Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Plazaman wrote: »
    I see The Food Centre (Abbey Foods) are moving to a bigger space in Cleveragh (beside Expert Electrical). They have a sign over there saying opening March 2013. I like this place, it's like a cash n carry open to everybody.
    Yep, won a €60 voucher recently for the place and was in there on Saturday spending it.

Great if you've the freezer space!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, won a €60 voucher recently for the place and was in there on Saturday spending it.

Great if you've the freezer space!

Woohooo, BBQ at Basq's - €60 will get about 1200 sausages. OK get a few of the chicken strips as well for the vegetarians :D.

Agree about the freezer space, what an opprotunity for The Food Centre and Expert to team up. Buy a chest freezer and get a food voucher. Or buy €500 worth of food and get a free fridge...... ok there maybe a few kinks to be ironed out or terms and conditions to be added etc but it's a start dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=24118

Nice to see local sligo business men defeated the the big guns been fronted by RGDATA.i believe the local supermarkets were trying to close the original outlet and were hell bent on stopping the new outlet,

Its good to see the small local man winning over the big boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

W in Derry earlier today and HMV was opened for a complete clearance sale - though from what I seen games weren't reduced.

Was anyone in Sligo today to see if our branch is open or might they just move stock to a store in a bigger town/city so as to reduce running/staffing costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

I think shop is already empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

You know now I think of it, this store might have escaped the previous closures. I was under the impression it had re-opened but must have been mistaken.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    You know now I think of it, this store might have escaped the previous closures. I was under the impression it had re-opened but must have been mistaken.
    All stores were closed, and stock was seized.

There was no clearance sale.

Even if there was, they wouldn't have staff to man the tills! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Vohnsom Hofmee

"M. Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe" opening on the corner next to Subway. Looked in the window today as they were setting up, and they have American 12-packs of Vanilla Coke, Strawberry Fanta, Wild Cherry Pepsi, and Cherry Dr. Pepper.

Saw this last week alright..

.. could be great.

Although with all rare US candy and exports, it'll be pricey enough. Not to say it won't be a success - Candyland in Galway are doing very well AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Been into the new sweet shop and despite 2 White Reece's Cups being a ridiculous price at 1.90, I admit I have been back again to buy Welch's Grape Soda, Butterfingers, Icy Cups and the new discovery of mine which are those gummy beer bottles.. Delicious! Big fan of the chocolate bars they sell although a touch on the expensive side considering the size of the bar. 3.95 for 120g I think. Caramel Hazelnut and Praline bar is beyond good, Caramel flavoured chocolate with flecked of praline. The chocolate is super creamy!

I have found the positive side to the hefty price tags for all the candy though, I'm not inclined to spend more than a fiver for some sweets in a week and by buying expensive sweets, I buy less. So it's more of a treat that way! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Noticed a new Pet Discount store on the way to work this morning as I was driving over Hughes Bridge. It is located by Quay St car park.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was talking to a lady the other day who is opening a new shop on our connell street. It's called Smart Cubby. They are selling kids stuff like clothes, toys and prams. They'll let you trade in stuff there as well.

I think it's number 9 they are moving into. Anyone know what building that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Tesco are no longer open 24hr. Since 7th May. It's a pity. Great for nocturnal types like myself or when you're stuck for something. The Esso on Pearse Road is handy but it was nice being able to grocery shop in peace.
    They are there stacking shelves anyway and I think there's always a manager on duty. Security was probably the only extra (he might be there too anyway). Always a good few in and out up to 4 a.m. between students, taxi drivers, bar staff, factory workers etc. Might not have made a fortune but would've paid for itself and was very handy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I dunno il gatto I'd often be hanging round after a night out and plenty of times at 4 in the morning there'd be more staff than customers

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I dunno il gatto I'd often be hanging round after a night out and plenty of times at 4 in the morning there'd be more staff than customers

But my point is that the staff are there anyway. They still have to clean and restock. They aren't there just because it's open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Are the staff there all night though? When I worked here (many moons ago!!!) we always finished restocking the shelfs at around 11pm or so if I remember correctly. There definitely wasn't any staff in there after 12am anyway.

Are the staff there all night though? When I worked here (many moons ago!!!) we always finished restocking the shelfs at around 11pm or so if I remember correctly. There definitely wasn't any staff in there after 12am anyway.

A friend of mine worked there every summer from school and college and he worked through the night. They now just let the last people out at 12 and carry on. There was always at least 10-12 people there at 3-4 in the morning. There's no way it was just to restock the few items selling at that time. They have a lot to do.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Is HMV re-opening? was in Johnstons Court the other day and saw a big 'New store coming soon' banner outside HMV.

Is HMV re-opening? was in Johnstons Court the other day and saw a big 'New store coming soon' banner outside HMV.
    Saw it this morning... unlikely to be HMV though.

They're only opening four shops in the country (3 in Dublin, 1 in Limerick) in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Basq wrote: »
    Saw it this morning... unlikely to be HMV though.

They're only opening four shops in the country (3 in Dublin, 1 in Limerick) in the next few weeks.

Will they accept gift cards issued before or no info about this?

• Advertisement

loki7777 wrote: »
    Will they accept gift cards issued before or no info about this?
    Too early to say.... have a €20 one myself.

While they'd probably prefer not to - given that they're standard HMV gift-cards, I can't see any reason for them to refuse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The Bagel Coffee Shop in Quayside is under refurbishment and will open soon under new management. According to a notice on the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Noticed a new Pet Discount store on the way to work this morning as I was driving over Hughes Bridge. It is located by Quay St car park.

Was in there over the week.It's where KG Construction used to be situated. They had (what I assumed to be) great prices on stuff! They had a 50% off deal on certain sized bags of Royal Canin so I helped myself to one!

I was also told that they were doing something on the 29th, you can get your animal chipped for free!

Bet you it will be another clothes store!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I hope not, we'll have to wait and see what happens I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was HMV one of the Anchor Stores. If so hopefully its a big name. An M&S would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

A Post office has opened in Ballysadare, beside Lannons pharmacy opposite SuperValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

The word on the street, well Market St. at least, is that the old Innisfree hotel will re-open as a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The word on the street, well Market St. at least, is that the old Innisfree hotel will re-open as a hostel.
    Hight street;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

It's not a shop, but has anyone on boards.ie checked out ROM, the new fitness centre opened in Cleveragh Retail Park?
    I've been to a few classes and got the month unlimited membership. Never sweat in my life like I did during the Kettlerex class. It was absolutely insane! I'd recommend it to anyone into their fitness and interested in trying something new. I headed to my local gym to do a little bit of light cardio after a session and it was absolutely miserable. Atmosphere just isn't the same!

Advertisement