Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

mcg1987 wrote: »
    To be honest from what I found out last week in trying to get mine unlocked wast hat in Ireland they say they cannot unlock meteor or three phones and only the network can...
    you can pay around €50 for a Vodafone unlock, €20-25 for an o2 one or get them done in one of them unlocking shops although this may or may not be a factory unlock.

It's also different when buying one from abroad though...If you get a Vodafone UK one it costs £125 sterling to get them boll*cks to unlock it whereas mine I thankfully found out was o2 and all you have to do is buy a UK sim card with £15 credit on it, make a call to link the phone to the sim card on the network - can be a free call as part of your plan - and they will then take the £15 credit and unlock it within 72 hours they say but I eventually got mine linked yesterday and asked them through their live chat service at 12.30pm and got an email saying it was done at 4.30 pm! Great job!

It's not £125 for a Vodafone uk unlock. That's what those chancers were trying to rob you of. There's plenty of sites and eBay ads to get it done much much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

ive got an iphone 5, just bought it off ebay but is locked to o2, anyway i can unlock it myself and how would i go about doing this?

ive jailbroken my old ipod touch before but i presume its not as straightforward on the iphone 5?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

ive got an iphone 5, just bought it off ebay but is locked to o2, anyway i can unlock it myself and how would i go about doing this?

ive jailbroken my old ipod touch before but i presume its not as straightforward on the iphone 5?

I take it you mean O2.ie? If so, it's a simple matter of filling in a form in their site and requesting unlocking. They will ask the reason and you should choose "travel abroad".

E&OE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Sorry if it's been asked before but..

I have just had my Iphone 5 unlocked by Meteor.

They're instructions tell me to insert new Sim and then the phone will "brick" until I connect it to Itunes and the unlocking process takes place.

It says though at the end that when all the unlocking has been done it will then be locked to the new network and I'll have to contact that network to get it unlocked again.

Is this the process?

I am going abroad for a few weeks and hoped to use my Iphone while abroad with an Australian Sim. Will I have to request that network to unlock it again?

Might be a bit of hassle if they require a minimum spend.

Thanks

No it won't lock to another network. Once apple unlock it, it stays unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

guil wrote: »
    No it won't lock to another network. Once apple unlock it, it stays unlocked.

Thanks, just found something similar here and it does seem that Meteor are talking through their hoop! :pac:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22489738#22489738

Bizarre that they would send such a mail.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

PopTarts wrote: »
    Thanks, just found something similar here and it does seem that Meteor are talking through their hoop! :pac:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22489738#22489738

Bizarre that they would send such a mail.

eMobile do the same, equally clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

My iphone came with 6.1.3 installed. Can I downgrade the iOS so then I can Jailbreak it? How?

My iphone came with 6.1.3 installed. Can I downgrade the iOS so then I can Jailbreak it? How?

How many times are you gonna ask questions that were already answered? Pretty sure you asked that already but what iPhone have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

guil wrote: »
    How many times are you gonna ask questions that were already answered? Pretty sure you asked that already but what iPhone have you got?

No. I asked if there was jailbreak for my iOS version.

Now I'm asking if I can downgrade the iOS and then jailbreak it.

I have the iPhone5.

Any tutorial on how to do this?

• Advertisement

No you can't downgrade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Curios Pbarr, have you taken the plunge yet?

I'm half tempted to but at the moment I'd prefer to keep my jailbreak as well because I have the IOS 7 theme which is decent for appearances and another few tweaks I'm using.

I updated yesterday and everything is working perfectly. I was having a problem with signal dropping so I contacted Apple tech support who advised me to update and it seems to have solved that problem as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

pbarr wrote: »
    I updated yesterday and everything is working perfectly. I was having a problem with signal dropping so I contacted Apple tech support who advised me to update and it seems to have solved that problem as well.
    What gevey Sim did you buy? I'm half thinking about it now after you getting through it but won't be for a week or so I try it. Definitely need my phone this weekend so not willing to chance it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I can't show you the exact one I bought because its over 90 days since I bought it but its this one version 2.02 and bought from that seller.
    The only thing you can't do when you use it is use the personal hotspot. When I try to turn it on it tells me to contact my previous carrier which the phone had been locked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hey, I just bought a 2nd hand iphone 4. The previous owner never reset it and didn't disable 'find my iphone' so i can't reset it without his apple password. Is there any way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

