Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

The time frame of a year and half sounds right - myself had a smooth passage only waited 3 months - But the majority of people waiting for GR waits up to 2 years - You asked why only 20 out of 1000 are successful - well according to the statics - most, that is 75% are eliminated or eliminate themselfs at 1st interview / written test stage - and only a small number are eliminated because of some backround check problem - and a little higher then are eliminated at medical stage. The medical is the same except for the timed physical test for the regulars. Good luck -

Thanks for the info munster

wish i was in your shoes with just waiting 3 months my local station is in the city centre and they lost my file i dont no how many times

understandble with how busy they can be

As far as i no its up to the commisoner to give me the all clear and then i will go for my medical any idea how long a file can be held up by the commisoner?? hope i havent got long left to go

anyways thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Thanks for the info munster

wish i was in your shoes with just waiting 3 months my local station is in the city centre and they lost my file i dont no how many times

understandble with how busy they can be

As far as i no its up to the commisoner to give me the all clear and then i will go for my medical any idea how long a file can be held up by the commisoner?? hope i havent got long left to go

anyways thanks again

Like Munster 4568 I too was one of the lucky ones who only had to wait three months from the time of interview to initial intake into Templemore.When you say you are waiting for approval from the Commissioner does that mean that did not meet the educational requirements? On that score I would not overly worry as I know quiet a few in that boat who made it in.I know it can be a long drag for some but hey it is all worth it in the end.I for one am glad I joined.

Like Munster 4568 I too was one of the lucky ones who only had to wait three months from the time of interview to initial intake into Templemore.When you say you are waiting for approval from the Commissioner does that mean that did not meet the educational requirements? On that score I would not overly worry as I know quiet a few in that boat who made it in.I know it can be a long drag for some but hey it is all worth it in the end.I for one am glad I joined.

Yes i did not meet them

But as of know i am currently studying criminolgy in college and plan to progress onto ucd next september to do Social Policy.I also do community work so hopefuly that will stand for me when the commisoner looks at my file.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Hi just wondering is anybody else heading to templemore this weekend? :)

Yes, I'm going down tomorrow morning...looking forward to it.

Hope it goes well for everyone over the weekend

best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

How did u all get on in Templemore ?

How did u all get on in Templemore ?

It was good fun, but tough. I'm still feeling feeling some pain from those self-defence classes...:(

Will have to improve the fitness levels in advance of Phase 3

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

stiofanD wrote: »
    It was good fun, but tough. I'm still feeling feeling some pain from those self-defence classes...:(

Will have to improve the fitness levels in advance of Phase 3

Hi Stiofan,

would you want to work on fitness levels in terms of being able to sprint/run or is it more push/pull and upper body stuff?

I'm starting in april.

lehanemore wrote: »
    Hi Stiofan,

would you want to work on fitness levels in terms of being able to sprint/run or is it more push/pull and upper body stuff?

I'm starting in april.
    No there is no running involved alot of what you will be doing in Phase 1 is an introduction to phase 3 which will be tested.As stated previously it is all self defence techniques whereby you will be doing lots of falling and bringing assaliants down etc. It is all good fun and it will give you a good indication of how fit or otherwise you need to be for Phase 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

First phase of self defence is easy, second much harder be aware of that.

• Advertisement

First phase of self defence is easy, second much harder be aware of that.

Thats what we were told all right, although exactly _how_ it is harder was not made clear. I'm assuming that there is just a lot more time spent doing it, so I'm going to do my best to improve my general fitness levels over the next few weeks and hope that will be good enough to prepare me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

Like Munster 4568 I too was one of the lucky ones who only had to wait three months.

Hey baton charge, get measured for the new uniform yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tashamc

Has anyone heard when the next grad is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DubNorth

tashamc wrote: »
    Has anyone heard when the next grad is?

I heard that the grad was being scheduled for 26 March but apparently it is now being scheduled for 23 April

A Thursday ? I assumed the graduation/attestation was always at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

stiofanD wrote: »
    A Thursday ? I assumed the graduation/attestation was always at the weekend

No its always on a Thursday and then Friday for your day of travel back to your station.

edit: sorry only realised this the Reserve thread. The above applies to full time members but dont know about Reserves though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

TheNog wrote: »
    No its always on a Thursday and then Friday for your day of travel back to your station.

edit: sorry only realised this the Reserve thread. The above applies to full time members but dont know about Reserves though.

The majority are on a Saturday with I believe with one exception which happened on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DubNorth

no as far as i know the next grad is on a thursday, thats wat HR said anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

TheNog wrote: »

No, all reserve graduation is done on thursday since it started. Something to do with having the college a bit full with students to give a hand with the organisation of the day.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

No, all reserve graduation is done on thursday since it started. Something to do with having the college a bit full with students to give a hand with the organisation of the day.:confused:

Yeah Thursdays only, think the first one was at a weekend and didn't work out so good. Ministers etc can't make weekends also :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah Thursdays only, think the first one was at a weekend and didn't work out so good. Ministers etc can't make weekends also :rolleyes:

Maybe it's Thursdays now but our intake and the previous one to ours were definitely Saturdays.I take your point though about availability of Ministers etc been the reason for the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Hi just wondering does anyone know what months in the year the reserves go for training, I know there was one in Feb is there a few more this year?
    Thanks...

I'd say there'll be at least 4 intakes this year or maybe 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Quick Question:

When you're being stationed as a Reserve Garda how do they determine where you will be stationed? Obviously you won't be stationed in your immediate locality but in terms of distance from your home, what factors do they consider when stationing a Reserve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Mun23 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering does anyone know what months in the year the reserves go for training, I know there was one in Feb is there a few more this year?
    Thanks...

There is another intake in April for the college 18th i think it is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ifaughthelaw

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Quick Question:

When you're being stationed as a Reserve Garda how do they determine where you will be stationed? Obviously you won't be stationed in your immediate locality but in terms of distance from your home, what factors do they consider when stationing a Reserve?
    you should be posted anything between 20 2 30k you can get moved if the station dosent suit you after you pass out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

you should be posted anything between 20 2 30k you can get moved if the station dosent suit you after you pass out.

that's great to hear...thank you

<hey! When you fought the law, who won? > :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

kerry4sam wrote: »
    that's great to hear...thank you

<hey! When you fought the law, who won? > :D

I am from Dundalk and was told that I will get either Drogheda or the new district HQ in Ardee which are about 30k spin.

Also on another point I have sent off my form and had my chat with the superintendent in Dundalk and still waiting for the medical. That was at the end of November....should I be hearing from them soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ifaughthelaw

I am from Dundalk and was told that I will get either Drogheda or the new district HQ in Ardee which are about 30k spin.

Also on another point I have sent off my form and had my chat with the superintendent in Dundalk and still waiting for the medical. That was at the end of November....should I be hearing from them soon?
    yes you should hear soon it took about the same for me ring garda reserve headquaters in the park if your worried,ardee might suit you it close enough from dundalk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

freddiew wrote: »
    Heard last night from Chief Super that it is May 14th

Dont wish to contadict you Freddiew but my understanding was that May 14 was the next date for attestation as it is a Thursday. I reckon the next intake is indeed April based on that.

Advertisement