Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu Vaccination + general swine flu chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

Supercell wrote: »
    I cant understand people not getting it, I had the flu proper once, and jebus it was fúckin horrible with the shivering, the delrium, the puking stomach cramps, the puking on an empty stomach..did i mention the puking, the wheezing, the sweats, the omfg will i EVAR feel normal egain feeling..look at that that armless legless deaf blind person on tv the lucky barsteward they dont have the flu feeling!!

A couple of days with a sore arm and feeling a bit lethargic versus that..no brainer!!, especially its free and takes 30 mins tops from in to out of there, at least the Bray one was.

Why people dont avail; of this and take the chance to be totally utterally miserable for a week or two over a little sore arm and feeling tired for a day or two is beyond me.

<SNIP>

Mod Note

oh well, none of the scare-mongering and conspiracy stuff please.

oh well wrote: »
    oh well, none of the scare-mongering and conspiracy stuff please.

Sam - who are you to delete my post and edit it to suit your own purposes????? I didn't post the comment you have now attributed to me.

I commented that it was up to people to make their own informed (and even ill-informed) choices about whether to take the vaccine or not. I won't take it - believe its too new and of questionable benefit.

How dare you change my post - I had no scare mongering in it, I simply stated my views on why I would or wouldn't get the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Sam - who are you to delete my post and edit it to suit your own purposes????? I didn't post the comment you have now attributed to me.

I commented that it was up to people to make their own informed (and even ill-informed) choices about whether to take the vaccine or not. I won't take it - believe its too new and of questionable benefit.

How dare you change my post - I had no scare mongering in it, I simply stated my views on why I would or wouldn't get the vaccine.

Oh Well

Sam is one of the moderators of this forum, with that in mind, Sam is perfectly entitled, and indeed supposed to delete or amend any posts that don't fall within the charter or general rules of this forum.

It's also generally accepted that arguing in-thread with a moderator decision isn't on. Please, don't do this again.

Regarding the post that Sam edited, well tbh I'd have edited or deleted it too. We're not fans of scaremongering, hidden agendas or unsubstantiated rumours. This is after all a science based forum. As you can see, I've re-edited the post, to make it totally crystal that this is a moderated post, so you won't have to worry about your comments or Sam's being mis-attributed.

Cheers

MM

- believe its too new and of questionable benefit.

would you like to expand on what you mean here?

It's too new? In what way?

I would also have that the benefits of vaccines had undergone enough scientific study at this stage that we could conclude that they work. Are you calling into question the research that has been done on this vaccine or on all vaccines? If you are, what are you basing these assertions on?

not wishing to get into fights or arguments with anyone but I didn't know Sam was a Mod - I had read the forum charter and saw two other names as Mods and also had seen your name from posts but didn't know who Sam was supposed to be.

I simply do believe that this particular vaccine is new - surely I'm entitled to my opinion. I don't have the same opinion on all vaccines, I'm not anti-vaccine in the least. Supercell said s/he couldn't understand why all people aren't getting it and asked why all people don't avail of the vaccine and I gave my opinion based on any info I have read about it.

I don't have any hidden agenda or wish to scare anyone - sincere apologies if I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

...got the jab yesterday and reallyt not well today....aches and pain's galore....kinna wish i took my chances.....weekends a rightoff now and im normally fairly ressistant to colds and flu's :(

not wishing to get into fights or arguments with anyone but I didn't know Sam was a Mod - I had read the forum charter and saw two other names as Mods and also had seen your name from posts but didn't know who Sam was supposed to be.

I simply do believe that this particular vaccine is new - surely I'm entitled to my opinion. I don't have the same opinion on all vaccines, I'm not anti-vaccine in the least. Supercell said s/he couldn't understand why all people aren't getting it and asked why all people don't avail of the vaccine and I gave my opinion based on any info I have read about it.

I don't have any hidden agenda or wish to scare anyone - sincere apologies if I did.

ok cool :)

now on the vaccine, how much do you know about how it is made and produced? This is not a smart arse or loaded question, i'm genuinely asking here

I've read and understood as much as possible can (for a layman) about the flu, the two vaccines avail in Ireland and additionally just back from few weeks in Australia and got insight into their attitudes to it too. While swine flu is evident there and they do have a vaccine for it - not either of the ones avail here. They are using Panvax. There is no great general talk about swine flu in the news, papers or discussions. The family I was staying with (where the wife is a working nurse) was surprised at the level of attention being paid to it in Ireland. They haven't insisted or advised schools, public buildings, public toilets, etc, with hand gels and they don't appear to have any higher levels or deaths of the flu of any other country. It is also not seen as a factor that northern hemisphere in in winter time (flu season).

