Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Anyway is there a way to downgrade the firmware on my iPhone 5 so I can use a jailbreak?

There is no JB beyond 6.1.3 for iPhone 5. IOS7 will be released soon (next month?) with a JB soon after. It's not long to wait so sit tight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fitzmonster

could someone tell me if it's possible to restore an iphone back to normal after jailbreaking and unlocking? i have an iphone 4 and feel i'm going to be waiting a while to get my unlock code off emobile - if it's possible to unlock it temporarily (soft-unlock?) so that i can use it for the next week or so while i'm waiting, that would be ideal, but i'm a bit hesitant because i know that when i do get the code, i will have a factory unlocked, non-jailbroken, pristine iphone which might be more stable. i'm not a wiz with computers so i feel like i ought to wait, but then again i'm dying to use the phone!

any help would be much appreciated! thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

guil wrote: »
    You can't. Put it in a bin

Comments like this are really unwelcome. You if you don't know how to behave you should stay quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

could someone tell me if it's possible to restore an iphone back to normal after jailbreaking and unlocking? i have an iphone 4 and feel i'm going to be waiting a while to get my unlock code off emobile - if it's possible to unlock it temporarily (soft-unlock?) so that i can use it for the next week or so while i'm waiting, that would be ideal, but i'm a bit hesitant because i know that when i do get the code, i will have a factory unlocked, non-jailbroken, pristine iphone which might be more stable. i'm not a wiz with computers so i feel like i ought to wait, but then again i'm dying to use the phone!

any help would be much appreciated! thank you!

Unless you never updated the phone it's not possible to unlock it by software. Just so you know, you don't use a code to unlock an iPhone. It's done through iTunes and you should get a text or email from eMobile letting you know when it's ready.

Some people have posted the contents of the email here and in the email it says that when you put another sim in that the phone will lock to that network. That's not the case so just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,001 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have a jailbroken ATV2 on 4.4.4 that I lent to somebody while I was away for the year. XBMC seems to be quite slow at the moment, is their anything I can do like a factory reset without losing my jailbreak or having to update my firmware to an unjailbreakable version?

EDIT: Got it sorted by following this link. Uninstalled XBMC and all it's associated files and once the fresh install was complete it seems to be as snappy as I remembered it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 tractortom

Avery wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I was looking a little bit of help/advice if anyone could offer it.

I was given an old iPhone 3G (IOS 4.1 (8B117) and modem firmware 05.13.04

I have a pay as you go sim with 3 Mobile (with DATA). I jailbroke it and unlocked with Ultrasnow.

I am able to connect to 3 and send and receive calls/messages etc but my one issue is with 3g. When I turn on Mobile Data in the general settings (network) I get the E sign in the top left and my mobile internet is incredibly slow.

I have Data Roaming set to Off
    I have VPN listed as (Not Connected)

Is there anything I can do to get my mobile internet up to a decent speed? I had a very cheap HTC before this and the mobile internet speed was much quicker.

Thanks

The problem is the coverage in your area, or the SIM, as you will be aware "E" shows GPRS coverage, you should contact your operator and get a new SIM.

tractortom wrote: »
    The problem is the coverage in your area, or the SIM, as you will be aware "E" shows GPRS coverage, you should contact your operator and get a new SIM.

E is for edge. A little circle signifies GPRS

guil wrote: »
    E is for edge. A little circle signifies GPRS

Correct, but indistinguishable to the end user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Has anyone ever had a cydia app causing youtube not to play on wifi? Last week I had no issues. This week I have been unable to watch any youtube videos, through the App, safari or 3rd party youtube apps, on wifi but have been able on 3G.

Have tried numerous things but nothing seems to work. I haven't downloaded anything new from Cydia but thought perhaps something could have caused and issue and was wondering if this has been the case for anyone else before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Has anyone ever had a cydia app causing youtube not to play on wifi? Last week I had no issues. This week I have been unable to watch any youtube videos, through the App, safari or 3rd party youtube apps, on wifi but have been able on 3G.

Have tried numerous things but nothing seems to work. I haven't downloaded anything new from Cydia but thought perhaps something could have caused and issue and was wondering if this has been the case for anyone else before?

Did you make any changes to your router? If they play when you use your 3G network but not on your wifi network, then that could be the problem.

• Advertisement

Did you make any changes to your router? If they play when you use your 3G network but not on your wifi network, then that could be the problem.

Thought that myself. Tried resetting the router, opening ports to no change. Also 2 other members of the household with iPhones not experiencing similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Hi,

Might be a stupid question but i bought a phone on adverts.ie last thursday stupidely not checking anything got home put in a meteor sim as was told it was on meteor network had 3g and wifi but no network to make or receive calls and texts, got the IMEI and ran a search online and it appeared the phone was reported lost or stolen to the network provider.

