Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy contact lenses?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Still more than double the €5.49 for 32 at Daysoft..

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

I've never worn contacts before but my eye test is soon and I want to make the switch, it's just the price that put me off. If I ask after the eye test about contacts will they tell me what is suited to me, prescription etc. without me having to buy them there? I'd be kind of nervous trying online for the first time wearing them but at the prices ye've mentioned I don't even want to buy a months worth in the shop.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The only thing is to find out if your suitable for them. If you know anyone who wear contacts you could get them to show you how to put them in and take them out. You will grasp it fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Boo2112 wrote: »
    I've never worn contacts before but my eye test is soon and I want to make the switch, it's just the price that put me off. If I ask after the eye test about contacts will they tell me what is suited to me, prescription etc. without me having to buy them there? I'd be kind of nervous trying online for the first time wearing them but at the prices ye've mentioned I don't even want to buy a months worth in the shop.

You will need to get yourself fitted for contacts by an optician to see which contacts are best for you. Your glasses and contacts prescriptions will more than likely be different. When you have established the most suitable lenses, come back to this thread and check the recommended websites for buying on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

If you have not worn contacts before then imho you should get the full contact lens test and coaching on how to fit the lens. I had torture at Tescos and gave up after a few visits trying to fit my first contacts, finally namaged to get them in at Specsavers Limerick [not dishing big T it might just be pot luck on the day]. The contacts test is not the same as the glasses test and is rarely free. All going well you will be issued with a diagnostic pair of lens to try out, it is only after you have worn these for a month that you will be issued with a prescription. The cost of the diagnostic pair are covered by the test fee [ £15 @ Tesco UK, just had mine redone ] you do not need to order lens to get the prescription but the shop might try and persuade you otherwise. Once you have the prescription you can buy lens elsewhere.
    Boo2112 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭sporina

KoolKid wrote: »
    Still more than double the €5.49 for 32 at Daysoft..

does Daysoft have a toric lens? I use focus dailies toric..
    had a look at the daysoft website and can't find anything on astigmatism

Don't know TBH. Send them a mail. They are very helpful & very quick to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭sporina

KoolKid wrote: »
    Don't know TBH. Send them a mail. They are very helpful & very quick to respond.

thanks - I sent them a mail there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

sporina wrote: »
    does Daysoft have a toric lens? I use focus dailies toric..
    had a look at the daysoft website and can't find anything on astigmatism

From their website:

All daysoft lenses are daily disposable lenses. Wear for a day and throw away. Please note that none of the lens brands below, including daysoft, correct 'astigmatism' which requires specially made 'toric' lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 FrankTank

I can certainly recommend www.getlenses.ie - I ordered Acuvue Trueye and they are the most comfortable lenses I've ever worn.

This code gets you €10 off your order too:

5915877M

FrankTank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

I have been wearing daily disposables for the past 10 yrs. I have always bought my lenses from Specsavers and I've only just realised that one can purchase them online, hassle free (for almost half the price, what a plank I am). Specsavers no longer stock the plus strengths in store, so that led me to the discovery of daysoftlenses.com while I was ordering my lenses online. I thought that there would be strict regulation on the shipping of prescription items into Ireland, but not with contact lenses, it seems. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭stenan

Just used getlenses.ie, it was quick easy and no prescription needed like you do with most companies

http://www.getlenses.ie/

Here's a code they also gave me, you will get 10euro off if you spend over 50euro

6781136N

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Johnnerz

Does anybody know of anywhere to get cheap 2 weekly disposable contacts? I used to get these http://www.lensway.co.uk/contact-lenses/splash/prod96105.html?rsView=1 because they are insanely cheap but for the last couple of months they have not had -3.00 prescription in stock! I was usually paying about 18 euro for 3 months worth. (they nearly always have a voucher code for free shipping)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 greatgatsby

stenan wrote: »
    Just used getlenses.ie, it was quick easy and no prescription needed like you do with most companies

http://www.getlenses.ie/

Here's a code they also gave me, you will get 10euro off if you spend over 50euro

6781136N

Just used your code :). Here's my code if anyone's interested in getting 10e off when spending over 50e (Disclaimer: I'll also earn 5e for referral :)).

6509273D

Just order more there off them. Got a code again. There also selling that new eye spray stuff for dry eyes. Got one too for working with the computer in work. Hopefully its good. :)

10euro off if you spend over 50euro disconnect code - 6781136N

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Have only read the last few pages on this thread but just wanted to give a +1 for daysoft.... Having read the thread it seems there are a few suppliers online out there, but I remember the first time I ordered from daysoft the savings were massive over my opticians! I use contacts almost everyday now and you can afford to with daysoft. I exercise a lot too so being able to swap lenses after a particularly sweaty session is great too. Glad to see other people are now aware of the deals online!

stenan wrote: »
    Just order more there off them. Got a code again. There also selling that new eye spray stuff for dry eyes. Got one too for working with the computer in work. Hopefully its good. :)

