Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion Alliance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

SDooM wrote: »
    I guess the choice is do you want the in depth discussion (which is clearly keeping the masses from voting) or if you want a popularity contest in the next one.

The popularity contest isn't of much value anyway, the tournament ends quicker, that's it.

I think I'll reduce the votes required from eight to six next time, I have to talk to Pter about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Overheal wrote: »
    im not. im just wondering. what i was aiming for was a tight battle so i am trying to suss what the tightest one would have been.

Heck maybe i should have just left Iron Man to do it by himself then :pac:

How about a rematch where Iron Man and War Machine team up with Batman... and he gets to use THIS! :D
    tumblerlo.jpg

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    The popularity contest isn't of much value anyway, the tournament ends quicker, that's it.

Popularity is fickle. The Transformers are kicking ass and taking names right now partially because of the wave of hype that comes with their new movie, but if there wasn't a shiny new movie (that the Nocs are going to conveniently enough) they probably wouldn't be doing as well.
    Kind of like how the Joker beat Doomsday (somehow) off the back of The Dark Knight's popularity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I think I'll reduce the votes required from eight to six next time, I have to talk to Pter about it.
    Maybe throw around the idea of removing a vote quota and having the team with the most votes at the end of a set amount of time taking the win.
    If we didn't have to give reasons, I think arguably all three of the competitors in this final could have been knocked out due to them coming up against popular teams.

I tend to balance 'who I want to win' with 'who should win' to keep things varied keeping in mind inherent abilities and my own perceptions of the character. When I write my little spiels about the characters, I usually haven't decided my vote until the last few lines.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Popularity is fickle. The Transformers are kicking ass and taking names right now partially because of the wave of hype that comes with their new movie, but if there wasn't a shiny new movie (that the Nocs are going to conveniently enough) they probably wouldn't be doing as well.
    Kind of like how the Joker beat Doomsday (somehow) off the back of The Dark Knight's popularity.

Ah I don't know, there seems to be a core group of people around the Noc that are hardcore Transformer fans. I think anyone who has voted for them has voted because they genuinely know their **** (unfortunately:p)!

But I totally hear you on the Joker and Doomsday, that's another case of no-one knowing who the hell the "other guy" (Doomsday) was!
    Rhyme wrote: »
    Maybe throw around the idea of removing a vote quota and having the team with the most votes at the end of a set amount of time taking the win.

Good idea man, I think that would be the way to go at this stage.
    I tend to balance 'who I want to win' with 'who should win' to keep things varied keeping in mind inherent abilities and my own perceptions of the character. When I write my little spiels about the characters, I usually haven't decided my vote until the last few lines.

That's the way to do it man, I'd hate to think people were voting with just an idea of one side without not having an idea about the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The popularity thing is why I was so pushy in favour of the doctor.

i'd say bats would win in a fight 4 times out of 10 with the doc. It'd be close. But I would have hated if batdude walked it. Thankfully there was pter to make it a proper debate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,176 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Okay now I want to know: who wins between Predator and Batman?

Blame LZ's sig. Its been bugging me for ages now.

:)

I made the sig from a scan, I'd hate to spoil the ending (and subsequent sequels) but my money would be on Batman.

45 minutes away from crowning MegaPrime champions.

Game over. :)

So... whats happening next gentiles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I didn't vote in the final because I couldn't decide between the Cybertronians and Hulk. :(

Game over. :)

So... whats happening next gentiles?

As in?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Batman actually beat two Predators on seperate occasions in the comics

I won't pit Megatron against Optimus Prime, it defeats the purpose of their "Deadly Alliance". Megatron just gets in a cheap shot on Optimus and escapes.:p:pac:

I won't pit Megatron against Optimus Prime, it defeats the purpose of their "Deadly Alliance". Megatron just gets in a cheap shot on Optimus and escapes.:p:pac:

After a startling admission...
    Megatrong2idiot.jpg

Hey people, I feel Pter and I have a good opportunity in this thread to get feedback from posters in regards to what the next tournament should be like. All ideas welcome as this is about you, the Nocturnal posters, and you all getting as much enjoyment out of this as possible.:)

Historical figures duke it out.

Video game pro/antagonists beat the piss out of each other.

Movie pro/antagonists tear each other apart.

Celebrity stars from stage, screen and television pull hair and haul ass.

Historical figures duke it out.

Video game pro/antagonists beat the piss out of each other.

Movie pro/antagonists tear each other apart.

Hmmmm......if we go down the route that DooM wants, i.e. leagues, then that can be perfectly adaptable.
    Celebrity stars from stage, screen and television pull hair and haul ass.

This one would be up to the mods and whether they feel it would be within the remit of the forum.

I'd rather we keep it to the realm of fictional, tbh. Waaa too many can o' worms with alive people and not in the remit of the forum- Supposed to be spooky, remember (although we allow nerdy too).

• Advertisement

I'd rather we keep it to the realm of fictional, tbh. Waaa too many can o' worms with alive people and not in the remit of the forum- Supposed to be spooky, remember (although we allow nerdy too).

So would that cross out historical as well as celebrity?

So would that cross out historical as well as celebrity?

Depends how historical. I'm not going to put out Joan of Ark (who was basically an emo, anyway).

Steve Irwin? Maybe not.

No real people. Seriously bad can o' worms.

Depends how historical. I'm not going to put out Joan of Ark (who was basically an emo, anyway).

Steve Irwin? Maybe not.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    No real people. Seriously bad can o' worms.

Points taken.

I haven't spoken to Pter about it in a few days but we were leaning towards a fantasy draft. I know DooM is reluctant, but I just want to see what the general consensus is. It's either fantasy draft or leagues, it's up to yourselves. Bare in mind the fantasy draft would require more commitment, but it would certainly give you more control as to how your chosen characters fare in the tourament.

I'm not going to put out Joan of Ark (who was basically an emo, anyway).

Fan of Clone High?

Basically I think there should be leagues. I pointed out examples before. Fights chosen randomly. Perhaps a number of champions could fight at the end.

I guess the question would be how ou run the leagues...

We keep this thread open and make a rule that only current battle discussion goes on in the thread. I'll actively enforce and move posts between one and the other and keep it straight.

That'd be the DooMidea.

Basically I think there should be leagues. I pointed out examples before. Fights chosen randomly. Perhaps a number of champions could fight at the end.

I guess the question would be how ou run the leagues...

We keep this thread open and make a rule that only current battle discussion goes on in the thread. I'll actively enforce and move posts between one and the other and keep it straight.

That'd be the DooMidea.

What do ya mean?

Fan of Clone High?

Never even heard of it!
    What do ya mean?

I mean... do you do the leagues one by one? Or do you skip from one to the other?

Obviously if there's a draft, this is irrelivant.

Never even heard of it!

Ah, never mind. Joan of Arc is an emo in it *shrugs*

• Advertisement

I mean... do you do the leagues one by one? Or do you skip from one to the other?

Hmmmm, as I said it's a concensus we're looking for, what do you all think would be the best route?

Advertisement