Can I buy an iphone 5s from us apple store and unlock it to work on 3 here in Ireland? is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭mcw92

Isco wrote: »
    Can I buy an iphone 5s from us apple store and unlock it to work on 3 here in Ireland? is that possible?

iPhones bought direct from apple are already unlocked unless you but it with the contract attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

mcw92 wrote: »
    iPhones bought direct from apple are already unlocked unless you but it with the contract attached.
    if i buy one through AT&T on the apple us store do I need to have a contract? sorry I have no idea about this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8 c0nrad

My dad got an iPhone 5s as an upgrade on his O2 contract, which I want to use with my meteor sim.

Will O2 give out the unlock code even though the handset is brand new?

If not, is it possible to unlock the phone another way?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

c0nrad wrote: »
    My dad got an iPhone 5s as an upgrade on his O2 contract, which I want to use with my meteor sim.

Cheers

this may work http://www.ebay.ie/itm/UNLOCK-IPHONE-2G-3G-3GS-4G-4-4S-and-IPHONE-5-02-O2-or-TESCO-MOBILE-in-IRELAND-/200982734070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ecb8124f6

EDIT: no mention of the 5s sorry

• Advertisement

c0nrad wrote: »

Cheers

O2.ie usually unlock the handset on request on their site, usually after a week-ten days.

When choosing reason to unlock, choose "travel abroad".

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

Hi guys,

I have an iPhone 4s running iOS 6.0.1 and firmware 3.0.04. It's locked to eMobile but I believe meteor sims will work with it?

But I want to move to 48 so bought an R-Sim 5 off eBay for €8. Wondering now though, when I go to try and set up the r sim, which carrier do I set it as locked to? In my settings it says the carrier is Meteor 13.0.

I don't wanna try anything yet because I think the r sim are a once off use to unlock carriers? Or will it work when you take it out and try a different sim?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

I requested an unlock code from Meteor and to be fair they responded very quickly (<2days).

However, the information given to me in the email was absolute bull. It seems to have been written by the least technically literate person they could get their hands on. Talk of the phone 'bricking' and 'locking to the new network'.

The email comes from a noreply address though so you cant even let them know that what they are sending is inaccurate.

For those who are getting their iphones unlocked, all you need to do is put the new sim in and go through the Apple activation sequence that comes on screen. It's as simple as that. No software update, no 'bricking', no locking to the new network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Hi guys I have a iphone4 thats locked to orange uk but they wont give me the unlock code. What options do I have to unlock it so I can use it inn ireland.

Is there a site out there who I can pay to unlock it and how much would it cost

Sound

LaVail wrote: »
    Hi guys I have a iphone4 thats locked to orange uk but they wont give me the unlock code. What options do I have to unlock it so I can use it inn ireland.

Is there a site out there who I can pay to unlock it and how much would it cost

Sound

One of the myriad UK sites like this one, for example: http://www.officialappleunlocks.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

culabula wrote: »
    One of the myriad UK sites like this one, for example: http://www.officialappleunlocks.co.uk

thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Hello all, would appreciate some help with this.

I have an old iPhone 4 that was on three ireland. The contract is long since cancelled. Hasn't been used in a couple of years. I inherited it off a friend, but don't know what the original phone number was on this phone

I would like to use it, as my existing phone is bankaxed. But three ireland unlocks are not available on www.officialappleunlocks.co.uk/

Is there anything I can do to make this phone usable?

Thanks

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

If your friend was the original owner he can request 3 to unlock the phone and tbh thats the only way you will get it unlocked

I have an old iPhone 4 that was on three ireland. The contract is long since cancelled. Hasn't been used in a couple of years. I inherited it off a friend, but don't know what the original phone number was on this phone

I would like to use it, as my existing phone is bankaxed. But three ireland unlocks are not available on www.officialappleunlocks.co.uk/

Thanks

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

If your friend was the original owner he can request 3 to unlock the phone and tbh thats the only way you will get it unlocked

Thanks

GH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this? A friend of mine said that he read online, for jailbreaking purposes, it's better to plug phone in and update rather than doing an OTA update because OTA is done in parts? The reason I ask is because when I plugged it in to update the file was 1.2GB and it kept failing, had to do it OTA which was only 17MB or something similar. Anyway, any truth to this?

Advertisement