Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever/ do you suffer(ed) from depression!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Teacherman

There is a difference between those who are clinically depressed and those who are not. By clinically I mean -have gone to a doctor and prescribed tablets. There are many people who would be diagnosed as clinically depressed but never go near a doctor.Then there are those who are medicated but should never have been medicated but I reckon they are a tiny minority.

We all suffer depression-its part of being human. Being medicated is a step up. There is of course a distinction between depression caused by events and depression that seems to be biologically based. Sometimes its a mixture of the two.
    There are only three ways to deal with event depression: accept reality or change your perception of reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Teacherman wrote: »
    .Then there are those who are medicated but should never have been medicated but I reckon they are a tiny minority.
    Afaik, SSRI's have no effect on those who do not have depleted seretonin levels. It only becomes effective for those that do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've never been diagnosed as clinically depressed, no. I went to a counsellor before and we established I do suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, so I tend to be quite down in winter, but it's not as bad as clinical depression.

There certainly was a period when I was a teenager that every day felt like an uphill struggle, but there was so much going on at that time that I don't know if my moods were just a result of circumstances or if the circumstances actually resulted in depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yep.
    Tried to kill myself twice in the one weekend.
    That was fun.

Don't suffer from depression any more. Well, I can control to to a certain extent these days.
    The agorophobia is still there though. Had it bad on Friday.

Meh. I'll get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I had "suicidal ideation" from the ages of 11 to 13. I never got close to doing it, but I used to think about it all the freakin' time.

Then I got somewhat better for a while, but **** me if moving to Ireland wasn't the worst decision I ever made. 5 months into being unemployed now and day three of the happy pills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I've never suffered from depression and, hopefully, never will. No one in my immediate family has either.

TBH, I'm quite startled that so many people that I've met on the internet are/have been on anti-depressants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

that many people have suffered from depression? either boardsies are very depressed people or I just don't believe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Abigayle wrote: »
    You have very clearly, no understanding whatsoever what depression is.

How can you know I don't; perhaps I'm just trying to assess the situation from a rational point of view? If I felt I was suffering from depression I'd have to ask myself "how can that be the case, given that there is nothing in my life that is a genuine threat or danger to my well being or survival, as is the case with many people in the world". From the perspective of people living in much worse conditions, surely we have much to be content about?...And I don't just mean the basics of survival, we have enough money to go out and have fun (every now and again), raise children knowing that they will most certainly survive in the world and many other things that arn't available to lots of people in the world.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

How can you know I don't; perhaps I'm just trying to assess the situation from a rational point of view? If I felt I was suffering from depression I'd have to ask myself "how can that be the case, given that there is nothing in my life that is a genuine threat or danger to my well being or survival, as is the case with many people in the world". From the perspective of people living in much worse conditions, surely we have much to be content about?...And I don't just mean the basics of survival, we have enough money to go out and have fun, raise children knowing that they will most certainly survive in the world and many other things that arn't available to lots of people in the world.

Ah so I see you are part of the "Cheer up you miserable so and so" school of depression treatment.
    Not too many people with qualifications in the field would back that one, it has to be said.

Ah so I see you are part of the "Cheer up you miserable so and so" school of depression treatment.
    Not too many people with qualifications in the field would back that one, it has to be said.

No no, I really am not! But does nobody else find the statistics obtained in the poll a bit mad? I know that a person suffering from genuine depression can never simply will themselves out of it seeing as you cant create serotonin and dopamine in your brain from thin air! I know they very often need treatment by a proffesional to get better. But i find it intruiging that our society as a whole is very sad, despite a good standard of living; perhaps over time our emotions get blunted when we have too much too easily?

• Advertisement

we have enough money to go out and have fun (every now and again), raise children knowing that they will most certainly survive in the world and many other things that arn't available to lots of people in the world.

Are you are trying to suggest that we have no right to be depressed? What exactly is your understanding of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It all comes down to the human condition - we are naturally driven to progress, to constant improvement and so on.

I mean it's like that comedian said, everything is amazing and nobody's happy.

Sure, I should be happy with what I've got: a husband who loves me, financial safety net if not security, and a heck of a knack to be good at just about anything I try. But I've been trying to rationalize that with myself for the past 20 months now and you know what? It wasn't working. I wanted more (to travel, to have a rewarding job) but I'm stuck due to unemployment. So I gave up and went to the doctor.

Are you are trying to suggest that we have no right to be depressed? What exactly is your understanding of it?

Of course people have a right to feel what they naturally feel! But it strikes me as counterintuitive that in our country, and indeed the rest of the western world, for quite a high percentage of the population, the natural feelings they experience are ones of depression.

