Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion Alliance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

might i put in a suggestion, if it hasn't been done already, of Mariko Kurama AKA: Number 35 from Elfen Lied.

shes a young diclonius, a separate species that, while they look human, have small horns on their heads (they look a bit like cat ears), and they're also designed souly for the destruction of mankind. :eek:

She has 26 'arms' called 'vectors' which are invisible and have an approximate range of 11 meters (although the number goes up to 50 and the range is much further in the manga).
    They can pass through anything but they can also become solid. They vibrate at a frequency that allows them to cut through anything.
    Her much weaker sisters, who have only four vectors which are much shorter and not as strong, have no problem in ripping humans/door/stone statues/anything apart, using pens/other objects to use as bullets/projectiles to kill people out of range, stopping machine gun fire and they can even use their vectors to propel themselves through the air allowing them to 'fly'.
    ...and thats the weaker ones.

I would link a youtube vid but it is quite violent and there's a good bit of nudity. Also the only vids I could find are remixed to crappy songs ¬_¬

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfen_Lied

i just cant think of who to pair her with:confused:

EDIT: fug, i didnt see the other thread. sorry

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Above post moved from deadly to discussion thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,176 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im wondering if i should start an Internet Meme showdown at some point. Theres so many to choose from

http://knowyourmeme.com

Whould dramatic gopher beat robocop on a unicorn, or would manbearpig conduct a surprise assault? we have to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think there should be a battle located in The Eye of Terror
    The Eye of Terror is a massive rift where the Warp enters realspace.

Within the Eye, the laws of reality are no longer law; time flows at erratic rates, and matter and energy are indistinct. Horrible creatures fly through space along Warp currents, terrorizing any creature unfortunate enough to end up inside.

The close proximity to Chaos causes horrific, painful mutations in the manner befitting the Chaos god that represents closest what subjects hold in their hearts; the nihilistic Death Guard, for example, worships Nurgle, Chaos God of Decay, so they spontaneously generate warts, lesions, and degenerating diseases.

Close proximity to the Eye of Terror grants increased psychic potential beyond any other.

I would imagine a battle would have to take place on the outskirts as not to have things go too crazy (not to mention a section where there is oxygen for combatants to breathe).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I wanna see Chucky from Child's Play take on Stewie from Family Guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'll leave it up to you all, do you want to start the Semis immediately or would you all like time to think about the battles?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I would appreciate the time to consider the ramifications of the various pairings. I do have a question though: Where will they be fighting? Still random neutral ground or all in the same place?

I would appreciate the time to consider the ramifications of the various pairings. I do have a question though: Where will they be fighting? Still random neutral ground or all in the same place?

Random neutral ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Give me a day to prepare something?

Pter wrote: »
    Give me a day to prepare something?

Ya day is cool.

• Advertisement

I dont need a day

Superman is screwed basically

Is the final a 3 sided battle?

A three-way?

Yep

Hulk smash

Ideas for the next battle thread...

1) we have seperate leagues as discussed before.

2) We have a kind of consultation period before it starts for extra characters et al.

3) Who ever is running it (I don't want to assume LZ will) will randomly generate the battles and then ask who ever for their expertise in ensuring a fair fight.

4) We can add a crazy, whacked out league for bizarre things or one for mythological creatures...

5) we can be a bit stricter about re enforcing the "only discussing the curent battle" mod wise on the main thread and maintain a discussion one.

Thoughts?

A youtubed video of the random generation

Leagues based on powers, or codes (marvel, dc, lotr, transformers etc etc)

Pre assigned champions experts (similar to the draft fantasy picking in the soccer forum)

A fantasy draft team tourney (so each person, who registers their interest and intent to participate, gets to pick 4 or 5 characters and can do write ups on them, before users, and not characters, are pitted against each other). So for instance, Doom and i are drawn together, and i choose, oh i dont know, Superman from my team of Superman, Gandalf, and Megatron; while Doom chooses, i dunno, The Hulk from his team of The Hulk, the doctor and Optimus.

Or something like that. I think it would increase the discussion and reduce the reliance of the thread on getting 8 people to vote.

I wouldn't mind doing that. It'd be quite fun. :)

I want to be present in a lotto independent observer role. We could do it at the pub as well.

I want to be present in a lotto independent observer role. We could do it at the pub as well.

So basically, you just want to go to the pub again. :D

With reference to the above... I don't think you want to make it too difficult. Still same basic format, just a wee bit more input.

Well if you look at the soccer fantasy drafts, they are fairly simple in structure and there is still alot of discussion, but more detail is explored.

All of us have expertise of certain characters, this might be a good way of properly utilising that expertise imo

SDooM wrote: »
    1) we have seperate leagues as discussed before.

When you say league do you mean such as human, superhuman, monsters, robot, etc etc?
    2) We have a kind of consultation period before it starts for extra characters et al.

Fine by me. I think at this stage we've already lost a few posters due to the added "give a reason" rule and what we have now is a core group of people who know their stuff. So it would only make sense now to discuss the merits of characters who haven't appeared before now.
    3) Who ever is running it (I don't want to assume LZ will) will randomly generate the battles and then ask who ever for their expertise in ensuring a fair fight.

Oh I'll take part in the organising, but yourself and Pter have big plans, I would prefer to be a collaborator rather than the sole organiser.
    4) We can add a crazy, whacked out league for bizarre things or one for mythological creatures...

Hmmm....just once we can get a common agreement it's okay by me, we don't need to lose more people due to the feeling of exclusion (by not knowing who is who).
    5) we can be a bit stricter about re enforcing the "only discussing the curent battle" mod wise on the main thread and maintain a discussion one.

