Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu Vaccination + general swine flu chat thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

WTF? How does a medical student "not agree" with vaccinations?

I'm told my GP isn't recommending the vaccine:rolleyes:
    Well my eldest is ill....fever and achy so I'll assume it's flu though she has few respiratory symptoms yet other than a mild cough. Damn I had hoped we would hold out til the schools vaccination starts in December. Now we just have to stay away from her grandad for a couple of weeks (LTI)til I think we're all...all clear . Thankfully he has just decided to get his vaccination this week.

So what happens with the schools vaccs if you "think" the child has already had it but aren't sure:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 HollyEvans

Anyone have any idea of the overall "take up rate" on this vaccine.

It looks to me like less than 2% of the population at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Pandemerix is the only vaccine cleared for a single shot. Only patients under 13 and those who are immunocompromised will need 2 shots.
    I'm not immunocompromised and when I got the Pandemrix shot I was told I would need a 2nd one three weeks later. I don't think everyone providing the shots and the information are singing from the same hymn sheet at the moment.
    Got my swine flu jab on Thursday and my seasonal flu jab on Friday.
    I thought the swine flu jab was the exact same as the normal seasonal jab, just with the H1N1 strain added. I might be wrong though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hrududu wrote: »
    I'm not immunocompromised and when I got the Pandemrix shot I was told I would need a 2nd one three weeks later. I don't think everyone providing the shots and the information are singing from the same hymn sheet at the moment.

It was initially thought that 2 doses of Pandermix would be needed but last Monday the HSE clarified that only one dose was required (except in the immunocompromised and under 13's). This was on the back of advice from the WHO.
    Hrududu wrote: »
    I thought the swine flu jab was the exact same as the normal seasonal jab, just with the H1N1 strain added. I might be wrong though.
    No seperate vaccines unfortunately. It is ok to get both at the same time (can get a few references for this if required)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

RobFowl wrote: »
    It was initially thought that 2 doses of Pandermix would be needed but last Monday the HSE clarified that only one dose was required (except in the immunocompromised and under 13's). This was on the back of advice from the WHO.

I've been told to get two doses. I'm not immunocompromised but I do fall into the "at-risk" category (type 1 IDDM).

I'm going to get the second shot anyway (because I was told to) but is it really that necessary or are they just being cautious?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I've been told to get two doses. I'm not immunocompromised but I do fall into the "at-risk" category (type 1 IDDM).

I'm going to get the second shot anyway (because I was told to) but is it really that necessary or are they just being cautious?
    Pandermix is one dose only for the non-immunocompromised over 13ys but Celvapan is 2 doses for everyone
    I can only advise you to discuss that with your GP or diabetic team but here is the information the HSE is giving toi heath professionals

"How many doses of pandemic vaccine are required?
    The following recommendations regarding the dosage of Pandemrix vaccine have been made by the National
    Public Health Emergency Team following current advice from the National Immunisation Advisory Committee
    Number of doses Celvapan Pandemrix
    Children 6 months to 12 years (up to 13th birthday) 2 doses 2 doses
    Children aged 13 and over and adults who are
    immunocompromised* 2 doses 2 doses
    Children aged 13 years and over and adults
    (including HCWs) who are NOT
    immunocompromised 2 doses 1 dose
    Pregnant women and up to 6 weeks post partum 2 doses 1 dose

* due to disease or on immunosuppressive treatment"

http://www.immunisation.ie/en/Downloads/PDFFile_16232_en.pdf (page 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

Does anyone know how they are picking the children in the under 5 group that are being vaccinated. My GP tells me that there are 180,000 children in this category and they are calling 20,000 a week. How do they decide who is in week one and who is in week 2 and so on? Is by lottery, or age, or location or just good old fashioned Irish pull?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered somewhere else. I've looked but can't find the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

touts wrote: »
    Does anyone know how they are picking the children in the under 5 group that are being vaccinated. My GP tells me that there are 180,000 children in this category and they are calling 20,000 a week. How do they decide who is in week one and who is in week 2 and so on? Is by lottery, or age, or location or just good old fashioned Irish pull?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered somewhere else. I've looked but can't find the answer.

