Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

God bless ya thanks a million! New runners broke in last night 5 easy. Old ones today on tender feet but a hilly 17 miles at 7:50s felt like a stroll. It’s all done now. Just going to keep ticking over now 8 mile tempo Tuesday and 4 x 1 miles Thursday are the last hard ones.
    If I can produce what I’m capable of I’m going to smash the sub3. There’ll be nerves soon enough but I’d near take it on right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Week— Prescribed-Completed
    _______(Miles)____(Miles)

Total..........26.............46.5

Week 1 of 18 complete, 6 days running. It’s a half week really so I just continued what I’ve been doing. All easy mileage. I’ll be happy to see the back of Ed Sheran, get my routes back. Week 2 is still handy enough, speed sessions start, 12 x 400m @ 6.00 min pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Lads,what was yer half marathon times when ye broke sub 3.I'm doing my first half,on July 7th,looking for a time frame,to train for.Online calculator says 1:24,1:25,but want proper experiences,before committing to a time,for my training runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Lads,what was yer half marathon times when ye broke sub 3.I'm doing my first half,on July 7th,looking for a time frame,to train for.Online calculator says 1:24,1:25,but want proper experiences,before committing to a time,for my training runs.

Where in Limerick are you and what is the goal? I haven't gone sub3 but pretty close (3:00:20) and half was 1:25:58 at the time. Thing is its different for everyone. I think a range could be anywhere from 1:21-1:28. So the average is probably 1:24/1:25. Some may be well under 1:25 but scrape a 2:59 and others may be 1:26+ and run 2:55. More speed, bigger lung capacity, savvy race experience, aerobic base, general health, fuelling, conditions, what you do to build on you half marathon etc... So many variables but I'll get out of the way and listen to the real sub3 responses!

I did sub3 after doing 1:25 and 1:26. This year I’ve done 1:24 so well see soon. Agree with above. Anything under 1:28ish would give me confidence to give it a shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I did 1:22:33 In a time trial 4 weeks out.......

healy1835 wrote: »

I just read that in your log. Nuts! But with that 20x400 behind you and a pacer for the day why not! Honestly reading through your log I think you may have opened Pandoras box at Limerick!

Where in Limerick are you and what is the goal? I haven't gone sub3 but pretty close (3:00:20) and half was 1:25:58 at the time. Thing is its different for everyone. I think a range could be anywhere from 1:21-1:28. So the average is probably 1:24/1:25. Some may be well under 1:25 but scrape a 2:59 and others may be 1:26+ and run 2:55. More speed, bigger lung capacity, savvy race experience, aerobic base, general health, fuelling, conditions, what you do to build on you half marathon etc... So many variables but I'll get out of the way and listen to the real sub3 responses!
    Hi shotgun,I'm in ballyneety,I've gone sub 3,in 6 out of my last 7 marathons,the thing is, I've never done a half.I promised my sister I would do cahir half,with her.I was just going to jog it,but feck it,I've now decided I will train properly,and give it a good lash.I am aiming for 2:55 in Dublin in October,so it's time I got off my lazy ass,and did some shorter race's, to see where I am at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

kerrylad1 wrote:
    Hi shotgun,I'm in ballyneety,I've gone sub 3,in 6 out of my last 7 marathons,the thing is, I've never done a half.I promised my sister I would do cahir half,with her.I was just going to jog it,but feck it,I've now decided I will train properly,and give it a good lash.I am aiming for 2:55 in Dublin in October,so it's time I got off my lazy ass,and did some shorter race's, to see where I am at.

Do you have a log on here kerrylad?

Wanna run together in Dublin?! Hail Mary time

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    Jesus that's impressive.That is my problem,I don't enter races untill the marathon itself,just do timetrial workouts.I think if you can do that in a timetrial,you could probably take a minute off of it in a race.I honestly think I would not have a hope of 1:22.great stuff man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Jesus that's impressive.That is my problem,I don't enter races untill the marathon itself,just do timetrial workouts.I think if you can do that in a timetrial,you could probably take a minute off of it in a race.I honestly think I would not have a hope of 1:22.great stuff man.

I reckon your closer to 1.22 than you think, 6 out of last 7 marathons sub 3, train a bit for it Dude and you’ll surprise yourself.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Wanna run together in Dublin?! Hail Mary time
    Definitely man.just make sure you get the 2:59:59 in 2 week's time,ha.

Awesome running lads. I reckon there’s a 1:23 in me but any further would take some doing!

Do you have a log on here kerrylad?
    No swash,my log would bore ye to death,mile after mile on the treadmill with a baby monitor for company.I'm lucky if I get out on the road,2 times aweek,wife works crazy shifts,so that's as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

kerrylad1 wrote:
    No swash,my log would bore ye to death,mile after mile on the treadmill with a baby monitor for company.I'm lucky if I get out on the road,2 times aweek,wife works crazy shifts,so that's as good as it gets.

Sub 3 off a treadmill is the most impressive thing I've heard this week

OOnegative wrote: »
    I reckon your closer to 1.22 than you think, 6 out of last 7 marathons sub 3, train a bit for it Dude and you’ll surprise yourself.
    Thanks man.I think I will train so,for a 1:23,and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I would think 1.24 or 25 is too easy, but of course it all depends on whether you're a strong diesel type marathoner or a handy, fastish Half lad moving up. I had a couple of 1.22's the year I went for sub 3 for the first time in Frankfurt (3.13.xx) and I was about 1.22 again I'd say when I eventually broke 3 last year. This year I've managed to get the Half to 1.21.05 so the predictors have me doing a 2.52 or so and much as I'd love that to happen.........
    Don't know if it's the head or the legs but I just have no fear of the Half distance, whereas the full has kicked me in the a$$ too many times now for me to be confident about it.
    Give the training a bash (PM if you like for a few of my favourite Half workouts) and I'd say you should go under 1.24 without too much hassle.

