Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

gailgo wrote: »
    thats not really the issue its would i get a allowence while i am in training ,see i built a house and i have a morgage on my own and would the allowence cover that

Yeah you get an allowance after 208 hours done every year. Don't think the allowance is anything to shout about, basically covers the cost of petrol/diesel going to training and the station and a small bit more. It's more a thank you gesture.

Training is accommodating, 2 weekends and a couple of evenings.

No, you can't go straight to the full time from the reserve. Have to apply from scratch like every1 else.

Helps for the interview tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭gailgo

thats not so bad at all when do you start full time

gailgo wrote: »
    thats not so bad at all when do you start full time

Start in May. Have two years done with the reserves, recommend it to any1 considering joining the full time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Start in May. Have two years done with the reserves, recommend it to any1 considering joining the full time

Can I ask you when you first started your training as reserve - what was the one aspect of the work that just seemed to take you by surprise? Do you have much paperwork, in general?

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Can I ask you when you first started your training as reserve - what was the one aspect of the work that just seemed to take you by surprise? Do you have much paperwork, in general?

What a hard job the guys and gals have in AGS! Don't worry about the sigma that surrounds the reserves, once you come in as a individual and pull your weight and just be part of a team.
    Like it's no holiday camp you are signing on for, you are going to see things that will probably make you wish you never signed up, but there is great support there.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭gailgo

What a hard job the guys and gals have in AGS! Don't worry about the sigma that surrounds the reserves, once you come in as a individual and pull your weight and just be part of a team.
    Like it's no holiday camp you are signing on for, you are going to see things that will probably make you wish you never signed up, but there is great support there.

how do thw full time garda treat you do they be little you , do you get to go out and about much or do they put you in the office all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Oh you know what I'm just going to focus on my preparations for my medical ... still have a wait ahead of me! Who knows, I could even be living in Limerick before I even finish my reserve application :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

kerry4sam wrote: »
    My main worry was that they'll send me down to Cahersiveen :eek: I've nothing against the town or anything just way out of the way for me!

but could you get Killarney though if from Listowel ... it would take over an hour to get there and I thought you'd be stationed within 30mins from home-base?

don't quote me on this but, tralee is the main station in Kerry, thats where the Chief Superintendent is. from what i read in the kerryman before christmas, reserves in kerry are based out off tralee, having said that, there isnt that many so thaty could be the reason. tralee would suite me, killarney is about 60 -70 minuite drive where tralee is 40 min drive. not pushed either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

A lot of the time the district hq is your local station (ie in kerry they would be Listowel, Tralee, Killarney and Cahersiveen.)

Normally reserves are placed in neighbouring districts. Like we'll say if from Listowel you might get Kilarney.
    Dont know about choosing stations, to be honest im not 100% with knowledge of the reserves, except with interacting with the ones attached to the station.

i am from the balbriggan HQ area and i was told that i wouldnt get this district for obvious reasons so i was wonderin where in north dublin are the reserves bein placed eg blymun, coolock, santry, or is swords still too close to home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 maguff

I might be going to Templemore on the September take-in.
    They told me that it will be for a Friday and Saturday.
    Do they provide overnight accomodation in Templemore ?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

to answer maguff question yes the college will give you accomdtion on the thursday night if your supposed to start training on friday and you will get accomidtion on the friday also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 maguff

da__flash wrote: »
    to answer maguff question yes the college will give you accomdtion on the thursday night if your supposed to start training on friday and you will get accomidtion on the friday also.

Thanks daflash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hondawest

Ya they do have over night rooms you can go in on the Thursday night and stay until Sat evening.

Hondawest wrote: »
    Ya they do have over night rooms you can go in on the Thursday night and stay until Sat evening.

ya they do just sign in at the gate and they ll direct you to your room:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi if u are staying in hotel La Gardai College there is a good pub across the road from the main gate, called pollys. good for a few;) pints. the only thing is use ur common sence, dont fall in pissed around 12.30 inside the collage the rooms are single beds with a sink. boys to one building girls to the other:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 renegadegav

maguff wrote: »
    I might be going to Templemore on the September take-in.
    They told me that it will be for a Friday and Saturday.
    Do they provide overnight accomodation in Templemore ?:rolleyes:

Only just saw your post now. You probably already heard, but just in case you have not we can stay on thursday and friday. By anychance are you heading from the west of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 renegadegav

Hi anyone here done there phase 3 test, if so how did you find it

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Hi anyone here done there phase 3 test, if so how did you find it

It's do-able once you have enough study time put into it.

It would also be important to anyone hoping to go full-time to do well in the legal studies exam, you get a letter out from the college with your percentage grade on it, if you can score high on this, I reckon it would be a nice piece of paper to be sliding across the desk in interviews further on down the line...It will prove that you have an aptitude for the legal side of the job at least.

People say the GR means nothing if you're going for the full time but I beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chippy12

just a quick comment .do garda reserves get an id card to id them selfs when off duty if there unlucky enough to be somewhere if a crime takes place??? i no full time members have id cards??? apart from that i think the garda reserve is a great idea it takes a good person to stand on the front line and not get payed for it garda reserves well done .im hopeing to go into to the feb 2010 intake just wateing on a call never seems too come tho. full time after that hopefully in time.

• Advertisement

chippy12 wrote: »
    just a quick comment .do garda reserves get an id card to id them selfs when off duty if there unlucky enough to be somewhere if a crime takes place??? i no full time members have id cards??? apart from that i think the garda reserve is a great idea it takes a good person to stand on the front line and not get payed for it garda reserves well done .im hopeing to go into to the feb 2010 intake just wateing on a call never seems too come tho. full time after that hopefully in time.

yeah, you get the same ID as the regulars except it will have the rank as Reserve Garda.

but off duty is off duty, I don't think the ID is to be carried around with you, it should be locked away somewhere safe, if a crime is taking place call 999.

thanks lehanemore are you a gr member yourself????

thanks lehanemore are you a gr member yourself????

yip.

no he just dresses up and pretends to be one :pac::pac:

da__flash wrote: »
    no he just dresses up and pretends to be one :pac::pac:

isn't that what it's all about?:D

hey there every one. Can anyone tell me what are the phase 3 exams are like for the G R are they very hard would you need a lot of study done???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mnbvcxzaq

You are required to do 208 hours in a year.

From the moment you go into templemore training the hours are being counted, this includes the 56 hours of lectures as well as the 40 hours practical work. I understand the 2 weekends you spend in templemore as part of the training count too.

I know on graduating you have effectively completely over 100 hours. Anyone know the exact number you have done once graduated?

You must then complete the remainder of the 208 hours - but before when, when is the year up, is it from when you first entered templemore for training on passing your medical?

I am a graduate and need to know how many hours i need to do to claim my €1000 and by when i have to have them done.

hey there every one. Can anyone tell me what are the phase 3 exams are like for the G R are they very hard would you need a lot of study done???

dont worry your head about them as long as you have attended all the law lectures you ll be fine :D

The count starts on day 1 in templemore, it's 138 hours between that and the legal studies, then a minimum of 40 hrs on phase 4, you can also add on the hours spent training on the ASP and OC spray.

The year is up 12 months from you're day 1 in T-more, HQ should have sent a form to your unit sergeant with your training hours on it and you then add on the hours you've done on the job.

• Advertisement

lehanemore wrote: »
    isn't that what it's all about?:D

no its all about the tea drinking:pac::cool:

Advertisement