Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Chadli opens his account from the spot.

2 goals and 2 assists today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Chadli opens his account from the spot.

2 goals and 2 assists today.

I was considering him for my fantasy team, should have bought him

I was considering him for my fantasy team, should have bought him

In mine.

Capoue has been on a streak for Watford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Capoue has been on a streak for Watford.

https://twitter.com/BBCSporf/status/777474048708206593?s=09

• Advertisement

3-1.

Jose magic touch, not so magical.

To be fair to Pogba he's five games into his first real season in the Premier League. Capoue's been here much longer (3/4 seasons?).

Janssen scored a cracker tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sugarlumps wrote:
    Janssen scored a cracker tonight.

Toby scored a nice flick from a corner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Jansens goal ,some strike.
    https://streamable.com/gzwt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

tippspur wrote: »
    Jansens goal ,some strike.
    https://streamable.com/gzwt

Fine goal alright. :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

Toby scored a nice flick from a corner too.

An outstanding defender that is handy at getting the odd goal.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Wimmer got one too against wales! Goal machine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Someone asked a good question down the pub over the weekend. If both teams at their peak played say a best of three who do you think would win? 'Arry's xi or this xi?

It's easy to dissmiss it out of hand. But man for man in quite a few areas the former we're better IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

was just having a flick down through the table and realised we're the only team left in it without a loss recorded! this is madness, what a fantastic start from the boys especially after how last year ended!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

This squad, hands down. We don't concede goals and can out run most teams, for me they're not comparable.

On bale, his breakout season was under avb so it's a moot point which muddies the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Agree with Pleasant & Co.

This team is far significantly better.

There's no standout players in this team, we're unbeaten in the league because we are strong throughout the team. Whereas with Harry's team we depended on a couple of players to click for us to win a game. I don't know how many time Bale pulled a goal out of nothing for us to get a scrappy 2-1 win.

Sure look at the Spurs team that went and beat Inter Milan 3-1 in the WHL;

Cudicini

Hutton - Kaboul - Gallas - Assou-Ekotto

Lennon - Huddlestone - Modric - Bale

VDV

Crouch

Look how poor that back five is compared to our current back five.

Bale and Modric are probably the only two who would get into our current starting 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Patww79 wrote: »

Two players don't make a team.

Aguero and David Silva are in the "world class" bracket but we fairly hammered City last week.

Also, what denotes a "world class" tag - a large transfer fee? If so, we could demand £30m for Lloris, £40m for Alderwiereld and £60m for Harry Kane.

Cudicini, Gallas and Crouch weren't fit to tie the laces of any of the above.

The current Spurs team would win that match by three goals.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Harry's team would beat the current XI based on team spirit alone.

Those guys would have run through brick walls for Harry if he asked them too.

Personally I think the current side are more of a team. Arry's side had a few big names like Modric, Bale and Van der Vaart. I don't think the current team has galacticos like that. Lamela aside they're all solid pros and good characters without being spectacular.

Netherlands v France FIFA World Cup 2018 Qualifier

19:45 ITV4

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Agree with Pleasant & Co.

This team is far significantly better.

There's no standout players in this team, we're unbeaten in the league because we are strong throughout the team. Whereas with Harry's team we depended on a couple of players to click for us to win a game. I don't know how many time Bale pulled a goal out of nothing for us to get a scrappy 2-1 win.

Sure look at the Spurs team that went and beat Inter Milan 3-1 in the WHL;

Cudicini

Hutton - Kaboul - Gallas - Assou-Ekotto

Lennon - Huddlestone - Modric - Bale

VDV

Crouch

Look how poor that back five is compared to our current back five.

Bale and Modric are probably the only two who would get into our current starting 11.

That back 5 is absolutely shocking in all fairness. I'd have VDV, Modric and Bale over our current team however. I do think the backline stability would nudge it towards the current crop but what I wouldn't do to have Bale back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

No comparison between Harry's team and our current one. I agree this is a better team as in unit but technical wise they are streets behind. People have short memories, kaboul was outstanding for us at his peak.
    The point is we were never out of a game with Harry's team, it only took one piece of magic, the current lot run out of ideas when plan a doesn't work.
    The performance away at Stoke when Chris hoy screwed us was as good as I've seen Tottenham play and I've been a fan since early 80s. The team we had in late 2011 when on the run of consecutive wins was our greatest bunch.
    I love poch and what he has done, getting the best out of this current squad of average footballers but I do yearn for a bit of stardust. It's what draws most people to Tottenham in the first place, we'll certainly in my day anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

We currently do have something bordering on world class as a defensive unit & Harry Kane.
    I would pay big money to see that game but I think our older team concedes too much.

On a related note our current team is much younger and will only get better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Personally I think the current side are more of a team. Arry's side had a few big names like Modric, Bale and Van der Vaart. I don't think the current team has galacticos like that. Lamela aside they're all solid pros and good characters without being spectacular.

Bit harsh on Lamela I think. He makes the odd stupid tackle but the way he works for the team I would almost call him the ideal pro for younger players to look up to

Oh sorry I didn't mean it in a bad way. He's got a good attitude now alright but he's the closest player, in my opinion, to being a luxury or star player in the side. But like you said even then he puts in a shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ah i see it now. Yeah completely agree. He is the player that pundits jump on for being 'flashy' and not pochettinos 'type' but the reality is the complete opposite

Advertisement