Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu Vaccination + general swine flu chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

littlebug wrote: »
    So much for that...:o Day 9 with little improvement and still high temps so I decided that mammy medicine just wasn't winning and called in the big guns. Anti-b on the way and probably another week off school :(

By anti-b I assume you mean antibiotic, do you?
    I cannot say this loudly enough or often enough, because the message never seems to get through to some people:
    ANTIBIOTICS DO NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO HELP THE 'FLU OR A COLD!

Here's a thread that touches on this subject, if anyone's interested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055688678

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

By anti-b I assume you mean antibiotic, do you?
    I cannot say this loudly enough or often enough, because the message never seems to get through to some people:
    ANTIBIOTICS DO NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO HELP THE 'FLU OR A COLD!

Here's a thread that touches on this subject, if anyone's interested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055688678

sorry what did you say? ... maybe a little louder and I might understand.:rolleyes: That was a tad rude for a moderator I have to say.

so.... maybe my child hasn't got a flu or a cold then. The docs words words were "well after 9 days of fever her body is obviously fighting something and fighting well but not winning". I'm not a medic but NO mother could watch a child with very high temps for 9 days and not ask for medical opinion. I'll leave it at that...I'll bow out of this thread now.

sorry what did you say? ... maybe a little louder and I might understand.:rolleyes: That was a tad rude for a moderator I have to say.

Sorry, wasn't intended to be rude to you.
    I was just venting a little frustration. Even mods are allowed to do that from time to time!

so.... maybe my child hasn't got a flu or a cold then. The docs words words were "well after 9 days of fever her body is obviously fighting something and fighting well but not winning". I'm not a medic but NO mother could watch a child with very high temps for 9 days and not ask for medical opinion.

Correct, maybe it is something else. And I'm glad you did go back and talk to the Dr again. And I hope your child feels better soon. But way too many parents expect and/or demand an A/B for a cold/flu, and far too many GPs give it to them. And this is the Swine Flu thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

If a viral infection like flu persists there is a real risk of a bacterial infection setting in. Most doctors will prescribe an anti biotic. No they don't work for viruses but secondary bacterial infections are common. Taking an antibiotic is this situation is wise imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm getting vaccinated this afternoon!

France spend a load of money organising a vaccination campaign and for the first few weeks no one turned up. Then a few schools closed etc and now the clinics are jam packed!

My grandfather in law is a retired doctor and he will be vaccinating this week (they are using volunteers a lot).

I will be happy to be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

<Mod Snip
    Post asking for medical advice.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

summer21 wrote: »
    Has anyone had the 2nd dose of vacine yet?
    Does HSE clinic send out appointment?

I has my first vacine at HSE clinic and was told they would call you back if you need 2nd one.
    I haven't been called even though it is 3 week and the card says i got the one that require 2 doses.

Thanks

In reference to pregnant women - My wife got the celvapan vaccine last week. She was told that she needs a second shot three weeks from the the date of the first. You should arrange to get the second shot three weeks from the first whether the HSE contact you or not. If there are no empty slots to get it, then just turn up at one of the clinics. They wont turn you away.

My understanding is that if you get the pandemrix vaccine you do not need a second shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ergo

so.... maybe my child hasn't got a flu or a cold then. The docs words words were "well after 9 days of fever her body is obviously fighting something and fighting well but not winning". I'm not a medic but NO mother could watch a child with very high temps for 9 days and not ask for medical opinion. I'll leave it at that...I'll bow out of this thread now.

just to row in to support you littlebug (and risk pi**ing off a mod....) but 9 days with fever in general in a kid would look less like simple virus and more like something else or a superimposed bacterial infection on top of a virus (this is obviously in general and not referring to your kid specifically) so the anti-antibiotic rant not really justified...and believe me, I am as anti-inappropriate-antibiotic-prescribing as they come

dragging the thread off topic could also bring on the wrath of the mods :rolleyes:

so, back on topic

got my swine flu vaccine today.....I'm still typing (and also alive..!)

personally didn't really want to get it but felt it would be in the patients' best interests if I'm not infecting them with swine flu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

ergo wrote: »

dragging the thread off topic could also bring on the wrath of the mods :rolleyes:

it won't :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ok so I did come back..:o
    And I'm glad you did go back and talk to the Dr again.

