Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever/ do you suffer(ed) from depression!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I've been depressed for the past 13 (maybe more) years(also I'm only 24), at this stage I don't care what makes me better, I'll take/do whatever the doctors want me to. Since my friend died I have been alot worse, I can't seem to function properly, I don't have a job and can't get one (who would want to hire someone whos miserable), cleaning up is really difficult too. That one sounded stupid when I was typing it but it just overwhelms me and then I end up having (as Stephen Fry put it) a tourettes view of myself.

I would have thought depression is really common. Most the people I know have had it then again most the people I know have had someone close to them die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

KStaford wrote: »
    Hi OP

Depression is really an illness that can not really be quantified by your yard sticks. It is irrelevant that we have healthcare, work, food etc. Depression at a chemical level, is about depleated serotonin and odd levels of dopomine in the brain. At a psychological level, it can be caused by a lack of vitamin D (lack of sunshine). Alcohol is a major contributor as it affects the chemical balances I speak of above and then there is the fact that a lot of people have some unresolved hurt or sadness in their lives. This will often be a deep rooted cause for drinking/drugging etc. Irish people in particular are emmotionally insecure and not very good at expressing themselves socially. This too can lead to a sense of isolation and a feeling that there is no one to talk to about an issue or just about reality. It is unsurprising to me that many people in the western world (not just Ireland) are depressed these days. Unfortunately, many are put on pills when waht they really need is group / talk therapy, exercise, diet and a new life. Pills are required by some but in reality unfortunately they are severly over prescribed by medical practitioners.

What you refer to above is the bottom rung of Maslow's hierarchy of needs (shelter, security). These are the basics required for survival but as you travel upwards along the hierarchy, Maslow identifies things such as love, belonging, esteem, experience, purpose etc as being of far greater importace to humans than the things you mention.

Just to add to this...

The words "I'm depressed" are bandied about far too casually.

Depression is an illness, not just a state of mind. Some people, when something bad happens them, claim to be depressed when in actual fact they are just pissed off. There's a difference.

As alluded to in the post I've quoted, all the benefits, money, healthcare in the world do not guarantee protection from depression. Because it is an illness, to suggest that such benefits should protect one from depression is the same as suggesting the same things should guarantee protection against cancer. They don't.

And drugs, change of diet, excessive alcohol use, a distressing episode etc are not necessarily needed for somone to develop depression. Depression, like any illness can occur for no apparent reason at all.

I think the most difficult hurdle that people suffering from depression have to meet, besides the horrible experience of dealing with the illness itself, is the social stigma attached to it. Perhaps this is to do with the fact that in the past, such people were deemed to be crazy and locked up with other mental illness patients. However, the main reason, in my opinion, is that no physical wounds are apparent. They cannot put plaster of paris on the mind to make it heal.

Remember, just because you don't see a cast on the person's head, doesn't mean their illness warrants less respect than any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If you take the meaning out of people life's than they cease to have a goal .If a person loses their job which is the means on which their whole family stucture is based, then a spiral into depression can and does take hold .The feeling of not being in control or having as much say and freedom of choice in your life as you once did can be the trigger. That's not to say people who are working away dont get depressed to ,of course not .But their busy job or career no matter how stressful, allows them to focus ahead and doesn't allow much time to be depressed . This of course is only one other type scenario .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Yep - i've had it..

Had your token crap childhood and a few other things thrown into the mix. It was inevitable that it was gonna happen to me. I was very very bad by the time I did something about it.

I was on meds and in counselling for 1.5 - 2 years. I have my life back and I actually want to live now.

The stigma of mental ilness is a disgrace in my opinion and i'm delighted that there is a thread about this here. Also, the poll speaks volumes. Lots of people who have depression think they're the only one so this thread is a blessing.

To anyone reading that feels they may be depressed - its can be a difficult journey but with proper help, you'll be alright. In fact, in my experience, I am now the happiest i've ever been. Like I said, it was inevitable that it was gonna happen to me so im glad it happed when I was younger. Of course, im also glad its over.

I now have a happy life, great family and friends, a wonderful boyfriend and a near constant smile on my face.

The pain of depression is worth the life I have now.

