Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever/ do you suffer(ed) from depression!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Depression as a mood disorder, or some other condition defined by DSM IV? Source: http://www.mental-health-today.com/dep/dsm.htm

Other than this severe clinical condition, I would assume that all humans feel depressed during the course of their lives, consequently your question is moot for most? (and my java is very strong and I've drank way too much!:eek:)

I don't think thats intirely true, regarless of what some phcoligist says. experiences in life can make you depressed.
    Being bullied having an abusive partner or loss of a loved one are all grounds to suffer from depression but look at drug adiction is a direct link to depression in some case's...
    I look at things and see this when i think about depression.
    Its like being stuck in a hoel with no way out and the more you try to fight the feeling the deeper you get and the more anxed up feelings you get...

My councilor says and i beleave him it like being stuck in a room thats caving in the longer you don't discuss your feelings the worse you get its being unable to display emotion's or talk to some one.. Things begin to get weighted and and weigh you down making you more feel worse because you have no way to conduct what your feeling, or talk about what you feel... you feel bugging people with your problems etc is a waste of time and they dont want to hear it . which then begins to chip away your confidence, self esteam, self worth and everything that you once saw good in you starts to dissapear and all you see is a negitive side affect.. Then at that point you start to critcise your self, harshly..

After that its down hill, for 5 years you may not do much in your life then one day you take things into your control and run searching for happiness instead of searching inside, for your happiness.

At which point you might only last 2 years with that menlte mind set before it gets taken away from you ...

and then those feelings come flooding back one buy one.

what i can say is this depression is a state of mind, braught on bye events in your past which have led you to the day where you one day question your self and say am I really worth being on this world ?

It came to me more then once odly some one who beleaved in me came to my mind which then put things in perspective at that time...

but the answer is, tis depression is booth a mentle health problem and the horrible experiences that some of us have had to indure....
    why do we have to endure it ?
    I dunno but people rage on about hitler and sadam woosane and this evil person and that evil person but shore half the population are just as bad but because they hurt one person to most thats exceptible...

The thing people with depression have to remember is that people do care about them and bye hurting them selves you hurt other's to.....
    Which can affect them just like you have felt...

and some times you don't even need some one help fix your problems because bye talking about them you figure them out your self...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

amacachi wrote: »
    Did you find that they had a certain effectiveness much quicker than the 6-8 weeks? Despite being told that I've twice gone on them and felt a lot better within 3 weeks and stopped taking them after 6. Course a month later I'm back to square one or below.

No I dont find they work that quickly. It takes the average person that long to feel a little better, but they do say it may take a little longer. Its more to the tune of 4mths for me tbph.

Just a point on yourself, you arent supposed to just come back off them at will. There is a weaning off process first, thats probably why you keep going back to square one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

This disease is so damn misunderstood, makes me mad and upset in the one breath. My life would be so different if others understood, I've come a long way though. Thanks for the help and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Abigayle wrote: »
    No I dont find they work that quickly. It takes the average person that long to feel a little better, but they do say it may take a little longer. Its more to the tune of 4mths for me tbph.

Just a point on yourself, you arent supposed to just come back off them at will. There is a weaning off process first, thats probably why you keep going back to square one! :)

Yeah I know that, it's feckin daft. Usually for about a month without I feel OK then crash. Ah well, back to the start. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

... It takes 6-8 weeks for SSRI's to begin to work effectively, and you generally receive your first counselling session after 4wks. But a GP will only prescribe you the initial course, and write you a referral letter, from then on it is the mental health clinic that prescribes your medicine.

That's not true.

SSRI's begin to work after 7 days and should be effective after 14.

Of course your GP will prescribe SSRI's after a "course", if they deem it necessary. I've been taking them for years, and have never been referred to a "Mental Health Clinic".

The "Mental Health Clinic" have bigger fish to fry. If your lucky/unlucky you'll get a referral, but it's certainly not a given. Counseling costs alot more money than pills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Not really no. Considering Im both on medication and in receipt of conselling no, I feel a lot better for it. The doctors will encourage them, because it is their business to learn about them, and how they can help.

What natural methods do you use? Im curious because, I've used relaxation techniques and non-prescription, to no avail.

Transcendental Meditation has shown to be very effective

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

There are varying degrees of depression that cannot be summed up as one particular illness. There are also different causes or triggers. Drugs dont numb they create a balance or mood stabilizer and different drugs react differently with many people - the time they take to 'work'.

Just a few points I had to add to the mix!

That's not true.

SSRI's begin to work after 7 days and should be effective after 14.
    That goes against everything I've ever been told by doctors - for the last 8 years. Where did you get the info from?

