Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

wetgarden wrote: »
    Just wondering, does anyone know what the story is with Garda Reserve training for the year ahead? With all the cutbacks and no further promotions or recruitment within the fulltime Garda, does this mean that recruitment for the reserve will be effected?

I know its voluntary but obviously personnel will have to be paid to train the Reserves so I'm wondering will Reserve recruitment be effected.

Any comments. Thanks :D

I'd be surprised if it didn't.. Hopefully the budget will tell alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Thanks for the information stifion

Ansered all my questions

thanks again

hope your application works out

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JJ22

Hi everyone,
    I'm only new but have read through most of this thread and have found it really helpful!thanks!I just have a question for anyone is who is currently serving in the GR, is there an average age of those that are out there?Is it generally older and more experienced people who are GRs?
    I'm 21 and I have been thinking of applying since the announcement of the moratorium on full time recruitment.
    Any answers/advice would be great!

JJ22 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm only new but have read through most of this thread and have found it really helpful!thanks!I just have a question for anyone is who is currently serving in the GR, is there an average age of those that are out there?Is it generally older and more experienced people who are GRs?
    I'm 21 and I have been thinking of applying since the announcement of the moratorium on full time recruitment.
    Any answers/advice would be great!

The average age is quite high, but there are loads in the early 20's also.
    I joined when I was 20.

The average age is quite high, but there are loads in the early 20's also.
    I joined when I was 20.

Thanks for the infomation. How have you found your experience in it so far? Did you have any specific reason for joining?
    I have two minds about it because I had my heart set on the full time but have to reassess the options?!Reserves definitely would be an invaluble experience:)but I think Im a little bit wary (don't know if that's the right word!) because they are still only recently established and don't know what to expect?!I've read up on all the information on the website etc but from talking to some people I've heard a couple of stories and opinions:confused:

• Advertisement

JJ22 wrote: »
    Thanks for the infomation. How have you found your experience in it so far? Did you have any specific reason for joining?
    I have two minds about it because I had my heart set on the full time but have to reassess the options?!Reserves definitely would be an invaluble experience:)but I think Im a little bit wary (don't know if that's the right word!) because they are still only recently established and don't know what to expect?!I've read up on all the information on the website etc but from talking to some people I've heard a couple of stories and opinions:confused:

Joined for the experience and to see was it for me, now starting with the full time in May.

It is what you make of it. Don't believe everything you hear or read

Joined for the experience and to see was it for me, now starting with the full time in May.

It is what you make of it. Don't believe everything you hear or read

You're one the lucky ones starting in may:)
    That's good advice, I suppose it's whatever effort I put in thats the important thing!
    Were you stationed near your home as a reserve?don't know if I'd like to be too close to home, hassle from mates and all that?!and were there other reserves serving with ya?I know in my local station, there is only one reserve on her one?!
    Sorry about all the questions!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

Hacknabush wrote: »
    New intake I believe,

Is this an intake for reserves? We are down the following weekedn for phase 3. A word of advice the self defence is hard on sunday!!!! Especially if you were out the night before!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

I have just applied for the reserve through Public Jobs, i got my confirmation email but i am wondering do i fill out the interview application form now aswell or do i wait to be contacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

jypo wrote: »
    I have just applied for the reserve through Public Jobs, i got my confirmation email but i am wondering do i fill out the interview application form now aswell or do i wait to be contacted?

hey jypo yeah after applying online you fill out the interview form and I e-mailed mine in to the address given. You then just wait to be contacted regarding the next time they will be holding interviews down your way - this timeframe differs with people from a month to 7months (usually no longer than that).

• Advertisement

jypo wrote: »
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    hey jypo yeah after applying online you fill out the interview form and I e-mailed mine in to the address given. You then just wait to be contacted regarding the next time they will be holding interviews down your way - this timeframe differs with people from a month to 7months (usually no longer than that).

Think the above post by me was a tad vague :o sorry. Yeah they will send you out a letter/or contact you via e-mail stating they will be holding interviews your way on x date...if you wish to continue with your application etc please fill out the form that's on the publicjobs website for the interview and e-mail it onto the address given which I think was:Garda.Reserve@publicjobs.ie (they have had 2addresses in the past year but they received my application form to that address). They then send you out another letter with your interview&report writting details & what they want you to bring with you on the day itself like originals & copies of birth cert, certs&qualifications received and that's it then until the day itself.

