Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

golfball37 wrote: »
    I love poch and what he has done, getting the best out of this current squad of average footballers but I do yearn for a bit of stardust. It's what draws most people to Tottenham in the first place, we'll certainly in my day anyway.

:confused: Average ????
    Lloris ? Toby ? Vertongen? Alli ? Dembele ? Kane ? ....
    Jeez your hard to please !
    And Id take silverware over 'Stardust' anyday.
    We didn't do too badly with the squad of average footballers last season did we ?
    2 or 3 bad games cost us a League title !!!
    TTID

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

The current squad may not have the 'stardust' quality of Bale and to a lesser extent Modric or VDV but Toby is well on his way to been in that category.

Of course as a CB he's never gonna to the attention or headlines of the aforementioned but he's in Ledley King territory in terms of quality.

Toby is well on his way to been in that category.

Of course as a CB he's never gonna to the attention or headlines of the aforementioned but he's in Ledley King territory in terms of quality.

We'll be doing well to keep hold of him. I could cope with losing any player, bar him.

Tottenham's Heung-min Son has won the Premier League Player of the Month award for September.

• Advertisement

The Times understand Toby Alderweireld has only suffered nerve bruising to his knee and is likely to recover quickly.

Fingers crossed.

Were on the box, tomorrow, Saturday and Tuesday.

A win tomorrow at Leverkusen would kick off things nicely. Currently sit mid table, lost at the weekend. I don't pretend to know much about them, few decent players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good new on Toby,might only miss one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭golfball37

greenspurs wrote: »
    :confused: Average ????
    Lloris ? Toby ? Vertongen? Alli ? Dembele ? Kane ? ....
    Jeez your hard to please !
    And Id take silverware over 'Stardust' anyday.
    We didn't do too badly with the squad of average footballers last season did we ?
    2 or 3 bad games cost us a League title !!!
    TTID

Yes average, particularly from midfield up- We didn't do badly is very subjective. The team of 2012 had much stiffer opponents and don't forget who won the league last year. Everything is relative.

When we have won silverware you might be onto something.

Nothing is going to convince me the standard in the EPL currently is good. We should be competing at the top level of it while the bigger clubs are in flux. Our 2012 team wouldn't struggle to break down West Brom or Crystal Palace. I take the point that they may well have struggled to keep them out at other end however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Our 2012 team wouldn't struggle to break down West Brom or Crystal Palace. I take the point that they may well have struggled to keep them out at other end however.

Looks like you've got the rose tinted glasses on.

I remember we frustratingly drew with Stoke, Sunderland, Wolves and Swansea that season.

We scraped through loads more matches by the odd wonder goal from Bale in the dying minutes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes average, particularly from midfield up- We didn't do badly is very subjective. The team of 2012 had much stiffer opponents and don't forget who won the league last year. Everything is relative.

When we have won silverware you might be onto something.

Nothing is going to convince me the standard in the EPL currently is good. We should be competing at the top level of it while the bigger clubs are in flux. Our 2012 team wouldn't struggle to break down West Brom or Crystal Palace. I take the point that they may well have struggled to keep them out at other end however.

Leicester won the league last year, and deservedly so after being quite unbeatable, trying to use that as a slight against the current standard is hugely flawed reasoning

• Advertisement

Leicester won the league last year, and deservedly so after being quite unbeatable, trying to use that as a slight against the current standard is hugely flawed reasoning

No it isn't- Leicester would not have been unbeatable against the quality of opposition in the EPL from a few years back.
    Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool were non entities last year unlike when Harry was our manager.

Looks like you've got the rose tinted glasses on.

I remember we frustratingly drew with Stoke, Sunderland, Wolves and Swansea that season.

We scraped through loads more matches by the odd wonder goal from Bale in the dying minutes.

