Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway Redesignation sparks huge complaints

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

frenchfarmers.jpg

BluntGuy wrote: »
    This thread really should've had a vote attached to see what the general opinion on this was.
    A thread about whether the Athlone bypass should be made a motorway or not should have such a poll, but not this one.

I will create one for the craic!

Here ya go http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055528991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Furet wrote: »
    frenchfarmers.jpg

Yep. Spitting image of the Athlone Bypass I'm sure! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

and it's so blue...

and it's so blue...
    Couldn't resist it :D

• Advertisement

All capable of exceeding 50 km/h, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

dannym08 wrote: »
    ye right, come on ive never been on the bloody road and i can tell thats a load of crap ... gettin a bit borin at this stage and with quotes like that is becomeing ridiculous. any chance of a lock please mods??
    Just getting boring? I've been reading and trying to correct all this psychobabble for the last hundred-odd posts, but perhaps the worst post so far has been this one:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59621922&postcount=162

was going to remind the poster "mist not pooost when driink" but he was actually serious! :eek:
    It has a lower speed limit than a motorway.
    Then you don't know what a Motorway is. The M50, the Cashel Bypass all have 100kph limits. A motorway does not have to have 120kph speed to be a motorway. In fact, according to Irish law, it requires very little.
    *This bypass is 3/4 of local traffic. This is a high percentage.
    *There would be atleast a 1000 tractors if not more a day using the existing bypass bridge to get from one side of the Shannon to the other. This cannot be put into Athlone town.
    * End of story.
    * "Local" traffic (mostly cars and some buses) will not be affected. No GSJs are slated for closure.
    * As for your claim that there are more than 1000 tractor movements per day that would be forced to use the town per day. You do realise that almost all modern tractors are allowed to use motorways.
    You are claiming that Athlone town is going to be swamped under a wall of 20 year old Massey Fergusons.
    Evidence or STFU please.
    * Please don't post psychobabble and end it with "End of story."

And as for requesting this thread - leave it open - I might go down to Athlone after the latest round of reclassifications and post pictures of the blue signs on this thread.

...the worst post so far has been this one:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=162

Dang that post is dreadful, especially this bit:
    The only reason the M50 is defined as a Motorway is because it is so congested that it cannot fit the extra volumes that L-drivers, Tractors etc would add.

It would take pages of threads to explain exactly why this is wrong... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

SeanW wrote: »
    Then you don't know what a Motorway is. The M50, the Cashel Bypass all have 100kph limits. A motorway does not have to have 120kph speed to be a motorway. In fact, according to Irish law, it requires very little.

I do know what a motorway is, and the examples you made were given a speed limit speicifically.

Cashel bypass, was built to a standard DC. With roundabouts on each end. Had no restrictions on the road either.

The M50 was 120kmh, bar one stetch near firhouse:P

This proves you actually don't even know what your even waffling on about.
    * "Local" traffic (mostly cars and some buses) will not be affected. No GSJs are slated for closure.
    * As for your claim that there are more than 1000 tractor movements per day that would be forced to use the town per day. You do realise that almost all modern tractors are allowed to use motorways.
    You are claiming that Athlone town is going to be swamped under a wall of 20 year old Massey Fergusons.
    Evidence or STFU please.
    * Please don't post psychobabble and end it with "End of story."

Watch that mouth of yours. Don't tell other people to STFU please.
    And as for requesting this thread - leave it open - I might go down to Athlone after the latest round of reclassifications and post pictures of the blue signs on this thread.

Your obsessed with this.

It's does not need to be motorway. It has to many closed spaced interchanges. It has curves to steep for motorway traffic. It has a 100mh speed limit. And restrictions of L drivers and tractors should not have to be taken off this bypass. This bypass is for all traffic, as it's the bridging point of the Shannon. End of story. Yes this is it.

Stop developments and pedstrians on it, fair enough. But thats as far as it goes.

Yep. Spitting image of the Athlone Bypass I'm sure! :D

So I see the issue on the Athlone bypass NOOooooooW.

Now I see why the obsession to get tractors off it.:rolleyes:

geeeee.

• Advertisement

Point of correction: the speed limit on the Cashel Bypass was originally 100 km/h, but this was raised to 120 km/h when the section was redesignated.

True.

