink for life?

Saibh wrote: »
    Good username for this thread :D

If only I wasn't such a sissy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

If you're a non-drinker who wants to start drinking, well whiskey isn't the one to start with!
    Try smirnoff ice/bacardi breezer/other alcopop like every other teenager...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

Sarky wrote: »
    You are so very wrong that it calls your parentage and sexual orientation into question. Although it's your own damn fault for drinking Bells.

hahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

high horse wrote: »
    If you're a non-drinker who wants to start drinking, well whiskey isn't the one to start with!
    Try smirnoff ice/bacardi breezer/other alcopop like every other teenager...

That's what I did, now I drink pretty much everything except alcopops.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Also, Scotch is whisky and Irish is whiskey...;)

I thought Scotch and Irish were whisky, and Americans like Southern Comfort and Jack Daniels were whiskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

If it doesn't suit you(reading your post it doesn't seem to), don't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What is the point of this drink?

Whiskey was invented so that the Irish wouldn't rule the world - THATS THE POINT OF IT.

Sarky wrote: »

Well my parents are ****, and I'm English - so by definition, I have to be slightly gay

I thought Scotch and Irish were whisky, and Americans like Southern Comfort and Jack Daniels were whiskey?
    Nope.

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying that you are 16 or 17? Why did you drink it, if you're a non-drinker? Did drinking Bells put you off drink for life?

15 actually :P
    I drank it because, I dunno actually, I suppose I was just curious.. and I'm not sure - though it's definitely put me off Whisk(e)y for life :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

You took a sip and it was nice, that's how you should drink it then. Necking the bottle isn't a nice way of drinking it whatsoever, it's just the fast way to inebriation.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

i do believe that this clip will answe all of your questions

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/KingStinkY/?action=view&current=irishheritage.flv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sexy

Ginger Ale was invented for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Jack Daniels is a bourbon and Southern Comfort is a Liquer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Sexy wrote: »
    Ginger Ale was invented for a reason.

so odd balls have something to hold in there other hand:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

s'far's i know, ireland and america have whiskey and scotland and canadia have whisky. never quite been bothered enough by it to figure out why though...

and OP, first off, ok, you're not a drinker... so why have it in the first place?
    second off, you took a sip... and enjoyed it... fair play, i've been drinking whiskeys and bourbons for many a year now, and i still can't sip it straight (ie, without being mixed with something else, like coke) without pulling a face (while still sober).
    third... you decided to neck it. i can understand how you now hate it. doesnt shock me really, a non-drinker necks 40% alcohol... if losing control of your actions was all that happened, consider yourself lucky... if you downed any amount of it really, i'd imagine you spent most of the rest of the night hugging the bowl.

and the point of alcohol is to chill out, relax, get tipsy drunk (or blind numb drunk, depending on the day you've had) and enjoy yourself. i find it works best if you drink something you enjoy the taste of... whiskey and coke has always done it for me... start off on about a 1/8:7/8 measures of spirits to soft drink and you can't go too far wrong (as a non-drinker attempting to drink).

you're young yet though... plenty of time to figure it out.

Jack Daniels is a bourbon and Southern Comfort is a Liquer
    Actually...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Hi Tom.

I've read your post and I respectfully disagree.

Yours in type, Mr. Schism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

I was over the gfs house a few weeks ago after coming back from a night staying at a friends house up the country. She had the remains of a bottle of Southern Comfort in a fanta bottle or something. We're all sitting in the living room talking when along comes her 14 yo brother to get a sneaky swig of the "fanta":pac: And I'm the only one to notice, so I sit there with a stupid grin on my face trying not to burst out laughing as he first retches, then bolts for the back door then comes back a minute or so later with a guilty look on his face surreptitiously looking around to see if anyone had noticed!

I'm not much of a whiskey drinker myself but I'd say it's a nice way to finish off the day or a nice way to get stupid drunk...

Advertisement