I thought this was britain? Are they doing that here too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I imagine its by age- as in- week 1 Jan born babies, week 2 Feb born babies (and so on). The uptake rate is a lot lower than they are hoping for- so its entirely possible that some of the restrictions on categories may be relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭kkth0360

I had mine a week or so ago.
    The injection site bled a bit for a few seconds when the needle was withdrawn - I know that the doctor who administered the injection would have aspirated before injecting the vaccine, but theoretically, if the entire vaccine was inadvertently injected intravascularly rather than intramuscularly, would it still be effective?

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    I imagine its by age- as in- week 1 Jan born babies, week 2 Feb born babies (and so on). The uptake rate is a lot lower than they are hoping for- so its entirely possible that some of the restrictions on categories may be relaxed.

I was actually incorrect here.
    I was talking to one of the admin staff who are organising this- and they said they've broken it down by areas- targetting certain areas first. She also said take-up was significantly down on where they had expected todate.

smccarrick wrote: »
    I was actually incorrect here.
    I was talking to one of the admin staff who are organising this- and they said they've broken it down by areas- targetting certain areas first. She also said take-up was significantly down on where they had expected todate.

I'm a GP and am involved in giving tha vaccine. Have to say I'm quite surprised at how resistant some people are to getting it. Out of 600 high risk patients I care for only 200 have had it to date.
    Just wondering what is it that puts most people off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I'm a GP and am involved in giving tha vaccine. Have to say I'm quite surprised at how resistant some people are to getting it. Out of 600 high risk patients I care for only 200 have had it to date.

Hmnnn. There's a waiting list in my area for it. They ran out of the supply so it caused a back log.

HollyEvans wrote: »
    A waiting list??

I know my GP can take next day appointments, seems to have plenty of vaccines.

Depends- my GP hasn't had any vaccine for the past 2 weeks. Once her initial delivery was used up- she hasn't been restocked by the HSE. Given the number of people due the second top-up jab, I'm not sure what shes going to do......

Hmnnn. There's a waiting list in my area for it. They ran out of the supply so it caused a back log.
    We've actually had a waiting list but that was more because there was a shortage of vaccines delivered (and only a delivery every 2 Weeks) but from next week we are actually able to order as much as we need.

I'm surpirsed your GP can offer a same day service as the vaccine comes in 10 dose packs so you need to have 10 people ready to get it or else you end up wasting supplies (once made up it's only usable for 24 hours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

I am high risk group. Already had flu vaccine.
    I couldnt get off work to go to my GP. GP is a couple hours from job.
    Well, now im off work with Swine flu. Good one.

Same as normal flu. Coughing some blood too, but not much.
    Generally feel like sh1t and no appetite. Just want to veg out.
    Even walking a few meters is extremely draining.

Doc didnt swap. Said no point at this stage.
    That I either have normal flu (unlikely with vaccine) or swine flu.
    But i should get the swine flu vaccine when im better anyway, in case it isnt actually swine flu.

HollyEvans wrote: »
    Interesting, how do you know that it is swine flu?

You dont. He said Its just the most likely since i had the normal flu vaccine already. Got some drugs and home i go (yes, on the phone they told me to come into the surgery).

It kind of started with a small bit of a temperature and an itchy throat for a day or 2 - like you feel when you are getting a slight cold.
    Then in the middle of the night the train hit me and that was that. Doctor time.

The complete lack of strength and the temperature and sweats and the mad headache (that went after 2 days at least) are by far the worst things. Sore throat is mild enough. Cough is bad and phlegmy, but ive had worse. Not really too much of a runny nose.

All in all id say while its definitely a knockout punch, ive had the flu before and it was much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭someoneok

I find all this quite amazing.........

<SNIP>

conspiracy theory nonsense is not tolerated on this forum. There are other places for this sort of thing

Back up your assertions with clear and independent science

thanks

MM

<was an answer to conpiracy post above.
    Since that post was deleted so shall this one>

Advise please :)

My child is on day 6 of "a" flu and (hopefully) over the worst . I've followed all the guidelines ie calpol, nurofen etc and haven't felt the need to bring her to the GP (bar a minor panic phase when her temp shot up to 104.6 :eek:). But should I ring the GP anyway so they know from a statistics point of view :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 summer21

Has anyone had the 2nd dose of vacine yet?
    Does HSE clinic send out appointment?

