Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy contact lenses?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Trilla90 wrote: »
    a few months ago my optician gave out to me when he found out i ordered my contacts online.
    What else would he do?
    Turkeys won't vote for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

Does anybody know where to get cheap contact lens solutions from? I refuse to accept the price specsavers and other opticians are selling sterile salt water for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭sporina

Suil Eile wrote: »
    Does anybody know where to get cheap contact lens solutions from? I refuse to accept the price specsavers and other opticians are selling sterile salt water for.

tesco all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

lensbase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

These guys used to be good for other solutions (not saline), as they had no shipping charge, even though the yokes would often appear with a €6 or €8 franked stamp on them;

http://www.getlenses.ie/solutions-eye-care/all-solutions.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

sporina wrote: »
    tesco all the way

Tesco were selling Aosept really cheap a while back (I think less than a tenner for what is normally around twenty euro). Cant seem to find it in any of the stores now. Though I dont like having it in the house, having stupidly burned my eyes twice with unneutralised solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChewyLewy

Through Vhi. €40 for a months supply of dailies

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

sporina wrote: »
    tesco all the way

agreed even better if it's Tescos UK (about 40% less)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 FrankTank

Again, I thoroughly recommend Get Lenses. I found them to be fast and cheap - quality excellent too....and I normally hate wearing the blasted things!

FrankTank

Money Off Voucher:
    5915877M

http://www.getlenses.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

FrankTank wrote: »
    Again, I thoroughly recommend Get Lenses. I found them to be fast and cheap - quality excellent too....and I normally hate wearing the blasted things!

FrankTank

Money Off Voucher:
    5915877M

http://www.getlenses.ie

Do you know if these guys are registered or whatever regulation is out there that is needed to meet requirements to sell contacts?
    Just wondering so as to give me more comfort in what I'm buying because I do think Specsavers and co are a rip off and they are pretty incompetent to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Do you know if these guys are registered or whatever regulation is out there that is needed to meet requirements to sell contacts?
    Just wondering so as to give me more comfort in what I'm buying because I do think Specsavers and co are a rip off and they are pretty incompetent to deal with.

I would be careful saying things like that. Specsavers is a huge company and you cannot honestly say that everyone who works for them are incompentant. Any bricks and mortar store will be more expensive that online retailers when you factor staff costs, insurance costs etc.

Most (note I say MOST) online retailers will not be following procedures for supplying contact lenses in Ireland. They are classified as a medical device and are not to be sold without a prescription or the type that you are wearing should not be changed without you being examined by an optometrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Daisies wrote: »
    I would be careful saying things like that. Specsavers is a huge company and you cannot honestly say that everyone who works for them are incompentant. Any bricks and mortar store will be more expensive that online retailers when you factor staff costs, insurance costs etc.

Most (note I say MOST) online retailers will not be following procedures for supplying contact lenses in Ireland. They are classified as a medical device and are not to be sold without a prescription or the type that you are wearing should not be changed without you being examined by an optometrist.

True - just meant from a few personal experiences I've had. Probably could have put it better!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 art1emma

They are the exact same price as Opticians in town - no savings? The price they show are per eye if i'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Hi, anyone got an idea if I ordered some daysoft tomorrow night when I get paid, do you reckon they would be here before Chrimbo? The price is very appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 art1emma

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Hi, anyone got an idea if I ordered some daysoft tomorrow night when I get paid, do you reckon they would be here before Chrimbo? The price is very appealing.

yes you will, been using these for years... They take around 5 working days sometimes less

art1emma wrote: »
    yes you will, been using these for years... They take around 5 working days sometimes less

Great stuff, its just they say 10 working days on the website and factor in Xmas post.
    I'll give it a punt. Thanks. :)

linda9072 wrote: »
    I got mine today! Took 3 working days

great, just ordered an hour ago! funny how Boards.ie is down as a how did you hear about us. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

I had been dealing with LensWay,co.uk & reordered recently. Paid by credit card in sterling & waited. Never had issues before but I got a letter from Dublin Mail Centre / Revnue this morning looking for Vat on my lenses as they were coming from the USA. I had thought my contract was with a UK franchise & within the EU & that I had paid in full including all due taxes.
    Anyone run into these issues?
    Advice would be welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhelicious

Hadnt the money to buy Specsavers dailies anymore as they were costing 30 something a month, switched to Daysoft and I have to say theyre brilliant! Only 12 quid, and the only difference is that theyre a little bigger :) Id definitely reccomend everyone to make the switch !

