Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Use to love a chinese at lunch.
    But then, the mandarin court tried it but wasnt worth their while apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

China City will be doing a "Mini Buffet" for €15.50 per person too!

** loosens belt buckle in anticipation **

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Basq wrote: »

Don't forget to bring a pack of bin liners with you. You'll be eating for months on that €15.

Don't forget to bring a pack of bin liners with you. You'll be eating for months on that €15.

Looking forward to it. Hope its good.
    How many chineses have we say in town and within a 10 mile radius?
    Must be hitting 20.

Bit of a ****ty name though!
    Its like something you'd hear the fsai closing down on parnell street!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Wonder what they mean by a ''Mini'' buffet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Slighty off topic but if you are looking for a Chinese buffet and happen to be in Enniskillen I highly recommend the Mandarin restaurant on the Dublin Road. 5.99 lunch buffet (except Sunday). Really big range of food. Also desserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leitrim lass

I see there is some sort of craft and art gallery/shop upstairs in Lyons department store. I saw it on nationwide lastnight. The artists involved run the shop themselves. Has anybody been in? Any good? I'm wondering if it worth a trip into Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I see there is some sort of craft and art gallery/shop upstairs in Lyons department store. I saw it on nationwide lastnight. The artists involved run the shop themselves. Has anybody been in? Any good? I'm wondering if it worth a trip into Sligo.

So thats where it was. Watched most of the link with no mention where they were, unless it was anoounced at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Anyone know what's happening with the petrol station and shop in Castlebaldwin? Just been there in an attempt to get petrol and it's closed, even though there's a sign up saying that it was re-opening on 1 March under new management. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

genie wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening with the petrol station and shop in Castlebaldwin? Just been there in an attempt to get petrol and it's closed, even though there's a sign up saying that it was re-opening on 1 March under new management. :confused:

Reopening Thursday 22nd.. under new management according to signs there today,

Any sign on this place opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

got a leaflet in the door so i presume its open now or in the next week

Deadly thanks.
    I shall report shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

ge_ch wrote: »
    Interesting thing with that deli/bakery. Remember when the market was there, the ones from cafe mezzanine were complaining that it would take away from their business. That middle floor of the shopping centre is a disaster. Never seen a shopping centre where the escalator skipped a floor.

Was counting up the amount of cafes in the Quayside last week at work, there's 8 at the moment!!!

Deadly thanks.
    I shall report shortly.

Top notch grub. Went this evening for the buffet.
    Its not a buffet self service as you would think.
    Probably a good thing as i wouldnt be a fan of food sitting out being kept lukewarm.

Basically, your place mat is the menu and she comes and takes your order for your soups and starters. Order as much as you like from the selection (bearing in mind the bbq spare ribs means one rib, spring rolls = one spring roll etc, but like I said you can order as much as you like and in fairness are encouraged to do so).

So i had the chicken and sweetcorn soup, sesame prawn toast and salt and chilli ribs (you get a few of the salt and chilli ribs!!!), all were lovely. Others had the salt and chilli prawns/chicken, bbq ribs, chicken satay skewers, won tons and duck with pancakes. No complaints from anyone. Appetisers were freshly prepared and top class. I should also mention you get free unlimited soft drinks (from a can, not the usual flat shyte).
    She arrived mid way through the starters to see if we wanted more, so at this stage you could get more ribs etc if you wanted.

Anyway, happy enough to go for the mains, she cleared our plates and took our order. I went for the chicken curry and fried rice. She told me it was only a small portion and encouraged me to order more so what could i do only add in a kung po pork. Others in the group ordered shredded chicken, chicken chow mein, prawns in hot garlic sauce, chicken balls, sweet and sour chicken, chips and a few more dishes from the starter menu were also ordered. Food was a bit slow to be prepared and come out and rice and chips even longer so i basically had my curry eaten by the time the rice came. Bit of a let down. But again, the quality of the mains was top notch and as there was a group of us, we didnt really mind too much. I would normally really only speak this highly of the mandarin court but this food was really very good and perfectly fresh. Portion sizes are about 2/5ths of a normal portion so you would need a couple but its nice to sample a few dishes.

Halfway through our mains, she came to see if we wanted to order more, but suitably stuffed with clear plates all round, we declined. Its a great way of preventing food wastage as with all these smaller sized portions, there was none left over. House white wine was lovely. Kids under 6 eat free. €14.50 per adult unbelievable value. The desserts were the usual ice cream crap you get in a chinese.

You can of course order from the a la carte, which is also very very good value, but i dont see why you would really if you were sitting in, maybe to be more organised, the mains arriving was unfortunately a bit sporadic. You dont really mind this for all the shared starters but it would be better if all the mains and rices etc arrived at once particularly considering there was a bit of a wait in the first place.

Left feeling not too stuffed but nicely full as the small portions were spread out over the duration of the meal. Will be back, definitely. Tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Brilliant review :)

On the to-do list this weekend then so :D

Aw yes. Nothing beats a buffet

I heard a few people stating that there is a new Renault dealership opening in Sligo soon,does anybody else have more information?

I thought they had one on the old N4 road near Molly Fultons.

• Advertisement

That's now Clancy's that used to be down at the docks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I heard a few people stating that there is a new Renault dealership opening in Sligo soon,does anybody else have more information?
    irish-stew wrote: »
    I thought they had one on the old N4 road near Molly Fultons.
    UrbanSea wrote: »
    That's now Clancy's that used to be down at the docks

Enda McCarricks were the dealership near the N4. They closed down before Christmas, and Clancy's have now opened up in the premises. Renault Ireland had an ad in the Champion in January looking for garages to take up the franchise so they are definately looking to have a dealership in Sligo again. I haven't heard that anybody has gotten it yet though, hopefully it won't take too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moylanf

Is Gays bike shop still open next to the Polish supermarket at the Quays?

moylanf wrote: »
    Is Gays bike shop still open next to the Polish supermarket at the Quays?
    I assume you mean Gary's (:D).. and yes, it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moylanf

I assume you mean Gary's (:D).. and yes, it is!

Thanks, I'll try again as i need to bring something back.

It looked very closed the other day.

moylanf wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll try again as i need to bring something back.

It looked very closed the other day.

The one beside the polish shop is indeed very much closed.

But his new one across the road beside dominos is open.

;)

A new deli/shop/cafe has opened in the Quayside. They seem reasonbly priced on food. 3 euro for egg and chips. 1.70 for tea and coffee.

Also the Paco store has moved from The Quayside to Johnston's Court.

Still no sign of a Renault dealer for Sligo but at least Aldi have opened today!

A new cafe opened last week on Bridge Street, it's called Chapters. Very friendly service and great prices: 3 euro for soup and bread, 4 euro for salad and bread.
    Upstairs you can buy a book and a coffee for 4 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was in Aldi a few hours ago. It was packed. Great for Sligo. It's very nice inside. €2 for a trolley.

Advertisement