Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 russo

clayton1 wrote: »
    you are not allowed carry anything unless you have done full training for it. they don't just hand you rigid handcuffs or an ASP and say 'here you go'.
    you have to complete the training for it.

on another note for new reserves, who in long term are looking to join the force full time. bit of advice, the more you get into your role as a reserve (i myself have served summons' etc.) the more interested you get and quite possibly the more disinterested in your 9-5 mon-fri job you become.

Like, at the weekends you are running after c*nts trying to rob cars etc., then monday morning you're back to the drawing board in a boring desk job.... That happened myself, and i know it happened a few other reserves i know.

Seperate both, and best of luck !

Yeah when I finish the weekend of nites im on such a downer, its so headwreckin wish I was fulltime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    That seems very often indeed. Do you simply get used to it and thereby learn better how to (a) actually avoid/defend against the attack itself because you're more used to the typical lead-up to it, and/or (b) become more habituated to the trauma of being assaulted itself? Because most people would be pretty traumatised by being punched, kicked, etc. I knew (of course) that being a garda isn't the safest of occupations but that figure surprises me (not that I doubt it coming, as it does, from a full-timer). What can I say? Good on ya for doing the job. And good thing I have my health insurance sorted!

You learn that a summons on a later day is much easier than trying to arrest and charge someone built like a tank and filled with drink. The assaults aren't that bad it's the spitting and the blood that you have to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tcd

k_mac wrote: »
    You learn that a summons on a later day is much easier than trying to arrest and charge someone built like a tank and filled with drink. The assaults aren't that bad it's the spitting and the blood that you have to worry about.

Spitting?!Sounds nasty.. how often does that occur and what can you do to handle that situation considering the lack of power?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

tcd wrote: »
    Spitting?!Sounds nasty.. how often does that occur and what can you do to handle that situation considering the lack of power?
    usually the weekends are the worst.. Have noticed that the gougers can spot a weak link in the garda chain a mile away and lots of new garda reserves fit the bill on that score.. if you are lucky you will just get an earful of very agressive verbal abuse.. not so lucky you could get punched and spat at and sometimes the women can be worse then the men..
    after a few months you toughen up.. SOMEWHAT...:cool:...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tcd

trail man wrote: »
    usually the weekends are the worst.. Have noticed that the gougers can spot a weak link in the garda chain a mile away and lots of new garda reserves fit the bill on that score.. if you are lucky you will just get an earful of very agressive verbal abuse.. not so lucky you could get punched and spat at and sometimes the women can be worse then the men..
    after a few months you toughen up.. SOMEWHAT...:cool:...

women are worse that's surprising but i think they would do it because gurads generally let them off more than men..but when someone spits on you what does the full time member do? just a warning to go away or do they arrest because spitting is a lot worse than verbal abuse especially some of the diseases scum bags have :S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If someone spits on you I reckon they'd be goin to a cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

k_mac wrote: »
    If someone spits on you I reckon they'd be goin to a cell.
    correct.. but it happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

tcd wrote: »
    women are worse that's surprising but i think they would do it because gurads generally let them off more than men..but when someone spits on you what does the full time member do? just a warning to go away or do they arrest because spitting is a lot worse than verbal abuse especially some of the diseases scum bags have :S

First things first, get your HepB jabs before you start your crime-fighting career.

OC spray FTW:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Any last bits of advice for the ones doing it Wednesday?? Think I've covered everything for the interview but can't be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Just be your self, Chin up, Look them in the eyes and have fun...They dont bite!! Exam time is short - head down and write! Thants all...:cool:
    Any last bits of advice for the ones doing it Wednesday?? Think I've covered everything for the interview but can't be sure.

A RADICAL overhaul of training for new members of the force will put more gardai out on to the streets more quickly.
    The main aim of the training revamp is to provide young gardai with greater operational experience by spending more time allocated to garda stations than in the lecture halls of the Garda College in Templemore, Co Tipperary.
    A total of 94 new members of the Garda Reserve graduated yesterday. They included three Polish, two Latvians, one Lithuanian, one Chinese and one Italian. They bring the overall strength to 665, including 100 in training, and it is planned to recruit up to another 250 members this year.
    The head of the college, Chief Supt Jack Nolan, who acted as secretary to a training review group, said yesterday he hoped the changes would be implemented whenever a new recruitment campaign was approved by the Government.
    The programme for students and probationers will be restructured into three phases instead of the current five. The first phase, which involves initial training at the college, will be 32 weeks instead of the existing 58. At the end of this phase, the successful students become attested, which means they become members of the force with full policing powers. They will then be deployed in garda stations and become involved in operational work, under the supervision of newly assigned field training tutors.
    This 65-week phase will be followed by a seven weeks of exam preparation, exams and assessments. Chief Supt Nolan said the overall training would not be reduced from two years but would focus more on policing rather than classrooms. The revamped programme will contain greater emphasis on training in firearms, driving, swimming and psychological assessments, with new facilities including a mock urban structure to be developed at Dromard House in Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BBgun

Hi all,I've just registered but have been reading for a while,very useful info available here!So I'm starting training this friday(26th) but am traveling down thursday eveining to get a little settled,just wondering are there many of us going down thurs evening and if so are we able to o for 1 or 2 sociables,just to break the ice??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

BBgun wrote: »
    Hi all,I've just registered but have been reading for a while,very useful info available here!So I'm starting training this friday(26th) but am traveling down thursday eveining to get a little settled,just wondering are there many of us going down thurs evening and if so are we able to o for 1 or 2 sociables,just to break the ice??:)

There's now 5 of us from the site starting this week. PM Scouser or SarahStarr (or however she spells it), they're both going down on Thursday AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

yeah theres quite a few of us headin dwn for the 26th, some of whom will be there thursday night, myself being one of them!

what part of the world are u heading down from?