My understanding of it? Well, sometimes I feel really down too, often being able to tick most of the boxes for a depression diagnosis; but I remember then that things really arn't as bleak as they seem in my head, especially given the situation of my life (things I might be good at, potential to suceed, absense of any real threat of hunger, disease etc) so I continue on and try to fight those irrational thoughts. I realise that I can never be as happy as somebody who genuinely is blissfully ignorant but I cant change that so I dont try!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

But i find it intruiging that our society as a whole is very sad, despite a good standard of living; perhaps over time our emotions get blunted when we have too much too easily?
    You obviously havn't read half the posts on this thread.
    Depression has nothing to do with what our country is like, or our standard of living. It's personal. It's due to problems in the past. It's due to childhood issues that we thought we had taken care of. It's due to too many people brushing you aside saying "cheer up".

You need to get the whole "our way of life should mean that nobody gets depressed" attitude.

Ever burst into tears for no reason? Ever feel like someone as ploughed a knife through your heart even though everyone is being positive and trying to help?

No?

Didn't think so.:mad:

My understanding of it? Well, sometimes I feel really down too, often being able to tick most of the boxes for a depression diagnosis; but I remember then that things really arn't as bleak as they seem in my head, especially given the situation of my life (things I might be good at, potential to suceed, absense of any real threat of hunger, disease etc) so I continue on and try to fight those irrational thoughts. I realise that I can never be as happy as somebody who genuinely is blissfully ignorant but I cant change that so I dont try!

I have accepted that you don't really understand it at all. Otherwise I would find you quite infuriating. Lay it on the table.. is it weakness? stupidity? attention seeking? All of the above?

Being depressed is not something you can choose to be, or have any control over. Its a chemical imbalance in the brain. Depression can be prolonged, and especially so if it remains untreated. Next you will be telling me that SSRI's are just a placebo to trick the hypercondriacs that claim to suffer from depression into copping on.

I have accepted that you don't really understand it at all. Otherwise I would find you quite infuriating. Lay it on the table.. is it weakness? stupidity? attention seeking? All of the above?

Being depressed is not something you can choose to be, or have any control over. Its a chemical imbalance in the brain. Depression can be prolonged, and especially so if it remains untreated. Next you will be telling me that SSRI's are just a placebo to trick the hypercondriacs that claim to suffer from depression into copping on.

Yes, I know you dont choose to be depressed, no more than you can choose to stop being depressed. It's a chemical imbalance. But the imbalance arises as a result of something eg cumulative stressful situations, something going wrong in your life. I dont see how, if the statistics on this poll are anything to go by, only 15 percent of the people on these boards live lives that don't warrant feeling any feelings of depression.

Look, I've had a good few setbacks myself, felt unreal miserable for a few years. Still do some days. But I never got treatment for it because I couldnt accept that my situations in life were bad enough to warrent treatment. They shouldnt be. I might be coming across that I dont know what depression is but that's just because I'm trying to look at it in a rational light; maybe too rational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have always being of the opinion that anybody anywere, from any type of background can come down with depression just as some people are more prone to colds and flu than others .And the statistics are out there to prove it .How people deal with it is another thing .It can be hard to diagnose from person to person as each will have different circumstances in their lifes which will have contributed to it and their also can be a chemical imbalance involved .Turning to drink and drugs are some peoples way of dealing with it which of course doesn't get to the root of the problem .It use to be a case of '' just get on with it '' and many did and still do just that. People who have commited suicide would have being driven to the deapths of depression before killing themselfs and would not have got the help they needed beforehand .But thankfully now it is recognised now for what it is ,a serious conditions that affects millions and it does not have the stigma it once had .

Gyalist wrote: »
    I've never suffered from depression and, hopefully, never will. No one in my immediate family has either.

TBH, I'm quite startled that so many people that I've met on the internet are/have been on anti-depressants.

I was on them for quite a while and eventually realised that it's something which a lot of people don't openly talk about. Many people consider professional help as a sign of weakness so either don't seek it themselves when they may need it or they won't tell anyone they got it (for fear of backlash from the "cheer up" brigade). Thankfully I think I'm coming out the other side now but it's taken about 8 or 9 years for me to get to this point.

I might be coming across that I dont know what depression is but that's just because I'm trying to look at it in a rational light; maybe too rational.

I'm afraid you are :)

Sadly the word gets thrown around far too often, it doesn't get taken as seriously as it should. That and the words 'panic attack'. You would know all about it if you had either.

I'm afraid you are :)

Sadly the word gets thrown around far too often, it doesn't get taken as seriously as it should. That and the words 'panic attack'. You would know all about it if you had either.

I've seen somebody have a true panic attack once, and you're right, it isn't a label that can be applied to simply being anxious! Really is frightening to watch.

• Advertisement

Unlike depression ,It doesnt take a chain of events to start a panic attack and some people are so depressed that asking them ' have you ever / do you suffer with depression ' ? will be met with a blank response because trying to explain or put into words how they feel is not possible , but that's part of their depression .

As Abie said words like like ' panic attacks ' and also 'depression ' are bandied about that it's hard at times to understand what's happening to the person .I say so as somebody who has suffered a bit with both at some time in my life but thankfully not of late .

No longer wanting to come across as somebody who hasn't a clue what they're talking about(!), I'd just like to ask a question now.