I didn't go back again. This was the first Dr contact.
    But way too many parents expect and/or demand an A/B for a cold/flu, and far too many GPs give it to them
    I agree.
    ergo wrote: »
    but 9 days with fever in general in a kid would look less like simple virus and more like something else or a superimposed bacterial infection on top of a virus

Tis what my dr said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm getting vaccinated this afternoon!

France spend a load of money organising a vaccination campaign and for the first few weeks no one turned up. Then a few schools closed etc and now the clinics are jam packed!

My grandfather in law is a retired doctor and he will be vaccinating this week (they are using volunteers a lot).

I will be happy to be vaccinated.

Well i went yesterday afternoon and while there was big talk about big queues for vaccination over here, the centre was very quiet (only 300 people vaccinated in the whole day).

I feel grand, a wee bit swollen in my arm but much less painful than my tetanus vaccinations.

And as someone who hates needles, this was fine. A wee pinch and it was all over. Also they have the vaccination centre in the local football stadium and I got injected in one of the executive boxes overlooking the pitch, which was quite distracting.

Only need to get one shot, as they are using Pandemrix.

All in all I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sneachta patrol

Hi

Just wondering if anybody has experienced any adverse reaction to the pandemrix vaccine. Our 14 month old had the first dose of the vaccine last week and has been under the weather since, high temperature etc. Our local experts informed us the there have been no other reported cases of side effects to date. Any views would be appreciated.

Hi

Just wondering if anybody has experienced any adverse reaction to the pandemrix vaccine. Our 14 month old had the first dose of the vaccine last week and has been under the weather since, high temperature etc. Our local experts informed us the there have been no other reported cases of side effects to date. Any views would be appreciated.

just to quote from a section of the HSE website http://www.swineflu.ie
    What can I expect after vaccination?
    The most common side effects being seen are mild and may include soreness, redness or swelling where the injection was given. Headache, fever, aches and tiredness may occur. Some people may have mild sweating and shivering as their immune system responds to the vaccine, but this is not Swine Flu and will pass after a day or so. Severe or life threatening allergic reactions to vaccines are very rare.

What if I don't feel well after vaccination?
    Take paracetamol or ibuprofen if you have a fever or any pain where the injection was given. If you are pregnant, take paracetamol for fever, not ibuprofen or aspirin. Avoid clothes rubbing against the injection area and drink plenty of fluids. Remember if you or a child is unwell after getting a vaccine, they could be sick for some other reason – don’t assume it’s the flu vaccine and take medical advice if needed.

myself, got the vaccine yesterday, didn't feel quite 100% today - tiredness and a bit achey - feeling better now

as the second part of that HSE advice says "Remember if you or a child is unwell after getting a vaccine, they could be sick for some other reason – don’t assume it’s the flu vaccine and take medical advice if needed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Angbear

Hi everyone.

This is my first time posting on this site; I just have a question and wonder does anyone know the answer.

I got the Celvapan vaccine and was told I have to get 2 doses. Apparently though, Baxter were doing clinical trials in October 09 to see whether one dose gives sufficient immunity. Does anyone know if those results have been published? I cannot seem to find any results yet. Am hoping that one dose will be sufficient.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Vaccination

Well Lads and Ladies,
    I got the vaccination yesterday, I was bringing my son for his first jab and the nurse said I might as well have it done myself while I'm there... She must've really hated me!
    My arm became so sore yesterday eve, and kept waking me up all night. Now today I feel like I've been hit by a bus, not fluey (The virus they inject has already been killed), but so so achey all over. Arm killing me, even my legs are killing me! I could actually put my head down on my desk and go asleep! Was talking to somebody at lunchtime who said her sister got it and was the same, for about 4 DAYS!

