Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever/ do you suffer(ed) from depression!?

Options
  • 25-04-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭

Just curious as to approximately what percentage of people on here can safely say they have never suffered from depression.
    It seems these days everybody knows people taking pills for it and what not. It strikes me as a bit counterintuitive that in a country with adequate food, water, healthcare (in fairness, we have), opportunities to succeed, no massive problems with poverty (not counting the homeless, seeing as nobody on these boards are homeless...surely) that people can get to the stage that life seems extraordinairily difficult and pointless. Surely not having food, water etc would be the most depressing thing that could happen to a person and yet I doubt people who live with those problems in other parts of the world would even consider feelings of hoplessness and depression an illness.

EDIT: I may have started off on the wrong foot in this thread so please read through it! I wasnt saying depressed people shouldnt be depressed cause their physiological needs were met; I was just trying to talk about how annoying it is for sufferers that despite knowing they are better off in material terms than many others, they are simply unable to enjoy their everyday lives.

Have you ever / do you suffer(ed) from depression? 331 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    78% 260 votes
    maybe so
    21% 71 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It seems to me that overlooking all aspects of being human but the base physical existence, and assuming that all one needs to be 'happy' (or at least not depressed) is that one's physiological needs are met is rather dim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Hi OP

Depression is really an illness that can not really be quantified by your yard sticks. It is irrelevant that we have healthcare, work, food etc. Depression at a chemical level, is about depleated serotonin and odd levels of dopomine in the brain. At a psychological level, it can be caused by a lack of vitamin D (lack of sunshine). Alcohol is a major contributor as it affects the chemical balances I speak of above and then there is the fact that a lot of people have some unresolved hurt or sadness in their lives. This will often be a deep rooted cause for drinking/drugging etc. Irish people in particular are emmotionally insecure and not very good at expressing themselves socially. This too can lead to a sense of isolation and a feeling that there is no one to talk to about an issue or just about reality. It is unsurprising to me that many people in the western world (not just Ireland) are depressed these days. Unfortunately, many are put on pills when waht they really need is group / talk therapy, exercise, diet and a new life. Pills are required by some but in reality unfortunately they are severly over prescribed by medical practitioners.

What you refer to above is the bottom rung of Maslow's hierarchy of needs (shelter, security). These are the basics required for survival but as you travel upwards along the hierarchy, Maslow identifies things such as love, belonging, esteem, experience, purpose etc as being of far greater importace to humans than the things you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Fortunately, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I honestly don't know.
    "Depression" is a very strong word to use. I'd find it hard to distinguish between being depressed and feeling a bit down.
    The last few months of 2008 were very rough for me. There were a good few days where I just didn't get out of bed because I just felt crap and didn't want to go outside. I was on Roaccutane at the time and mood swings are a fairly common side effect of that drug but I don't know if I ever had it bad enough to be called "depressed".

So I'll have to vote for "maybe so" in that poll.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I honestly don't know.
    "Depression" is a very strong word to use. I'd find it hard to distinguish between being depressed and feeling a bit down.
    The last few months of 2008 were very rough for me. There were a good few days where I just didn't get out of bed because I just felt crap and didn't want to go outside. I was on Roaccutane at the time and mood swings are a fairly common side effect of that drug but I don't know if I ever had it bad enough to be called "depressed".

So I'll have to vote for "maybe so" in that poll.

I would be similar, I've had quite a lot of ups and downs over the last few years and the downs have been pretty rough. That said, I've never been on medication for depression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

KStaford wrote: »
    Hi OP

Depression is really an illness that can not really be quantified by your yard sticks. It is irrelevant that we have healthcare, work, food etc. Depression at a chemical level, is about depleated serotonin and odd levels of dopomine in the brain. At a psychological level, it can be caused by a lack of vitamin D (lack of sunshine). Alcohol is a major contributor as it affects the chemical balances I speak of above and then there is the fact that a lot of people have some unresolved hurt or sadness in their lives. This will often be a deep rooted cause for drinking/drugging etc. Irish people in particular are emmotionally insecure and not very good at expressing themselves socially. This too can lead to a sense of isolation and a feeling that ther eis no one to talk to about an issue or just about reality. It is unsurprising to me that many people in the western world (not just Ireland) are depressed these days. Unfortunately, many are put on pills when waht they really need is group / talk therapy, exercise, diet and a new life. Pills are required for some but really they are not an ideal solution

Aye, I know that every emotional state has a physical basis behind it in the brain; but a reduced level of seretonin in the brain comes about as a result of the input the brain receives, either fom the outside world, chemical abuse or the persons own already-present brain activity. So, leaving out the depression caused by overusage of drink, drugs etc, why do people in the western world suffer depression as a result of situations that, in terms of depression-causing-potential, pale in comparison to those situations experienced by those living in poorer conditions as described in my OP?