Best of luck to anyone going through it at the moment. Sorry for the ultra soppy post but its a matter close to my heart.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I've suffered from it in the past and am on medication. Thats all I have to say really. Don't really feel like discussing it any more on an internet forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

When I went to the hospital (thinking I was having a heart attack, lol) the doc told me what had happened and I felt more embarrassed than I ever had been before.
    Thats how I found out too :o I thought I was having a stroke, and went to the A&E. I thought it was a piss take when the doctor just told me to sit in the corner for a while, nobody seem to be taking it seriously! that made it worse, and I eventually passed out. When I came to, everybody was going on as normal, I was so angry. When the doctor came back, I told him I blacked out he just said 'I know thats the best thing for it'. He asked if I had suffered from depression before, and I told him it comes and goes. Apparently they are linked to depression. He gave me a few pointers before I left, on how to deal with them. I still do get them, but know how to stop it from turning into a full blown attack.
    Telling my mates that I had an anxiety attack was hard tbh because of the stigma around mental health, but they were cool about it.
    I found it hard to tell anybody, because as frightening as they are - nobody seems to understand how scary it is / how much it hurts (like a stroke). I get so annoyed when somebody uses the word so flippantly.

But if you've ever had one before, you may suffer one again. Its your bodies chosen way of dealing with stress.

* Always keep a paper bag in the house

* Entirely cover your mouth and nose, so no oxeg€n can get into the bag

* Spend as long as it takes for the pain to subside

* Watch for the symptoms you had before the last attack, and go straight for your paper bag before it turns into a full attack. I usually start to get stiff and sore around the neck and shoulders before it starts across the chest.

Over-breathing causes too panic attacks, and the problem is there is too much oxeg€n in your blood. The point of the paper bag is restrict your oxeg€n intake.

Sorry about the long post, but ^^ that is pretty handy to know if you have / may ever get an attack! :pac:

Abigayle wrote: »

I found it hard to tell anybody, because as frightening as they are - nobody seems to understand how scary it is / how much it hurts (like a stroke). I get so annoyed when somebody uses the word so flippantly.

But if you've ever had one before, you may suffer one again. Its your bodies chosen way of dealing with stress.
    A1 and great advice Abie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Thanks everybody for the replies so far. I should point out that I realy am not one of the "oh cheer up" brigade, sorry if I came across as that! If people feel the need to speak about anything I think they always should like, bottling things up doesnt help anybody after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

KStaford wrote: »
    Bear in mind that there is no "happy life". There is no constant state of euphoria. A lot of people spend a lot of energy looking for this. In reality life is up and down. Its happy, sad, exciting, dull, scary, exhilerating, depressing, boring etc etc and thats pretty normal. Thats the way it is for most and thats the way it should be. Dont waste your time looking for some nirvana that just dont exist.

Have to disagree here, ive never been close to anything that can be called depression, life isnt sad, sad is a relative term , everyone on boards has it better than an awful lot of people in the world, theres no need to be sad/depressed when we have so much, I would consider my life a happy life im not saying people dont have depression, it is a real condition, but denying that somebody can live a life and just be happy is just as bad as saying nobodys really depressed

I have suffered from very severe depression. Infact, I lost my job because of it last year (although I hated my job which only added to my illness)

I've had depressive tendencies since I was very very young, I got bullied in school, I have great parents but I realise now that they are such perfectionists that it probably put pressure on me (no direct pressure) to always be the best, which in itself is a huge responsibility, and worse still when you're not the best at things!!! My dad spent time in St John of Gods for depression too. My mum has always suffered from her nerves and worries about everything.

I worry constantly that I'm not good enough, even though, if you met me you would think I am the most confident person alive and I love to laugh and seem like a very happy person all the time but once I stop and start think about anything, I overthink it and then worry about it. I suffered insomnia for about a year which was just horrible. Thankfully I've never suffered from agoraphobia but I did find it hard to get out of bed in the mornings, fortunately I had no choice as I had a daughter to drop to school. Once I had left the house though I didn't want to go back to it as then I would be alone with my thoughts!

I think what was hardest for me was that I have been through quite a "tragic" event and felt I couldn't break down in front of people so they all thought I was "so strong" and "amazing" when really my insides hurt but I couldn't let anyone see I wasn't as great as they thought so I hid it away from the world!

Thank god I have come out the other side of it alive and very very happy. I still have bad days but as I said to my husband last week, the bad days remind me of how lucky I am that it is only the odd day and not 24/7.

