Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Bought a Gevey sim on eBay for €8. Took 2 weeks to arrive from china and after 4 months my 4S on 6.0.1 is finally unlocked. Genuinely surprised it worked so easily.

Did you have any problem getting the personal hotspot working after unlocking this way. When I turn it on I get a message to contact my previous carrier which is no good as they wouldn't unlock it for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

pbarr wrote: »
    Did you have any problem getting the personal hotspot working after unlocking this way. When I turn it on I get a message to contact my previous carrier which is no good as they wouldn't unlock it for me anyway.
    i haven't had any issues with the hotspot. I'm with 3 who allow it though so that may be why.

Strange, phone was locked to Meteor and hotspot worked fine then I unlocked it with the Gevey and switched to Tesco who allow tethering but as soon as I try to switch on the hotspot I am told to contact Meteor. The phone is working fine every other way.
    Did you change operators after you unlocked it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Strange, phone was locked to Meteor and hotspot worked fine then I unlocked it with the Gevey and switched to Tesco who allow tethering but as soon as I try to switch on the hotspot I am told to contact Meteor. The phone is working fine every other way.
    Did you change operators after you unlocked it?
    Only from UK 3 to the Irish one. Have you made sure to set your phone up with tesco's Internet settings? That could be it.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

Only from UK 3 to the Irish one. Have you made sure to set your phone up with tesco's Internet settings? That could be it.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

Thanks for that but I've been there but no joy. I think I'll just have to wait for a jailbreak and maybe I'll be able to get an app that will set up one. I'm not too bad because data on the phone itself is ok.
    I'd say you're ok because you only went from 3 UK to 3 Ireland. If you go to a different carrier It might not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Sorry if this has been asked before. Yesterday I bought an unlocked iphone 4 off adverts.ie. Phone was as advertised, in perfect working condition. I haven't put my sim card in yet because i need to get it cut to a mini size for it to fit, but i started playing around with the apps anyway and setting up the phone. The first thing that it asked me to do was to update my itunes, so i downloaded itunes 11. The phone is working fine but when i went to download the facebook app, it told me that the iphone had never been used on itunes and i needed to connect it. So i did. But then the message 'there is a problem with your iphone' appeared. First of all, i thought it was because my old itunes account (apple id) was different to the one i set up on the iphone, so i signed in using the new one, but that didn't fix it and the message is still there. I'm wondering if i put in my mini sim card would that make a difference? I'm really clueless as to what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

AllWasWell wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before. Yesterday I bought an unlocked iphone 4 off adverts.ie. Phone was as advertised, in perfect working condition. I haven't put my sim card in yet because i need to get it cut to a mini size for it to fit, but i started playing around with the apps anyway and setting up the phone. The first thing that it asked me to do was to update my itunes, so i downloaded itunes 11. The phone is working fine but when i went to download the facebook app, it told me that the iphone had never been used on itunes and i needed to connect it. So i did. But then the message 'there is a problem with your iphone' appeared. First of all, i thought it was because my old itunes account (apple id) was different to the one i set up on the iphone, so i signed in using the new one, but that didn't fix it and the message is still there. I'm wondering if i put in my mini sim card would that make a difference? I'm really clueless as to what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

You might need to put your sim in first as it may have been recently unlocked by a service provider and simply need activation. Try that and come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Hey folks,

I'm running an old version of xbmc which is acting up. Various apps are broken or have disappeared. The apple tv software is 5.0.2. I want to update to Frodo. Is this possible without updating the apple tv?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

So my Mrs mother in law got a brand new iPhone 5 in the UK from Orange. She gave my mrs her upgrade and is still using her old phone. When we came back to Ireland obviously it won't register her sim.

How should I go about unlocking a new iPhone 5. I'm nervous I'll break it somehow. Is their a professional shop in dublin city that does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Hey guys,

anyone here ever used the cellunlocker.net site? I seem to be swaying towards trust with this regarding a factory unlock of a german tmobile iphone 5....

Just wondering if they are trustworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

El Spearo wrote: »
    Hey guys,

anyone here ever used the cellunlocker.net site? I seem to be swaying towards trust with this regarding a factory unlock of a german tmobile iphone 5....

