Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu Vaccination + general swine flu chat thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

how are we suppised to not mix them up?

I hate when charities say things like this.

Meningitis doesn't just start out of a big stiff neck with photophobia and the other classic meningitis sign.

Neisseria meningitidis colonises the airways, where the infection often starts.

Swine flu is irrelevant in this case. If the doc thought she had flu, he would have treated her as flu, whether swine flu or non swine flu. If he thought she had meningism, he would have sent her to hospital.

I don't know whether he should have spotted it. But I doubt the existence of swine flu had anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Firstly, the way in which you have edited your quotes makes it look as if I said those things. I didn't (although as it happens I agree with them). My post was clearly marked 'For Info' and it was quite clear that it was an article that I was quoting. So, it was the writer of the article that said them, not me.

Secondly, what is your source for what the family said?

Thirdly, an article that counters scaremongering is not in itself scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Well, we all got out jabs yesterday. Myself and one of the girls have Asthma, and we got her twin sis done while we were there. The wife completed the set, I recommended it as she works with kids, so is at risk of not just catching, but of passing it on to a large number.

Sore arm, but was able to sleep on it, so not that bad. Same as the regular flu jab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I spoke to my GP about it yesterday. She didnt seem to pushed that either of us get the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My son had the jab today (20yr old asthmatic). I was confused 'cos he was told he'd need another dose in 3wks. I thought that was the case with Calvelpan not Pandemrix (which he says he was given).
    Taken from the HSE website -
    The National Immunisation Advisory Committee has also confirmed that for the Pandemrix vaccine (manufactured by GSK), one dose of the vaccine will be sufficient to protect most people from Swine Flu. Children aged under 13 years and people with immunosuppression will still require two doses of this vaccine.
    For the Celvapan vaccine (manufactured by Baxter), 2 doses of vaccine are still required to give full protection from Swine Flu.
    Both vaccines are considered to be equally effective and have the same safety profile.

He says the nurse told him that this was a different kind of vaccine that he'd need two doses. He signed a form that said it was Pandemrix.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

We got Pandemix and have also been told that we need 2 doses (I am pregnant and a type 1 diabetic and a few other things and the hubby has crohns and is on immumosupressants as a result).

Oh right Cathy, maybe it's just those who have an pre existing condition. My son isn't a bad asthmatic..but this year he's been slightly wheezy most of the time, needing his inhaler regularly for comfort and to stop the coughing. He said everyone in the waiting room was told two doses would be needed, she gave a reason but he can't remember what it was, something about this one being slightly different(?). I'm getting on his nerves asking him questions:o.
    He's after finding the card they gave him, it's Calvepan he got after all. Strange, 'cos when he went in, he signed a consent form to get the Pandemrix.

Ann22 wrote: »
    Oh right Cathy, maybe it's just those who have an pre existing condition. My son isn't a bad asthmatic..but this year he's been slightly wheezy most of the time, needing his inhaler regularly for comfort and to stop the coughing. He said everyone in the waiting room was told two doses would be needed, she gave a reason but he can't remember what it was, something about this one being slightly different(?). I'm getting on his nerves asking him questions:o.
    Its no harm finding out from the HSE either way or your GP.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Its no harm finding out from the HSE either way or your GP.
    I hadn't refreshed the page before I edited my last post Cathy so I'm only after seeing your reply, sorry:o. Glad he found the card, I couldn't get a straight story out of him. My aunt and uncle were done today -Calvepan, they didn't know they'd to go back for another one 'til my mam said it. My auntie checked the card they gave her and sure enough, they've to go back.
    How are you and yours feeling after your shots?

Ann22 wrote: »
    I hadn't refreshed the page before I edited my last post Cathy so I'm only after seeing your reply, sorry:o. Glad he found the card, I couldn't get a straight story out of him. My aunt and uncle were done today -Calvepan, they didn't know they'd to go back for another one 'til my mam said it. My auntie checked the card they gave her and sure enough, they've to go back.
    How are you and yours feeling after your shots?
    The hubby had a sore arm but I was fine. My brother and mother also got it (both in at risk groups) and have been fine, we got ours at the very begining of the vaccination campaign.