Scouser wrote: »
    yeah theres quite a few of us headin dwn for the 26th, some of whom will be there thursday night, myself being one of them!

what part of the world are u heading down from?

Thats grand,think it would be better to go down thurs nite if possible!I heard they were trying to get a full class of 42 down,she said they had 38 but that was last week.I'm heading down from Meath area,what bout anyone else?

Pints are Ok before the first day but keep it to a moderate amount.

Pints are not advisable before the second day as that's when the PSD starts and you'll be cursing Pollys with each pound of sweat you're leaving on the mats:p

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything and let ye learn the hard way, like I did:D

lehanemore wrote: »

Pints are not advisable before the second day as that's when the PSD starts and you'll be cursing Pollys with each pound of sweat you're leaving on the mats:p

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything and let ye learn the hard way, like I did:D

wise words of wisdom!

reminds me of DF recruit training..............

Wise words indeed!thanks for the heads up,at least I learned the easy way.Maybe I'll just to a couple of shandys so!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

i believe reserve training starts friday mornings now.. That must be new? it was saturday morning start when i did mine.

Enjoy the pints in polly's, don't mind your man - have loads :D

• Advertisement

clayton1 wrote: »
    i believe reserve training starts friday mornings now.. That must be new? it was saturday morning start when i did mine.

Enjoy the pints in polly's, don't mind your man - have loads :D

the bean counters couldnt have sunday overtime now could they..........

any advice for those heading down this weekend? dos and do nots? shoulds and should nots!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sincere best of luck to everyone heading to Templemore this week, well done on reaching this far. I hope you all find it stimulating, exciting but above all, a healthy challenge :)

any advice for those heading down this weekend? dos and do nots? shoulds and should nots!?

Bring a biro, notebook, bottled water, small rucksack/gear bag, money for drink, tracksuit, runners, sence of humour.

You might be going barefoot so make sure toes are not manky, and/or a good pair of socks for PE type stuff.

There are v€nding machines for soft drinks and bottled water but I went for sneaky re-fills from the cooler in the canteen:D

The deserts are well hidden but keep your eyes open and you'll find them, if you don't then you've no business on the programme because scoring free grub is one important skill that will stand to you out in the station:P

Develope a liking for ginger/concrete biscuits and tae and gravy.

Spend time making sure your uniform fits perfectly, don't compromise, you'll have to spend hours in it, you might even have to run. Allow room for expansion.

Don't fcuk around and give the rest of us a bad rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 fergal23

Hey, just registered but always reading the posts! Im heading down Thursday night too, so thats about 5 now from here. Looking forward to it.

fergal23 wrote: »
    Hey, just registered but always reading the posts! Im heading down Thursday night too, so thats about 5 now from here. Looking forward to it.

that makes myself, pure mule, klong, sarah starr. bb gun and urself. where in the world are ya headin from?

also, cheers for the advice lehanemore! anytin else, im all ears!

Bring a biro, notebook, bottled water, small rucksack/gear bag, money for drink, tracksuit, runners, sence of humour.

Good advice there,have to wash my feet so!lol!Its like the first day of school all over again!:confused:

Well done guys and lassies who are on route to Templemore this week... Good job..Keep us all informed ! Great news...:D

Well done guys and lassies who are on route to Templemore this week... Good job..Keep us all informed ! Great news...:D

a fantastic weekend!

phase 1 was highly enjoyable and the college staff are great.

the lectures are fairly intense with loads of info being thrown at ya left right and centre but everything is relevant and the lecturers are great

self defence is brilliant! so simple and so practical. if your worrying about fitness, do some work on it. it will help. you will be putting your body into positions its not used to so the fitter you are, the better you can handle it

The college itself is immaculatly kept and is a hive of acitivity between students, reserves and various other ongoing courses. great atmosphere about the place and a great learning environment!

If i may address the issue of 'regulars v reserves' briefly. never once did I sense an 'Us' and 'Them' air about the place. Every SGT or Garda that we spoke to welcomed us to the college and to the garda siochana. we were told that alot of gardai were sceptical of the whole reserve concept from the outset but attitudes towards the reserves have changed in a short period of time and they are now viewed as a valuable resource within the gardai.

That attitude changed due to the outstanding work and dedication of the current reserves and I would like to congratulate them on that fact and sincerley thank them aswell.

so phase 2 is looming and I cant wait to get stuck in!

also, the pints in Pollys are delicious! and its the perfect venue to meet and mingle with your new colleagues. just dnt over do it, when your on the mats in an armlock, youll thank me!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Sounds great. Thanks for the overview and it's good to hear what you say about the staff and full-timers there. Looking forward to heading there myself if I can get in with the next batch.
    a fantastic weekend!

phase 1 was highly enjoyable and the college staff are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

a fantastic weekend!

If i may address the issue of 'regulars v reserves' briefly. never once did I sense an 'Us' and 'Them' air about the place.

yeah, wait til you get into your station. Different ball game then

Advertisement