I really think that it's almost impossible to even have an inkling of what depression is like until you go through it which is why I would never get angry at anyone being a bit ignorant on the subject as it's not comprehensible to someone who is happy most of the time!!

Re statistics, according to aware.ie who I'm running the mini marathon for btw!!! 400,000 people in Ireland suffer from depression at any one time which equates to approx 1 in 10 (I think!)

• Advertisement

A lot of people choose to write about their depressive expierences in poems and song which is why music can and does play a big part in people lives, by helping them express themselfs .As long as we can ( or try ) allow the positives in our lifes to outweigh the negitives and get a balance and perspective ,then we can have some control .But life never was and never will be a bed of roses .Just by typing stufff down as we do helps .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Disease Ridden, seriously, cop on. It's an illness (like a physical illness), it's not "feeling blue" - people with seemingly wonderful lives have killed themselves because of depression. Some of the funniest, happiest acting people you could meet... have depression. Abigayle here for one. And Terry (emphasis more on "funniest" ;)). Numbers only appear high because people aren't afraid to admit to it nowadays. And back in the day, people thought they were adopting a "just get on with it" strategy, but they weren't really - they were self-medicating with drink, and it was manifesting itself in other ways - e.g. through violence.

Of course though, depression can actually be caused by circumstances, environment - e.g. bereavement, abuse, a relationship ending, redundancy - but sometimes there's no reason, a person can simply just have it due to hormones, brain chemicals etc.

Yes, I had depression throughout my teens - it was more than likely hormonal, because since leaving my teens, it's finito (save for a bit of anxiety now and again, but exercise and positive thinking knocks that bad boy on the head).
    I can pretty much pinpoint when it started - I was 12 and a half. I went from happy, typical 12-year-old girl, obsessed with clothes, pop music, being old enough to wear make-up, pretty trinkets for my Laura Ashley room, Jackie magazine... to sullen 12-going-on-13-year-old girl wearing only dark, baggy clothes, listening to gloomy indie, becoming disinterested in most stuff, withdrawn, despondent, apathetic, lazy, unmotivated, lethargic.
    Obviously, to an outsider it was going to look like typical self-indulgent teenage carry-on but it really wasn't. A huge involuntary change had occurred in me overnight - I felt it, and despite my seemingly couldn't-care-less attitude, I secretly wondered what the **** was wrong with me.

Mine wasn't that serious though and I'm glad, in a way, that I experienced it because it's given me an understanding of such a common illness.

I wonder when a bunch of ****ing ***** (who have never had depression) will come along and say "it's all in the head" etc. Because they will...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Thankfully I have never had depression, but I know a lot of people who have/had it.

I don't believe it has anything to do with standard of living. Two of my friends who are very successful in their professions are on depression medication. For them, it's not about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I have never suffered from depression, but I knew of someone who did.

Don't think you can truly understand what they are going through, all you can do is be there for them.

To all the people here slating me saying "you dont understand", I actually do understand what depression is like; I know for a fact that I've had it for the past year or so, but in the last week or so I can feel it lifting. All I'm doing is questioning how people, myself included, can feel that way despite the fact that, on the face of it, our lives are better than those nearly any other person has ever lived. And where people will jump in here, saying depression results from a "chemical imbalance" I say "I know, but that imbalance arises out of continous negative thoughts and stress"...I can guarantee you that if a person from a third world country was put into any of our shoes they would much better get on with things, seeing as they realise that the things that stress us out are laughable when looked at closely. Our lives are brilliant compared to most in fairness, even most depressed people should be able to admit that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

How can you know I don't; perhaps I'm just trying to assess the situation from a rational point of view? If I felt I was suffering from depression I'd have to ask myself "how can that be the case, given that there is nothing in my life that is a genuine threat or danger to my well being or survival, as is the case with many people in the world". From the perspective of people living in much worse conditions, surely we have much to be content about?...And I don't just mean the basics of survival, we have enough money to go out and have fun (every now and again), raise children knowing that they will most certainly survive in the world and many other things that arn't available to lots of people in the world.
    Look, I've had a good few setbacks myself, felt unreal miserable for a few years. Still do some days. But I never got treatment for it because I couldnt accept that my situations in life were bad enough to warrent treatment. They shouldnt be. I might be coming across that I dont know what depression is but that's just because I'm trying to look at it in a rational light; maybe too rational.
    To all the people here slating me saying "you dont understand", I actually do understand what depression is like; I know for a fact that I've had it for the past year or so, but in the last week or so I can feel it lifting. All I'm doing is questioning how people, myself included, can feel that way despite the fact that, on the face of it, our lives are better than those nearly any other person has ever lived. And where people will jump in here, saying depression results from a "chemical imbalance" I say "I know, but that imbalance arises out of continous negative thoughts and stress"...I can guarantee you that if a person from a third world country was put into any of our shoes they would much better get on with things, seeing as they realise that the things that stress us out are laughable when looked at closely. Our lives are brilliant compared to most in fairness, even most depressed people should be able to admit that.