Even if I get the phone unlocked and jailbroken am i right in saying it still wont work?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

It's blacklisted and will never work as a phone in Ireland unless Meteor take it off their blacklist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Another stupid question, sorry in advance :-)
    My mate has just got an iPhone 5 & he is upgrading from a 4. To get all his apps & contacts, emails etc does he just have to log into his Gmail account on the 5? Or does it take a few hours to transfer everything over through a pc?
    I think the last time I done it for him he was moving from a Nokia and that's how it took ages

wilser wrote: »
    Another stupid question, sorry in advance :-)
    My mate has just got an iPhone 5 & he is upgrading from a 4. To get all his apps & contacts, emails etc does he just have to log into his Gmail account on the 5? Or does it take a few hours to transfer everything over through a pc?
    I think the last time I done it for him he was moving from a Nokia and that's how it took ages
    all he has to do is backup in itunes or on icloud and then when he is setting up the 5 select restore from backup

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catchy

Hi

I would like to know if anyone can answer this for me.

I recently purchased an iPhone 5 brand new in package from a cousin. The phone is locked to Vodafone. I need it unlocked. Over 7 days ago, cousin requested the phone to be unlocked. He was told it was unlocked but still Apple tell me the phone is the same, "locked to carrier Vodafone Ireland".

How long does this unlocked procedure take?
    Also when it is unlocked, is it a generic Vodafone sim or different Network sim that is to be used to Back up & Restore through iTunes? Finding conflicting stories about this one too and to be honest, the guys in the Vodafone store didnt even know what sim is to be used.

PLEASE someone help as I am emigrating in 2 weeks and need this phone unlocked.

Thanks to all...

catchy wrote: »
    Hi

I would like to know if anyone can answer this for me.

I recently purchased an iPhone 5 brand new in package from a cousin. The phone is locked to Vodafone. I need it unlocked. Over 7 days ago, cousin requested the phone to be unlocked. He was told it was unlocked but still Apple tell me the phone is the same, "locked to carrier Vodafone Ireland".

How long does this unlocked procedure take?
    Also when it is unlocked, is it a generic Vodafone sim or different Network sim that is to be used to Back up & Restore through iTunes? Finding conflicting stories about this one too and to be honest, the guys in the Vodafone store didnt even know what sim is to be used.

PLEASE someone help as I am emigrating in 2 weeks and need this phone unlocked.

Thanks to all...
    You don't need to restore to unlock it. Put a sim in from another network and sync with iTunes and the message will ce up to say its unlocked. Your cousin should of got a message saying the phone with x imei number is set to unlock. Is it the correct imei number?

Also ios7 is released this evening. If you want to kill 2 birds with one stone you can restore the phone and get ios7 along with thee adage that it is unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I have an iPhone 4s unlocked using a Gevey ultra sim. If I update to IOS 7 will it stop working?

pbarr wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 4s unlocked using a Gevey ultra sim. If I update to IOS 7 will it stop working?

Not answering from a position of certainty, but as far as I know it won't. Exact same situation for myself but think the gevey is only for 6.01 to 6.3

Not answering from a position of certainty, but as far as I know it won't. Exact same situation for myself but think the gevey is only for 6.01 to 6.3

I'd say we'll find out in due course anyway but I don't want to update and it not to work and have the hassle of going back to the version that I'm on now.
    There are videos on YouTube showing that it works but I don't think you can go by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

I'd say we'll find out in due course anyway but I don't want to update and it not to work and have the hassle of going back to the version that I'm on now.
    There are videos on YouTube showing that it works but I don't think you can go by them.

I have iPhone 5 with ios 6.1.4 (strangely I'm sure it was 6.1.3 before, and I didn't update).

With the release of ios 7 is there out already any recommended ways to jailbreak my phone with my ios version?

Curios Pbarr, have you taken the plunge yet?

I'm half tempted to but at the moment I'd prefer to keep my jailbreak as well because I have the IOS 7 theme which is decent for appearances and another few tweaks I'm using.

Curios Pbarr, have you taken the plunge yet?

No I haven't I'm using a Gevey sim to unlock and I'm afraid I'll lose that if I update. Don't think you can go back if you update.

I have iPhone 5 with ios 6.1.4 (strangely I'm sure it was 6.1.3 before, and I didn't update).

With the release of ios 7 is there out already any recommended ways to jailbreak my phone with my ios version?

Have a look at this:
    http://www.redmondpie.com/update-on-jailbreak-for-ios-7-6.1.46.1.3/

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I got a iPhone 4s off a friend from the US that canceled the contract to get the 5s, but t-mobile wont release the unlock, it's not blacklisted but how do I find out what version of IOS it is running so I can jailbreak it? Friend hasn't got a clue and it won't let me past the change language screen, Thanks

Hi Farmlife, DM me the IMEI and I will find out about it for you.

Farmlife, this should help.

iPhone 4S 16GB White
    IOS: 6.1.4
    IMEI: 013054006XXXXXX
    Serial Number: C39HC7XXXXXX
    Activated: Yes
    Telephone Technical Support: Expired
    Repairs & Service Coverage: Expired
    Estimated Purchase Date: March 1, 2012
    Country Purchased: United States
    SIM Lock: Locked

super, thanks for that. Do you think a jail break should sort the unlock out or might i need to get one of those sim card trays with a unlock built in? thanks

Farmlife, Gavey SIM Card is your only job, unless you go for a factory unlock, what network is it locked to?

• Advertisement

tractortom wrote: »
    Farmlife, Gavey SIM Card is your only job, unless you go for a factory unlock, what network is it locked to?

t-mobile

Advertisement