Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Ok sorry to get mixed up but was only offering advice. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

kensutz wrote: »
    Ok sorry to get mixed up but was only offering advice. Good luck!

It's the op that can't read!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

guil wrote: »
    It's the op that can't read!

what are you on about?

mcg1987 wrote: »
    what are you on about?

Read back through the thread.

Read back through the thread.

:confused: Take your own advice. This coming from the boy who says apple aren't...and I quote "singing" any other firmware. yeah go back into your hole.

After the reply from Herrick (thanks again by the way) saying about the iPhone 4 probably not being able to run any further OS that may get released I have clearly and repeatedly stated that I want to find someone to unlock it an jailbreak it.

I asked if I could upgrade the software to 6.1.3 or whatever the latest ios6 is but was told I couldn't (by yourself guil I might add and this is where your "singing" comment came in :rolleyes:) so said I'll wait to see what the firmware is when I pick the phone up later this evening.

I've read your comment about using ultrasnow but there are plenty other unlocks out there I just want someone who can do it for me.

So where have I gone wrong here seeing as you reckon I can't read. People like you annoy me filling my thread full of BS !

• Advertisement

Haha never realised I had singing. I meant signing. What are all these other unlock methods you speak of?

Haha never realised I had singing. I meant signing. What are all these other unlock methods you speak of?

http://www.iclarified.com/finder/index.php

Heres one for example says that iphone 4 can be unlocked and jailbroken.

there are a lot of others but I would rather someone with experience of using one or doing it would just do it for me. Another option might be to get a Gevey/Turbo sim or whatever it's called if that works...Wonder are they sold in Dublin City anywhere?

http://www.iclarified.com/29764/how-to-jailbreak-your-iphone-4-using-redsn0w-windows-613

this offers a tethered jailbreak so might be of use depending on what it is..I just don't know. I just text the guy asking what baseband and software is on it.

http://www.iclarified.com/finder/index.php

Heres one for example says that iphone 4 can be unlocked and jailbroken.

there are a lot of others but I would rather someone with experience of using one or doing it would just do it for me. Another option might be to get a Gevey/Turbo sim or whatever it's called if that works...Wonder are they sold in Dublin City anywhere?
    What's the point in linking to a home page with nothing relevant. There is guides from 3 years ago on Iclarified on unlocking an iPhone 4. If you bothered too look properly you would know you can get a factory unlock for around €50. I wouldn't let those cowboys you mentioned earlier out a screen protector on my phone.

Gevey is the only other option to unlock and that's dependant on the baseband of the phone which is in settings>about as modem firmware. There is a lot of fakes and a genuine one could cost more than the factory unlock.

http://www.iclarified.com/29764/how-to-jailbreak-your-iphone-4-using-redsn0w-windows-613

this offers a tethered jailbreak so might be of use depending on what it is..I just don't know. I just text the guy asking what baseband and software is on it.
    That's all well and good but unless 6.1.3 is on the phone already, you can't put it on it.

• Advertisement

That's all well and good but unless 6.1.3 is on the phone already, you can't put it on it.

Yeah that's a fair point thanks. as long as it's not updated to the ios7 then there should be some hope for me to unlock it I think without the last resort of a factory unlock!

Factory unlock will be better in the long run and no more expensive than a Gevey

Factory unlock will be better in the long run and no more expensive than a Gevey

£125 sterling with Vodafone I've been quoted by that shop in Dublin today. don't know if i'd trust one of ebay. unless omeone has actually bought one and pointed me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Just pick one with high feedback, I have gotten a lot of phones unlocked on ebay with no hassle. If it goes wrong just get a refund from Paypal.

paddy wrote: »
    Just pick one with high feedback, I have gotten a lot of phones unlocked on ebay with no hassle. If it goes wrong just get a refund from Paypal.

cheers paddy...can you recommend one to me if you've done it before then so? No point paying an arm and a leg for it just! It's only an iPhone 4 after all and it's cheap that's why I'm buying it!

Thanks again.

just been told the baseband is 4.12.05 so anyone know if this helps me find out if it can be unlocked and jailbroken? It's also not updated to ios7 either thank god!

cheers. a lot less than the 125 i was already quoted!! how long does it actually take then to come?

They say 1-3 weeks, I found in most cases it was around a week. They seem to get very busy around new iphone launches, it should be reasonably quick at the moment.
    You can keep an eye on it here to check if it has been unlocked.

http://iphoneimei.info/

They say 1-3 weeks, I found in most cases it was around a week. They seem to get very busy around new iphone launches, it should be reasonably quick at the moment.
    You can keep an eye on it here to check if it has been unlocked.

http://iphoneimei.info/

feel like such a tool lads! I just found out its locked to o2 uk and not vodafone uk...does that make any difference?? I believe its a lot cheaper to get it factory unlocked by them and if so i'd do that! any suggestions? paddy there must e something similar on ebay to what you were saying so i'll look for that!

• Advertisement

Get an O2 uk sim and put credit on it. They used to take £15 credit to unlock them so not sure if it's the same.

have mt own old o2 uk sim card here that i aint used in ages so any ideas how to find out if they still do the same...guessing by you saying that then i dont needa be the original owner...just did a checkmend report and came back all clear :D

Probably ring them and ask?

suppose its worth a go alrite

yep justdone live chat with them online and its being unlocked for £15. some job!

now just needa get the guy to erase everything from it i believe from what i read last nite about new activation lock thingy. whats that all about like? if he erases everything then surely it'll clear all that and i'll just have to power up the phone and set it up...

Nearly sure that's just with iOS 7. Make sure he turns off find my iPhone and erases all content and settings

and will he need internet access to do that...? most likely..

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Hi folks,

I bought a used iphone on ebay, locked to the 3 network. I went into a couple of the unlocking shops in town but they said it's not possible to unlock a 3 network phone. Does anybody have any info on this?

Cheers

To be honest from what I found out last week in trying to get mine unlocked wast hat in Ireland they say they cannot unlock meteor or three phones and only the network can...
    you can pay around €50 for a Vodafone unlock, €20-25 for an o2 one or get them done in one of them unlocking shops although this may or may not be a factory unlock.

It's also different when buying one from abroad though...If you get a Vodafone UK one it costs £125 sterling to get them boll*cks to unlock it whereas mine I thankfully found out was o2 and all you have to do is buy a UK sim card with £15 credit on it, make a call to link the phone to the sim card on the network - can be a free call as part of your plan - and they will then take the £15 credit and unlock it within 72 hours they say but I eventually got mine linked yesterday and asked them through their live chat service at 12.30pm and got an email saying it was done at 4.30 pm! Great job!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

and will he need internet access to do that...? most likely..

No need for Internet access. Either he or you can do it. You simply go into settings/general/reset and wipe the phone with a full reset.

It's only on iOS 7 the the original owner's Apple ID is required for activation.

Advertisement