I would be similar, I've had quite a lot of ups and downs over the last few years and the downs have been pretty rough. That said, I've never been on medication for depression.

Oh neither have I. Roaccutane is a treatment for acne.

(Sorry, I probably should have specified that! :o)

Bear in mind that there is no "happy life". There is no constant state of euphoria. A lot of people spend a lot of energy looking for this. In reality life is up and down. Its happy, sad, exciting, dull, scary, exhilerating, depressing, boring etc etc and thats pretty normal. Thats the way it is for most and thats the way it should be. Dont waste your time looking for some nirvana that just dont exist.

Aye, I know that every emotional state has a physical basis behind it in the brain; but a reduced level of seretonin in the brain comes about as a result of the input the brain receives, either fom the outside world, chemical abuse or the persons own already-present brain activity. So, leaving out the depression caused by overusage of drink, drugs etc, why do people in the western world suffer depression as a result of situations that, in terms of depression-causing-potential, pale in comparison to those situations experienced by those living in poorer conditions as described in my OP?

One thought...
    The way we live in the western world is sometimes unfulfilling for some. Huge mortgages, financed lives, hours wasted commuting, too much of everything available immediately (thus nothing is special). Dropping kids off with childminders at 7am before they go and sit in traffic. Lousy boring and unfulfilling jobs. A lot of people live this way. No sunshine, too much alcohol, unable to talk about things, bullied or abused as children, lousy parents. Jesus I could go on all night

KStaford wrote: »
    Bear in mind that there is no "happy life". There is no constant state of euphoria. A lot of people spend a lot of energy looking for this. In reality life is up and down. Its happy, sad, exciting, dull, scary, exhilerating, depressing, boring etc etc and thats pretty normal. Thats the way it is for most and thats the way it should be. Dont waste your time looking for some nirvana that just dont exist.

Quite true; we didnt evolve in a world that could afford us the luxury of constant system of serotonin and dopamine breakdown and re-uptake seeing as good things were hard to come by back then and the evolution of such a system would have been both pointless and wasteful, in biochemical terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Id say so tbh, I had times when I was really down over something particular, I wouldnt call that depression though.

I knew I was depressed before when I wasnt in the mood for doing anything about anything, all good now though, dunno what came over me but Ive been grand for years now

Hmm, its interesting to note that so far only 2 out of 22 voters answered that they have never suffered depression for sure; why is everybody so unhappy in this day and age! We have the best lives of any people to have ever lived (excluding a very, very small minority, for example the multi-millionaires in the states....actually, now that I think of it, a lot of them are on drugs and stuff aswell because they arn't happy!!:confused: )

Hmm, its interesting to note that so far only 2 out of 17 voters answered that they have never suffered depression for sure; why is everybody so unhappy in this day and age! We have the best lives of any people to have ever lived (excluding a very, very small minority, for example the multi-millionaires in the states....actually, now that I think of it, a lot of them are on drugs and stuff aswell because they arn't happy!!:confused: )

Living in a wealthy, first world country doesn't guarantee happiness. Just because someone might be physically healthy and quite well-off doesn't mean that their mental health is going to be perfect.
    Good standrd of living does not equal a good life. People are unhappy for several different reasons - I could list off lots of things that I think are **** in my life right now if I wanted to. I am very fortunate to not be starving or poor, and I acknowledge that, but that doesn't mean I'm happy all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Hmm, its interesting to note that so far only 2 out of 22 voters answered that they have never suffered depression for sure; why is everybody so unhappy in this day and age! We have the best lives of any people to have ever lived (excluding a very, very small minority, for example the multi-millionaires in the states....actually, now that I think of it, a lot of them are on drugs and stuff aswell because they arn't happy!!:confused: )

tbh I think most people dont understand proper depression so they just presumed the last time they were upset over something they were depressed, probably myself included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Was treated for it for a year when I was a teenager, but suffered from it for a lot longer.

wylo wrote: »
    tbh I think most people dont understand proper depression so they just presumed the last time they were upset over something they were depressed, probably myself included

That's why I voted "maybe". It's difficult to state exactly what qualifies as depression and what doesn't.

That's why I voted "maybe". It's difficult to state exactly what qualifies as depression and what doesn't.

I think a lot of the time its the inability to respond positively (or as positively as you once did) to situations or things that you once considered, well, good!
    Anhedonia is the correct term for it afaik, the inability to experience pleasure. For example, a person having a rough week with college or a break-up or work might think that they are depressed; but if somebody offered them a cheque for a thousand euro, or a new car, their mood would probably pick up right away and they would at least temporarily forget what was troubling them and feel happy. With a depressed person, the money and car would do little or nothing to change their despondant or apathetic outlook on life; they cannot simply will themselves to snap out of their state of misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Nope never.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i was depressed before then i stopped voting for the progressive democrats...