I think I should've politely declined the jab. My son is fine, not sore at injection point and full of beans, and my daughter is getting hers in school soon, same as the little lad, 2 doses.. maybe the kids dose split in 2 is less of a shock to the system than full whack at one time..
    Anyway, if you are getting it, make sure you dont have a hectic schedule in the day or 2 after..
    Really cant wait to get home and pass out!

End Of Rant!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,090 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I got my 2nd shot at the HSE clinic this afternoon. Booked it online a week ago.
    No waiting, no fuss.
    I would encourage anyone due an extra shot (Celvapan) to book and go get it!
    Obviously you have to wait 3 weeks from your first one..

Got first Celvapan injection three weeks ago and was told I would be contacted about the second shot but heard nothing... so I guess I have to follow it up myself

Side effects... Had the sore arm for 12 hours or so, I'd say 48 hours after the shot I started to feel pretty knocked out, like flu, but that passed after half a day in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Got mine done in Bray Health Centre this evening. Was in and out in 30 minutes depsite the madness, the staff were very organised and professional . There were little kids running around everywhere, it was quite a lively spot.
    They are giving the Pandemrix and even though the form says there should be two shots they said actually the current advice is only one for most people.

So the form the had said i had a 5m shot, it was only a tiny pinch and theres barely any mark on my arm, its tiny, maybe it will get sore later?, got the shot about three hours ago. I feel totally fine, maybe my arm will be sore tomorrow and will have some symptoms? I half suspect i had the swine flu already so maybe that's why i seem to be having no noticeable reaction to it so far.

All in all, its 30 minutes of my life to prevent a potentially life threatening illness (I have asthma) and the total cost was the 2 euro I paid for parking. For once my taxes are being put to good use!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

I can't comment on the sensitivity of the rapid test, but even the full-fat RT-PCR test used for hospitalised patients has issues with sensitivity. I remember our chief virologist saying it gave something like a 20% false negative rate.

• Advertisement

that article re false negatives pertains to the rapid test and not the lab-based test

correct me if I am wrong but in Ireland aren't all the tests for swine flu carried out in the National Virus reference lab in UCD? - I do not have figures for their false negatives etc

most recent results suggest that about 43% of patients with influenza like illness who were swabbed came back as having swine flu

this might not sound like much but I think in previous outbreaks of suspected seasonal flu the positivity rates ran much lower around 20%

(Ps: and now I have the shame of having www.modernmom.com in my browser history :eek: *goes to clear history*)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 summer21

Got first Celvapan injection three weeks ago and was told I would be contacted about the second shot but heard nothing... so I guess I have to follow it up myself

I went back for my 2nd one friday four weeks after my first, without getting a call from them.
    When i arrived they asked if i had been called but gave it anyway even though i had not.
    So yes they are calling people back for 2nd but will do it anyway if you just turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Are we actually being advised to get a follow up celvapan shot? I had mine on Nov 6th and was told the HSE was still deciding if we needed the secon shot, and if so it must be within 3 weeks, and I would be contacted.

So over 4 weeks later and no contact, I was under the assuption that it's just the one shot needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Doc just told me I have the 'swine'!

Started last Weds evening - chest really tight. Felt like someone was sitting on my chest. Thurs in work, felt really bad in about an hour/two hours. This was the train hitting me! Went home after lunch, pains all over, shivering and reallly really tired. Took some Nurofen plus about 6pm - felt 80% better, nearly normal. Kept on the Nurofen plus, felt AWFUL when it wore off. Yesterday morning - my breathing woke me up. Sounded like the teeth of a comb being 'plucked' everytime I took a breath. Was going to work this morning, went to the doc on my way to pick up a sick note. He took my temp and pulse. Both were elevated and I was coughing like I've never coughed before. So he's put me on Tamiflu - I started it when I got home.