Just wondering if they are trustworthy.

No, I haven't. But I used theiphoneunlock.co.uk to unlock my T-Mobile UK iPhone 5 and can vouch for them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Hello folks,

I have an iPhone 3GS, (new bootrom) which was updated to 1.6.3 :mad:
    The Baseband is 06.15.00.

The phone was previously jailbroken untethered, unlocked and working fine.

I done a restore as a new phone through iTunes.

I have done a tethered Jailbreak using the 6.0.ipsw with redsnOw, installed ultrasn0w 1.2.8 in Cydia.

In Settings-General-About, the Sim card is recognised by Carrier, ICCID number etc. I have to turn On Aeroplane mode then Off again for that to happen after a re-boot.

But am still getting the 'Searching'.

Is there a simple setting I need to change or a fix for this issue?
    Something in the Jailbreak options through redsn0w I could try if needed

Same issue with Snowbreze method as well.

Thanks in advance.

Problem resolved................

Done a restore again...

Jaibreaked with redsn0w using the Downgraded Baseband option and selecting Cydia.

rebooted and unlocked with ultrasn0w, working fine now although still tethered.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

DELETED SORRY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

Hi Folks,
    I've an ipad 2, jailbroken.
    It says its on 5.1.1 in cydia.
    I have no files stored anywhere, tinyumbrella files are lost.

Can I get the ipad to os6?
    Can I keep the jailbreak?

Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭mcw92

patch wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I've an ipad 2, jailbroken.
    It says its on 5.1.1 in cydia.
    I have no files stored anywhere, tinyumbrella files are lost.

Can I get the ipad to os6?
    Can I keep the jailbreak?

Thanks....

Update the iPad to 6.1.2 firmware at MAX, not 6.1.3(not jailbreakable).

Select your correct device here and download.
    Do a google on how to install in then, think its holding down shift/alt and press update in iTunes, but not fully sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

mcw92 wrote: »

Select your correct device here and download.
    Do a google on how to install in then, think its holding down shift/alt and press update in iTunes, but not fully sure.

Good Man, thanks.
    Time to get back on the jailbreaking horse again...:D

If you update to 6.1.3 is it possible to go back to 6.1.2. Its on an Iphone 4S.

If you update to 6.1.3 is it possible to go back to 6.1.2. Its on an Iphone 4S.

Nope, no way, Apple sign every IOS update, they don't allow downgrades.

I heard theres ways if you have saved SHSH, but if you don't know what im on about there, then no, theres no way.

Nope, no way, Apple sign every IOS update, they don't allow downgrades.

I heard theres ways if you have saved SHSH, but if you don't know what im on about there, then no, theres no way.

I know what you mean and I have the SHSH saved using Tinyumbrella before upgradin but not how or if I can use them to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

I know what you mean and I have the SHSH saved using Tinyumbrella before upgradin but not how or if I can use them to go back.

I had to downgrade on the iPhone 3GS from 6.1.3 to 5.1.1 so I could make it untethered.

Download the original IPSW firmware that you want to downgrade to.

Then download and run iFaith v1.5.9

Select Build * signed* IPSW w/Blobs

It will ask you to browse for the blob (the one which you saved with tinyumbrella) I just downloaded the blob I needed from the 'Show available SHSH Caches on Server' option in iFaith.

Then it will ask you to browse to the original firmware which you saved and want to downgrade to.

iFaith will then create this custom firmware for you. (it saves on Desktop)

I closed iFaith after it created the custom firmware and used the following method...

Download redsn0w 0.9.15 b3 and run as administrator.

The process is to use redsn0w to put the phone in pwned dfu mode, then use iTunes to restore the custom/signed firmware.

redsn0w__________Extras_______Pwned DFU

iTunes knows your in recovery mode, so press shift on the keyboard and click at restore.
    Browse to the custom firmware on your computer in which you created with iFaith.

