Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever/ do you suffer(ed) from depression!?

Options

Comments

what do clinical psychologist do ?
    I was looking back on my childhood and often questioned myself about why I never seemed to fit in or why I had strange interests or such repetitive behaviour. I had received some advice that they appeared to be autistic traits, namely Asperger Syndrome, so I was seeing the psychologist regarding this. However he never officially diagnosed me as he didn't want to put a label on me (in his words). I still believe it to be true but in the absence of a diagnosis from a qualified professional I'm still a bit uncertain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Karsini wrote: »
    I was looking back on my childhood and often questioned myself about why I never seemed to fit in or why I had strange interests or such repetitive behaviour. I had received some advice that they appeared to be autistic traits, namely Asperger Syndrome, so I was seeing the psychologist regarding this. However he never officially diagnosed me as he didn't want to put a label on me (in his words). I still believe it to be true but in the absence of a diagnosis from a qualified professional I'm still a bit uncertain.

Oh ok i can understand that... Same problems my self i think its them and not me tbh :), Like serously majority of people who suffer from anything we've discussed seem to have a very similer veiw point where as...

if you where to chat to some people I know.... There answer would be its all in your head...... :D:pac:

Yeah mate it is but whats in my head and yours is very different...
    and gentrally lack and empathy because there straight lassed streamlined people school collage job house gf ....... the mondeo life style but thats what they've had drilled into them....

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

if you where to chat to some people I know.... There answer would be its all in your head...... :D:pac:

Thats very true and drives me mad. It is pure ignorance and lack of understanding!

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    Thats very true and drives me mad. It is pure ignorance and lack of understanding!

yep... but hey... if we where all the same it was drive us equelly mad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

I don't have depression, but after lots of visits to my G.P I was told that I have G.A.D ( generalised anxiety disorer ). I was having very bad panic attacks and had a constant "knot" in my stomach, like some thing bad was going to happen. I could wake up at 4am and just shake from head to toe!. The treatment for G.A.D, well what I'm on is an antidepressant called Lexapro, even though I dont have depression, I dont have sad thoughts, but I would worry about everything! and I mean EVERYTHING!. I've been taking Lexapro for over a year now and the panic/anxiety attacks are few and far between,TG, but I will always remember friends and family basically telling me to "get over it"!, whereas my husband, would put his arms around me and try talk me through it!

does anyone else here have G.A.D?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Actually, having experienced what passes for "counselling" at the hands of the HSE (in two seperate cities in Ireland), I'd much rather go through depression on medication alone if possible.

Being taken into a room alone, accused of faking a lifetime of clinical depression and being told I'm not depressed at all and berated for over 90 minutes while my spouse waits next door oblivious to what is going on doesn't appeal to me, strangely.

The first time it happened, I figured it must be an anomally. The second time (in the second city) I figured this country is backwards and I needed to get the f*ck out.

(Ironically, I doubt I'd even have a need for anti-depressants if I wasn't living in Ireland)

Xiney wrote: »
    Actually, having experienced what passes for "counselling" at the hands of the HSE (in two seperate cities in Ireland), I'd much rather go through depression on medication alone if possible.

Being taken into a room alone, accused of faking a lifetime of clinical depression and being told I'm not depressed at all and berated for over 90 minutes while my spouse waits next door oblivious to what is going on doesn't appeal to me, strangely.

The first time it happened, I figured it must be an anomally. The second time (in the second city) I figured this country is backwards and I needed to get the f*ck out.

(Ironically, I doubt I'd even have a need for anti-depressants if I wasn't living in Ireland)

I think if you go to the hse for counciling your going to get that...
    private ftw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

(Skipping the majority of the thread to post this)

I currently suffer mild depression, but it's brought upon by suffering anxiety. I get bogged down really early, and get really un-motivated. Going to counseling right now and getting cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and it's working. But I've a long way to go before I'll be back to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭corkie

EDIT: I may have started off on the wrong foot in this thread so please read through it! I wasnt saying depressed people shouldnt be depressed cause their physiological needs were met; I was just trying to talk about how annoying it is for sufferers that despite knowing they are better off in material terms than many others, they are simply unable to enjoy their everyday lives.