10euro off if you spend over 50euro disconnect code - 6781136N

Just to let yous know deal has changed. You dont get 10 euro off if you spend over 50. Its now that you get 10% of once you spend of 30euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aidobob

Hey I used daysoftcontactlens.com and was ordering opsys specsavers ones for years, I recently went for an eye test and I found out they have done unreversable blood and nerve damage to both eyes. My optician said the material they use is non permiable and I would seriously recommend staying clear of this website!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

i have been using daysoft for a year now and my eyes are getting very dry and bloodshot, really not in the best nick. my eyes were perfect with my previous acuvue lenses. i have an contact lens test booked for next week. well see how it goes!!

aidobob wrote: »
    Hey I used daysoftcontactlens.com and was ordering opsys specsavers ones for years, I recently went for an eye test and I found out they have done unreversable blood and nerve damage to both eyes. My optician said the material they use is non permiable and I would seriously recommend staying clear of this website!!!

Using them 5 years plus and no issues.
    How often & for how long per day were you using them.
    Were you still getting your regular check-ups and had an up to date prescriptions as you need to agreed to this before you can purchase from daysoft.
    TBH I wouldn't expect the optician to be praising anyone who is seriousally undercutting him.

• Advertisement

I've been using daysoft acuvue for almost 3 years now, checkup and prescription updates etc and all perfect. I only wear them for 12hrs at a time and if I really need to I'll put in a fresh set after that... But that's only very rare.

My optician was charging 150 for 3 months of the Acuvue... And 50 for 4months on daysoft.

I've been getting my regular checks and my eyes have not been affected by the daysoft acuvue lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Bought toric daily contact lenses from Get lenses.
    Never again. They kept splitting in my eyes and were dried out by the end of the day.
    Have since gone back to monthlies with vision express and have not looked back. Yes more expensive, but so much more comfortable and good service.

Your eyes are too precious to be using unreliable and bad quality products on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

My optician charges €96 for three months supply of acuvue for astigmatism, They are thirty sterling on this webpage per box, so sixty pound. I also get free checkups and comfort knowing that I've been with the same one for 15 years and they have a record of my history.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Does anybody have a fairly accurate time for deliveries? I've been buying from Daysoft for years and never really paid attention to delivery dates as I normally reorder when I have plenty of lenses left and I get them delivered to my parents' house and just pick them up whenever. But I need them next weekend.

I ordered them on Wednesday, got the dispatch confirmation yesterday. Should I be alright for next Thursday/Friday?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Does anybody have an fairly accurate time for deliveries? I've been buying from Daysoft for years and never really paid attention to delivery dates as I normally reorder when I have plenty of lenses left and I get them delivered to my parents' house and just pick them up whenever. But I need them next weekend.

I ordered them on Wednesday, got the dispatch confirmation yesterday. Should I be alright for next Thursday/Friday?
    Should be alright, I'd say you'll have them monday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

art1emma wrote: »
    I used to always wear Biomedics 1-day from my opticians which to Daysoft were Daysoft 58 but they changed it approx 3 months ago and I now use daysoft SIlK with daysoft which they have told me are an updated version of the Daysoft 58. I still find them brillant & even better then Daysoft 58 :) Happy Days!

just the info i was looking for as im about to order and my previous
    order were the 58

using daysoft for years without any probs

id be wearing them for 4-6hrs on any given day

lens seem much better than the ones i used to get at specsaver for nearly three times the price

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

I've normally bought my lenses from daysoft lenses. Bought from them for over 2 years. Found them very good - however my prescription is now updated to a toric contact lens and unfortunately daysoft do not produce these lesnes.

Turns out the toric lenses are relatively expensive. I've had a look around at a few sites going by what people said here over the past few years - looked at the following sites: getlens.ie, Lensbase, lenscatcher.com, opticalinstitute.com, feelgoodcontacts.com, eurolens.ie (judging by advice I'm staying away from ths site!). Seems like opticalinstitute.com are the cheapest.

Am I missing any site that would be good for toric lenses?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mailburner wrote: »
    order were the 58

lens seem much better than the ones i used to get at specsaver for nearly three times the price

I ordered the silk but i preferred the 58
    they are fine and to me they feel exactly like the ones i used
    to buy in specsavers
    its a much thinner lens than the 58 but the 58s I found
    more comfortable and easier to put in

• Registered Users Posts: 14 art1emma

mailburner wrote: »
    order were the 58

I'm still wearing the silk and not one tiny problem with them, I wear them every day for approx 6hrs. Little bit more flimsy to put in then the 58 but more comfortable in the eyes I find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

a few months ago my optician gave out to me when he found out i ordered my contacts online the last 2 years :o, and was shocked at how cheap the daysoft ones where, he said he'd never heard off them but you get what you pay for and your eyes aren't something you cut corners with.

I had some staining in one of my eyes, not sure if its from the daysoft as i hadn't had an eye checkup in a couple of years before this but if you do use them i'd recommend getting your eyes seen to once in a while, not everyone's suited to them, some have a higher tolerance than others. I'm back on the monthly's (same ones every day for a month), not half as cheap and a lot more hassle but what can you do.

Advertisement