Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway Redesignation sparks huge complaints

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mysterious wrote: »
    What are you talking about, since you don't really know what your even talking about, I doubt this is even a valid point at all.

Its a valid point because you keep banging on about how people will be inconvenienced by not being able to use the bypass - with no figures.

Really? You've dissmissed some very basic facts.

Like what? And you dismiss the very concept of road safety over, and over, and over again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

mysterious,

you seem to think that if this section of road was classified M, then no local traffic can use it - they can. Just the very small percentage of vehicles restricted from motorways can't. the majority of people can still use it. i really dont see what the big problem is here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

dannym08 wrote: »
    mysterious,

you seem to think that if this section of road was classified M, then no local traffic can use it - they can. Just the very small percentage of vehicles restricted from motorways can't. the majority of people can still use it. i really dont see what the big problem is here

It has too many interchanges, not good curves and a 100kmh speed limit and a not good alternative route either.

I don't see why make it a blue motorway all of a sudden. I don't see why agricultural traffic has to make 20 mile round trip get accross the shannon or go through the already congested bridge.

If there is no problem in your case, why should it be a motorway. When it has worked perfectly fine as it is. Providing all traffic as of present.

The only problem I see, is devlopment on the side roads, but since that has never been a problem for 19 years, I don't see it been a problem now either. It's not just a bypass for the N6. All local traffic should be allowed use it.

All local traffic should be allowed use it.

Do tell us what percentage of local traffic won't be allowed use it. Seeing as you seem to know...
    The only problem I see, is devlopment on the side roads, but since that has never been a problem for 19 years, I don't see it been a problem now either

You go on, ad nauseam, about future proofing roads. What do we know what a developer in 5, 10, 15 years time is going to want to do? Only way to prevent them doing this is to make the road a motorway.

It has too many interchanges, not good curves and a 100kmh speed limit
    a special speed limit of 100km/h can be imposed on this stretch, not an issue tbh.
    I don't see why make it a blue motorway all of a sudden.

safety and to stop inappropriate developments, as has been said how many times??
    I don't see why agricultural traffic has to make 20 mile round trip get accross the shannon or go through the already congested bridge.

i dont see why everyone else should have to have reduced safety and excess congestion if developers develop on the side of it (which if u have read the first post you will know is quite likely considering property developers are one of the ones objecting to the redesignation). And in any case the majority of tractors are capable of doing 50km/h therefore further reducing the number of people who will be put out by this.
    If there is no problem in your case, why should it be a motorway. When it has worked perfectly fine as it is. Providing all traffic as of present.

what bit of safety and to stop inappropriate developments are u stuggeling with??
    The only problem I see, is devlopment on the side roads, but since that has never been a problem for 19 years, I don't see it been a problem now either.
    read the first post (the important bits have even been highlighted for u)
    local traffic should be allowed use it.

who is stopping them?

look a couple of farmers and L drivers might be a bit inconvenienced by this but that really isnt a good enough reason to stop this road being reclassified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

This is the most boring thread ever!

All the valid and reasoned points have been made over and over again and its quite obvious that Mysterious will never give in.

I suggest that it is locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bards

Steviemak wrote: »

All the valid and reasoned points have been made over and over again and its quite obvious that Mysterious will never give in.

I agreee, and to sumarise the main points for Mysterious

1.) Athlone Bypass is a national Route
    2.) Learner drivers are legally not allowed to drive unacompanied
    3.) Agri-vehicles pose an ever increasing danger on irish roads and their movements should be restricted, especially on the main arteries of the country
    4.) All National Routes especially the main Inter-Urbans should be protected from incoherent and dubious planning by relevant local authorities - easy way is to Slap A motorway order on them.
    5.) Appropiate speed limits must be applied. If it is OK to do 100 Km/H today then it is OK to do it tomorrow if/when redesignation happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

seconded. Thread is going in circles with one particular poster completely ignoring what others are saying and just recycling the same story.

Bards wrote: »
    1.) Athlone Bypass is a national Route
    2.) Learner drivers are legally not allowed to drive unacompanied
    3.) Agri-vehicles pose an ever increasing danger on irish roads and their movements should be restricted, especially on the main arteries of the country
    4.) All National Routes especially the main Inter-Urbans should be protected from incoherent and dubious planning by relevant local authorities - easy way is to Slap A motorway order on them.
    5.) Appropiate speed limits must be applied. If it is OK to do 100 Km/H today then it is OK to do it tomorrow if/when redesignation happens.

couldn't have said it better myself

and i agree, this tread is getting extremely extremely repetitive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

This thread is further proof that the majority, can indeed be wrong

More power to Mysterious. The point of Athlone bypass isthat people need to use some cop on. The road is practical to ALOT of traffic, not just D-G. The fact remains that L drivers DO use the road to go to work (and need to in many cases). As for Tractors and cyclists, there does be the occasional cycle i do from East to West via the town centre and getting on the bypass at Kilmartins/off at Blyry. And dont get me started on what a pain in the arse tractors would be on Dublin Gate/Church Street

The current spate of cutbacks will hopefully help to drive home the notion that the county needs to get real with what is and isnt needed. Putting this road as a Motorway would be little more than a vanity project.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