Australian government health notices and literature for the vaccine they are using only mentions "protection may last for up to, or beyond, one year. "

China is very aware of swine flu - passengers on incoming planes are assessed by their government medical teams before people are allowed to disembark. Anyone showing signs of a temperature or flu are taken aside - haven't found out yet what happens to these people!!!!

In Canada they have only ordered enough vaccine for 50% of the population as they believe that's all they will cover.

The confusing statements for various Irish GPs, clinics and the health boards as to whether one or two doses of the vaccine are required also give me cause for some concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

For information:
    The identities of the mods for any given forum can be found at the bottom of that forum.
    The forum charter, while it will probably contain posts made by the mods, doesn't tell you who the mods are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Angbear

Hi,

I am just following up on Stoffa's message re the second Celvapan vaccine and if it has been definitely decided if we need it or not.

I am very anxious about this.

Even if we were to just have the one dose of it, what level of immunity would we get from this? (ie are we 90% covered and just require the booster to provide the remaining couple per cent) or does the fact we don't get the booster mean that any immunity received from the initial vaccine will just wear off and leave us with nil.

Wish I had taken the Pandemerx one now.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I had a fairly mild flu back in the autumn after being in contact with swine flu. I have M.E and do not take vaccinations. I know many who feel the same and that is our free choice. I am in an age category also.

Last week, I caught what seemed to be a bad cold, now starting to worsen. I am out very little so can pinpoint the date.

It is far worse than that mild flu was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Angbear wrote: »
    Hi,

I am just following up on Stoffa's message re the second Celvapan vaccine and if it has been definitely decided if we need it or not.

I am very anxious about this.

Even if we were to just have the one dose of it, what level of immunity would we get from this? (ie are we 90% covered and just require the booster to provide the remaining couple per cent) or does the fact we don't get the booster mean that any immunity received from the initial vaccine will just wear off and leave us with nil.

Wish I had taken the Pandemerx one now.

Thanks

+1

Could somebody please advise if the booster shot is simply a repeat administration of the Celvapan vaccine? ie. two identical jabs given 3 weeks apart.

Or is it in some way different regarding its content and/or dose size?

Also for one Child I was given a card with a Celvapan batch number on it for the first Child (but in the a different HSE Centre) I wasn't?????

Mod Note

Guys and Gals

We cannot and will not be advising any poster on their specific cases regarding the flu or the flu vaccine.

There is info posted on the HSE website, but if you have any doubts or questions then you need to contact either your GP, the clinic where you received the vaccine or directly to the HSE on the phone numbers listed on their site.

This thread is not for medical discussions of a personal nature. There is nowhere on this website that allows that. It is for general and non-patient specific conversation.

Cheers

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Angbear

Hello MM

Apologies if this is directed at me...just getting frustrated at the conflicting advice I am receiving re vaccinations! will keep it general. Thanks.

hey angbear

not directed at anyone in particular. Just a general thing.

hope your getting sorted

cheers

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Hi Folks,

Apologies if this has been covered already just a few questions I hope can be answered...

1) What was the testing/validation procedure for Celvapan and Pandemrix (preferably in laymans terms)?
    2) Was the above testing sufficient in comparison to other historic vaccine introductions?
    3) Is there a measureable mercury component in either of the vaccines?
    4) Have the HSE or similar group have any response/plan regarding GPs who don't recommend the vaccine?

Thanks,
    LK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

LeperKing wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Apologies if this has been covered already just a few questions I hope can be answered...

1) What was the testing/validation procedure for Celvapan and Pandemrix (preferably in laymans terms)?
    2) Was the above testing sufficient in comparison to other historic vaccine introductions?
    3) Is there a measureable mercury component in either of the vaccines?
    4) Have the HSE or similar group have any response/plan regarding GPs who don't recommend the vaccine?

Thanks,
    LK.