EDIT: Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

mysterious wrote: »
    I do know what a motorway is, and the examples you made were given a speed limit speicifically.
    You don't know what a motorway is: the M50 was given its 100kph limit after serious reconstruction.
    Cashel bypass, was built to a standard DC. With roundabouts on each end. Had no restrictions on the road either.
    Much like the Athlone Bypass then?
    The M50 was 120kmh, bar one stetch near firhouse:P
    But now it's 100kph all the way except for the South Eastern Motorway section which was not widened.
    This proves you actually don't even know what your even waffling on about.
    Pot, Kettle, Black.
    Watch that mouth of yours. Don't tell other people to STFU please.
    If you don't babble and dodge questions, I won't tell you to STFU. Deal?
    Your obsessed with this.
    Your trouble is, you don't know when someone is joking.
    This bypass is for all traffic, as it's the bridging point of the Shannon. End of story. Yes this is it.
    You have yet to provide any coherent, evidence supported claim of how much traffic would be forced into the town centre. If you cannot make a sensible claim, you cannot just say "end of story."
    Stop developments and pedstrians on it, fair enough. But thats as far as it goes.
    Only way to do that is to redesignate it ... Deal with the facts before babbling about Special roads and Expressways.
    Furet wrote: »
    Point of correction: the speed limit on the Cashel Bypass was originally 100 km/h, but this was raised to 120 km/h when the section was redesignated.
    I stand corrected :o

You don't know what a motorway is: the M50 was given its 100kph limit after serious reconstruction.

No, it was given a 100kmh speed limit, since it's has narrower lanes, weaving lanes and much heavier traffic. That is why. It's an urban motorway where you can't do a great deal a speed considering the amount of traffic that uses it.

Much like the Athlone Bypass then?
    No Athlone has steeper curves,
    A bridging point of a major river
    3 major secondary roads feeding the bypass
    and more dense network of GSJs.
    and a pernement 100kmh speed limit.

So I'm not sorry to point out, your error of judgment yet again.
    But now it's 100kph all the way except for the South Eastern Motorway section which was not widened.
    Point being?
    If you don't babble and dodge questions, I won't tell you to STFU. Deal?

No you quite simply have respect for the other poster, you don't tell me or anyone to STFU. It's the height of ignorance and showing disrespect.

So no you don't tell me STFU
    Your trouble is, you don't know when someone is joking.

You can't make a joke. Thats the trouble.
    You have yet to provide any coherent, evidence supported claim of how much traffic would be forced into the town centre. If you cannot make a sensible claim, you cannot just say "end of story."

Pretty much common sense will tell you that.
    The Athlone bypass carries only a fraction of N6 traffic 3/4 of it is used as a second crossing over the Shannon. And yes your going to get a more higher figure of Agricultural traffic, than many other sections of Inter urban routes. Plue the fact the existing local route cannot cope with any extra traffic that will be diverted if it was made motorway regardless.
    Only way to do that is to redesignate it ... Deal with the facts before babbling about Special roads and Expressways.

It can be redesignated, but doesn't need to be mader motorway.
    I stand corrected :o

That isn't unusual.

It can be redesignated, but doesn't need to be mader motorway.

I'm sorry, is there some kind of magical class of road inbetween motorway and national road that prohibits development, cyclists and pedestrians, but allows tractors and other slow vehicles as you have been suggesting?

I'm sorry, is there some kind of magical class of road inbetween motorway and national road that prohibits development, cyclists and pedestrians, but allows tractors and other slow vehicles as you have been suggesting?

People don't walk on this road, for the love of christ.

It can be a special road. Jack lynch has the restrictions yet is not motorway. Athlone has never had issues with off road devlopments. There will be no direct development built onto the the DC. Despite the fact the bypass is already built up on both sides. But those are facilitated by the existing GSJs. An bord pleanala can also object to developments on this road too you know. It was never an issue in 19 years. It seems your making a real issue out of it suddenly cus you want a blue road on a map.

The government can reclassify this. Just like they can reclassify other roads. or change speed limits on roads also.

I can just picture the likes of you making your case of day walkers using the bypass, and running down the slips and setting foot for Galway. I can only imagine what kind of disruption and chaos you would point out, because of these so called day walkers.

ROFL give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,289 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes they do. Ask anyone who actually drives the road. You clearly don't.
    It can be a special road. Jack lynch has the restrictions yet is not motorway.

The Jack Lynch tunnel has signs which have no legal affect.
    Athlone has never had issues with off road devlopments. There will be no direct development built onto the the DC.