The "Mental Health Clinic" have bigger fish to fry. If your lucky/unlucky you'll get a referral, but it's certainly not a given. Counseling costs alot more money than pills.

As a frequent patient to a mental health clinic, and on occasion an outpatient at an institute, I beg to differ. It is strongly advised to receive counselling while on medication for depression.

As I said, your quote goes completely against what I've been advised. If you know of something I havent yet heard - can you provide a link? These are drugs Im on, so I'd like to keep up to scratch with this stuff :)

That goes against everything I've ever been told by doctors - for the last 8 years. Where did you get the info from?

The leaflet in my own pills, which I've been taking for 8 years.
    As a frequent patient to a mental health clinic, and on occasion an outpatient at an institute, I beg to differ. It is strongly advised to receive counselling while on medication for depression.

As I said, your quote goes completely against what I've been advised. If you know of something I havent yet heard - can you provide a link? These are drugs Im on, so I'd like to keep up to scratch with this stuff :)

Your point was, that ADs would not be prescribed after the initial prescription, that referral to a mental health unit would be required.

That is not true.

I just worry that people reading this thread will think "Sh*t, if I go to the doctors about this, I'm going to end up a "mental patient".

It's quite common to suffer depression (big wuss's that we are:pac:) and we just have to crack on and deal with it.

The leaflet in my own pills, which I've been taking for 8 years.

Would you mind terribly PM'ing the name of these? Because I intend to confront my GP and counciller if that is the case.
    Your point was, that ADs would not be prescribed after the initial prescription, that referral to a mental health unit would be required.

That is not true.

Well I can only state what I've been told. I have seen several GP's in my local medical centre individually. But they all seem to share the same opinion.

Firstly SSRI's will not add anything to a body that doesnt need it.

Secondly, every single time I've gone to a GP advising that I've had a bit of a dip - I was prescribed 1mth only of an SSRI, and a referral letter for the regional mental health clinic.

Thirdly - This was not because my personal problems displayed more of an urgency. It is because GP's believe it is not their field. They can only initially administer drugs, because the very nature of depression may lead to suicide tendancies.
    I just worry that people reading this thread will think "Sh*t, if I go to the doctors about this, I'm going to end up a "mental patient".
    Now, this is interesting, because you've used the words in inverted commas.. being a "mental patient" is not something to be ashamed of in my book. You are sadly re-inforcing the misunderstand that "mental patients" froth at the mouth and speak gibberish.

THIS is not true.

I'm not ashamed. Do you think the girl in my sig is just some sort of handle? It isnt. I make no boned about it in my real life, and in fact I WEAR it. Anybody that choose to be ignorant about it, I feel sorry for.
    It's quite common to suffer depression (big wuss's that we are:pac:) and we just have to crack on and deal with it.
    This is the truest thing you've said yet. You just have to try. Some dont make it. Recently a single mother in my read tried to commit suicide by jumping in front of a train. She survived, now with no legs. Shes in a mental institute now, with her baby son in care. She tried to kill herself because she lost her job. She didnt go to her GP.

GP's cannot afford to take the risk of not giving initial mediacation to a patient.

• Advertisement

Would you mind terribly PM'ing the name of these? Because I intend to confront my GP and counciller if that is the case.

20mg Citalopram daily. For 8 years.

Well I can only state what I've been told. I have seen several GP's in my local medical centre individually. But they all seem to share the same opinion.

The care you have received is different to any that I have received in different counties of Ireland, and in the UK. I have heard GPs giving the odd mention of counselling but certainly not insisting on it.
    Firstly SSRI's will not add anything to a body that doesnt need it.

I agree.
    Secondly, every single time I've gone to a GP advising that I've had a bit of a dip - I was prescribed 1mth only of an SSRI, and a referral letter for the regional mental health clinic.

I guess our "depressions" are different. I have never encountered this. I usually get a prescription for three months.
    Thirdly - This was not because my personal problems displayed more of an urgency. It is because GP's believe it is not their field. They can only initially administer drugs, because the very nature of depression may lead to suicide tendancies.

That is certainly not true of all GPs.
    Now, this is interesting, because you've used the words in inverted commas.. being a "mental patient" is not something to be ashamed of in my book. You are sadly reinforcing the misunderstand that "mental patients" froth at the mouth and speak gibberish.

You know what I was alluding to here. The AHer's who think like that. There is a stigmatism to the term, and threads like this will help to remove that, but I wanted to add my experience of the system - which differs from yours.