Ordered my Daysoft on Thursday and received them today. That was really quick. Yet to try them as I wear my glasses to work. Will report back when I've worn them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just ordered from getlenses.ie - used referral code on last page to get 10% off. Paid e124 for 9xpairs of PureVision torrics. This will probably last me 1.5 years... Am only supposed to leave them in for a month but I forget :P

My last order, about a year ago - was from contactlenses.co.uk - for 6xpairs - and cost £95 + £5 delivery. So saving another few bob!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭stenan

Here's a code for www.getlenss.ie they gave me, you will get 10% off on your first order when you spend over 30 euro. Awesome site, fast delivery and no prescription required. Using them for the last 2 years.

6781136N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

srsly78 wrote: »
    Am only supposed to leave them in for a month but I forget :P

Tread very carefully. You only have one pair of eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

RainyDay wrote: »
    Tread very carefully. You only have one pair of eyes.

I used to have four eyes, but not since the contact lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

Got my first delivery of daysoft (silk) lenses yesterday, they are alright...my eyes dried out after about 6 hours and I had issues with glare in some lighting... for the price they are great, great backup lenses to have if running low on other lenses..... but I think I will revert back to my Acuvue Oasys, I don't regret my purchase...how could you possibly regret €12.58!!!!...just not the most comfortable lenses I've ever worn. Thanks to everyone here for contributing great suggestions and advice! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i wore daysoft for a few years, cheap as chips, then eventually i got awful eye infections from them. as did my friend that wore them.

i use focus air optix night and day monthlies, never had a problem.

i just tried evolution 55's i think theyre called, theyre crap compared to the focus. eyes dried out in evenings and theyre just all round bad.

i tried the leave in focus optix but didnt agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭kisugem

I have also used daysoft in the past. Was happy with the price I paid, but developed eye condition where my sight was decreasing considerably for extended periods of time due to the poor lense quality and low oxygen penetration to the retina.

I have since switched back to branded contact lenses as my eyesight is not something I would trade for savings.

I now wear and highly recomment Biofinity (http://www.getlenses.ie/brand/biofinity-contact-lenses.html) monthly contacts. They have 2nd highest oxygen permeability (at 160 dkk) among soft contact lenses available on the market today and are reasonably priced.
    I have seached many places to buy them and getlenses is the cheapest with free delivery and there is no need for prescription.

www.getlenses.ie

10% discount code

Use the code below at checkout for 10% off any order over 30 euro.

2289740M

The cheapest website to buy branded lenses and cleaning solution and I have checked many..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Just a word of warning, had a long chat with my new optician this week about lenses. I get my prescriptions from him but order my contacts and glasses online. He put no pressure on me to order from him, but we were talking about ordering online. He talked to me about the difference in your glasses vs contact prescription as they react so differently and why once a year is really essential for eye checks. Now I always gets my glasses check every 2 years (work pays for it) but I hadn't bothered getting lens check in 3 years - had quite a difference between my lens and contract prescriptions.

He did say that despite when you order online you can get away with not having an up to date prescription with some suppliers it is really dangerous for your eyes.

Anyways just a heads up for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Just a word of warning, had a long chat with my new optician this week about lenses. I get my prescriptions from him but order my contacts and glasses online. He put no pressure on me to order from him, but we were talking about ordering online. He talked to me about the difference in your glasses vs contact prescription as they react so differently and why once a year is really essential for eye checks. Now I always gets my glasses check every 2 years (work pays for it) but I hadn't bothered getting lens check in 3 years - had quite a difference between my lens and contract prescriptions.

He did say that despite when you order online you can get away with not having an up to date prescription with some suppliers it is really dangerous for your eyes.

Anyways just a heads up for people.

Get your eye test once every two years, and a lens check every year. Get copy of prescription, and order online. Best, safest and cheapest way. However no optician likes losing business to online sellers, take it from somebody who was in the trade. Much better if you don't mention where you are buying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Jonathanod

Hey guys this is a 10% discount code when spending over 30euro on GETLENSES.IE

----> 9499452P <----

Enjoy!! :)

Advertisement