Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options

Comments

gman2k wrote: »
    Where did you buy the Corolla on a credit card?

Car was free, but the gift for the guy who gave it to me was on a CC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

42472.jpg

Bought this for the commuter bike as I have one on my Cube and it is fantastic value for money.

58552.jpg

Also got these as I don't like the grips that came with it, they are a little uncomfortable so hopefully these will be a little better. I don't like the look of them but they were reasonably cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I don't like the look of them but they were reasonably cheap.

I think you're doing it wrong.

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

It's like selecting a 'partner'. If they don't look good, you don't even ask the price.

• Advertisement

It's like selecting a 'partner'. If they don't look good, you don't even ask the price.

I'm not worried about looks on this particular bike as it gets me to the station and back. My OTHER bike is the one that I like to look as good as possible and I don't mind paying up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

In what way?
    I don't like the look of them but they were reasonably cheap expensive.
    ..is how I think BetterThanHoyte reckons that you should have put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Lemag wrote: »
    ..is how I think BetterThanHoyte reckons that you should have put it.

Nail on head.

Understandable for the good bike but it wouldn't make sense to tart up a commuter bike. I want it as low key as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Understandable for the good bike but it wouldn't make sense to tart up a commuter bike. I want it as low key as possible.
    Fair point
    I don't like the look of them but AND they were reasonably cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Just arrived, time to pop my tub gluing cherry :eek:

166086.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Sahweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Murph100 wrote: »
    Just arrived, time to pop my tub gluing cherry :eek:

Keep us posted on how they behave, I am interested! The neutral colors are much better.

Will do, although my gluing job might be more responsible for any 'faults', might just get them done by the local tub guru for the first set. Hopefully the tubs will be in by Fri.

Yeah the neutrals would go with your new pride & joy very nicely. They've only just started doing the 40mm in the neutral, that one is off the first batch.

They came with proper decent heavy duty padded bags, skewers, valve extenders & Swiss Stop yellow pads. Total weight without skewers is 1320g which aint bad for a mixed 40/60 set and 20/24 spoke count.

Braking track is some basalt treatment jobby, supposed to work well, but we'll see about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

@Murph - what was the damage?

€989 but its a bit tricky to get the mixed set, especially with the neutral decals for the 40mm.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=20588;page=1;menu=1000,4,123,30;mid=335;pgc=0

You could also try Wheelworx and see if they would do a deal. Delivery time might be the only problem as FFWD only just got the 40mm rims with the neutral decals, plenty of the normal red & white decals though.

gman2k wrote: »
    @Murph - what was the damage?

Murph what tyres have you selected for these beauties? Are you going with glue or tufo tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,057 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Versa 11sp Alfine-compatible shifters have arrived.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with them.

2hsch9t.jpg

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Murph what tyres have you selected for these beauties? Are you going with glue or tufo tape?

Ooops Astra, sorry for the tardy reply, was offline in West Cork for the weekend ... HEAVEN !!

I'm gonna put on Veloflex Carbon 22s, I've been using the clincher version ( Veloflex Corsa 22 ) for the past 2 years and they're nothing short of amazing in all conditions. Both tubs & clinchers are actually 23mm when inflated. They're very soft though, so you wont get massive mileage, but once you try them, you'll be hooked.

www.bike-palast.com have the best price for Veloflex if you're curious.

I'm going with glue, but getting the local wheel whizz to glue 'em 'cos I'm too chickensh!t to do it myself :)

I wouldn't touch that Tufo tape, there seems to be waaaaaaay more guys giving out about it than those that are happy with it.

Tons of info on the Glueing Tubulars thread on WW, Fedgrove & Geoff are the glueing gurus on it, just beware ... its over 105 pages long at this stage :eek:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72309&sid=3e0557a6f389ec12c7e09786c7aa57a0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Just ordered a pair of Rapha Bibshorts and a pair of grand tour gloves. I decided on one last spend as the credit card is going. Once I come back from Wales I'm getting on to the bank and getting rid of it.:):(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Bought a set of Look Keo grip cleats from CRC a few weeks ago. Even though the grip part is a load of **** and comes off after the first or second ride I ordered them as that was all they had. They arrived in good time but without screws damn it. £17.99 odd. They were advertised with screws included.

Was in Decathlon at the weekend killing time and spotted they do Keo cleats, red and grey types, genuine article with screws, non grip £9.99. That will do nicely thank you!

Cheers Murph. Are you planning to use any sealant or you ll be carrying an additional tub with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Pulled the trigger on a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's lately! Superb wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Murph100 wrote: »
    €989 but its a bit tricky to get the mixed set, especially with the neutral decals for the 40mm.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=20588;page=1;menu=1000,4,123,30;mid=335;pgc=0

You could also try Wheelworx and see if they would do a deal. Delivery time might be the only problem as FFWD only just got the 40mm rims with the neutral decals, plenty of the normal red & white decals though.
    Murph100 can i ask whats bike24 like to deal with is the postage free and fast thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Murph100 can i ask whats bike24 like to deal with is the postage free and fast thanks.

I ordered a pile of stuff from em, about 8 quid delivery, and fairly fast and painless -would have no problem using them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

I ordered a pile of stuff from em, about 8 quid delivery, and fairly fast and painless -would have no problem using them again
    thanks for that they are a lot cheaper than chainreaction.
    i need a campag 1 inch threaded headset its 55 euro with cr and 45 with bike24.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

Doing some pimping.

Ekoi Diablo helmet

Karbona Guess carbon cages

Look ProTeam bottles

Not too sure yet as I've never got a puncture ( famous last words !! ), from what I've read Vitt Pittstop works about half the time, so maybe not the most reliable, but worth a go IMO. Carrying a spare glued up tub is obviously the best, but its fairly bulky for a jersey pocket no matter how neatly you fold it, and I absolutely hate saddlebags so thats not an option, maybe store in second bidon but it will take some coaxing.
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    Cheers Murph. Are you planning to use any sealant or you ll be carrying an additional tub with you?

+1 on TinyExplosions post, very reliable and very efficient, so too are www.bike-palast.com, usually 4 day delivery, order Mon arrives Thurs

Nothing fancy but I got the below from my lbs for a very good price, as cheap/cheaper than if I had of bought it online.

bfp00g_large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

lafors wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I do :)
    I work shift so I'm always off Sun/Mon/Tues & every second Wed.
    I know 3 delivery men by first name now.....worse they know me :)
    Its a dodgy time for me now though, we're doing the 6 month shift change (from one end of the week until the other.........can be dangerous if delivery men get the wrong day ;)

PS Does anyone have any recommendations/experience of what to do if your wife is going to be on maternity leave and will always be home? Where do you deliver to then?? :eek:

Try work or your friends house???

Advertisement