Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy contact lenses?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Caraville wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm just shopping around for lenses and came across this thread. I currently buy from getlenses.ie which cost me €65 for 6 months which I thought was quite good. But I see on discountlens.ie they would cost me €55.40 for six months, even better again. They are monthly disposable so I also need to factor in that I spend about €35-€40 every six months on solution.

Cheaper cleaning solution available from lensbase. About €28 for six months supply including delivery. I have used this crowd with no issues.
    However, everyone here seems to be raving about those daysoft ones- for 6 months supply they would cost me €85.08 including postage but with these because they're daily disposable I wouldn't need any solution.....

So- should I go for the daysoft? Is there much of a difference between monthlies and dailies? And also there is an option on daysoft to order "silk" or "classic"- does anyone have a preference or would anyone recommend one or the other?

6 months supply is €75.48 including delivery. When you are ordering Daysoft select your current lens from the list on the order page and Daysoft will recommend either Silk or Classic on the basis of the lens you are currently using. Why don't you try a months supply, get a contact lens check with your optician and see how you get on . Daysoft are excellent to deal with imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Squiggle wrote: »
    From the daysoft website:

"Please note that none of the lens brands below, including daysoft, correct 'astigmatism' which requires specially made 'toric' lenses."

I currently use Specsavers EasyVision Opsys, Right Eye +3.25, Left +2.50

How can I tell if my lenses are 'toric'? I remember something about astigmatism from my eye test, but not sure my lenses are specially toric.

Would love to buy online, but want to make sure i buy what I need.

So is there any way of telling if my lenses are 'toric'?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

burly wrote: »

How can I tell if my lenses are 'toric'? I remember something about astigmatism from my eye test, but not sure my lenses are specially toric.

So is there any way of telling if my lenses are 'toric'?
    What does it say on the box of the contacts you currently use?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What does it say on the box of the contacts you currently use?

They are Specsavers Easyvision Opsys lenses.

All it says on the bos is as follows;

Right Eye (Where i think i have mild astigmastism)
    +3.25
    Dia= 13.8
    CT 0.136

Left Eye
    +2.50
    Dia= 13.8
    CT 0.151

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They are Specsavers Easyvision Opsys lenses.

All it says on the bos is as follows;

Right Eye (Where i think i have mild astigmastism)
    +3.25
    Dia= 13.8
    CT 0.136

Left Eye
    +2.50
    Dia= 13.8
    CT 0.151

Any ideas?
    Just ring Specsavers and ask them are the lenses toric. They've no reason not to tell you.

• Advertisement

Specsavers EasyVision Opsys are on the drop down list in the Order section on the Daysoft site covered by the notice : "Please note that none of the lens brands below, including daysoft, correct 'astigmatism' which requires specially made 'toric' lenses." Also Specsavers EasyVision Opsys are rebranded Focus Dailies Aqua according to this, which are not toric.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Specsavers EasyVision Opsys are on the drop down list in the Order section on the Daysoft site covered by the notice : "Please note that none of the lens brands below, including daysoft, correct 'astigmatism' which requires specially made 'toric' lenses." Also Specsavers EasyVision Opsys are rebranded Focus Dailies Aqua according to this, which are not toric.

Yes, they are not toric. I also had these lenses and I have slight astigmatism. As far as I know, if your astigmatism is less than 1 Diople in whichever eye it is not necessary to be corrected.

Torics are lenses which do not move in the eye, this counteracts the abnormal shape of the eye. Normal lenses constantly rotate in the eye causing mild bluriness.

I have purchased daysoft recently and found them great, however my eyes do dry out quickly. So I'm going to try classics the next time.

Hope I've helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I use Acuvue Trueye dailies, and i've found nothing cheaper than http://www.opticalinstitute.com/

Have ordered from them a few times already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

gents I normally buy off daysoft but went on there to renew my order and daysoft 58 (the ones i normally buy) arent there?
    please advise
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sometimesmaybe

daysoft contact lenses are the exact same as any other contact lense, you type in the type and strength (and make of your brand) but get them for a fraction of the price, highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

daysoft contact lenses are the exact same as any other contact lense, you type in the type and strength (and make of your brand) but get them for a fraction of the price, highly recommend.

Is this the general consensus here? Tried their equivalent to Specsaver's dailies and found them terrible to be honest - fine for about 4 hours then start drying the eyeballs out of my skull. Very heavy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 art1emma

insanity50 wrote: »
    gents I normally buy off daysoft but went on there to renew my order and daysoft 58 (the ones i normally buy) arent there?
    please advise
    thanks

I used to always wear Biomedics 1-day from my opticians which to Daysoft were Daysoft 58 but they changed it approx 3 months ago and I now use daysoft SIlK with daysoft which they have told me are an updated version of the Daysoft 58. I still find them brillant & even better then Daysoft 58 :) Happy Days!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 art1emma

jpm4 wrote: »
    Is this the general consensus here? Tried their equivalent to Specsaver's dailies and found them terrible to be honest - fine for about 4 hours then start drying the eyeballs out of my skull. Very heavy also.

