Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tractortom

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I checked that and it says congratulations, its not a stolen phone. But that site is charging 150USD to unlock it, which is crazy. Should the Gavey 7+, 8 or 8+ d the trick? Thanks

Farmlife , yes the Gavey SIM will do the job, but be careful NOT to upgrade as each IOS and Baseband has a particular version produced that will only work with that release. Also be careful where you buy it, only get it from the Official Gavey Site as there are a lot of fake rubbish imitations on eBay etc.

thanks for that, coz e-bay was where i was looking

Hey Farmlife did you get sorted out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mph95

Could anyone tell me how to unlock an iPhone 4 (Vodafone) and iPhone 4s (3) for free? I don't want to jail break them, just unlock them for a meteor sim card

There is no free unlock available for iPhones since the release of 6.1.3 was released about two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Any idea or timeframe for when an iOS 7 jailbreak will be readily available?

There is no jailbreak for iOS7 at the moment, any sites claiming that there is are talking BS or trying to scam you

A jailbreak can be announced anytime soon, it won't however solve your unlocking problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

tractortom wrote: »
    There is no free unlock available for iPhones since the release of 6.1.2 was released about two years ago.

???

• Advertisement

I know all about basebands and unlocking. No new iPhone baseband after 01.59.00 is unlock able. It was released with the iPhone 4 over 3 years ago. Where are you getting that 6.1.2 was released 2 years ago?

Hey Farmlife did you get sorted out?

I had bought a €10 one off ebay that said 6.1.4 before i looked at the gaevy site, but when i went to the site they only cover up till the 6.1.3, so i'm going to wait to see if this works, even for calls and texts, i can deal with data on wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

ok gonna try in here to see if anyone can help. Have another thread going on three's page but no help really.

Story is myself and the girlfriend switched to three from o2 at the weekend. Did it in the three shop at about 2pm and were told to wait 2 hours or until the signal dropped off but it didn't go by 7pm so i switched mine into an iPhone 4 and it worked...had full signal but was using the temporary three number. Did the same with hers and was the same story. we could both ring each other but was showing as the temporary number. Anyway we went into the shop again on Sunday afternoon to query this and were told it can take longer at weekends which is fair enough...we both still had full three signal so didn't care. but the guy in the shop told her to try her old sim card to see if there was still a network on o2 and he swapped the sims and o2 one said no service so he came to the conclusion that it must have fully ported....This is where the problem starts.

Mine worked fine...number changed to o2 one about 4pm so i'm happy. Hers however would not pick up the three signal again that she had been getting all night since I originally put the new sim card into the phone. I tried rebooting it and all different things but nto no avail so I went back to the shop and got a different fella who was useless.
    He wouldn't listen to what I was telling him and said it was the fault of the phone...so why was it working all night until the sims were swapped in the shop an hour previously???? he gave me a new sim card and said to try that after activating it but still it doesnt work.

the phone is an unlocked and jailbroken 3gs...i know its ancient ! but anyway it says the is network restricted and to select a different network in settings which it wont do. I got her to phone three customer service today and she got someone who didn't understand english basically and all she was told was to plug it into itunes but not what exactly to do with it....but if its updated it will lose the unlock and jailbreak so I need some help guys...has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it??

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Alrite lads and ladies,

After having severe bother with the girlfriends 3gs after switching from 02 to three I've decided to buy a second hand iPhone 4 tomorrow here in dublin. It's locked to vodafone uk and I don't think there is any way for me to get them to give me the factory unlock code so my question is if I take it to a guy who has unlocked numerous iPhones for me before will I be able to update the software to ios7 beforehand and indeed after the unlock. As it is not a factory unlock I'm assuming not but though I'd ask anyway...

Cheers :)

well I found the answer to the second part that it can't be updated again after it is unlocked because it's not a factory unlock but if I put ios7 on it can I then get it unlocked and use it here on 3? Or does anyone know if I could get the code off vodafone uk some way without paying a fortune! ? I don't know the original owner but I know the phone is not blacklisted/barred/stolen etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

One of the other lads will be along and know more about the process.

But I would say that if you can get iOS7 onto it and then get it unlocked, you may as well.

Considering it's an iPhone 4 the likes of iOS8 most likely wouldn't work well in a 4, if at all.

The only thing to be wary of is iOS7 is still working out bugs so if you got it and couldn't update you maybe stuck with an unreliable older version after a couple months.