I have read some of this long thread with interest?

Where you watching Stephen Fry on rte ryan?
    Link to rte player. around about 50mins at the end of the show.
    He even stated that he suffers from "Manic Depression"?
    Comedian, actor, author and film-maker Stephen Fry meets celebrities and members of the public who talk frankly about the impact the condition has on their lives.

During the two programmes, Stephen Fry talks in detail about his own experience of having bipolar disorder. He recounts his suicide attempt after walking out of the West End play Cellmates in 1995, and the continuing severe mood swings he has to endure.

Link to BBC documentry

Regards,
    J.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

Hi, I am given to periods of depression. I have had ocd in the past and was put on antidepressants for that. I was on them for 6 years as I was afraid to come off them in case the ocd came back. I came off them about 3 months ago, my ocd didn't come back too bad, but me and the girlfriend broke up a month ago and I've had my head up my prevebial ever since. I determined not to go back on antidepressants but I know I can't continue on like this. For me it seems to have a physiological basis, as I am not down about anything in particular. I going to hit the gym and try to get into shape, I'm hoping that'll cheer me up. I wish I could have been born different. I envy people who coast through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

zero_nine wrote: »
    I determined not to go back on antidepressants but I know I can't continue on like this.
    Don't look on them like that. They are there to help if you really need it.

But:
    I going to hit the gym and try to get into shape, I'm hoping that'll cheer me up. I wish I could have been born different. I envy people who coast through.

This sounds like a good idea. Hope it works for you, just basically do all you can to put your mind of things. You will be fine :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I going to hit the gym and try to get into shape, I'm hoping that'll cheer me up.
    Strenuous daily exercise may help. I have a friend who used to suffer from depression and claims that this was a part of her solution. Getting 8 hours sleep per night, a healthy diet, cutting alcohol (alcohol is a chemical depressant), and sorting out problems at work and with family also helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Strenuous daily exercise may help. I have a friend who used to suffer from depression and claims that this was a part of her solution. Getting 8 hours sleep per night, a healthy diet, cutting alcohol (alcohol is a chemical depressant), and sorting out problems at work and with family also helped.
    Exercise is well know aid for curing depression. http://www2.vhi.ie/topic/exdepression

EDIT: All those things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So 66% or thereabouts say they suffer from depression.....so does that mirror irish society?? or is it just 66% of Boards.ie users??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was surprised myself. It could be down to a lot of things though. Yes the demographic of an internet site is more likely to be attractive to people who would have less social skills, which would increase the risk. That said the people I've met at boards beers would skew that stereotype in the vast majority of cases. Plus I know people with depression who are very social. The anonymous nature of the web also makes it easier for people to admit what is still a condition laden with stigma.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^
    very well said
    Wibbs wrote: »
    The anonymous nature of the web also makes it easier for people to admit what is still a condition laden with stigma.

but why should there be a stigma??

i look at it this way..the brain is just another part of the body that can be damaged, just like the heart, lungs, kidney, liver etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    very well said

but why should there be a stigma??

i look at it this way..the brain is just another part of the body that can be damaged, just like the heart, lungs, kidney, liver etc

unfortunately, not everyone has this sensible enlightened attitude.

there are plenty people out there that think those who suffer from depression or any other mental illness are somehow weak, or "a bit off".

there are those who subject them to derision and ridicule, and those who think they should be shepherded away and locked up in the big grey building on teh hill.

i am a psychiatrist, and i see this stigma alive and kicking every single day.

i have seen parents of a man newly diagnosed with schizophrenia, sit in front of me and argue over which side of the family it came from "there was never madness in my family, he must have gotten it from your crowd" etc, instead of focussing on their son and what was best to do for him

i have seen people refuse to access help, both for themselves and their families, because they dont want anyone knowing they were going to "the mental ward"

i could go on and on.

the sad reality is that while this misperception and stigma is out there, those with depression and other mental illnesses will continue to be marginalised and will resist seeking help, both of which will only serve to perpetuate teh situation, and ultimately, keep our suicide rate as high as it is.

