Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion Alliance

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If you go down a draft route, who picks the drafts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Pter and I talked it over and we agreed that we wouldn't limit the pool of characters that you can draft from, other than disallowing huge forces such as Galactus.

You could pick 1 character each, anyone you'd like, from 5 seeded groups such as Robots, Super powered beings (either hero or villain), human heroes, Mystics and demons/vampires.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I had an idea for a funny division actually.
    Here's a few examples I came up with:
    Chucky(Child's Play)vs. Stewie Griffin(Family Guy)
    R2-D2 vs. K-9(Doctor Who)
    C3-PO vs. Shaggy (Scooby-Doo)

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Pter and I talked it over and we agreed that we wouldn't limit the pool of characters that you can draft from, other than disallowing huge forces such as Galactus.

You could pick 1 character each, anyone you'd like, from 5 seeded groups such as Robots, Super powered beings (either hero or villain), human heroes, Mystics and demons/vampires.

I'm confused... we're all fighting against each other? With teams? How does the voting work?

We'll be dangerously open to political voting... or am I getting this wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

SDooM wrote: »
    I'm confused... we're all fighting against each other? With teams? How does the voting work?

To be honest I haven't fully worked out the voting aspect with Pter, it's still in the early stages of development. But I imagine what would happen is that users are drawn against each other, and they both pick a character out of their five to represent them. Then each user will write an argument as to why they feel their character would win the bout.

Admittedly it would require a lot of commitment and hard work, but Pro Wrestling and Soccer have done this, and they seemingly haven't had any issues in regards to political voting.

That's how the draft would work if we decide to go down that route. But as I said, we are still in the early stages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

SDooM wrote: »

Un less LZ plans to have the draft determine pairings in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I think LZ said it best when he said we will end up with a tournament(or perhaps league) of who picked the best team

I think its a natural progression and incorporates at least part of most of the suggestions made before about ensuring hyper powered beings dont end up facing 'human' heores.

Pter wrote: »
    I think its a natural progression and incorporates at least part of most of the suggestions made before about ensuring hyper powered beings dont end up facing 'human' heores.

Definitely. The closer the fight, the more interesting it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I could just imagine a robot league being seriously dominated by transformers.

Gizmodo tried one a while back with a light and heavyweight division. Megatron and Caprica Six took it away wildly due to popular vote and nothing to do with actual combat. Though Megatron did lose out finally to MegaMaid from Spaceballs.

Well thats the good thing about the draft....people are going to pick strong contenders....hence there will be few competitors in the fights who wouldnt actually belong there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

am i reading this right....it is basically a nocturnal/fantacy version of the pro wrestling draft?! in which each person gets their pic in order to build up a team etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I had an idea for a funny division actually.
    Here's a few examples I came up with:
    Chucky(Child's Play)vs. Stewie Griffin(Family Guy)
    R2-D2 vs. K-9(Doctor Who)
    C3-PO vs. Shaggy (Scooby-Doo)

Could do a series of 'grudge matches' before the next proper tournament begins.

I got to say lads I have a confused. Maybe because I don't really know what a draft is in this meaning of the word, so if it sounds like I am asking stoopid questions I pwomise I'm not.

If I'm reading this right-

There's a pool of characters.

Lets say randomly SDooM and Nerin are picked to fight each other, in the Giant Robot league.

SDooM picks Optimus Prime. Nerin picks Voltron.

From the same pool? From seperate ones? From a pool we picked earlier? If one "player" picks a character, does that mean no one else can?

SDooM gives his reasons why Prime would win this fight, using logic, humour, whatever.

Nerin does the same for Voltron.

Then people vote on the winner? Is that it?

Of course, DooMPrime would win.

Is it Doom or Optimus who goes through to the next round?

If it's Doom, can Optimus be used again?

Or is it, you'd pick one character per league? And your stuck with him?

If so, can someone else also pick that character? If not, who decides who picks first?

*scratches head*

LZ need to go over it some more.

But basically...no

Each person who is competing gets 5 picks

Each pick should be from 1 of five types (robot, human, super powered....etc)

Then people, lets say Doom and Nerin for examples sake are drawn against each other for the first round

Doom and Nerin fight with their (for example) robot characters this time

Voting is something LZ and i have to agree on, but again, lets say its a public vote based on the facts that each person presents regarding why they think their fighter should win.

A character (eg Prime) can only be chosen once by one player for the whole tourney (so once Doom picks Prime, he is stuck with him for the whole thing and noone else can pick him)

The winner would be the person who has the team that has racked up the most wins accross all 5 types of hero.

I think. Thats just my idea. Have to discuss with LZ but thought you guys should know the gist.

And i mean very gisty.

thanks. Obviously I was really confused. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Do one based solely on 80s cartoon characters.

Exclude any Transformers though because it would be an automatic win for them.

Characters from Mask, Thundercats, TMNT, He-Man, She-Ra, Bravestarr, Gem & The Holograms (for the ladies), Inspector Gadget, GI Joe/Action Force, etc, etc.

Everyone knows the 80s produced the best cartoons ever.

I was gonna say She Ra was for the ladies too....but we all know thats not strictly true

Ah young love....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Do one based solely on 80s cartoon characters.

Exclude any Transformers though because it would be an automatic win for them.

Characters from Mask, Thundercats, TMNT, He-Man, She-Ra, Bravestarr, Gem & The Holograms (for the ladies), Inspector Gadget, GI Joe/Action Force, etc, etc.

Everyone knows the 80s produced the best cartoons ever.

Danger Mouse would beat them all :p

And im sure Sharkey and George would figure it all out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

The Turtles.

...oh boy.

• Advertisement

go go power rangers

MMPRgroup.jpg

:D

go go power rangers

MMPRgroup.jpg

:D

If you're at the film tomorrow, I'm going to break your heart with stories of what the Power Rangers are doing now.

Rhyme wrote: »
    If you're at the film tomorrow, I'm going to break your heart with stories of what the Power Rangers are doing now.

i was plannin on turning up to the wollshed before hand before i head off to my college night out but after hearing that i dont think i will anymore!

i was plannin on turning up to the wollshed before hand before i head off to my college night out but after hearing that i dont think i will anymore!
    I'll keep my trap shut.

I'll keep my trap shut.

smart move! dont you destroy my childhood heroes! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you mean the actors or the show :p

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you mean the actors or the show :p

Both.

What do people make of what LZ and i have been saying here anyway....

Think I may be skipping the next tournament actually. I really don't have the energy to think about drafting a team.

• Advertisement

Think I may be skipping the next tournament actually. I really don't have the energy to think about drafting a team.

:(

It wont be straight away.....

:(

Advertisement