That was 2013 under AVB. The team with Modric, VDV in 2011/12 was our best team. of course we dropped silly points but we played proper football and could mix it up. The lack of quality we have now means we play one way and fair play to Poch for getting the best of them but the attritional style only works when we score first against a bad team or everyone gives 100% against a good team. When we dip below the 100%, such as last Saturday its tough trying to watch us break through.

That was 2013 under AVB.

What was 2013 under AVB??

The lack of quality we have now means we play one way

We have far better quality now throughout the squad.

Just look at the defence from 2011/2012!!

Cudicini

Hutton - Kaboul - Gallas - Assou-Ekotto

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

No it isn't- Leicester would not have been unbeatable against the quality of opposition in the EPL from a few years back.
    Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool were non entities last year unlike when Harry was our manager.

So were you watching the football being played or just the results of Chelsea, man Utd and Liverpool?

And now our team is "tired" ....... FFS.

Sour-ness says it on TV3 and suddenly all the Facebook managers are saying that they are being overtrained and we are a tired team !!
    ... FCUK OFF will yee.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmEyZoMOmEzpnMX6NQv-0_gSjQjpfKkgXq23RLmYJRavvxNhpMNw

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmEyZoMOmEzpnMX6NQv-0_gSjQjpfKkgXq23RLmYJRavvxNhpMNw

Was that taken when he "played in a team that won everything, and they didn't train between games"
    ............... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

greenspurs wrote: »
    Was that taken when he "played in a team that won everything, and they didn't train between games"
    ............... :rolleyes:

while he was at Spurs ?

greendom wrote: »
    while he was at Spurs ?

nope... Shur he wasn't good enough for Spurs ... :D

Near identical hu'h?

39831FF600000578-3850704-image-a-34_1476867527799.jpg

Poch-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

• Advertisement

Mousa Sissoko has officially been charged by the FA for violent conduct after he elbowed Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter.

Fúcking gobshíte.

Mousa Sissoko has officially been charged by the FA for violent conduct after he elbowed Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter.

Fúcking gobshíte.

That's the only impact hes made so far ........... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Fúcking gobshíte.

Yeah that was nasty. Sissoko seems to have an attitude problem.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Easily could of lost that game with 10 minutes to go if the incident had been dealt with. Lamela would wanna get a grip on tackling, can't slide in for every ball. He was lucky as well.

Fair play to Arther. Stand up guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Easily could of lost that game with 10 minutes to go if the incident had been dealt with. Lamela would wanna get a grip on tackling, can't slide in for every ball. He was lucky as well.

Fair play to Arther. Stand up guy.

Lamela took a risk sliding in but I thought there was no way his second tackle merited a yellow.

Also, Arter could well have got a straight red himself earlier for his tackle on Wanyama.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Lamela took a risk sliding in but I thought there was no way his second tackle merited a yellow.

There would have been very little argument if he did get a yellow.

By sliding in like that he puts himself in a stupid position. Even though he got a tiny bit of his stud on the ball, he could have easily got a yellow.

It's the same ever game. He gives away stupid frees in stupid positions and gets stupid yellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

By sliding in like that he puts himself in a stupid position. Even though he got a tiny bit of his stud on the ball, he could have easily got a yellow.

It's the same ever game. He gives away stupid frees in stupid positions and gets stupid yellows.

He took a stupid risk and he probably will get himself sent off sometime. I just think it would have been very harsh in this particular instance.

I would take issue with describing Arter as a "stand up guy" though. He made a very bad tackle on Wanyama earlier and the incident where Sissoko should have been sent off arose when Arter tried to grab the ball although it was clearly a Spurs throw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

That's his first yellow this season, he had 4 this time last year

That's his first yellow this season, he had 4 this time last year

He's a very very lucky boy so.

He got another one in the CL this season and I remember him going in for stupid tackles after that one too. He's not blessed with brains.

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    I would take issue with describing Arter as a "stand up guy"

In reference to that remark, it was Arter's comment he made after the game.

"At times in the heat of the battle you react differently and now I feel happy with his apology and if he didn't mean it hopefully he doesn't get banned."

Advertisement