Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

da__flash wrote: »
    no its all about the taay drinking:pac::cool:

fixed that for ya flash:P

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chippy12

thanks da flash. are you finished tempelmore yourself???if so how did you find it also how did the training work around your job????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Jack O'Neill

There is an R85 on the Portal for recording hours worked in a year which you request your Sergeant to sign on & off shift.

This is returned at the end of (your) year with your claim form (also on Portal) for the yearly allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

chippy12 wrote: »
    thanks da flash. are you finished tempelmore yourself???if so how did you find it also how did the training work around your job????

ya all finished training and graduated. found it grand now i have to say. . i m not in full time employment i m in college so its grand like but the lectures are usually held at the weekend. then if you have to go to the college on for training its usually on a fri and sat but employeers are pretty alright with letting i think from what i have heard from others. they are really flexiable for you they will try and please everybody so thats all good.

o yes and a few han sandich s aswell and we ll be really sucking disel ;) or thats what i hear about ye in the sticks ;):D:pac:

• Advertisement

all right flash . tell me when you graduated is a big deal made off it such as do family members come up and things like that???? also what sort of shifts do you do???hours??? have you been unlucky enough to get a shift christmas day???or are resserve hours done from week to week???

all right flash . tell me when you graduated is a big deal made off it such as do family members come up and things like that???? also what sort of shifts do you do???hours??? have you been unlucky enough to get a shift christmas day???or are resserve hours done from week to week???

Graduation is a grand day out lik your allowed bring two family members you go thru the whole process and then theres a meal after its grand.

shifts i personally rather lates and nites to be honest busier..i do them on weekends and stuff like that. 8 hours shift. . . Reserves hours are basically you tell your srg when your available to work and you get rostered for duty thats basically it..

thanks flash .so what part of the country you station im from cork myself so hopefuly i wont get to far from home.one more qustion for you have you made any arressts did u have to atend court yet ????? do many resevrves make arressts iv heard they tent not to due to the fact they could end up missing a day at work for court . its full timers that would step in and make the arrest and paper work and so on.i could be worng saying that so if im worng sorry im just going on hear say.

thanks flash .so what part of the country you station im from cork myself so hopefuly i wont get to far from home.one more qustion for you have you made any arressts did u have to atend court yet ????? do many resevrves make arressts iv heard they tent not to due to the fact they could end up missing a day at work for court . its full timers that would step in and make the arrest and paper work and so on.i could be worng saying that so if im worng sorry im just going on hear say.

cork myself dont worri you wont get sent to far from home but i would advise bein about 30 miles from home where no one knows your business and things like that..

no have not attend court..yet.... but expectin to...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

o yes and a few han sandich s aswell and we ll be really sucking disel ;)or thats what i hear about ye in the sticks ;):D:pac:

don't be forgettin us spud-gobblers and the smell of dung, tis far from the bright lights you were reared biy:P

• Advertisement

lehanemore wrote: »
    don't be forgettin us spud-gobblers and the smell of dung, tis far from the bright lights you were reared biy:P

a sure i cant forget ye out there at al.dont i get the smell of dung as i drive up towards the bright lights and glamour :D. sure dont ye call us out when ye cant fix something out there;):pac:

do you have a bit of say where you'd like to go??? iv a mate who lives just outside the city and he got stationed in cork city ???? i dont want the city as i go out in the city myself i wouldnt like to be bumping into people when im off if you no what i mean.i live in east cork myself not to far from city.

do you have a bit of say where you'd like to go??? iv a mate who lives just outside the city and he got stationed in cork city ???? i dont want the city as i go out in the city myself i wouldnt like to be bumping into people when im off if you no what i mean.i live in east cork myself not to far from city.

well you dont get a big say but you just say in training that you would prefer not to go to the city as for reason above and there should be no probs you know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mnbvcxzaq

lehanemore wrote: »
    The count starts on day 1 in templemore, it's 138 hours between that and the legal studies, then a minimum of 40 hrs on phase 4, you can also add on the hours spent training on the ASP and OC spray.

The year is up 12 months from you're day 1 in T-more, HQ should have sent a form to your unit sergeant with your training hours on it and you then add on the hours you've done on the job.

Thanks!
    But where did you get 138??

8+8=16(first weekend)
    56(lectures in your garda station)
    8+8=16(second templemore weekend)
    40(hours required on the beat)
    4(length of graduation)

=only 132 hours though??
    ASP and OC training are not part of the reserve training program, they're done seperate to the 5 stages, ie you can graduate without doing ASP and OC.
    Is it 138 hours with ASP and OC training or can you add the time spent doing these courses on top of the 138 hours you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

If you are unsure about anything you should talk to a superior. Not saying you'll get wrong info here, but.....

He's right about the 138 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mnbvcxzaq

If you are unsure about anything you should talk to a superior. Not saying you'll get wrong info here, but.....

He's right about the 138 hours.

I know, just sometimes you ask superiors and they dont know details like this and that and they have to go away and find out and sometimes never do.

Thanks for the info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Quick question there about the uniforms (particularly for anyone already done with training); following all the phases of training at Templemore - and after graduation - do reserve gardai wear those blue epaulettes or what? I was just thinking that this would mark them out from regular members quite a bit. Or are they just worn in training?

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Quick question there about the uniforms (particularly for anyone already done with training); following all the phases of training at Templemore - and after graduation - do reserve gardai wear those blue epaulettes or what? I was just thinking that this would mark them out from regular members quite a bit. Or are they just worn in training?

no when you have graduated you do not have to wear them they are only training epulates you get your ones once graduated which is the same as full time the only difference is gr is written in the same colour aswell as the other writing on the epulate if you follow....

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Thanks for that.

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

no hassles

• Advertisement

quick question when your out at a training station once you pass out is that the station you go back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi, I am fully attested about 1 1/2 yr s now, and love the GR, ayone know how long before you can take the year out, is is after 1 or 2 years ? funny how things change and spare time gets limited at different stages of life.:cool:

quick question when your out at a training station once you pass out is that the station you go back to.

not necessarily it depends what station need man power you could be based at one station for training and then when graduated you can be sent somewhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

Where are the law lectures usually held? Are they up in Templemore?
    And whats the physical training like?
    I have my medical next month so fingers crossed I get through that and onto the next stages.

I have my medical next month so fingers crossed I get through that and onto the next stages.

no they are held in your local training station close to your home...Physical training is fine if your anyway active you ll be fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

no they are held in your local training station close to your home...Physical training is fine if your anyway active you ll be fine...

Ah thats grand, I thought I would be up and down to templemore for a few weekends!!
    Whats involved in the physical training like. I'm active like but I'm not mental about it y'know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Law lectures are in your training station.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

invites to begin training.............. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tcd

Scouser wrote: »
    invites to begin training.............. :)

when did you start your application process online to public jobs? just trying to see how long it took to get to this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

tcd wrote: »
    when did you start your application process online to public jobs? just trying to see how long it took to get to this stage

i applied with pjobs.ie in jan of 09. exams and interview were in that february. br forms came early in the summer along with sgt and inspector interviews. there was quite a lull in activity until just before crimbo when i got a phone call from the sgt asking about a clerical error on my br form. i got the shout for medicals last month and training begins end of march

so its taken 15months! long wait but i believe it to be worth it

dont fret tho, a friend of mine was in templemore within 3month of applying so it is possible for it to move swiftly

Advertisement