Has anyone actually tried exercise for depression? I'm not feeling awful awful at the moment, just quite bad, and the idea of getting out of my bed is a terrifying prospect.( I'm of the impression that if I talk to someone in real life, as in my parents etc, they'll tell me to cheer up because my face appears to be physically unable to disguise a bad mood). Anyway, I'm wondering has anyone here personal experience with using exercise to cure moderate depression? I may have to go back on antidepressants if it doesn't get better by such these means, exercise or perhaps time. I cannot stand this endless endless rumination about problems, imagined problems mostly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sam34 wrote: »
    there are plenty people out there that think those who suffer from depression or any other mental illness are somehow weak, or "a bit off".
    More than plenty I would say. OK the truth? I gotta be honest and hold my hand up and say I would have felt a lot like that in the past. Not about people with schizophrenia or obviously pathological clinical depression/manic depression, but the lower levels of it. Even today, though intellectually I know it's something they may have little control over, I still sometimes feel like shaking some and telling them to cop on, eat better, move more, meet people and stop being so self obsessed. More a frustration rather than a stigma though. This feeling goes deep and not just in me. I would say the majority of my mates would feel similar.

the sad reality is that while this misperception and stigma is out there, those with depression and other mental illnesses will continue to be marginalised and will resist seeking help, both of which will only serve to perpetuate teh situation, and ultimately, keep our suicide rate as high as it is.
    +1

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

corkie wrote: »
    I have read some of this long thread with interest?

Where you watching Stephen Fry on rte ryan?
    Link to rte player. around about 50mins at the end of the show.
    He even stated that he suffers from "Manic Depression"?

I actually saw the replay of that interview last night and I also watched his documentary on manic depression when it was shown on tv. I found it very captivating, especially seeing the GP who herself has bi-polar. Its worth looking up on youtube for those who havnt seen it.

I'm amazed at the number of responses this thread has brought in, abigayle and snow monkey in particular, fair play with the response you's are giving to people! :pac::)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Anyway, I'm wondering has anyone here personal experience with using exercise to cure moderate depression?
    I had posted earlier that a friend of mine claimed that it helped, and she was clinically diagnosed with mood disorder. Although I do not have this condition, we all as humans have an occasion to be depressed, and when I have been in such a mood, I have found that strenuous exercise really helped.

Be mindful that exercise is not the silver bullet for the cure of depression, but in combination with other interventions can be helpful. Don't forget a healthy diet, adequate sleep, vitamins, cutting alcohol (a chemical depressant), and sorting out work, family, and significant-other problems as parts of the solution.

I had posted earlier that a friend of mine claimed that it helped, and she was clinically diagnosed with mood disorder. Although I do not have this condition, we all as humans have an occasion to be depressed, and when I have been in such a mood, I have found that strenuous exercise really helped.

Be mindful that exercise is not the silver bullet for the cure of depression, but in combination with other interventions can be helpful. Don't forget a healthy diet, adequate sleep, vitamins, and sorting out work, family, and significant-other problems as parts of the solution.

Cool. Will try some fun, but punishing exercise :D

Hi, I am given to periods of depression. I have had ocd in the past and was put on antidepressants for that. I was on them for 6 years as I was afraid to come off them in case the ocd came back. I came off them about 3 months ago, my ocd didn't come back too bad, but me and the girlfriend broke up a month ago and I've had my head up my prevebial ever since. I determined not to go back on antidepressants but I know I can't continue on like this. For me it seems to have a physiological basis, as I am not down about anything in particular. I going to hit the gym and try to get into shape, I'm hoping that'll cheer me up. I wish I could have been born different. I envy people who coast through.

i find part of the problem with depression is the doing of nothing....
    Its all to easy..... I can admit that straight of keeping busy active and doing anything is better then sitting in front of a pc...

Im a pig for it... :mad:I cant help my self... tho recently Ive been giveing a list of stuff which require my cannon 5D :D and some ingenuity with a camera so the days are a bit better ....

tho i spend a lot of time on photo shop... what i will say is that i happily grab my skate board and hit the streets for an hour at times cause soem trouble cruising down hills or on main streets :D.... or going for a drive :cool:

you just gotta dos stuff tho i think motivation is another problem a depression suffer can have

i find part of the problem with depression is the doing of nothing....
    Its all to easy..... I can admit that straight of keeping busy active and doing anything is better then sitting in front of a pc...

