Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

KIERAN61 wrote: »
    Dont wish to contadict you Freddiew but my understanding was that May 14 was the next date for attestation as it is a Thursday. I reckon the next intake is indeed April based on that.

Disregard just having a senior moment ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

KIERAN61 wrote: »
    Dont wish to contadict you Freddiew but my understanding was that May 14 was the next date for attestation as it is a Thursday. I reckon the next intake is indeed April based on that.

It is ?????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 40 THE PIPER

HI Folks,Whats the story in relation to being stationed away from your own home?is there a min or max distance reserves travel to work?Dont fancy being to near my own area for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

just an update the 18/19 April intake is now going ahead was told today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

Kieran61. Great to hear that the 14th May has been set for Graduation / attestation It is good news for those waiting around for this since last October. Please tell me it wont be postponed again.cool.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

do you need to bring anything with you when you turn up at the collage for the first days training, stuff like notepad, folder, pens etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

lehanemore wrote: »
    do you need to bring anything with you when you turn up at the collage for the first days training, stuff like notepad, folder, pens etc?

Yeah, Pen, A4 pad will be handy. And gym clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

anyone here from kerry join the reserves, just wondering where you do the interview and what station you are based in. :)

dkhill47 wrote: »
    anyone here from kerry join the reserves, just wondering where you do the interview and what station you are based in. :)

Last i heard, Kerry only have one reserve. Stationed in Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yeah I have heard the same as Murphy(Cork) posted above. Kerry doesn't seem to be the best in terms of having interested candidates for the Reserves.

Stage1 though, Interview & Report Writting will be held in Jurys Hotel, Western Road, Cork. Their board rooms are all located on the 1st floor - see here : http://www.doylecollection.com/locations/cork_hotels/jurys_cork_hotel.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Yeah I have heard the same as Murphy(Cork) posted above. Kerry doesn't seem to be the best in terms of having interested candidates for the Reserves.

Stage1 though, Interview & Report Writting will be held in Jurys Hotel, Western Road, Cork. Their board rooms are all located on the 1st floor - see here : http://www.doylecollection.com/locations/cork_hotels/jurys_cork_hotel.aspx

is that a good or bad thing, the fact that there is only one reserve?

I honest to God don't know. I spoke with a local sergeant who told me only one from my home-town had even applied before and was unsuccessful at stage1. We spoke on various factors concerning the reserves; he knows of my dedication and interest in applying for the full-time & he did say it would certainly benefit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

I wouldn't particularly worry about there been just one reserve, somebody has to be the first. That said ,I do know of one reserve in the South of the country who does find it lonely she been the only one in her station,if just from a comradeship pont of view.
    I believe they are to include a section within the application for the full time Garda to reflect time spent in the Reserve.The apptitude test will still have to be passed though so no short cuts there I'm afraid.

Well you are talking about County Kerry here :pac:

:D Tell me guys, when you done your interviews - were their many there in attendance on the day? were they from your own county or elsewhere?

No half measures for those boys eh it all or nothing:confused:

kerry4sam wrote: »
    :D Tell me guys, when you done your interviews - were their many there in attendance on the day? were they from your own county or elsewhere?

Believe it or not there were about 14 or so on the day I went for interview. And lo and behold I never saw one of them again.It certainly gives credence to the fact that only twenty in a thousand make it to the final hurdle.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Last i heard, Kerry only have one reserve. Stationed in Tralee

Do you know what the breakdown of numbers is in the Cork city area, I'd say there's a few in Anglessey St anyway but how many?

lehanemore wrote: »
    Do you know what the breakdown of numbers is in the Cork city area, I'd say there's a few in Anglessey St anyway but how many?

There's about 32-36 in Cork. Not sure of the break down, but we are evenly spread. All new reserves from Cork, spend phase 4 in Anglesea station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Silently loud

just wondering there is a rumour saying there is a graduation on the 14 of may for the reserves who started in august 08. has any one heard this??

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

just wondering there is a rumour saying there is a graduation on the 14 of may for the reserves who started in august 08. has any one heard this??

Thanks

Yep heard the same, look at my previous post...hope it does not change.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Nick85

Hi hope im not being Lazy asking this question, it may be back along so sorry in advance.

My question is, what kind of shifts do the reserves do and is it flexable? its the only thing holding me back i work 3 weeks a month 6 days a week so some weeks im off... and some im not even in my home county, do ye think this would rule me out?

Nick85 wrote: »
    Hi hope im not being Lazy asking this question, it may be back along so sorry in advance.

My question is, what kind of shifts do the reserves do and is it flexable? its the only thing holding me back i work 3 weeks a month 6 days a week so some weeks im off... and some im not even in my home county, do ye think this would rule me out?

The is one thing I have learned from the Reserves is that it is very flexible indeed.They will do their utmost to be as accomodating as possible as they realise that everybody's circumstances is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 THE PIPER

HI asked this question a few pages back,can anyone tell me whats the story with the station you get assigned to when your in.
    Is there a set distance that reserves travel for work?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

THE PIPER wrote: »
    HI asked this question a few pages back,can anyone tell me whats the story with the station you get assigned to when your in.
    Is there a set distance that reserves travel for work?:confused:

+1...I'd be interested to know the answer to this question too, well specifically in relation to DMR station assignment.

Presumably its not going to be your local station but is it any other station in your local stations distict or can it be any DMR station??

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Its an impossible question to answer definitively, but you can be sure you won't get your local station and also you won't have to travel too far. But 'too far' will vary a lot depending on where in the country you are.

Personally, I'm in phase 2 training at the moment, so I haven't been assigned a station. However, I live in DMR South and I've been told I could get any station in DMR South, South Central or East

If you are in one of the major cities you can be posted to your own station.Not all cities have more than one Station.You may be given the option if you feel uncomfortable with this but I know of some Reserves who are working from their local city station.The only stipulation is that you dont get to patrol your own neighbourhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

is it possible to pick where you want to work from or do you go to where they assign you i live outside Dublin but would like to work in the Dublin city center areas would this be possible :confused:

also is there anyone going to Templemore on the 18/19 April i will be heading down on the Friday evening you can pm me if you like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    also is there anyone going to Templemore on the 18/19 April i will be heading down on the Friday evening you can pm me if you like ;)

Yep I shall be heading down too :P :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

whats happening in templemore on the 18/19 april ??????

Advertisement