I'm a post-graduate psychology student in Trinity who is being treated for clinical depression, and I can tell you with 100% confidence that I know that you know absolutely fuck all about depression. Not a single damned thing. And if you would care to discuss this matter "rationally", I suggest you go do some real damned research rather than using the result of a poll on a single thread on an internet forum. Until then, stfu.

The thing that pissed me off most when I was diagnosed was that "ah cheer up, it could be worse, there are plenty of people worse off than you" crap that people who are utterly uninformed on the subject of depression come out with. Do you tell people who broke a leg to look at paraplegics and feel better about themselves? It is a medical illness, and one that is woefully misunderstood in this country.

For anybody in this thread who is thinking they might have had depression, you didn't. If you had real depression you would know it. This isn't meant to sound like a "you don't know what it's like" attempt at garering some sympathy or something, but real depression isn't just feeling down or a bit sad for a while, it's a living hell, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

TL : DR synopsis:

op is wrong and depression is bad

It's an illness, over which you don't have control - like glandular fever... how is that so difficult to comprehend? Brilliant lives - irrelevant. People in third world countries getting on with it - so what? They might still have depression, they may still be killing themselves. Plenty of people get on with it here too when they have depression, because they have to - e.g. women with postnatal depression.

I can guarantee you that if a person from a third world country was put into any of our shoes they would much better get on with things, seeing as they realise that the things that stress us out are laughable when looked at closely. Our lives are brilliant compared to most in fairness, even most depressed people should be able to admit that.

Ok, I was saying, if you don't understand it's not your fault etc etc but this statement has angered me greatly. You have no idea what peoples lives have been like, no idea whatsoever.

orestes wrote: »
    I'm a post-graduate psychology student in Trinity who is being treated for clinical depression, and I can tell you with 100% confidence that I know that you know absolutely fuck all about depression. Not a single damned thing. And if you would care to discuss this matter "rationally", I suggest you go do some real damned research rather than using the result of a poll on a single thread on an internet forum. Until then, stfu.

This infuriates me to be honest; have a bit of courtesy. I didnt start the thread to slate anybody, I'm just asking a question.

This infuriates me to be honest; have a bit of courtesy. I didnt start the thread to slate anybody, I'm just asking a question.

And ignorance infuriates me. If you want a question answered, do the research. Until then, quit talking uninformed idealistic shite

• Advertisement

Ok, I was saying, if you don't understand it's not your fault etc etc but this statement has angered me greatly. You have no idea what peoples lives have been like, no idea whatsoever.

Well I'm sorry. It is impossible for me to know the individual circumstances of everybody and I'm quite sure that lots of you have had tragic episodes in youser lives, but I stand by my statement that we live a life of luxury compared to the rest of the world. Next, cue somebody saying "it dosent matter how much you have, you can still get depressed"...I KNOW...but shouldnt having these things allow people a greater chance at not having depression than not having them would? I know that if I lived in a country where my family were dying before my eyes of diseases or starvation I would be infuriated looking at the western world with half the population complaining about depression while they have enough to eat etc. Again, I know that I've had depression in the last year and to be honest it really does make me feel guilty about feeling ungrateful about living here with so much oppurtunity etc.

Yes, but the way you're wondering how so many of us are/have been depressed in recent years, when life's been so good, indicates you really don't know what you're talking about. It doesn't matter how good life is.

Do you know that, according to studies, during war-time, rates of suicide actually drop? Now how is this the case when life is so harsh? The theory is that war bonds people, makes them rally together, so people are less lonely.

And then there are people who have lived through absolute horror and it just makes them stronger, more resolute and more eager to grab life by the throat and be ultra positive - yet surely they'd be among the ultimate candidates for depression/suicide?