Hope this post is more helpful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Think the above post by me was a tad vague :o sorry. Yeah they will send you out a letter/or contact you via e-mail stating they will be holding interviews your way on x date...if you wish to continue with your application etc please fill out the form that's on the publicjobs website for the interview and e-mail it onto the address given which I think was:Garda.Reserve@publicjobs.ie (they have had 2addresses in the past year but they received my application form to that address). They then send you out another letter with your interview&report writting details & what they want you to bring with you on the day itself like originals & copies of birth cert, certs&qualifications received and that's it then until the day itself. Hope this post is more helpful :)
    Ah thats grand very helpful, thanks kerry4sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Nick85

When you say "after applying online you fill out the interview form".. i applied for the reserve through Public Jobs, i got my confirmation email, this was around 2 weeks ago... i havent heard anything since. do they email you the interview form? Sorry if im missing something from above

Nick85 wrote: »
    When you say "after applying online you fill out the interview form".. i applied for the reserve through Public Jobs, i got my confirmation email, this was around 2 weeks ago... i havent heard anything since. do they email you the interview form? Sorry if im missing something from above
    Think the above post by me was a tad vague :o sorry. Yeah they will send you out a letter/or contact you via e-mail stating they will be holding interviews your way on x date...if you wish to continue with your application etc please fill out the form that's on the publicjobs website for the interview and e-mail it onto the address given which I think was:Garda.Reserve@publicjobs.ie (they have had 2addresses in the past year but they received my application form to that address). They then send you out another letter with your interview&report writting details & what they want you to bring with you on the day itself like originals & copies of birth cert, certs & qualifications received and that's it then until the day itself...

the above post by me should be more helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭gailgo

hi i have just applied and i dont seem to be able to find the interview form i got a e mail back to say application was complete and i got a number confirming it so does any one know what i do next or do i just sit and wait

gailgo wrote: »
    hi i have just applied and i dont seem to be able to find the interview form i got a e mail back to say application was complete and i got a number confirming it so does any one know what i do next or do i just sit and wait

gailgo, hey! That's all you have to do for the time-being now. You will be contacted when interviews will be held in your area and if you want to proceed with your application or not. Until then it really is just kick back and wait to be contacted.

thanks kerry4sam i dont suppose you have any idea when the next lot of interviews in the munster region are i hope soon i am looking foward to it kicking off

thanks kerry4sam i dont suppose you have any idea when the next lot of interviews in the munster region are i hope soon i am looking foward to it kicking off

From what I gather, due to the recruitment ban in the public sector, there are hundreds of applications being received for the reserves at the moment.
    I say things will be getting underway shortly to avoid a bottle neck situation.

No problem gailgo ... Well they were last held down here in the Kerry/Cork area almost 3weeks ago now. As for when they will be held down here again all depends on the numbers of candidates that sign up down here. The numbers may increase now with this moratorium in full-time recruitment.

how did you find it i always wanted to join the full time force but i got tied up in work and that can you go on to join straight from the reserve i have commitments now a child and built a house would i be stationed away from home

• Advertisement

...i always wanted to join the full time force but i got tied up in work and that can you go on to join straight from the reserve i have commitments now a child and built a house would i be stationed away from home

Well from what I hear you would be stationed within 20-30mins drive from where you live so it seems very fair in that regard.

thats not really the issue its would i get a allowence while i am in training ,see i built a house and i have a morgage on my own and would the allowence cover that

how did you find it...

Well I only recently passed the interview and found the interview extremely relaxed & easy-going. Ah they were lovely, both the retired Superintendent and the lady from PAS.

The report-writting then - Their were only 7 of us there on the day I done mine and only 2 of us managed to complete the report writting. I would advise practising over & over before you go. The 2 of us done our full-time interview&report writting on the same day in Dublin last-year and neither of us passed it but felt that experience stood to us on the day for the reserves though.

thats not really the issue its would i get a allowence while i am in training ,see i built a house and i have a morgage on my own and would the allowence cover that

Well from what I know you only get to claim back expenses once you have 207 hours of reserve work done but can't get an allowance before then. Maybe Murphy(Cork) or another reserve could clarify this for me though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Just wondering if anyone would be able to answer this??
    If one of your parents is garda serg in your local district, would that affect where you would get assigned to as a reserve?
    I cant imagine you would end up in same station as them.....:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

well folks!

did my 2nd interview with the inspector in my local stn (kildare) 3 weeks ago!

he said im fine and that the medical would be next!

as of yet, have recieved no offical word of acceptance , or date for medical!

anyone else on a similar timeline?

or can anyone offer an opinion as to when i should expect word? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

It all works in diffrent way jack the ripper

Too the best of my knowlege the fella you had the interview with will pass on his recomdations Garda HR [ the people that handle your file]

And when all sercurity checks are done your complted file will be passed onto the commisoner who will give the final yes or no

After this you will be contacted about the medical

Hope this helps

could be diffrent for yourself

This is how my application took place

well folks!

did my 2nd interview with the inspector in my local stn (kildare) 3 weeks ago!

he said im fine and that the medical would be next!

as of yet, have recieved no offical word of acceptance , or date for medical!

anyone else on a similar timeline?

or can anyone offer an opinion as to when i should expect word? :confused:
    well all we guys are miles ahead of me,i applied on publicjobs.ie a few weeks ago and nothing back , known my luck i wont get even a interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

cheers for the replys, it does seem to vary significantly!

sooner rather than later im hoping, mad to get stuck in :D

gailgo you will it will just take a small while!

• Advertisement

cheers for the replys, it does seem to vary significantly!

sooner rather than later im hoping, mad to get stuck in :D

gailgo you will it will just take a small while!
    thanks for that jick,has anyone from the ennis/limerick area joined up,and where are ye stationed

Advertisement