Dunno the particulars of the testing/clinical trials, but the vaccine is pretty much the same as the seasonal vaccine that has been administered to the elderly every year, and it has a similar safety profile with the main complaint being tenderness in the injection area (as you might expect). It's made the exact same way as the others, there's no reason why this one would suddenly make arms start falling off, etc. !
    Read more here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_vaccine#Adverse_events

As for mercury, some nutjobs like Jenny McCarthy make a big deal about the fact that some multi-dose versions contain the mercury-based preservative, Thiomersal. But every reputable body that has examined it over the years has reported that it's safe. A dose of the vaccine may contain about 25 micrograms of mercury; a tuna sandwich contains about 28 micrograms !
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_vaccine#Thiomersal
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/health/10primer.html?_r=2

Dunno about question 4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

NaomiQuinn wrote: »
    Only one in five children have had the vaccine according to a report released lately.

Mmmm- so given the multiple waves experienced in the US and Australia- we can expect a resurgence sometime before Easter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

mmmmmmmmmmm i had swine flu, suck it up people:D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I got the vaccine Tuesday, from about an hour after, me and the rest of my family who got it had severe pains all up our arm we were injected in. It was like I had been hit. As a result I couldn't sleep on my side last night. My brother couldn't sleep because of a splitting headache and vomitting after it. Now the pain in my arm has subsided. <Mod edit: offering advice> , I had no idea I would be suffering these side effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Cian92 wrote: »
    I got the vaccine Tuesday, from about an hour after, me and the rest of my family who got it had severe pains all up our arm we were injected in. It was like I had been hit. As a result I couldn't sleep on my side last night. My brother couldn't sleep because of a splitting headache and vomitting after it. Now the pain in my arm has subsided. <Mod edit: offering advice>, I had no idea I would be suffering these side effects.

It's unfortunate and regrettable that you and some family members suffered from such side effects, but not unexpected. It can happen, and will happen to some people. But for every one it does happen to, there'll probably be several more that it won't happen to, but they won't all come on here to shout about it.

Your personal experience is just that; it's yours and it's personal.
    It does not entitle you to come on here and make recommendations to other people as to whether or not they should get the vaccine. I don't know if you're a doctor or not, but even if you are, you are not my doctor. How dare you presume to offer me advice?

I just found this site detailing the clinical trials for the H1N1 vaccine. It's not an easy read for a layperson ! :eek:

Pregnant women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ferdyfish

cant find anything when i google to find the side effects recorded so far by the HSE after the swine flu vaccine. anyone have any info on this? and the side effects that occured in babys of under 1 year.
    my 6month old son is getting it tomorrow. i wouldnt have a 6month old get the vaccine but his mum booked him in.

ferdyfish wrote: »
    cant find anything when i google to find the side effects recorded so far by the HSE after the swine flu vaccine. anyone have any info on this? and the side effects that occured in babys of under 1 year.
    my 6month old son is getting it tomorrow. i wouldnt have a 6month old get the vaccine but his mum booked him in.
    Why would you not have a 6 month old vaccinated? That's when they need them most, when they're vulnerable. You're playing a dangerous game if you put off vaccinations simple because your baby won't enjoy it.

I don't have any info on side effects for children specifically, but I would imagine it's the same deal as every one else: local discomfort around the area, bit of muscle pain, for most. It's not that common, but some people feel nauseous.

Small price to pay for immunity against a virus that could kill the child, I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ferdyfish

of course he'll have discomfort for the day, its not because he wont enjoy it. i just dont think enought small babys have gotten the vaccine for people to know the vaccine is safe, the HSE site info is limited and i just wanted to know the figures as to how many people showed bad side effects and very bad side effects such as guillain-barre syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Eoghan_84

mod edit

conspiracy theory stuff removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

eoghan, this is the scientific discussion forum.

take conspiracy theory stuff to that forum, there is already a thread there on what you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 39 murfbrowne

just wondering how much per vaccine are gps getting, it struck me that they are pushing it a little too much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

murfbrowne wrote: »
    just wondering how much per vaccine are gps getting, it struck me that they are pushing it a little too much.

A tenner a go.
    Its far from a money spinner.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 murfbrowne

i have two babies so i think i will get them vaccinated i was just a bit worried about gps concerns.that answers my question

Advertisement