How do you know this? You bang on about future proofing junctions, why shouldn't we future proof the road?
    The government can reclassify this. Just like they can reclassify other roads. or change speed limits on roads also.

Yes, they can reclassify it, and will reclassify it - to motorway. Accept it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

ignore this post. i didnt finish reading everythin and my point had already been made. sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Just on the N18 redesignation there might be one or two hiccups with redesignation. The Barefield and Scariff junctions are not motorway standard. I took pics of the Scariff one here today heading southbound:

DSC01781.jpg

DSC01782.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It can be a special road.

Special roads don't exist in Irish law. A special road is a UK concept which allows the Secretary of State for Transport (or equivilant Scottish/Welsh/NI minister) to restrict, via Statutory Instrument, the types of traffic that are able to use the roads.

In Ireland, the "normal" process to create a motorway is by the local authority making a Motorway Scheme under the Roads Act 1993. This is not a statutory instrument but is effectively the planning premission and compulsory purchase order rolled into one. It acompalishes the same thing by making the road a motorway, however. An alternative for certain roads is an SI under the Roads Act 2007 which is how motorway redesignation is accompalished and is more similar to the UK process.

All UK motorways are special roads, but not all special roads are motorways - they can also be given "A" or "B" classifications. For example, if you travel on the A55 in North Wales, at a particular point you'll see familar looking (to us, but now rare in the UK) signs stating "NO L-Drivers, Motorcycles under 50cc, Slow vehicles, invalid-carriages, pedestrians, animals" - i.e. the exact same restrictions that apply to a motorway. But because its not a motorway and doesn't feature the motorway symbol, the restrictions need to be explicitly signed - the UK doesn't do this for motorways anymore but we still do.

• Advertisement

They are below standards on other roads, but nothing in law to stop them. There are still a few similar junctions on British motorways. Theres not an hugely less tight junction at the terminal of the M11

As long as the slip for those merging on is long enough it should be grand. The similar junctions on the N7 upgrade do not have long enough slips...

MYOB wrote: »
    They are below standards on other roads, but nothing in law to stop them. There are still a few similar junctions on British motorways. Theres not an hugely less tight junction at the terminal of the M11

As long as the slip for those merging on is long enough it should be grand. The similar junctions on the N7 upgrade do not have long enough slips...

The slip for merging is extremely short. Also leaving the carriageway the slip is too short to slow down from 120 and to make a tight left turn. I guess its not hard to stretch it back a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'd be more 'concerned' about the little quirk at Barefield that means that until the Crusheen - Gort scheme is done and the bridge built, there will be about 400-500m of carriageway with no alternative route.

Minor problem tho. And those junctions will be fine for the amount of traffic that will use them. Only about 20 people or something live in Barefield so that junction is hardly ever used.

I noticed today that the signage on the new link road that the N6 is currently running over has partially painted out (with that grey paint that comes off) M6 signage for both directions - clearly the NRA are expecting both redesignations to go through without a problem...

MYOB wrote: »
    I noticed today that the signage on the new link road that the N6 is currently running over has partially painted out (with that grey paint that comes off) M6 signage for both directions - clearly the NRA are expecting both redesignations to go through without a problem...

They've also erected poles for "motorway" standard signs all along the bypass as well, work has also just started on erecting poles on the slip roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

tech2 wrote: »
    The slip for merging is extremely short. Also leaving the carriageway the slip is too short to slow down from 120 and to make a tight left turn. I guess its not hard to stretch it back a bit.

That'd be fine on de-restricted Autobahn - Scarily short decelleration lanes into very tight loops with 30 km/h limits....

That'd be fine on de-restricted Autobahn - Scarily short decelleration lanes into very tight loops with 30 km/h limits....

Actually speaking of Autobahn I was looking at a forum on them today, some of them with unresticted speeds are absolutely shocking in terms of narrow emergency lanes and slips. Some of their expressways are very dangerous also.

tech2 wrote: »
    Actually speaking of Autobahn I was looking at a forum on them today, some of them with unresticted speeds are absolutely shocking in terms of narrow emergency lanes and slips. Some of their expressways are very dangerous also.
    Don't forget, some of them are nearly 80 years old! Last time I was in Germany I went on an autobahn near Munich and there were cobblestone median "crossovers" (or whatever those things are called).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They've also erected poles for "motorway" standard signs all along the bypass as well, work has also just started on erecting poles on the slip roads.

on the Athlone bypass?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    on the Athlone bypass?
    Yes, work started last week.

Advertisement