• Advertisement

Grand, you'll be well immune by now:). Great to have peace of mind and not be worrying if someone sneezes on you in a queue somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Has it been confirmed by the HSE that anyone that got the Celvapan vaccine needs another dose?
    I presume they won't contact us to call us for another one, was gonna book another one myself.

According to the HSE website yes, with Celvapan, 2 doses are required to give full protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I got mine yesterday (Pandemrix) and the nurse told me that I'd probably need a boost after 3 weeks but to ring close to the time to find out. She told me it was people with Asthma, Diabetes etc that needed the 2nd jab.

I thought I'd be immune after about 2 weeks, but she said 3 and after I got the 2nd jab.

Hrududu my son says he signed something that said Pandemrix on it before his shot but they gave him a card with Calvapan on the back of it afterwards. I think they're going to contact him about an appointment. I don't know for sure what they gave him. He doesn't have immunosuppression I don't think though at the moment he's on 'Singulair' tablets to reduce an inflammatory response in his lungs. The schoolkids are being done from next week, according to the HSE website they'll have to get two jabs anyway:(...does anyone know which vaccine they're getting?

''National Immunisation Advisory Committee has also confirmed that for the Pandemrix vaccine (manufactured by GSK), one dose of the vaccine will be sufficient to protect most people from Swine Flu. Children aged under 13 years and people with immunosuppression will still require two doses of this vaccine.
    For the Celvapan vaccine (manufactured by Baxter), 2 doses of vaccine are still required to give full protection from Swine Flu.
    Both vaccines are considered to be equally effective and have the same safety profile''.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

It is kind of confusing because I too had read that Pandemrix required just one shot. When I signed the form I didn't see anything on it listing the name of the vaccine. Although I was pretty rushed so I may have missed it. The only reason I know I got Pandemrix is because they gave me a card with it written on it. The front of the card has a number of fields including 'Dose 1 Date' and 'Dose 2 Date'. She marked in the date that I should get the second jab but said to ring beforehand just to check if I did need it.

So the general consensus is that with Celvapan 2 doses are needed?
    Has anyone gone for the second dose yet?
    Did the HSE clinic contact you or did you just make the appointment yourself?

I would like to ask the clinic or HSE themselves these questions but as the clinics are temporary operations they have no listed phone number. HSE have a crappy recorded message which is of no use.

So the general consensus is that with Celvapan 2 doses are needed?
    Has anyone gone for the second dose yet?
    Did the HSE clinic contact you or did you just make the appointment yourself?

I would like to ask the clinic or HSE themselves these questions but as the clinics are temporary operations they have no listed phone number. HSE have a crappy recorded message which is of no use.

I didn't ring the number my gp gave me for the swine flu vaccination clinic, I rang my local health board and asked to be put through to someone who dealt with it. I know it says on the HSE website that you need an appointment but the nurse I ended up speaking to said my son didn't need an appointment, just to go up Tues, Wed or Friday. He heard the nurses telling others they'd all need another shot of that particular vaccine so he assumed he was the same. I don't know what it says on the card he got, he's in Dublin since yesterday.
    My mam asked if she'd to get another jab and they said yes, that she'd hear in the post.
    The HSE website says immunosupressed and under 13s need 2 doses of Pandremix.. Everyone needs 2 shots of the Calvapan.

Booked another appointment in the HSE clinic, let's hope I don't get turned away. HSE says one thing, we'll see in a week what the HSE clinic say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Got my swine flu vacc on Tuesday. I'm not high risk, but the rest of my family are, one of whom is immunosuppressant, so my doctor said she would give it to me, too, because of my family situation. I actually hadn't given any thought whatsoever to getting it until she mentioned it! She told me I'd only need one vacc because I wasn't high risk, but mentioned that the family member who's immunosuppressant should receive 2 shots.

Really ironic thing is that, of our family, I'm the one who has had the worst reaction to the vacc, having quite a few of the 'uncommon' symptoms - sleepiness, sick stomach and feeling generally unwell :(. The 'high risk' category are fine after it!

Still, though, I'm glad I got the jab as I am the family member who is most likely to 'pick up' the flu and bring it home, so my mind is a little more at rest now.

