Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

congrats to everybody who got the call..
    cant wait to get started its so frustrating waiting around :(
    has anybody heard of the new recommendations that have been put forward regarding the next full-time recruitment drive?
    full licnece.
    140 points in the leaving cert.
    able to swim.
    ecdl course.(European computer course).

just curious of peoples views.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

a question for current member of the garda reserve

how long was the duration between Phase 1 and graduation?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Scouser wrote: »
    a question for current member of the garda reserve

how long was the duration between Phase 1 and graduation?

For me it was Phase 1: Feb 09, Graduation: Nov 09

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Mine was three and a half months from intake to graduation. It depends on how available the commisioner and minister are for a graduation, and they some times can be postponed because of this. they also sometimes group classes together for graduation. on average its about 5 to 6 months between starting and graduating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tcd

Sorry this is a bit besides the point, i now know reserves can basically only arrest for offences over 5 years..so what happens in the case of someone assaulting you on duty? surely you must be able to arrest them? and are there no powers for public order??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

Have done tetra and pepper spray training.. still waiting for asp course.. sarge arranging it locally..
    anyway out on the beat in a busy city station last sat nite..
    when i signed in and i looked for a radio i was told that none available for reserves yet..looked for pepper spray and was told the same story..it was a very busy night with lots going on.. thankfully no incidents happened that required me to produce pepper spray or asp baton oh and as far as a radio i had to give my personsal mobile number to my collegue in case we got seperated..
    what a farce...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

trail man wrote: »
    Have done tetra and pepper spray training.. still waiting for asp course.. sarge arranging it locally..
    when i signed in and i looked for a radio i was told that none available for reserves yet..looked for pepper spray and was told the same story..it was a very busy night with lots going on.. thankfully no incidents happened that required me to produce pepper spray or asp baton oh and as far as a radio i had to give my personsal mobile number to my collegue in case we got seperated..
    what a farce...

the exact same out in my station. although i have wrote to district office and they are bringing it up with the CIG in charge of the reserves at our next meeting in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

what a farce...

I kinda LOL'd at your heading of this post.
    That is a fair bit of a disgrace, if the station is taking on reserves then they should have the equipment there to provide them with it.

When do you get your uniform?
    I'm heading up to Templemore on the 26th for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

if the station is taking on reserves then they should have the equipment there to provide them with it.

It doesn't work like that at all, be prepared to have your eyes opened and your preconceptions changed radically.

Whatever you do, don't go in thinking they should make allowances for you, when you see them using their own mobile phones, laptops, torches, batteries, gloves, sat-navs and even cars, just to do the job, you'll see where you fit in, in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

lehanemore wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that at all, be prepared to have your eyes opened and your preconceptions changed radically.

Whatever you do, don't go in thinking they should make allowances for you, when you see them using their own mobile phones, laptops, torches, batteries, gloves, sat-navs and even cars, just to do the job, you'll see where you fit in, in the grand scheme of things.

My expectations for this are so low that they're barely existant. I dont expect to be treated any different to a person off the street. I'm only going to be a reserve member and I realise that I just have to get on with things no matter what happens.
    I really have no preconceptions at all.

I was just saying that they should really have something as simple as pepper spray to provide for the reserves.
    I don't expect them to have it at all but y'know, they should

• Advertisement

couldnt agree more..of course reserves need just as much as regualr full time members essentials that protect from assualts and what not. but im sure later on they will get it.

in the case of the assualt i mean would a reserve have the power to arrest if someone came up to you on duty and get ya a punch or sometime along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

tcd wrote: »
    couldnt agree more..of course reserves need just as much as regualr full time members essentials that protect from assualts and what not. but im sure later on they will get it.

in the case of the assualt i mean would a reserve have the power to arrest if someone came up to you on duty and get ya a punch or sometime along those lines?

Your question was answered earlier today in the GR powers thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

tcd wrote: »

i ll be nice and give you a link and all :cool:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055809231&page=3

klong wrote: »
    Your question was answered earlier today in the GR powers thread.

sorry i get confused which thread im writing on!!Thanks for the link tho da_flash

unless they call out for your uniform. if you don't go into the station or if they don't hear from your for a number of months - they'll presume you're gonski, and will call out for your uniform.

what a farce...

was this your first night trail man? how did it go? what duties did you undertake?

can u carry an asp without doing the course? or are you leaving yourself open to hassle from the powers that be?

was this your first night trail man? how did it go? what duties did you undertake?

can u carry an asp without doing the course? or are you leaving yourself open to hassle from the powers that be?

cant carry an asp without doing the course is correct scouser..yes i would be wide open if i had an asp and didnt do the course..

cant carry an asp without doing the course is correct scouser..yes i would be wide open if i had an asp and didnt do the course..

your also wide open to being attacked without proper defence

were you equiped with a stab vest?

your also wide open to being attacked without proper defence

were you equiped with a stab vest?
    yes have a vest.. tg..would be mad to go out without it..