It's fine by me, I've been waiting for one of you mods to show your authority!:p

See that's what I mean by collaboration, I wouldn't know how to do that, but if someone wants to take responsibility for that side of things then I'm okay with it.
    Leagues based on powers, or codes (marvel, dc, lotr, transformers etc etc)

I'd say powers such as mere human, superheroes, monsters, robots, etc etc.
    Pre assigned champions experts (similar to the draft fantasy picking in the soccer forum)

I'm not familiar with that man, could you elaborate?
    A fantasy draft team tourney (so each person, who registers their interest and intent to participate, gets to pick 4 or 5 characters and can do write ups on them, before users, and not characters, are pitted against each other). So for instance, Doom and i are drawn together, and i choose, oh i dont know, Superman from my team of Superman, Gandalf, and Megatron; while Doom chooses, i dunno, The Hulk from his team of The Hulk, the doctor and Optimus.

We would need a decent amount of people to register and commit for that, I dare say more than our current voting population which stands at about 14.

As for the actual drafting it's a good idea just as long as we seed characters. I wouldn't want someone picking a team that is as strong as the avengers!:D
    Or something like that. I think it would increase the discussion and reduce the reliance of the thread on getting 8 people to vote.

How do you think we should decide who wins? A judging panel?

Heh, fine by me, but are you questioing LZ's honesty?:mad::pac:

• Advertisement

I'm not running it. I'll help out "expert" wise and moderator wise, but between work, college, and my responsibilities on boards I'm pushed as it is.

I already did one anyways. :)

Ill give it a shot maybe. Ill need to consult LZ and Doom about the running of it though.

Perhaps at a pub.....

SDooM wrote: »
    I'm not running it. I'll help out "expert" wise and moderator wise, but between work, college, and my responsibilities on boards I'm pushed as it is.

I already did one anyways. :)

One to LZ's massive three!:D No worries man, just once I can consult you then tis all good.
    Ill give it a shot maybe. Ill need to consult LZ and Doom about the running of it though.

Perhaps at a pub.....

Ya know I'm conflicted. I think this one, if we go down the fantasy draft route, will the best tournament yet and I want to be part of the running of that. On the other hand, god dammit I want to take part in the voting!:(

It'd be good to collaborate with you Pter on the next one because you know your stuff, but bare in mind the reason I've been able to do it is because I've had a lot of free time on my hands. Just a heads up as to what you are committing yourself to!:D:pac:

We can go 50/50 i dont mind. I figured it would take bucket loads to organise; and to be honest you have alot of experience in doing them. Figure both of us could tackle this one (which hopefully would be the biggest one yet) together.

An unholy Batman/Superman alliance

We can go 50/50 i dont mind. I figured it would take bucket loads to organise; and to be honest you have alot of experience in doing them. Figure both of us could tackle this one (which hopefully would be the biggest one yet) together.

Yup for sure, looking forward to "working" with ya man.:pac:
    An unholy Batman/Superman alliance

Deal's off!:mad:

:pac:

Right well im gonna write up a proposal of what i mean by the draft by this weekend. In the meantime ive some voting to be doing in this one :)

If there is sufficient interest, I was thinking of a 'Natural Monsters' tournament. Ie: Only creatures that have occured 'in nature'* ie: no genetically altered super beings or creatures with magic powers or advanced technology. I was also thinking of putting in a size cap, say 55 feet long and/or 30 feet tall.
    I need to think of some more contestants but I have some idea.
    Here's some preliminary candidates:
    T.rex
    Spinosaurus
    King Kong (Jackson version)
    Nessie (Loch Ness Terror version)
    Frankenfish
    Giant squid
    Collosal squid
    Jaws
    Megalodon
    Cave Troll (Lord of the Rings)
    Allosaurus
    Bigfoot and Yeti (they can be a tag team since they are only small)
    Triceratops
    Stegosaurus
    Anaconda
    Python
    Therizinosaurus
    (subjects may change)

*Obviously their sizes/strenghts can/will be somewhat exaggerated as per the media they are represented by.

Galvasean wrote: »
    If there is sufficient interest, I was thinking of a 'Natural Monsters' tournament. Ie: Only creatures that have occured 'in nature'* ie: no genetically altered super beings or creatures with magic powers or advanced technology. I was also thinking of putting in a size cap, say 55 feet long and/or 30 feet tall.
    I need to think of some more contestants but I have some idea.
    Here's some preliminary candidates:
    T.rex
    Spinosaurus
    King Kong (Jackson version)
    Nessie (Loch Ness Terror version)
    Frankenfish
    Giant squid
    Collosal squid
    Jaws
    Megalodon
    Cave Troll (Lord of the Rings)
    Allosaurus
    Bigfoot and Yeti (they can be a tag team since they are only small)
    Triceratops
    Stegosaurus
    Anaconda
    Python
    (subjects may change)

*Obviously their sizes/strenghts can/will be somewhat exaggerated as per the media they are represented by.

Hmm good idea, you can take the reigns on that one! One thing I would suggest though is that you really promote the tourament among people you know would be interested. The current tournament only has about 14 voters even though it is full of iconic characters in pop culture!

Interesting fact- Prime never had a straight up fight with Megatron in the Marvel comics after he was upgraded to PowerMaster as logically speaking he should have wiped the floor with him such was the power of his upgrade. However, He fought insano- Galvatron to a standstill (after he'd defeated pretty much all the Autobots and Decepticons) and that weird half Megatron/Ratchet hybrid.

• Advertisement

Yeah but Megatron MkII wiped the floor with him in teh G2 comic.

Or was he even a Powermaster in that anymore? He doesn't seem to be drawn as one, but I don't recall him ever being downgraded..

Advertisement