That done the trick for me, but like I said it was iPhone 3GS from 6.1.3 to 5.1.1. Do a search, might be the same process.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

Ok I just payed 30 euro to get my iPhone 4 unlocked?!?! I presumed that was to jailbreak too because I thought one came with the other but alas no there's no cydia on my phone. I got it done by a guy in cork city on the grand parade if anyone knows him. Can I remedy this myself easily or bring it back?? For the money I'm so annoyed

Katie1289 wrote: »
    Ok I just payed 30 euro to get my iPhone 4 unlocked?!?! I presumed that was to jailbreak too because I thought one came with the other but alas no there's no cydia on my phone. I got it done by a guy in cork city on the grand parade if anyone knows him. Can I remedy this myself easily or bring it back?? For the money I'm so annoyed

Is it definetly unlocked?
    If so you should be happy he didn't jailbreak it ha.
    This means it is factory unlocked as opposed to a jailbreak method.

As for you jailbreaking it now. What iOS version are you running?
    6.1.3 or above and your f**cked I'm afraid.
    Below, well good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

derra wrote: »
    I had to downgrade on the iPhone 3GS from 6.1.3 to 5.1.1 so I could make it untethered.

Download the original IPSW firmware that you want to downgrade to.

Then download and run iFaith v1.5.9

Select Build * signed* IPSW w/Blobs

It will ask you to browse for the blob (the one which you saved with tinyumbrella) I just downloaded the blob I needed from the 'Show available SHSH Caches on Server' option in iFaith.

Then it will ask you to browse to the original firmware which you saved and want to downgrade to.

iFaith will then create this custom firmware for you. (it saves on Desktop)

I closed iFaith after it created the custom firmware and used the following method...

Download redsn0w 0.9.15 b3 and run as administrator.

The process is to use redsn0w to put the phone in pwned dfu mode, then use iTunes to restore the custom/signed firmware.

redsn0w__________Extras_______Pwned DFU

iTunes knows your in recovery mode, so press shift on the keyboard and click at restore.
    Browse to the custom firmware on your computer in which you created with iFaith.

That done the trick for me, but like I said it was iPhone 3GS from 6.1.3 to 5.1.1. Do a search, might be the same process.

This method will work for 3GS but it will not work for 4s.

1. I bought my iPhone 5 with ios 6.1.3. Now I look at it and it updated automatically to 6.1.4. How can I stop these updates?

2. According to these pages is possible now to Jailbreak iPhone 5 with ios 6.1.4.

Anyone know if this is just fake?

http://icysn0w.com/
    http://www.howtojailbreakiphone5s.com/
    http://www.autoomobile.com/news/redsnow-ios-6-jailbreak-guide-iphone/10021083/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

1. I bought my iPhone 5 with ios 6.1.3. Now I look at it and it updated automatically to 6.1.4. How can I stop these updates?

2. According to these pages is possible now to Jailbreak iPhone 5 with ios 6.1.4.

Anyone know if this is just fake?

http://icysn0w.com/
    http://www.howtojailbreakiphone5s.com/
    http://www.autoomobile.com/news/redsnow-ios-6-jailbreak-guide-iphone/10021083/
    Your phone didn't update itself. You had to accept and install it. As far as I know there is no jailbreak for 6.1.4

guil wrote: »
    Your phone didn't update itself. You had to accept and install it. As far as I know there is no jailbreak for 6.1.4

So I believe you or me are mistaken, but I don't have time to investigate that now, because I was never requested to update the firmware...

Anyway is there a way to downgrade the firmware on my iPhone 5 so I can use a jailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Avery

Hi Folks

I was looking a little bit of help/advice if anyone could offer it.

I was given an old iPhone 3G (IOS 4.1 (8B117) and modem firmware 05.13.04

I have a pay as you go sim with 3 Mobile (with DATA). I jailbroke it and unlocked with Ultrasnow.

I am able to connect to 3 and send and receive calls/messages etc but my one issue is with 3g. When I turn on Mobile Data in the general settings (network) I get the E sign in the top left and my mobile internet is incredibly slow.

I have Data Roaming set to Off
    I have VPN listed as (Not Connected)

Is there anything I can do to get my mobile internet up to a decent speed? I had a very cheap HTC before this and the mobile internet speed was much quicker.

Thanks

How to downgrade the iPhone 5 to make it untethered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

How to downgrade the iPhone 5 to make it untethered?

You can't. Put it in a bin

Advertisement