• Advertisement

From what i have read on HSE website, HSE clinics only give Celvapan, it is recommended 2 doses for everyone.
    GP's only give Pandemrix, one dose for everyone unless immunosuppressed.

From what i have read on HSE website, HSE clinics only give Celvapan, it is recommended 2 doses for everyone.

I think that info is long out of date at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

No, that information is correct up until late yesterday anyways Locum-motion. Pandemerix is the only vaccine cleared for a single shot. Only patients under 13 and those who are immunocompromised will need 2 shots.
    At present ALL people who have received Celvepan will need 2 shots.
    GP surgeries have only had Pandemerix while as far as I am aware the HSE clinics have only used Celvepan.

If you have a link to different information I would appreciate it but I am certain of that information up to midday yesterday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Big time.
    Even before the official vaccination programme started most GPs had supplies of both Pandemerix and Celvepan.

There was a report in the paper on Tuesday last about a woman who was making complaint to the HSE 'cos her child was given Pandemrix without her consent in the Dundalk clinic. She said she made it clear she wanted Calvapan.
    Convert I assume you must've got Pandemrix too if you've been told one dose is enough, was it your gp gave it to you or was it at a clinic?

No, that information is correct up until late yesterday anyways Locum-motion. Pandemerix is the only vaccine cleared for a single shot. Only patients under 13 and those who are immunocompromised will need 2 shots.
    At present ALL people who have received Celvepan will need 2 shots.
    GP surgeries have only had Pandemerix while as far as I am aware the HSE clinics have only used Celvepan.

If you have a link to different information I would appreciate it but I am certain of that information up to midday yesterday.

You completely misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about the no. of doses. I was talking about the HSE = Celvapan and GP = Pandemrix bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Got my swine flu jab on Thursday and my seasonal flu jab on Friday. My mother is in an at risk group and I am based in a large teaching hospital at the moment and it was felt that I should be immunised quickly so I dont pick up swine flu in the hospital and bring it home to my immunocomprimised mother.

Did not feel good after the jabs, very tired and lots of aches and pains, especially the small joints in my hands, as well as cold symptoms. Got the swine flu injection in my left arm and got the seasonal flu injection in the right and the left was far more painful than the right. Found it hard to sleep!

Was talking to a girl in my class about the vaccine and she said she would not get either flu vaccine as she "does not agree with vaccines". My opinion is that, as a medical student, we have a duty of care to protect the patients we come into contact with, including vaccinating ourselves against communicable illnesses which could potentially pose a threat to patient's lives. Personally, if somebody gave my mother swine flu even though that person had a chance to vaccinate themselves against it, and refused as they "dont agree with vaccines", I would be quite cross. This goes for any communicable disease, not just swine flu.

Im sure the anti-vaccine brigade will come up with compelling arguements as to why we should not be mass vaccinating. I am just hoping that somebody who "does not agree with vaccines" does not pass swine flu to my mother when she gets sneezed on in the supermarket and that we will have a healthy, swine flu free christmas and new year.

sillymoo wrote: »
    Was talking to a girl in my class about the vaccine and she said she would not get either flu vaccine as she "does not agree with vaccines"

Let me guess: she wonders why the healing power of crystals isn't included in the course and can't wait to start writing homeopathic prescriptions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Got my swine flu vaccine a little while back and will be getting the booster shot in about one week.

Only reaction was a sore arm for approx 2 days (which I'm blaming on me tensing before the needle went in instead of the actual injection).

Was just wondering if the mutation that makes the virus resistant to Tamiflu is expected to have an impact on the immunisation? Or is it too soon to tell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

sillymoo wrote: »
    Was talking to a girl in my class about the vaccine and she said she would not get either flu vaccine as she "does not agree with vaccines". My opinion is that, as a medical student, we have a duty of care to protect the patients we come into contact with, including vaccinating ourselves against communicable illnesses which could potentially pose a threat to patient's lives.

WTF? How does a medical student "not agree" with vaccinations?

Would she recommend not giving vaccinations to her patients too? Because not only is that stupid, it's bloody dangerous.

Btw, I hope that no-one does pass swine flu on to your mother and I'm sorry that you had such a bad reaction to it. But you did the right thing in terms of protecting others around you.

Advertisement