That’s serious times lad! Was that your first time breaking the 3? More will follow now as you undoubtedly have the ability. I wouldn’t get near a 1:21. Would you give an account of some of those sessions?

Itziger wrote: »
    I would think 1.24 or 25 is too easy, but of course it all depends on whether you're a strong diesel type marathoner or a handy, fastish Half lad moving up. I had a couple of 1.22's the year I went for sub 3 for the first time in Frankfurt (3.13.xx) and I was about 1.22 again I'd say when I eventually broke 3 last year. This year I've managed to get the Half to 1.21.05 so the predictors have me doing a 2.52 or so and much as I'd love that to happen.........
    Don't know if it's the head or the legs but I just have no fear of the Half distance, whereas the full has kicked me in the a$$ too many times now for me to be confident about it.
    Give the training a bash (PM if you like for a few of my favourite Half workouts) and I'd say you should go under 1.24 without too much hassle.
    Thanks a million itziger.I will probably melt ur head now,with stupid questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Don't know if it's the head or the legs but I just have no fear of the Half distance, whereas the full has kicked me in the a$ too many times now for me to be confident about it.
    Thanks a million itziger.I will probably melt ur head now,with stupid questions.
    Hey Quinn and Kerry, I don't want to bung up this thread with Half stuff but here goes.... For speed I'd do some 10k rep stuff, up to 6x1mile. The main Half specifics sessions would be building up to 3x15 or 17 mins at H pace with a couple of mins recovery between and one I really like, 15 mins @Half pace + 3 or 4x1k@ 10k pace + 15 mins @H again. I start that with 12mins and build up to the 15. The reps in the middle, 2 or 3 the first day and 4 at the end....... So nothing too mad. A decent long run of 20+ kms and a few easy days. That's about it I think. Don't really understand fellas saying they couldn't do 1.22 / 1.21 but we're all different. Beat of luck and pick a bloody flat course!!

Hey Quinn and Kerry, I don't want to bung up this thread with Half stuff but here goes.... For speed I'd do some 10k rep stuff, up to 6x1mile. The main Half specifics sessions would be building up to 3x15 or 17 mins at H pace with a couple of mins recovery between and one I really like, 15 mins @Half pace + 3 or 4x1k@ 10k pace + 15 mins @H again. I start that with 12mins and build up to the 15. The reps in the middle, 2 or 3 the first day and 4 at the end....... So nothing too mad. A decent long run of 20+ kms and a few easy days. That's about it I think. Don't really understand fellas saying they couldn't do 1.22 / 1.21 but we're all different. Beat of luck and pick a bloody flat course!!
    Thanks for this.Will have a crack at those workouts over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

I was low 1.23 the first time I ran sub 3 (2.58). That was a few years back now and both efforts nearly killed me. Ran a very comfortable 1.24 mid which translated to a controlled 2.58 last year. Go figure!

I've looked at numerous online marathon programmes and also have had a couple made for me to follow. Every one seems to follow the pattern that Sat/Sun are the long runs, mon, wed & fri are easy/recovery and tues, thurs are the speed workouts, taking one or two days off per week as well. All seems grand but I want to ask about the Tues/Thurs end of things? They all have prescribed that you do interval type training on the Tuesday and tempo or MP on the Thursday. I much prefer to do it the other way around but I'm curious as to why the programmes usually tend to go with this order. I'm probably over thinking it all but would welcome any thoughts on it.

I've looked at numerous online marathon programmes and also have had a couple made for me to follow. Every one seems to follow the pattern that Sat/Sun are the long runs, mon, wed & fri are easy/recovery and tues, thurs are the speed workouts, taking one or two days off per week as well. All seems grand but I want to ask about the Tues/Thurs end of things? They all have prescribed that you do interval type training on the Tuesday and tempo or MP on the Thursday. I much prefer to do it the other way around but I'm curious as to why the programmes usually tend to go with this order. I'm probably over thinking it all but would welcome any thoughts on it.

Intervals closer to 5-10k pace LT- VO2 range and tempo closer to MP-LT range? Keeping the harder of the 2 further from the long run was usually my own logic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Intervals closer to 5-10k pace LT- VO2 range and tempo closer to MP-LT range? Keeping the harder of the 2 further from the long run was usually my own logic

Second this, LT/VO2 stuff takes longer to recover from than Tempo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Personally i program sessions with extra day (Wednesday/Saturday) the more enduranced based stuff is done later for a different reason though as makes you run the long run on more tired legs

So Tuesday/Friday if running long on Saturday? Very tough. I find that doing the tempo run first doesn’t impact on the intervals but if I do it the other way about I don’t feel I get the quality in the tempo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Without looking back at exactly what sessions went where, I was Wed/Sat.....LR Sunday with effects of Sat session still in the legs.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

So Tuesday/Friday if running long on Saturday? Very tough. I find that doing the tempo run first doesn’t impact on the intervals but if I do it the other way about I don’t feel I get the quality in the tempo

Either that or if i have some quality in long run push it to sunday.

For me this is why have the extra day between sessions. Need to revise effort or volume if you are not recovering between sessions. Each one should be tough but building from previous one. If you are struggling to recover you are not gettong bemefits from the sessions

Advertisement