They really dont suit everyone as my boyfriend used them for 3 months but found putting them in irrated his eyes and dried them out but me on the other hand love them! I did find that daysoft 58 dried my eyes a small bit but there new brand Daysoft SILK I find perfect & im 8 hours a day looking at a computer screen!

Also on another note - years ago i used the Specsaver's focus dailies & they didnt suit my eyes at all.. little bit of wind outside would move them out of place! So i was moved to biomedics which i found brillant also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Hi,
    Just wanted to say thanks very much to the op for starting this thread and for everyone who contributed. My wife having to wear contacts just got 6 months supply of toric lenses from Feelgoodcontactlenses.com. we have already saved nearly 150 compared to b&m store prices!
    Also just had to say about the service from fgcl, ordered on sunday and arrived today! box couldve had a bit more packing in it but nothing wrong with the lenses or solution.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gobblet

I get mine from www.lenscatcher.com, great value compared to buying from my optician

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newby88

Hi everyone!

I have recently been prescribed clariti daily lenses from my opticians, however im finding them quite expensive at €65 for a months supply! Does anyone know any online sites I can get these at a reasonable price, or any other contacts I could try that are similar to these? I've searched a few sites I bought contacts from before but am having trouble finding them!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

opticalinstitute, whom I have bought from in the past without a problem, sell a months supply of Clariti for €52.45 delivered - they are based in Portugal. Personally I would check out daysoft which, at €12.58 for one months supply delivered, are hard to beat if they are suitable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newby88

Thanks Squiggle! Think I'll give daysoft a try! Thats a great price and from feedback on this thread they seem to be a good contact lense!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi iv been prescribed with Specsavers easyvision Daily opsys and was wondering if I could buy a similar type of lenses online. A months supply is 33 euro so im hoping for something a bit cheaper. Left and right eye are both -1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Hi iv been prescribed with Specsavers easyvision Daily opsys and was wondering if I could buy a similar type of lenses online. A months supply is 33 euro so im hoping for something a bit cheaper. Left and right eye are both -1.50

Daysoft is the way to go!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I've just been prescribed daily contact lenses, which I'm only really interested in for occasional wear. I've been thinking of ordering some Daysoft lenses for when my current ones (Specsavers own brand) run out, but I'm just wondering, would I be able to get them checked in my eyes by an optician? I'd like to try them but I don't want to do myself any harm either.

leaveiton wrote: »
    I've just been prescribed daily contact lenses, which I'm only really interested in for occasional wear. I've been thinking of ordering some Daysoft lenses for when my current ones (Specsavers own brand) run out, but I'm just wondering, would I be able to get them checked in my eyes by an optician? I'd like to try them but I don't want to do myself any harm either.

Not sure if Specsavers or the like will do it but I get an independent optician to do my contact lens check up - costs €50. I buy my glasses from him but not the contacts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

opticalinstitute, whom I have bought from in the past without a problem, sell a months supply of Clariti for €52.45 delivered - they are based in Portugal. Personally I would check out daysoft which, at €12.58 for one months supply delivered, are hard to beat if they are suitable for you.

I just visited the above website and it attempted to attack, twice, with the trojan, Trojan:JS/BlacoleRef.W
    Be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

daysoft lenses are terrible material dry out very easy

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Hi im using specsavers easyvision umere daily contacts and was searching online for them, cant find them anywhere, i saw that specsavers rebranded them from sauflon but have no idea what the "umere" was rebranded under...anyone any ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Elceeney

Hey guys, out of curiosity how much would 30 pairs of TORIC (both eyes) Focus Dailies cost in Specsavers? I'm paying 25euro a box from getlenses.ie !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 for Daysoft. I have been using them a couple of years now with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Thanks for link to daysoft.

I'm feeling a bit ripped off right now, considering what I paid from vision express recently. I only started wearing them this week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Thanks for link to daysoft.

I'm feeling a bit ripped off right now, considering what I paid from vision express recently. I only started wearing them this week.

Its unbelievable the difference, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭stenan

Just used getlenses.ie, it was quick easy and no prescription need like you do with most companies

http://www.getlenses.ie/

Here's a code they also gave me, you will get 10euro off if you spend over 50euro

6781136N

Advertisement