Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy contact lenses?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Does anyone know how long Lensbase take to deliver? I ordered this morning over the phone, and they said that the lenses would be sent out today - any chance they might be delivered by Friday?

It's a Dublin address.

So got myself two months of Daysoft.. for only €25..

Tried them out yesterday and have to say - very comfortable.
    Will definitely be getting these from now on.

Saving so much money. Normally pay €90 every 3 months.

Fúck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

So got myself two months of Daysoft.. for only €25..

Tried them out yesterday and have to say - very comfortable.
    Will definitely be getting these from now on.

Saving so much money. Normally pay €90 every 3 months.

Fúck that.

Yay ava.... I swear by 'em, saved me a fortune the last few years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 porterj

Just a warning to anyone thinking of buying from USA.

I was charged Customs Duty, VAT and Customs clearance charges of €24.61 on an order from Eurolens.ie on an order value of €80.

In addition it took more than 30 days to clear customs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Coonster

porterj wrote: »

I was charged Customs Duty, VAT and Customs clearance charges of €24.61 on an order from Eurolens.ie on an order value of €80.

Are your contacts available on daysoft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

On EUROLENS.IE??

That shouldn't be allowed. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

I get mine for 60 euro for 3 months.. The optician I go to is brilliant.. I started only using contacts there recently, and we went through the whole process of tryin the day ones before he realised he had to order the specific monthly ones..

I was delighted..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Im currently getting dailies with specsavers. About 35 eur for 2 boxes. Would people recommend changing? I see people mentioning online sites but are the contacts sub quality. If ordering online do you need other contact details other than the sight loss (-1 etc)
    Thanks.

Im currently getting dailies with specsavers. About 35 eur for 2 boxes. Would people recommend changing? I see people mentioning online sites but are the contacts sub quality. If ordering online do you need other contact details other than the sight loss (-1 etc)
    Thanks.

Hi,

For Daysoft you just need your prescription ie -1, and that's it! no harm in trying them, I think they are great and so reasonable. 1 month's supply is about 13 euro, why not give it a trial?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I would try this myself, but I got told I cannot get a copy of my prescription from them (Specsavers). No explanation given really, except that I would need an eye test first, and that they dont normally give them (prescriptions) out...I only got a test done a few months ago >.<

Do I really need a copy of my prescription to order online? It would only be for Dailies anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

no u dont u just need to no how bad your eyes are mine is -3.50 in both so i just use that.the power of the lenses should be on the box or on the lenses tem selves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Same thing happened here. Called them up to explain, the situation and how ridiculous it was to be sent lenses from the US from a site called Eurolens. It fell on deaf ears.

Seems really difficult to buy lenses from a reputable site based in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Same thing happened here. Called them up to explain, the situation and how ridiculous it was to be sent lenses from the US from a site called Eurolens. It fell on deaf ears.

Seems really difficult to buy lenses from a reputable site based in Europe.

I have had no problem over the years when ordering from:

http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/

http://www.lensbase.ie/

www.yourlenses.ie now taken over by http://www.lensway.co.uk/

http://www.opticalinstitute.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

was just reading here an decided to try out a different contact lense supplier myself and see the difference..

when i seen someone mention above daily disposable's for 13 euro a month i couldnt believe it !!

wearing contacts since i was around 14 , around 11 years now. always got my contacts from specsavers .. @35 a month its quiet dear.
    (im really blind , -6.50 in both eyes lol ;))

jus placed an order with daysoft , didnt know anything about these places until i seen ye mention them above in this thread. have one month supply ordered to start with and see how it goes from there.
    but if there comfortable i know ill stick with them.
    35 euro a month v 13 euro a month is some difference , im actually shocked.

thanks guys ;):) , will let ye know how i get on when they arrive in the 7 - 10 days they quoted for delivery time.

niall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

My missus needs new contacts, and recently got an eye test here in Ireland (she's american and hadnt had a test in 5 years). Specsavers put down 2 prescriptions on the card they gave her. Also, her old presc. was for a toric lens in right eye, normal lens for left eye. Specsavers said she needs toric in both eyes now.
    These are the presciptions on the card...

Full Rx:
    Right: SPH -7.25, CYL -1.75, Axis 2.0
    Left: SPH -4.50, CYL -1.25, AXIS 10.0

Modified Rx:
    Right: SPH -6.50, CYL -1.50, Axis 2.0

So the right eye is different in the 2 prescriptions. Is this normal? Is one perhaps for glasses, the other for contacts?

We want to order the lenses online as it is ridiculously cheaper than getting em from specsavers. But when i go to any site and try to put in her prescription, AXIS 2.0 isnt an option (only 10,20,30...,170,180), CYL -1.50 isnt an option form the 2nd prescription, and -7.25 isnt an option from the first prescription.

Can anyone help me figure out what I need to order?

beglee wrote: »
    My missus needs new contacts, and recently got an eye test here in Ireland (she's american and hadnt had a test in 5 years). Specsavers put down 2 prescriptions on the card they gave her. Also, her old presc. was for a toric lens in right eye, normal lens for left eye. Specsavers said she needs toric in both eyes now.
    These are the presciptions on the card...