Things aren't always as they seem.

Well I'm sorry. It is impossible for me to know the individual circumstances of everybody and I'm quite sure that lots of you have had tragic episodes in youser lives, but I stand by my statement that we live a life of luxury compared to the rest of the world.................
    but shouldnt having these things allow people a greater chance at not having depression than not having them would?

No. If that's your only question then the answer is a definitive NO.

have a nice day.

And ignorance infuriates me. If you want a question answered, do the research. Until then, quit talking uninformed idealistic shite

Then please point out where I say something wrong and correct me; dont use your moderator privelages to try to make me look like an idiot; because I assure you I am not.

Oh believe me, if I or orestes insult you (and I'm desperately trying not to) we'll get banned from After Hours, possibly by Terry, a man who has had serious depression. So lose the paranoia about "moderator privileges" :rolleyes: Orestes does not moderate After Hours, nor is he "in cahoots" with the After Hours mods.
    And you've had it pointed out to you repeatedly where you've said something wrong.
    but shouldnt having these things allow people a greater chance at not having depression than not having them would?
    Not necessarily. Does wealth decrease a person's chances of developing cystic fibrosis? No, it's genetic, as is often the case with depression. I use that analogy because mental illness can be comfortably compared to physical illness. In fact I think an awareness campaign doing that very thing might get the point across.
    I know that if I lived in a country where my family were dying before my eyes of diseases or starvation I would be infuriated looking at the western world with half the population complaining about depression while they have enough to eat etc.
    Christ, will you ever get a grip?! :mad:
    If people have depression, they have depression. A person saying (not complaining) they have depression, in the same way as a person saying they have cancer, is not disrespecting those who are starving around the world.
    Again, I know that I've had depression in the last year
    I very much doubt it - you don't even understand what it is. You think it's moaning and complaining instead of being grateful for what you have.
    and to be honest it really does make me feel ungrateful about living here with so much oppurtunity etc.
    Pretty much a confirmation that you HAVEN'T had clinical depression.

Then please point out where I say something wrong and correct me; dont use your moderator privelages to try to make me look like an idiot; because I assure you I am not.

I am not a moderator on this forum, I am a user here like anyone else. How's that for pointing out where you are wrong? I don't have to try and make you look like an idiot, you're doing a fine job of it all on your own.

Dudess wrote: »
    Yes, but the way you're wondering how so many of us are/have been depressed in recent years, when life's been so good, indicates you really don't know what you're talking about. It doesn't matter how good life is.

Do you know that, according to studies, during war-time, rates of suicide actually drop? Now how is this the case when life is so harsh? The theory is that war bonds people, makes them rally together, so people are less lonely.

And then there are people who have lived through absolute horror and it just makes them stronger, more resolute and more eager to grab life by the throat and be ultra positive - yet surely they'd be among the ultimate candidates for depression/suicide?

Things aren't always as they seem.

There was also a spike in suicides during the Great Depression in America. And yes, I've heard about the wartime drop in suicde rates; I would have put this down simply to the fact that young men (who make up a large percentage of the suicide commiting population) are being kept busy, and have a goal namely. they are out fighting a common enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I can tell you with 100% confidence that I know that you know absolutely fuck all about depression. Not a single damned thing. And if you would care to discuss this matter "rationally", I suggest you go do some real damned research rather than using the result of a poll on a single thread on an internet forum. Until then, stfu.

Cool it a little please.

Like I said Dudess, I'm on the up at the minute; made a very big life decision over the last while that was crushing down on me for ages, pummeling me to the ground...robbed me of the last year to be frank. I've had the very real inability to concentrate or apply myself to my college work where I once fcuking excelled, inability to enjoy life, no appetite, suicide iddeation, zero interest in anything, memory loss, an uttery bleak outlook....I swear I have had it. And yes your right, when you're suffering from it you dont care if somebody is worse off than you; it doesnt alleviate your depression...I wont continue because I've already made enemies of enough of yas!! I was just trying to get a debate started as to WHY its the case that having material wealth, collectively, dosent reduce depression levels in a populaton...all I've got is a confirmation by everyone that it simply doesn't.

• Advertisement

But saying you feel ungrateful is balderdash - it implies a person has control over getting the illness. Studies have actually shown that telling people with depression to remember how badly off other people are, only compounds the illness because it leads to feelings of guilt.

Advertisement