(Hope your well at the mo though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i suffered badly from depression for a few months in 1999 , it was triggered by a particular event and a particular individual but was the culmination of various things over a number of years

while i dont suffer from it now , i was never ever the same since depression 1st touched me and i dont believe anyone ever is the same after depression enters thier lives , it leaves a permanent imprint ( scar) on your mind and thier is absolutley no upside to it but i suppose thats a pretty obvious one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jesus, OK it could maybe argued it's a particular demographic and I have heard the one in four people line, but fúck me there's a lot of depression about judging by the poll. Big eye opener for me, though contradicting myself somewhat, not a shock. While I do agree there are genetic/biological tendencies, it seems to be growing as an illness, not receding. Given we have more techiniques, more shrinks of various hues and more medication not open to us before, one would think the incidence would decrease. Damn near every other disease you can think of with an increase in resources a concomitant decrease in incidence would be expected.:confused:

There have been one or two studies that depression is much rarer among more primitive cultures. That interests me in that it may show a mechanism that we may be able to reduce the number presenting in the first place. IMHO when it gets to the point of presentation to a medical professional the tipping point of it being "just" a mental process to where it's a biological/biochemical change in brain structure has already been reached. If we could figure a simple test to catch it before that point? Again back to primitive societies, is it diet or more likely more stable social structures in place in such societies? Societies like that can be highly stressful from death and disease, so it doesn't seem to be that. If I was in the field I would defo be aiming my research less on societies that suffer more from it and looking at societies that suffer much less.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blue196

I look at things and see this when i think about depression.
    Its like being stuck in a hoel with no way out and the more you try to fight the feeling the deeper you get and the more anxed up feelings you get...

My councilor says and i beleave him it like being stuck in a room thats caving in the longer you don't discuss your feelings the worse you get its being unable to display emotion's or talk to some one.. Things begin to get weighted and and weigh you down making you more feel worse because you have no way to conduct what your feeling, or talk about what you feel... you feel bugging people with your problems etc is a waste of time and they dont want to hear it . which then begins to chip away your confidence, self esteam, self worth and everything that you once saw good in you starts to dissapear and all you see is a negitive side affect.. Then at that point you start to critcise your self, harshly..

After that its down hill, for 5 years you may not do much in your life then one day you take things into your control and run searching for happiness instead of searching inside, for your happiness.

The first paragagraph describes how i am at the moment. I'd describe it as being like a bird in a cage. The cage has bars but every day they're growing closer together till almost all light is gone.
    How can this cycle be broken? I'm going for counselling but it's not stopping those bars from moving ever closer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

irish_bob wrote: »
    while i dont suffer from it now , i was never ever the same since depression 1st touched me and i dont believe anyone ever is the same after depression enters thier lives , it leaves a permanent imprint ( scar) on your mind and thier is absolutley no upside to it but i suppose thats a pretty obvious one

I know what you mean. I've suffered from depression on and off for 11 years and even when I'm in one of my happier phases I can always still feel it at the back of my mind, waiting to pounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭iDontReallyCare

I suffer from induced saddness, as I like to call it.

It is my call.

20mg ****** daily. For 8 years.
    I've deleted that out. Its your business, thats why I ask for a pm. dont want to advertise the drug. ;)
    The care you have received is different to any that I have received in different counties of Ireland, and in the UK. I have heard GPs giving the odd mention of counselling but certainly not insisting on it.
    The odd mention? that is pretty poor on their part. Reason being, withOUT the drug - you are a suicide risk. With the drug, you still are, until it becomes fully effective. It states as much in the leaflets that go with your drugs.

GP's have to cover their árses, and in my book - I cant blame them. So when someone dies because they've chosen to end their life.. what is the natural human reaction of family? friends? media? the finger pointing begins.
    I guess our "depressions" are different. I have never encountered this. I usually get a prescription for three months.
    This surprises me completely. I don't mean to sound cheeky but maybe you should see another doctor outside of the medical centre you go to. Its obvioiusly not worrking because you are still suffering. The reason why I do, and could identify with another poster was; I always come off the medication without weaning off, as soon as I feel a bit better. That is very counter-productive, but you forget that when you are one a 'positive' path'.

(Hope your well at the mo though)

Thanks, but no.. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. But doing stuff to fix it. :pac:
    People who suffer from depression have to find the will to get through it. I hope you have it. But that is the point of couselling. To turn your thoughts around ;)

I've deleted that out. Its your business, thats why I ask for a pm. dont want to advertise the drug. ;)

Why?! It's the same as a drug for blood pressure, for cholesterol, for headaches... There is no need to hide it.

The odd mention? that is pretty poor on their part. Reason being, withOUT the drug - you are a suicide risk. With the drug, you still are, until it becomes fully effective. It states as much in the leaflets that go with your drugs.