Full Rx:
    Right: SPH -7.25, CYL -1.75, Axis 2.0

Modified Rx:
    Right: SPH -6.50, CYL -1.50, Axis 2.0

So the right eye is different in the 2 prescriptions. Is this normal? Is one perhaps for glasses, the other for contacts?

We want to order the lenses online as it is ridiculously cheaper than getting em from specsavers. But when i go to any site and try to put in her prescription, AXIS 2.0 isnt an option (only 10,20,30...,170,180), CYL -1.50 isnt an option form the 2nd prescription, and -7.25 isnt an option from the first prescription.

Can anyone help me figure out what I need to order?

Wow that is confusing. I'd have guessed that her prescription is -6.50 and -4.50, but why don't you ask the optician to explain the figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Having read about Toric contact lenses a bit more on the net (and from a PM from "Daisies the optometrist" on here), just gonna send the missus back in for a contact lens fitting, as getting the ideal contact prescription and brand right can be a tricky process. So may as well get her fitted with a trial set, make sure all is well before ordering anything online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Anyone order from feelgoodcontactlenses.com it looks like they ship from the UK because of the speedy delivery but it's not very clear, I googled but not much luck.

I was caught before with eurolens before too

loopymum wrote: »
    Anyone order from feelgoodcontactlenses.com it looks like they ship from the UK because of the speedy delivery but it's not very clear, I googled but not much luck.

Read Page15 for some differing viewpoints on www.feelgoodcontacts.com

Squiggle wrote: »
    Read Page15 for some differing viewpoints on www.feelgoodcontacts.com

Thanks, had a look and they seem to be ok, I also emailed them and they told me they post from London and they are a lot cheaper than eurolens for the contacts I want

• Advertisement

Just wanted to give some feedback on the above site, I order my continous wear lenses and they arrived after a few days from the UK, very happy with them and no customs charges unlike eurolens

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I ordered from there before xmas, was very impressed the lenses came within 7 days. I ordered again in Jan. Never again. Lenses didn't show up for a month, I sent them several emails and I never got a response. Worst customer service ever.

I am very interested in Daysoft though. I might give them a go. The price seems too good to be true though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Coonster

Léan wrote: »

I ordered from there before xmas, was very impressed the lenses came within 7 days. I ordered again in Jan. Never again. Lenses didn't show up for a month, I sent them several emails and I never got a response. Worst customer service ever.

I am very interested in Daysoft though. I might give them a go. The price seems too good to be true though :eek:

I order from daysoft on a regular basis. Quick dispatch, quality lenses and nice letterbox friendly packaging! 100% safe ordering from these guys

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I ordered some lenses from Daysoft for the first time recently. Great service, but the jury is still out on the actual lenses. My eyes tend to get quite dry from using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Just a note for anyone ordering contacts online, do not use www.eurolens.ie, they are not located in ireland nor are they in europe,they are in the us, been 8 weeks waiting now,they keep saying they are stuck in customs and they are on the way. Now at this stage i've run out of contacts so had to go get a prescription and get them locally. The eye exam i don't mind as its been a while but i spent 100 euro with euro lenses and now had to go a fork out another 100 to get them locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Just a note for anyone ordering contacts online, do not use www.eurolens.ie, they are not located in ireland nor are they in europe,they are in the us, been 8 weeks waiting now,they keep saying they are stuck in customs and they are on the way. Now at this stage i've run out of contacts so had to go get a prescription and get them locally. The eye exam i don't mind as its been a while but i spent 100 euro with euro lenses and now had to go a fork out another 100 to get them locally.

Well they finally arrived, 8 weeks later, plus the post man had his hand out for 26 euro for vat and customs charges:mad:. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

can you get toric lenses from daysoft? sounds like great value!
    thanks a mil!

wivy wrote: »
    can you get toric lenses from daysoft? sounds like great value!
    thanks a mil!

From the daysoft website:

"Please note that none of the lens brands below, including daysoft, correct 'astigmatism' which requires specially made 'toric' lenses."

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Squiggle wrote: »
    From the daysoft website:

"Please note that none of the lens brands below, including daysoft, correct 'astigmatism' which requires specially made 'toric' lenses."

ah darnit... :/ im heading to thailand in the summer.. wonder would I be able to get some of these cheaply out there? anyone have any experience of buying contacts or glasses there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Hi all,

I'm just shopping around for lenses and came across this thread. I currently buy from getlenses.ie which cost me €65 for 6 months which I thought was quite good. But I see on discountlens.ie they would cost me €55.40 for six months, even better again. They are monthly disposable so I also need to factor in that I spend about €35-€40 every six months on solution.

However, everyone here seems to be raving about those daysoft ones- for 6 months supply they would cost me €85.08 including postage but with these because they're daily disposable I wouldn't need any solution.....

So- should I go for the daysoft? Is there much of a difference between monthlies and dailies? And also there is an option on daysoft to order "silk" or "classic"- does anyone have a preference or would anyone recommend one or the other??

Sorry for all the questions, just looking for a bit of advice! Thanks!

Advertisement