More power to Mysterious. The point of Athlone bypass isthat people need to use some cop on. The road is practical to ALOT of traffic, not just D-G. The fact remains that L drivers DO use the road to go to work (and need to in many cases). As for Tractors and cyclists, there does be the occasional cycle i do from East to West via the town centre and getting on the bypass at Kilmartins/off at Blyry. And dont get me started on what a pain in the arse tractors would be on Dublin Gate/Church Street

The current spate of cutbacks will hopefully help to drive home the notion that the county needs to get real with what is and isnt needed. Putting this road as a Motorway would be little more than a vanity project.

and we're off again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Many of the contributers on this thread mention that farmers were well compensated for their land, may I point out that most of this land was taken by compulsory purchase order. Many of these farmers would have been happier if the new motorways hadn't affected their land.
    My viewpoint is that people taking a drive in the country should expect to see some countryfolk, occasional tractor ect. All that is important is to have an overtaking lane or 2. Motorways serve little purpose to country life, though one would be very handy through the liberties and out to the airport.
    Country people have to slow down when entering towns and cities, why shouldn't city folk slow down for the odd tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've never liked the phrase "Build a bridge. Get over it.", but I just can't resist.

6 posts up, Bards summarises things quite nicely.

2 stroke wrote: »
    Many of the contributers on this thread mention that farmers were well compensated for their land, may I point out that most of this land was taken by compulsory purchase order. Many of these farmers would have been happier if the new motorways hadn't affected their land.
    My viewpoint is that people taking a drive in the country should expect to see some countryfolk, occasional tractor ect. All that is important is to have an overtaking lane or 2. Motorways serve little purpose to country life, though one would be very handy through the liberties and out to the airport.
    Country people have to slow down when entering towns and cities, why shouldn't city folk slow down for the odd tractor.

A bypass which goes closely around a large urban town is as far from a 'drive in the country' as possibly imaginable. I also don't consider the route between our first and third cities to be a "drive in the country" at any point along it.

Their accompanying driver can take over. As if they haven't got that, they're not legally allowed on ANY public road - motorway or not.

If they need a car to get to work, they can do the test like everyone else who needs a car for work did.

MYOB wrote: »
    A bypass which goes closely around a large urban town is as far from a 'drive in the country' as possibly imaginable. I also don't consider the route between our first and third cities to be a "drive in the country" at any point along it.

Bypass should go through centre of large urban areas.

Like it or not your route between our first and third cities is directly through our 'country'.

Erm, sorry, what? Firstly, that defies the point of a 'bypass', and secondly - where a through route is blasted through an urban area - it causes serious community seperation issues as well as generally being so congested as to be pointless.
    Like it or not your route between our first and third cities is directly through our 'country'.

But it is by no means a 'drive in the country'. A drive in the country doesn't involve national primary routes with tens of thousands of other cars. To think otherwise is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

??

Ok let's keep the wealth generated in the five largest cities in those cities (without any redistribution). How would 'our country' do now?

Wealth? More like debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

This thread is further proof that the majority, can indeed be wrong.

No it isn't. :)
    The point of Athlone bypass is that people need to use some cop on.

:confused:

I've read this several times and still don't know what it means.
    The road is practical to ALOT of traffic, not just D-G. The fact remains that L drivers DO use the road to go to work (and need to in many cases). As for Tractors and cyclists, there does be the occasional cycle i do from East to West via the town centre and getting on the bypass at Kilmartins/off at Blyry. And dont get me started on what a pain in the arse tractors would be on Dublin Gate/Church Street.

When you can produce figures backing this up then I might believe you.

Again... no backup provided. In what way is it a vanity project?

• Advertisement

Wealth? More like debt.

Go and read up on "gross value added". As goes debt - the state having to fund 1,000 of everything so that each tiny village with a loud councillor gets it rather than being able to centralise resources would be one major source of debt...

Dont know what you mean "gross added value"

If you are referring to decentralisation I think this is justified by the reduced rents outside city areas, also reduced cummuting and better quality of life as staff can work near home. Not really anything to do with this thread though.

Dont know what you mean "gross added value"

If you are referring to decentralisation I think this is justified by the reduced rents outside city areas, also reduced cummuting and better quality of life as staff can work near home. Not really anything to do with this thread though.

It has nothing to do with decentralisation. I told you to go read up on it; hence you'll know what it means.

Whatever you mean it has no relevance to this thread.

I'd like to ask a question.
    What do you veiw the main function of a bypass as?
    a. To get trafic from A to B as quickly as possible.
    b. To reduce trafic in the bypassed urban area.

Whatever you mean it has no relevance to this thread.

I'd like to ask a question.
    What do you veiw the main function of a bypass as?
    a. To get trafic from A to B as quickly as possible.
    b. To reduce trafic in the bypassed urban area.

Both, with A as the primary, neither of which functions will be impaired in the slightest by reclassification to a motorway.

Your question, then, has no relevance to this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Turn em all into motorways I say!

I see b as the primary function. In the case of the athlone bypass, redesignation to motorway status will increase traffic through the urban area.

I see b as the primary function. In the case of the athlone bypass, redesignation to motorway status will increase traffic through the urban area.

You'd be at all odds with all road planners then.

The increase in traffic through the urban area will be miniscule. The increase in safety on the bypass as a result will be huge; and the risk of the bypass becoming congested will be significantly reduced.

Law enforcment, propper planning and sensible driving are the answers to safety and congestion on the bypass.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    You'd be at all odds with all road planners then.
    And I am not alone.

Advertisement