I have chronic depression, so I'm on a fairly high dose. I believe the "maintenance" dose of this drug is 10mg. I'm not a suicide risk. If I wasn't taking this drug I might be.
    This surprises me completely. I don't mean to sound cheeky but maybe you should see another doctor outside of the medical centre you go to. Its obvioiusly not worrking because you are still suffering. The reason why I do, and could identify with another poster was; I always come off the medication without weaning off, as soon as I feel a bit better. That is very counter-productive, but you forget that when you are one a 'positive' path'.

As I said, due to moving alot, I've seen many, many doctors, the treatment has always been basically the same.

I'm not suffering Abigayle. I will always have depression, but if I am controlling it, I'm not suffering. (Much:o)

Thanks, but no.. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. But doing stuff to fix it. :pac:
    People who suffer from depression have to find the will to get through it. I hope you have it. But that is the point of couselling. To turn your thoughts around ;)

Best wishes with the fixin', sincerely.

I have gone for counseling myself (nothing to do with my GP), I found it good (but knackering), but it's not something I feel I need to do right now. I would recommend it though.

Good luck to all with it. It's a pain in the arse.

Wibbs wrote: »
    If we could figure a simple test to catch it before that point? Again back to primitive societies, is it diet or more likely more stable social structures in place in such societies? Societies like that can be highly stressful from death and disease, so it doesn't seem to be that. If I was in the field I would defo be aiming my research less on societies that suffer more from it and looking at societies that suffer much less.

You've brought up some great points Wibbs, and I'm sure the original poster will be happy to see. It gave me a perspective to the other side by all accounts.

But I think that if you breakdown each individual back to the way they started out, brought up in.. their standard of living...I think this is the key.

People in countries, less prosperous have learned and daily abide by the most basic survival skills. I think the point I'm trying to make is, in the more prosperous countries, if our standard of living drops or the (seemingly) smallest thing drops.. well the fall is greater... ?

Just a thought. :)

Blue196 wrote: »
    The first paragagraph describes how i am at the moment. I'd describe it as being like a bird in a cage. The cage has bars but every day they're growing closer together till almost all light is gone.
    How can this cycle be broken? I'm going for counselling but it's not stopping those bars from moving ever closer

its hugely important that the councilor is good at his/her job, and encourages you to let work your problems... Some dont and are happy to see the client's just dwindle with there problems but facing up to your problems an attacking them thats the way i see it they attack me im going to attack them, when i was starting and still do if you've got a problem about something say it... thats why your there ignoring some problems aint going to help, I know it can be difficult but with anything if its hard in the end of the day its going to do you some good... But that would be a good place to start....

Also planing your week is important...

• Advertisement

I have chronic depression, so I'm on a fairly high dose. I believe the "maintenance" dose of this drug is 10mg. I'm not a suicide risk. If I wasn't taking this drug I might be.
    Its actually 20mgs. 10mgs is a scratch on your knee. Im on 40mg. Of course I understand that degrees of depression are expected, but as you rightly pointed out.. there are some people what shouldnt be.
    I'm not suffering Abigayle. I will always have depression, but if I am controlling it, I'm not suffering. (Much:o)

Are you very sure you should be on SSRIs? It is emotionally painful. Depression is mocked because you don't look like you are in pain, or suffering. But for the people that actually know you.. see you... they see the difference.

I have gone for counseling myself (nothing to do with my GP), I found it good (but knackering), but it's not something I feel I need to do right now. I would recommend it though.
    Its not supposed to be easy. Its about confrontation. get yourself in "bring it on" mode. Of course you recommend it. Because you know it works.
    Good luck to all with it. It's a pain in the arse.
    Welcome to my world ;)

40mg's? Your hardcore girl! I've had to fight for the 20mg.

Good luck with it.

40mg's? Your hardcore girl! I've had to fight for the 20mg.

nnnnoh dont gimme that :p

Do do pm. Im cool with it (obviously) :pac: Thanks for the other perspectives though :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I reckon you're right. I know someone that has asthma and has had great results with a method(whose name escapes me) that feels that asthma is primarily caused by overbreathing. We can certainly say that a multitude of illness in western peoples is down to overeating, yet others down to overindulging. All simple explanations of course, though pretty accurate. Maybe extend that simple analogy further, maybe we're overthinking. Modern life in many of it's aspects may be affecting mental health in the same way that a diet of maccy dees is affecting physical health?