Fine ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

It's embarrassing to see how many people actually think they suffer from depression. It's a serious illness. "omg like i have no one to bring 2 d debs" is not depression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Newaglish wrote: »
    It's embarrassing to see how many people actually think they suffer from depression. It's a serious illness. "omg like i have no one to bring 2 d debs" is not depression.
    I agree with ya on that one.
    I am suffering from depression and agoraphobia since I been 12. Well agoraphobia started when I was 12-13 the depression is longer.
    I would go into it but I rather not. Search some of me posts if ya want.
    I cant stand the emo people that get upset cos daddy wont insure their brand new car .
    I have suffered it for years and I would not wish it on anyone but I am starting slowly to get over it I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

In the Third Wold the more worrying about the bottom two levels, being in a First World country, I worry about the top three thus making me more suceptible to "depression".

http://nodearth.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/maslow-pyramid.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yes. It's a "girl thing" in our family-- as in, every female (that I've known, so grandmother, mother, and two aunts) has to deal with it on a clinical level. Every woman in my family is on medication save myself. I've always refused meds, and mostly deal with it on my own, though it can be ridiculously hard sometimes. I manage. I was worse off when I was younger, but I feel it creeping back once in awhile.

It's something I'll never be 100% fully away from. It's at the point where I literally can't experience extreme happiness or excitement, but I damn well can experience full anger and sadness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Just curious as to approximately what percentage of people on here can safely say they have never suffered from depression.
    It seems these days everybody knows people taking pills for it and what not. .

yep I have suffered depression for 5 years or maybe more i dont really know. What I do know is that the tablets are like a crutch walking stick... You need to talk about your problems to deal with your demons
    It strikes me as a bit counterintuitive that in a country with adequate food, water, healthcare (in fairness, we have), opportunities to succeed, no massive problems with poverty (not counting the homeless, seeing as nobody on these boards are homeless...surely) that people can get to the stage that life seems extraordinairily difficult and pointless. Surely not having food, water etc would be the most depressing thing that could happen to a person and yet I doubt people who live with those problems in other parts of the world would even consider feelings of hoplessness and depression an illness.

I dont think you have any idea on what your talking about to be perfectly honest.

You suffer from depression and then make up your own mind, because its the most awfull feeling in the world first time in 6 years I wake up HAPPY, and im going to have to listen to some idealist come at me with that crap?...

Seriously your post is just touching the mark, you get bullied kicked to the ground, humiliated buy a teacher at the age of 13.... in front of a hole class evereyday i tell you what mate, that does something to your self isteam self confidance It changes you for a very long time... Depression is caused bye pain horrible pain it tares you apart inside you develop a huge inner critical way, you knock your self for saying anything stupid, on the out side people can appear to be happy go lucky on in the inside the climbing the walls of desperation unhappyness searching for a way out...

You have no ****ing idea what your talking about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I went through the typical few horrible months when I was 17. No one ever knew and as such it went on a lot longer then it should of. Funnily enough it was the end of my leaving cert and te start of a part time job in a steel workshop in darndale(next door to a meth clinic of all places) that got me out of the slump. Some of the nicest people I have ever met have been the lads in that horrible little workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont know...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Without going into more discussion on a subject I personally have not experienced but with which I am very familiar from listening to others, can I just say that I think one of the most important things for anyone suffering any form of depression be it mild, acute, clinical or even 'feeling low' as some people put it, is to not let it fester, share with someone you trust as soon as the symptoms arise, be aware that it does not have to last, responds well to the the correct therapy, awareness groups, personal councelling etc. Drugs alone are not the answer and often serve to mask the cause and prevent one from confronting it and seeking complimentary treatments. Keeping it to oneself is probably the worst. So easy to say I know especially for those who find it difficult to communicate their feelings to others, but even a call to 'Aware' where you will be listened to and put in the direction of the correct form of support will be a huge step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Surely not having food, water etc would be the most depressing thing that could happen to a person and yet I doubt people who live with those problems in other parts of the world would even consider feelings of hoplessness and depression an illness.

You have very clearly, no understanding whatsoever what depression is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mmmdee

Depression is a misunderstood topic among a lot of people. If you think you may be suffering from it then seek professional help, initially from your doctor.

Your doctor will then be able to determine if it's a normal life-experience depression such as 'I might lose my job' or 'I have no dress for the debs', or whether it is a deep-rooted depression that may need treatment in the form of counselling, or medicinal, or both.

Can I recommend a book - I HAD A BLACK DOG By Matthew Johnstone, ISBN 0330421832. It's a very simple book that upon reading will allow you to see what depression is, either in yourself, or in others. It takes about 10 minutes to read and describes in a few pages what exactly depression is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been blue, under the weather and down in the dumps but never depressed. Still like emo music though.

Advertisement