Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Auxred

magnumlady wrote: »
    I would like to be given the choice of where I shop. In Carrick-on-Shannon I got to the retail park but I also shop in the town as well.
    The Sligo retail park wouldn't be so life-less if more shops were allowed to open there,

Honestly whats the point putting supermarkets in the retail park?What difference does it make?The way most of sligo town is set up it would actually be more difficult to get to the retail park than the current location.

The difference is that people can easily park their car in a stress free manner and go shop in a large well stocked supermarket just like the other people who live in normal towns. The backward supermarket situation in Sligo is an absolute joke the sooner people wake up to this the better.

That said I think the docks is the right area for sligo's first proper supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Auxred wrote: »
    The difference is that people can easily park their car in a stress free manner and go shop in a large well stocked supermarket just like the other people who live in normal towns. The backward supermarket situation in Sligo is an absolute joke the sooner people wake up to this the better.

That said I think the docks is the right area for sligo's first proper supermarket.

Plenty of parking at Dunnes not majorly difficult to get parked at Tesco either.
    I would like to point out aswell that i have absolutely Zero connection to the COC.I just dont want to see Sligo destroyed like every other town and most of the cities where during the celtic tiger.Why people are hellbent on trying to turn Sligo into some sort of Letterkenny is beyond me.I love walking around the nice busy streets of Sligo every day.We are in a good position people dont forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I don't think you can honestly say Tesco is in a good place.

How many other towns have a major supermarket in the very centre of town?

It's one of the worse Tesco's I've ever been in. It's like a warehouse,at least Dunnes is accessible,you can't honestly say that Tesco isn't crazy most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I don't think you can honestly say Tesco is in a good place.

It's one of the worse Tesco's I've ever been in. It's like a warehouse,at least Dunnes is accessible,you can't honestly say that Tesco isn't crazy most of the time

have to agree. on a busy day like saturday it can take you around 20 minutes just to drive through the carpark, and if you weren't lucky enough to get a space you have to do the whole round again. I can't remember how many times I was too frustrated and gave up and went to quayside or glasshouse instead.
    The best place for food shopping has to be Lidl, loads of parking spaces there.

UrbanSea wrote: »

A lot of them did then they moved out of town and it destroyed the center.
    What are you supposed to do if you dont drive?
    The whole northside of sligo and out the strandhill road and places like that are no were near walking distance.Actually a previous poster made a good point the docks would be a good place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Honestly whats the point putting supermarkets in the retail park?What difference does it make?The way most of sligo town is set up it would actually be more difficult to get to the retail park than the current location.

It would make life a lot easier for me.

magnumlady wrote: »
    It would make life a lot easier for me.

Your one of the select few.The only people it would benefit are people coming from Collooney/Ballisadare.It would hinder most residents of Sligo.If you dont drive you would be left high and dry.We will then have threads started by people complaining "why are there no supermarkets walking distance of sligo"

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

The plan tesco had was to have bigger, better supermarket in carraroe and smaller one in current location. This idea that it would mean all people would have to go out of town to shop is just rubbish. Do you think tesco would be that stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I always shopped at Tesco until I moved to Sligo. Not only is the layout of the store a joke, trying to negotiate that car park with a full trolley is crazy if you cannot get parked close by, which is often the case. I also begrudge having to pay to park at a supermarket too. Dunnes and Lidl get my business now as they provide easier access for shoppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

A lot of them did then they moved out of town and it destroyed the center.
    What are you supposed to do if you dont drive?
    The whole northside of sligo and out the strandhill road and places like that are no were near walking distance.Actually a previous poster made a good point the docks would be a good place.

I'm sure they wouldn't totally alienate the city centre people,or the few who don't drive. Look at everywhere else,they seem to manage. Living in Dublin I'm yet to find a big Tesco or Dunnes because I always stay in the city centre and I just use the bus.
    There is a far greater number of people per population who dont drive in Dublin city centre than in Sligo and they can manage just fine. Tesco Express or whatever would be introduced.
    Your one of the select few.The only people it would benefit are people coming from Collooney/Ballisadare.It would hinder most residents of Sligo.If you dont drive you would be left high and dry.We will then have threads started by people complaining "why are there no supermarkets walking distance of sligo"

I don't understand how she is one of the ''select few''. The select few who drive or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

In more positive news..

Visited Homestore & More this afternoon... it's gonna hit Homebase hard (much more reasonable than Homebase)!

Some great opener offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Basq wrote: »
    In more positive news..

Visited Homestore & More this afternoon... it's gonna hit Homebase hard (much more reasonable than Homebase)!

Where exactly is it located in town?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Where exactly is it located in town?

Right beside homebase up in the retail park.

Basq wrote: »
    In more positive news..

I agree it will hit Homebase hard. Fair play to homestore though, opening new shops in a recession and still making profit whilst keeping prices down!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Right beside homebase up in the retail park.

So it's literally a direct challenge from them then, pretty ballsy I must say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So it's literally a direct challenge from them then, pretty ballsy I must say.

They may not have had much of a choice. They took one of the biggest units there, I don't know of another unit anywhere that would be that side apart from in the cleveragh retail park which is in a crap location in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

I noticed that Smyths have an application in the window of the old Toy City shop at Carraroe.
    I wonder are they relocating, opening a second shop or just a 2nd shop for Xmas?

newwifey wrote: »
    I noticed that Smyths have an application in the window of the old Toy City shop at Carraroe.
    I wonder are they relocating, opening a second shop or just a 2nd shop for Xmas?

I heard that they are wanting to relocate around Feb 2012. Cant see why they would struggle with planning permission, they sell toys and so did Toy City and its the same building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

whatswhat wrote: »
    I heard that they are wanting to relocate around Feb 2012. Cant see why they would struggle with planning permission, they sell toys and so did Toy City and its the same building.

I guess that they might be moving due to an increase of rent in current location, and that they will get a nice reduction in rent payments if they move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

whatswhat wrote: »
    the planning is more than likely just for to change the shop front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Just saw today Hidden Hearing have opened a branch in Quayside shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mongoola

the planning is more than likely just for to change the shop front.

That's correct, but their application to Sligo Co. Co. was incomplete!!. Whatever that means.:confused:

mongoola wrote: »
    That's correct, but their application to Sligo Co. Co. was incomplete!!. Whatever that means.:confused:

No brown envelope. :D

mongoola wrote: »
    Their application required assembly.. and they charge extra for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Why would they want to change the shopfront of a premises that has nothing to do with them? Toy city was a different place altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Why would they want to change the shopfront of a premises that has nothing to do with them? Toy city was a different place altogether.
    smyths are planning to move into it and theyd need permission to change a sign as it would be seen as changing the face of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Heard today that work has started on Aldi in Sligo today. Not sure if its true though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

red sean wrote: »
    Heard today that work has started on Aldi in Sligo today. Not sure if its true though!

Wonder where it is? Aldi is much like Lidl, no? Or is that Netto? Curse these low end supermarkets and their non sensical names!

I'd love an ASDA in that retail park where HomeBase is...

Wonder where it is? Aldi is much like Lidl, no? Or is that Netto? Curse these low end supermarkets and their non sensical names!

I'd love an ASDA in that retail park where HomeBase is...

ASDA have plans to open a Sligo store not sure when or where though.

• Advertisement

ASDA have plans to open a Sligo store not sure when or where though.
    This rumour again?

I'll believe it when I see it...

Advertisement