Your primitive societies have a few things in common that may be part of it. They tend to be stable over time, they tend to have some sort of "spiritual" inner life(a sense of more, not even really requiring a deity), group identity, stable family bonds, more delineated roles, both social and gender, good diet, fresh air and usually strenuous physical exercise*. The latter physical things may be a factor. Strenuous physical exercise moderates insulin, increases the release of endorphins and in general keeps the endocrine system up to speed. Diet may have a part to play. http://scienceblogs.com/corpuscallosum/2009/01/antidepressant_effect_of_vitam.php On Vit D alone how many of us expose enough of our skin to the sun to boost that vitamin? The social freedoms and boundaries thing I personally think may need to be looked at. IMHO too many "freedoms" can throw people outa whack. Like children I would say the vast majority of us need boundaries and even set roles to some degree. Controversial maybe?

*but variable exercise with a purpose not found in a gym. Gyms do obviously make a diff, but mad wibbs theory alert, I don't think the gym exercise is as valid as far as long term mental and physical health is concerned. I think running on a treadmill, is like jacking off when compared to running down a country lane across fields or your local park, it gets some good result, but it is so much lesser than the real thing and I honestly think the body and mind knows this and reacts differently. Studies have found that if average unfit people through simple self hypnosis imagine they're fitter over a month, they will be actually be fitter than those who don't. So IMHO it does make a diff. The distinction between brain, mind and body I think is too separate, though in fairness the fitness types will be the first to point it out. Fúck me thats a long footnote.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The drugs are to try and help you function they can be numbing, they interupt the cycle
    they cut it off, but they may get you to cope cos the reason we end up depressed is
    cos we can't cope and feel we have no control and that in it's self is a self perpetuation cycle. We can't effect change so we have no control and it gets worse.

I know it was only by understanding my cycle and how to intervene with myself
    and be aware of, acknowledge, accept and then adapt to my patterns and cycles that
    I cope, can be in control and can make changes to me, my moods and things in my enviroment.

It's hard, there were time I was in the pit and it took people coming around and cleaning my house to try help,
    to paint the walls a wacky colour so things were different so
    that I knew change had happened and I was capable of making it happen.

If I ever have to go back on meds I will, I will do my damnest first, use all the tricks
    in my bag but if they don't work and things become self destructive with the distractions
    it will be in to the gp.

Tbh at this stage I cherish the fact I can have 2/3 down days and feel blue and mopey
    and know that they will pass and won't trigger another bout of depression.
    I can enjoy the bitter sweet as well as the sweet.

It's hard seeing other people in the pit, you can't pull them out, you can't tell them
    how to climb out, they have to find thier own way, but that doesn't mean you
    can be understanding and supportive and let them know they are not alone.

Yes wibbs for some depression is being lost and trying to find yourself.
    My Granny would blame the pill for depression and sucide in young males in thier 20s
    cos back in her day they would have had knocked a lass up been made to get married
    and be settled down with roles, responsibilities, people who depend on them and loved them.

I was also on 40mg for quite a while. The thing which eventually turned my life around was a change of scenery and so far it seems to have worked.

Karsini wrote: »
    I was also on 40mg for quite a while. The thing which eventually turned my life around was a change of scenery and so far it seems to have worked.

Im happy it worked out for you. Did you receive any counselling?
    Good for you anyway. MAKE yourself always think positive. hard to do I agree, but if you are suffering, a positive approach changes your direction for you :)

Im happy it worked out for you. Did you receive any counselling?
    Good for you anyway. MAKE yourself always think positive. hard to do I agree, but if you are suffering, a positive approach changes your direction for you :)

Yes I did, I was seeing both a counsellor and clinical psychologist at different stages.

I found that once my physical environment and surroundings improved then I started to feel better inside soon afterwards. I certainly don't put myself down as much as I used to but I wouldn't say I'm completely out the other side just yet. The difference now is that I'm confident that I can work things out whereas about two years ago I felt hopeless.

Actually, come to think of it I peaked at 2x75mg per day but it didn't really agree with me so I was dropped back to one 75mg. Can't believe I forgot that! I guess I haven't really thought about that part of my life very much over the past while.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Yes I did, I was seeing both a counsellor and clinical psychologist at different stages.

I found that once my physical environment and surroundings improved then I started to feel better inside soon afterwards. I certainly don't put myself down as much as I used to but I wouldn't say I'm completely out the other side just yet. The difference now is that I'm confident that I can work things out whereas about two years ago I felt hopeless.

what do clinical psychologist do ?

I think it just take time allso nuchering your self giving your self treat's etc can be good to... I wish i was out of the woods but i think its a taking time thing...

I hear you on working things out, 10 months ago I was my own worst enemy :( now things are slightly better its nice.. :)

Advertisement