I has my first vacine at HSE clinic and was told they would call you back if you need 2nd one.
    I haven't been called even though it is 3 week and the card says i got the one that require 2 doses.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

summer21 wrote: »
    Has anyone had the 2nd dose of vacine yet?
    Does HSE clinic send out appointment?

I has my first vacine at HSE clinic and was told they would call you back if you need 2nd one.
    I haven't been called even though it is 3 week and the card says i got the one that require 2 doses.

Thanks

I asked that question here at least twice already, no answer..
    I booked my 2nd shot for tomorrow, exactly 3 weeks from my first shot.
    I will post if I got it or was turned away.
    I wouldn't be banking on HSE calling people back, the logistics and cost of sending everyone a letter would be enormous.
    Do what I did and book your 2nd shot if its been 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

littlebug wrote: »
    Advise please :)

My child is on day 6 of "a" flu and (hopefully) over the worst . I've followed all the guidelines ie calpol, nurofen etc and haven't felt the need to bring her to the GP (bar a minor panic phase when her temp shot up to 104.6 :eek:). But should I ring the GP anyway so they know from a statistics point of view :confused:
    No, only a small number of GP surgeries are monitoring statistics (50 nationwide I think). Most of them are so busy with clinics and queries about swine flu that they your call will not be of any constructive use.

However your post shows that with common sense people can manage most cases of flu at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

A friend of mine told me yesterday not to get vaccinated because I will need regular booster shots, new vaccinations every winter for the rest of my life, and will be left with a compromised immune system.

Do people who get the vaccine need regular booster shots?

Are people who get the vaccine more vulnerable to flus in the future?

Will people who get the vaccine need to be vaccinated against new strains every winter?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I got my 2nd shot at the HSE clinic this afternoon. Booked it online a week ago.
    No waiting, no fuss.
    I would encourage anyone due an extra shot (Celvapan) to book and go get it!
    Obviously you have to wait 3 weeks from your first one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭maryjane007

it does go by location but they are also starting with the oldest in the age group ie starting at 4 years ols and working down. if you have other children under one they will do them at the same time.

couple of other things though they are not fully immune until a couple of weeks after the second shot so they dont have total immunity for around 5 weeks. dont know if this was mentioned already but i think its worth pointing out just in case

also my gp is not getting it herself and not getting it for her children, that doesnt fill her patients with confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

condra wrote: »
    A friend of mine told me yesterday not to get vaccinated because I will need regular booster shots, new vaccinations every winter for the rest of my life, and will be left with a compromised immune system.

Do people who get the vaccine need regular booster shots?

Are people who get the vaccine more vulnerable to flus in the future?

Will people who get the vaccine need to be vaccinated against new strains every winter?

Thanks

Your friend is very wrong. You will need either one or two shots depending on your circumstances and which of the 2 vaccines you're given, and then that is it for the Pandemic H1N1 (Swine Flu) for you.

Seasonal Flu shots are different. There's a different vaccine each year according to the common strains present that year. Once you get the shot, that's if for those strains as far as you're concerned. If the following year's strains are different, then you would need another shot to be vaccinated against those strains. Generally, only the at risk population get the seasonal flu shot.

So, the answers to your questions are:
    1. No.
    2. No.
    3. Yes, sort of, but not because you got the Swine Flu vaccine this year.

Well after a week of being only able to type on boards im feeling much better today.
    It was a bad ordeal alright, but you just feel much better one day.
    Most days you cant even summon the strength to walk to the bathroom. Its mad how long you think about it before you make the effort.

I really thought i would miss my holidays, but im going to be able to fly out tomorrow night yippeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

nice one

really good to here your over the worst Kooli :)

• Advertisement

However your post shows that with common sense people can manage most cases of flu at home.

So much for that...:o Day 9 with little improvement and still high temps so I decided that mammy medicine just wasn't winning and called in the big guns. Anti-b on the way and probably another week off school :(

Advertisement