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

With all this discussion of stab vests, pepper spray, and asps, can I ask if anyone on here has been assaulted whilst on duty? How likely do you reckon it is to happen to any given garda over a period of, say, two years?

And finally, has anybody been told (by an official source) when the next intake is after the one at the end of this month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    With all this discussion of stab vests, pepper spray, and asps, can I ask if anyone on here has been assaulted whilst on duty? How likely do you reckon it is to happen to any given garda over a period of, say, two years?

Full timers approx twice a year for a good assault. If you take it in the fulliest sense of the word we get assaulted every weekend of nights with a push or a punch.

Full timers approx twice a year for a good assault. If you take it in the fulliest sense of the word we get assaulted every weekend of nights with a push or a punch.
    That seems very often indeed. Do you simply get used to it and thereby learn better how to (a) actually avoid/defend against the attack itself because you're more used to the typical lead-up to it, and/or (b) become more habituated to the trauma of being assaulted itself? Because most people would be pretty traumatised by being punched, kicked, etc. I knew (of course) that being a garda isn't the safest of occupations but that figure surprises me (not that I doubt it coming, as it does, from a full-timer). What can I say? Good on ya for doing the job. And good thing I have my health insurance sorted!

you are not allowed carry anything unless you have done full training for it. they don't just hand you rigid handcuffs or an ASP and say 'here you go'.
    you have to complete the training for it.

on another note for new reserves, who in long term are looking to join the force full time. bit of advice, the more you get into your role as a reserve (i myself have served summons' etc.) the more interested you get and quite possibly the more disinterested in your 9-5 mon-fri job you become.

Like, at the weekends you are running after c*nts trying to rob cars etc., then monday morning you're back to the drawing board in a boring desk job.... That happened myself, and i know it happened a few other reserves i know.

Seperate both, and best of luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Thanks for that one, I think she's coming back on Friday - Lets see what happens...McJ.:confused:
    ive had the same experience i wasnt home either but they said he would call back the next evening. He was really sound and explained it was just routine that my BR came through to his department and his job was to call out and just have a chat (basically to make sure your not a pycho :))he was literally here for five minutes.
    wouldnt worry about it atal but i'd imagine they will call back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

Thanks for that one, I think she's coming back on Friday - Lets see what happens...McJ.:confused:

Let us now how it goes you'll be grand :)
    just make sure you'v a small bit of cake and a pot of tea on the ready :)

Let us now how it goes you'll be grand :)
    just make sure you'v a small bit of cake and a pot of tea on the ready :)
    But canvassing will disqualify! Especially if it's tasty!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pure_mule

cake and tea??....too refined altogether, a plate of sphuds and cabbage should suffice quite nicely :) dont forget the red sauuuce!!

can anyone give me a more informed insight into the actual training?? as in how long it took for each phase, what were they like etc??

im going down the 26th (at last, thank god)

also at what stage do you get your uniform??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

pure_mule wrote: »
    cake and tea??....too refined altogether, a plate of sphuds and cabbage should suffice quite nicely :) dont forget the red sauuuce!!

can anyone give me a more informed insight into the actual training?? as in how long it took for each phase, what were they like etc??

Congrats, makes 4 of us!

Measured for uniform stage 1, wear uniform from stage 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

pure_mule wrote: »

right short over view... phase 1 weekend up there legal stuffs and intro all very easy going... phase 2 legal training in assigned training station in your area..n phase 3 back to the college for self defence and so on all fine and then phase 4 out on beat observin.. phase 5 graduate anymore question PM me..

• Advertisement

da__flash wrote: »
    right short over view... phase 1 weekend up there legal stuffs and intro all very easy going... phase 2 legal training in assigned training station in your area..n phase 3 back to the college for self defence and so on all fine and then phase 4 out on beat observin.. phase 5 graduate anymore question PM me..

they stated in the invites for the 26th that self defence will be on taught. have to bring sports gear etc.

cya down there pure mule!

Advertisement