I'm not 100% convinced I have it tbh. I had to tell work as they have to inform Health & Safety. I just hope it IS swine flu, as I don't want the situation where I do get it and I tell work I have it AGAIN??!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got the vaccination unexpectedly last night. I never intended to get it, but a family member is a GP and had some left at the end of the day that needed to be used. Got it at about 7pm, by 10pm my arm was sore. Got worse through the night and has been killing me all day. Also I've been feeling thoroughly rotten today - lost appetite and nausea mainly. I'm not a happy bunny!

Sorry, didn't realise that counted as medical advice if I'm not actually sick :S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Angbear wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

This is my first time posting on this site; I just have a question and wonder does anyone know the answer.

I got the Celvapan vaccine and was told I have to get 2 doses. Apparently though, Baxter were doing clinical trials in October 09 to see whether one dose gives sufficient immunity. Does anyone know if those results have been published? I cannot seem to find any results yet. Am hoping that one dose will be sufficient.

Thanks

Was wondering about this too? Are the HSE even calling back the "At risk" group for a second shot of Celvapan?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I cant understand people not getting it, I had the flu proper once, and jebus it was fúckin horrible with the shivering, the delrium, the puking stomach cramps, the puking on an empty stomach..did i mention the puking, the wheezing, the sweats, the omfg will i EVAR feel normal egain feeling..look at that that armless legless deaf blind person on tv the lucky barsteward they dont have the flu feeling!!

A couple of days with a sore arm and feeling a bit lethargic versus that..no brainer!!, especially its free and takes 30 mins tops from in to out of there, at least the Bray one was.

Why people dont avail; of this and take the chance to be totally utterally miserable for a week or two over a little sore arm and feeling tired for a day or two is beyond me.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 PatHawkins

Supercell wrote: »
    I cant understand people not getting it, I had the flu proper once, and jebus it was fúckin horrible with the shivering, the delrium, the puking stomach cramps, the puking on an empty stomach..did i mention the puking, the wheezing, the sweats, the omfg will i EVAR feel normal egain feeling..look at that that armless legless deaf blind person on tv the lucky barsteward they dont have the flu feeling!!

A couple of days with a sore arm and feeling a bit lethargic versus that..no brainer!!, especially its free and takes 30 mins tops from in to out of there, at least the Bray one was.

Why people dont avail; of this and take the chance to be totally utterally miserable for a week or two over a little sore arm and feeling tired for a day or two is beyond me.

Just you worry about yourself, let other people make up their own minds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Stoffa

Raiser wrote: »
    Was wondering about this too? Are the HSE even calling back the "At risk" group for a second shot of Celvapan?

My wife, pregnant and diabetic and 2 year old son asthmatic both got Celvapan dose on day 1 of it being available (6 weeks ago this coming Monday).

My wife was called back about 2 weeks ago for the booster.

My son however was not. I telephoned Ballymun Health Centre and was advised we would be phoned/written to if/when he required the booster.

However, as it had been nearly 6 weeks I was not satisfied with such a vague response. I telephoned the HSE help number 1850 241 850 and explained the situation and she advised me to go to the Health Centre and get him boosted!

I duly went to Ballymun but was turned away. I was advised by someone in charge(?) that the World Health Organisation had given clinics fresh advice that only peole with specific conditions eg pregnancy and CF are needing the booster. Others for now or not.

She could not give me any further info than that!

So now I wonder is the booster safe? Should my wife have got it?

Furthermore why are HSE HQ saying go get but Ballymun Clinic saying NO.

In follow up I spoke to a nurse who I know who works in a different clinic in Dublin and she tells me they are giving out the booster jab to all who had the initial jab 3+ weeks before.

So I am really confused. To boost or not to boost. That is the question.

And why or why are the HSE not all singing from the same hymn sheet?!?

Advertisement