Herrick wrote: »
    One of the other lads will be along and know more about the process.

But I would say that if you can get iOS7 onto it and then get it unlocked, you may as well.

Considering it's an iPhone 4 the likes of iOS8 most likely wouldn't work well in a 4, if at all.

The only thing to be wary of is iOS7 is still working out bugs so if you got it and couldn't update you maybe stuck with an unreliable older version after a couple months.

yeah to be honest after reading through a heap of threads i may just get the latest version of ios 6 that's available and unlock it then t buck.

Wonder does it take long to do? might even be able to do it myself if I had the right guide like! but i suppose I'd have to know how to select the right ios version to upgrade to and all....any advice greatly appreciated as im picking it up tomoro night!

mcg1987 wrote: »
    yeah to be honest after reading through a heap of threads i may just get the latest version of ios 6 that's available and unlock it then t buck.

Wonder does it take long to do? might even be able to do it myself if I had the right guide like! but i suppose I'd have to know how to select the right ios version to upgrade to and all....any advice greatly appreciated as im picking it up tomoro night!
    You won't be able to update to anything other than 7.0.2 apple aren't singing any other firmware.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    You won't be able to update to anything other than 7.0.2 apple aren't singing any other firmware.

singing any other firmware? mistake i'm guessing..? Can I not get like 6.1.2 or whatever onto the phone then unlock/jailbreak it?

singing any other firmware? mistake i'm guessing..? Can I not get like 6.1.2 or whatever onto the phone then unlock/jailbreak it?

No. iOS is also known as firmware. The only one apple sign now is 7.0.2 so if you try to restore to anything else it will fail

just off the Phone to GSM solutions in abbey street and they said the can't jailbreak and unlock an iphone 4 but they can get a factory unlock for 125 sterling! balls to that! why would they not be able to unlock it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

just off the Phone to GSM solutions in abbey street and they said the can't jailbreak and unlock an iphone 4 but they can get a factory unlock for 125 sterling! balls to that! why would they not be able to unlock it??

I assume the firmware it's on can't be jail broken yet.

Worth remembering that any unlock apart from a factory unlock will get overwritten and re-locked with a software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Assuming the IMEI is clean, one of these should be able to do it for you.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=vodafone+uk+iphone+unlock&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Just to note its impossible to unlock all iPhones including and after the iPhone 4 with ultrasn0w through a jailbreak.

Zcott wrote: »
    I assume the firmware it's on can't be jail broken yet.

Worth remembering that any unlock apart from a factory unlock will get overwritten and re-locked with a software update.

Not sure he didn't even ask the firmware just the type of phone and put me on hold. pretty strange to me.
    Yeah I know that but like was said here earlier I I could get it unlocked and jailbroken on ios 6 i'd be happy because the chances of an iPhone 4 being able to run any newer software than ios 7 seems pretty slim to me so ios6 would do me just fine. I'll know more about firmware when I pick up the phone tonight.
    paddy wrote: »
    Assuming the IMEI is clean, one of these should be able to do it for you.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=vodafone+uk+iphone+unlock&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Yeah I've checked the imei and it is clean so for the reason previously stated I think it would be better for me just to jailbreak and unlock that way than to pay for factory unlocking...

Anyone know where to get this done in Dublin for a 4 and at what cost??

Not sure he didn't even ask the firmware just the type of phone and put me on hold. pretty strange to me.
    Yeah I know that but like was said here earlier I I could get it unlocked and jailbroken on ios 6 i'd be happy because the chances of an iPhone 4 being able to run any newer software than ios 7 seems pretty slim to me so ios6 would do me just fine. I'll know more about firmware when I pick up the phone tonight.

Yeah I've checked the imei and it is clean so for the reason previously stated I think it would be better for me just to jailbreak and unlock that way than to pay for factory unlocking...

Anyone know where to get this done in Dublin for a 4 and at what cost??

You can't unlock an iPhone 4 with software

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Get whoever you bought it from to unlock it. They have to get in touch with the original mobile carrier to process the unlock for free.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    Get whoever you bought it from to unlock it. They have to get in touch with the original mobile carrier to process the unlock for free.

The person can't contact them as he is not the original owner either. Please read before posting on this thread. I have clearly stated numerous times that I do not want or need a factory unlock. It is imply too expensive.

I want to know where to get it JAILBROKEN AND UNLOCKED !

Advertisement