Would anybody here be able to believe that 70% of the population definately suffer/ed from depression at some point? Personally I think that figure is far too high. I would say it should be more around 25%? While I understand that many of you who have posted so far have genuinely suffered from clinical depression at some point, perhaps it is slightly overdiagnosed in the western world? That dosent mean that those who are a case for a genuine diagnosis don't really have it; it means that there are many people out there who dont truly have it but may have been treated as if they did.

No longer wanting to come across as somebody who hasn't a clue what they're talking about(!), I'd just like to ask a question now.

Would anybody here be able to believe that 70% of the population definately suffer/ed from depression at some point? Personally I think that figure is far too high. I would say it should be more around 25%? While I understand that many of you who have posted so far have genuinely suffered from clinical depression at some point, perhaps it is slightly overdiagnosed in the western world? That dosent mean that those who are a case for a genuine diagnosis don't really have it; it means that there are many people out there who dont truly have it but may have been treated as if they did.

Are you basing this solely on the poll? the statistics would be slightly flawed, in that this is only a small catchment area. Also, some have marked 'maybe', so some may not have been treated / professionally diagnosed. I really think you should befriend Google, and find out a lot more about the condition. Im not being cheeky about it, just that you might give you some more insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

i suffered a bad dose in my early twenties,for about 9 months,the type were when i went to sleep i didn't want to wake up.i didn't go the the medication route as it drugs played a big part in getting me into that condition instead i found a cure in meditation.i never got to try the psychotherapy route as the meditaion worked out fine.it requires a bit of effort and is no instant fix but i found happiness therein,

You might have to go back and ask what is depression ? If you were to ask everybody on this forum if they or a member of their family, friends suffered with depression? I would imagine a large % might say yes .Then if you were to ask how many of them were actually diagnosed as such ? you might get only a small % .

Why ? Because as has being mentioned ,not everybody feels they will be taken serious by family ,friends, work colleagues, and can go to a doctor and open up for fear of being a considered ' a burden ' ( not by doctor ) .We do live in a society that expects instant answers to all our problems ,real or imagined and people of other generations were pretty good at 'getting on with it ' because they didn't have any choice .But then I suppose what can seem to be a big problem Magnified ten fold to one person is just a fly in the ointment to another .Those people might have an neurosis which is not nessacarly the same as depression .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

How can you know I don't; perhaps I'm just trying to assess the situation from a rational point of view? If I felt I was suffering from depression I'd have to ask myself "how can that be the case, given that there is nothing in my life that is a genuine threat or danger to my well being or survival, as is the case with many people in the world". From the perspective of people living in much worse conditions, surely we have much to be content about?...And I don't just mean the basics of survival, we have enough money to go out and have fun (every now and again), raise children knowing that they will most certainly survive in the world and many other things that arn't available to lots of people in the world.

because if you suffered from it you wouldnt of made the post in the first place because you would understand what depression is like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Would anybody here be able to believe that 70% of the population definately suffer/ed from depression at some point? Personally I think that figure is far too high. I would say it should be more around 25%? .

i would imagine that the statistics here would be slightly skewed in that the thread title attracts a higher percantage of people who have suffered depression and would hardly be a reliable indicator of true figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I haven't myself but a very close family was hospitalized because of it. Its an extremely sad illness and heartbreaking to know you cant help the person who is suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I had a panic attack 2 years ago, it was completely out of the blue and I hadn't been feeling stressed or depressed prior to it.

When I went to the hospital (thinking I was having a heart attack, lol) the doc told me what had happened and I felt more embarrassed than I ever had been before.

He explained to me the physiological manifestations of depression and how it can be triggered by seemingly insignificant events, he also explained that you don't need to be 'sad' to be suffering with depression or anxiety and that it can manifest itself in many ways.

Telling my mates that I had an anxiety attack was hard tbh because of the stigma around mental health, but they were cool about it.

I've changed various things in my life now and haven't suffered an anxiety attack since.

• Advertisement

because if you suffered from it you wouldnt of made the post in the first place because you would understand what depression is like...

Okay, I realise that me talking about the fact the people who suffer from depression in this country have all of their physiological needs met, may have come across as a bit insensitive and probably a meaningless statement to those sufferers. I wrote the original post to enquire as to why the supposed rate of depression in this country should be so high, despite the fact that, on paper, our standard of living, as a society, should be near optimal.

I understand that you do/did suffer from clinical depression; many people think they do but actually dont. Yes, its a horrible debillitating illness that robs a person of their ability to get on with life; but the statistics are crazy...the figures, at least in the poll featured here, are far too high.

Yes I googled for other statistics and, while they are admittedly lower, I assume that is because the statistics were compiled by a medical professional and not by use of a poll on a public forum like this, whereby voters might be confused with the definition of depression. Apparently 1 in 10 teenagers in Ireland suffer a major depressive episode; those figures seem more in line with what might be true.

Advertisement