Im a pig for it... :mad:I cant help my self... tho recently Ive been giveing a list of stuff which require my cannon 5D :D and some ingenuity with a camera so the days are a bit better ....

tho i spend a lot of time on photo shop... what i will say is that i happily grab my skate board and hit the streets for an hour at times cause soem trouble cruising down hills or on main streets :D.... or going for a drive :cool:

you just gotta dos stuff tho i think motivation is another problem a depression suffer can have

Yeah motivation can be a big problem. Its way easier just to sit in front of the PC doing nothing in particular. Mindless filler sort of tasks. You kind of just have to make yourself get up and do anything. I like driving too.

Yeah motivation can be a big problem. Its way easier just to sit in front of the PC doing nothing in particular. Mindless filler sort of tasks. You kind of just have to make yourself get up and do anything. I like driving too.

and thats the bigist key to over coming it i think :)its being motivated to do things because when your depressed you don't want to do anything and when you go for meds or talking... things kinda go slightly turbulant and one part of you any one will admit that doing nothing and being a lazy is great but it doesnt do anything for you :(.... where as doing something anything from walking to taking a picture suddenly adds a bit of excitement to your day....:)
    which is important...

drivings good, skating good playing air soft can be very good Ive found. Windsurfing just makes me blow a fuse think its music and going fast really fast and nothing beats it.,... Espechilly if theres some one out there who aint as good as you but with better kit :D i kind alike to think bring it on amke it my mission to make them look very slow :cool:plus i only weight 10 and a half stone... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

I think I am currently suffering some manner of depression or mood disorder,being out of work might be the cause of it or maybe it is just giving me time to think about feelings that were already there.

I made a doctors appointment so hopefully things will start changing soon enough,I am pretty sure if I got out there more,went to the gym and met up with people I would feel better but the fear is what if I do that and still feel all empty and sad.

I think the worst bit is the feeling like you will never feel happy again and if you do is it only fleeting?

I am very lucky in the sense my parents and friends are very supportive and I had no worry about what they would think when I told them how I was feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

Has anyone actually tried exercise for depression?

I also found that going for a long walk improved my mood temporarily.

That's always a big problem when I'm depressed. I can't make myself do anything, even the things I love. I love playing music and that always puts me in a better mood, but if I'm depressed I can't bring myself to pick up an instrument. Even though I know it will probably make me feel better. Eventually the lack of motivation seems to become physical and I just feel completely drained of energy, even though I've done nothing all day.

I don't know if it's mentioned in this thread already, but I would highly reccomend to any depression sufferer to read Gareth O'Callaghans book "A Day Called Hope". I've read it several times. He seems to put into words what I never can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

fryup wrote: »
    So 66% or thereabouts say they suffer from depression.....so does that mirror irish society?? or is it just 66% of Boards.ie users??

66% say they HAVE suffered from depression. It doesn't mean everyone is depressed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Has anyone actually tried exercise for depression?

To echo a few other posters here, I have noticed that excercise can be a great source of relief from feeling depressed. It's not a perfect cure, obviously, but it really can help.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I went through a few months of what I believe was mild depression. While I am sure it was down to a number of other factors (break-up of first major relationship, not seeing my old school friends after starting college, failing to make new friends after that, etc) my feelings really worsened after the sports season ended. I gave up playing soccer, never trained for any of my college teams and had no GAA to keep me occupied in the evenings from October until January that year.
    I noticed that my mood changed significantly once I made myself do a bit of running, then started going along to college training sessions, etc. The combination of fresh air, physical activity and social interaction were a great boost. I'm still a bit moody, but nothing like I was 18 months ago.
    It's also vitally important to have somebody to talk to though, whether it's a counsellor, a friend, a family member or whoever. Bottling things up made the feelings worse for me, and I reckon plenty of others can attest to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Not myself personally, but it's common in my family. One family member tried to commit suicide a few years ago but we caught her in time, and another one last year (unfortunately he was successful.)

It's a big problem in this country, mental illness has such a stigma attached to it.

Advertisement