Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Menu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The functionality is great but the colour scheme is too hard for me to read boards comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was about to gripe about the Responsiveness/Delay until I discovered its a tweakable feature :pac: Well done!

I still miss how Compressed the original Menu Feels - Theres so much spacing in between the Main Category Headings that just feels like wasted space. It results in a lot more mouse-panning across the screen. The popup categories themselves though are class and hopefully will result in a bit more awareness of some of the more obfuscated forums.

One big annoyance is sometimes if youre hovering over a category and you pull away to type in a post, the popup sometimes doesnt disappear despite any amount of clicking like the old one does: You have to go and hover over the category again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Overheal wrote: »
    One big annoyance is sometimes if youre hovering over a category and you pull away to type in a post, the popup sometimes doesnt disappear despite any amount of clicking like the old one does: You have to go and hover over the category again.
    I have noticed this especially with the search popup.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I have noticed this especially with the search popup.
    I raised this before. It happens when you leave a dropdown and enter the scrollbar on the right of your browser. It seems to think you haven't left the dropdown pane for some reason. Ross said it was a browser issue. I had it in firefox. Using chrome now with no issue.

I like it, what are the chances of making it the default, and degrading the current default scheme to an Option?

Not great for a laptop trackpad, but its fantastic with a trackball mouse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Overheal wrote: »
    Not great for a laptop trackpad, but its fantastic with a trackball mouse
    The trackpad is a pain in the hole with the old one I think for the likes of soccer, where you have to go into sub categories

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bumping this to say I'm having a bit of an issue with ads and the menu, when I scroll down, the ad seems to "catch" in the menu if you know what I mean (I've a screen shot attatched to illustrate) I'm using vista and firefox 3.5.6.

I usually use ad block, but I have it disabled for boards because the ads are non intrusive, this is quite annoying however

screenie.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

with some flash ads the ad slaps itself on the first layer or something, so you cant see the menu behind it. very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

The beta menu has been a successful experiment thusfar, thanks for all your feedback and suggestions on how to improve it from it's initial introduction.

Development of it is suspended for the moment as we work on projects with higher priority, but I hope to revisit user interface improvements again when we have time.

Unfortunately, this means the menu is going to start developing quirks as browsers continue to update, etc. If any particularly serious issues crop up, I'll see what I can do, but for now consider it unsupported (like a beta!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

I've been using this as my theme since about August and I much prefer it to the classic version. Thank you Ross. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm seeing the forum search box hidden behind the nav bar using Opera on xp sp3. Dunno if Opera is supported or if anyone else had this problem. FYI anyway.

menu_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

If, or hopefully when, you get around to working on things like the menu again how about adding an option to temporarily disable notification emails? While I generally *do* want the notifications I don't really want them while I've got the site open in one of my browser windows and so far today I've had about 60ish topic reply emails for about 6 or 7 threads that have come into both my laptop and my phone. Certainly its handy to know about the new replies but given that in most cases I'd already read the reply in the thread before the email even came in its fairly pointless.

Anyway, the way I'd see such an option working, and heres how it could tie into the new menu, would be to have an icon on the top right similar to the settings, new PM & new reply icons that would call back to the server at similar intervals and simply record the time so when it comes to sending an email notification you could check if its within perhaps twice the call-back interval and if so then just dont send the email on the basis that the user is currently on the site and can see if theres updated posts by the flashing icon.

Just something for you to think about :)

Oh, and while I'm at it, the find a forum feature cant find Plumbing & Heating (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320). Tested it on IE8 & Chrome.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

JohnK wrote: »
    Oh, and while I'm at it, the find a forum feature cant find Plumbing & Heating (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320). Tested it on IE8 & Chrome.

It can't find any of the five newest forums (glee, russian etc.). Whenever a new forum is created it musn't be added to the entry that find a forum searches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've had to give up on this because of the subbed list bug.

Look forward to it becoming live again :)

Anyone else having trouble with the new post notification icon? It doesnt seem to be working for me anymore :(

Anyone else having trouble with the new post notification icon? It doesnt seem to be working for me anymore :(

Just noticed that it actually works on the homepage but not anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

When im using the find a forum feature, for some forums, it just refreshes the page im on instead of taking me to that forum. It works for the majority of forums, but some gives me this problem, the gentlemans club being one. Have tried clearing the cache but it didnt make a difference, any ideas? have tried on chrome and firefox but same result.
    Thanks

I've noticed that the new post notification thing isn't flashing red as it should be over the last couple of days.

Using Firefox 3.6.6 on Vista Business SP2 if it makes any difference.

Its not been flashing for me since my posts above in March. Seems to have stopped working on the homepage too but I'm not sure when that happened.

• Advertisement

Its not been flashing for me since my posts above in March. Seems to have stopped working on the homepage too but I'm not sure when that happened.
    Pretty sure it only stopped in the last week for me. But maybe I just haven't noticed it before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I've noticed that the new post notification thing isn't flashing red as it should be over the last couple of days.

Using Firefox 3.6.6 on Vista Business SP2 if it makes any difference.

New Post and New PM notification stopped working sometime ago. Assumed it was pointless reporting it, as its not being worked on anymore I think.

Sully wrote: »
    New Post and New PM notification stopped working sometime ago. Assumed it was pointless reporting it, as its not being worked on anymore I think.
    Aye. I see that from a quick read through the more recent posts on this thread.

Hope they get time to start work on it again soon. Really like it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We'll be working on it shortly in fact... trying to plan when it will be released etc... not sure yet.

As to the specific issue, I'll ask and see if something is broke...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

need cloud skin soooooooooooo bad :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

DeVore wrote: »
    We'll be working on it shortly in fact... trying to plan when it will be released etc... not sure yet.

As to the specific issue, I'll ask and see if something is broke...

DeV.

Any updates on seeing if something is broken? :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We're testing internally, i'll put it in the lads inbox to make sure we review it on monday.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

The new post/new PM notification icons should be working now.

Thanks Conor I had just spotted a flashing on the top of my screen :D

Not working on the homepage though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

I just noticed too. Thanks Conor.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement