Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

guil wrote: »
    Try it in compatibility mode for xp

I haven't a clue if absinthe jb 5.1.1 so double check that aswell

Im using windows 7, should that make a difference?

Jailbreaknation lists absinthe For the iphone 4 on 5.1.1 as untethered so im not sure where exactly the problem is. Ive jailbroke quite a few devices through various programmes over the last 2 years and this is the first problem ive encountered, usually its from apples end i get grief over trying to install the ios not the JB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know a link to a guide to jailbreak a 3gs on iOS 5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

download redsn0w, it explains everything you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Just wondering can I ask someone here a question about an iphone 4? The girlfriend bought an iphone 4 some time back was jailbroken at the time but she accidently updated it and messed it up completely as the phone had been bought in Spain. After giving her trouble for a couple of weeks she found someone who fixed it for her and had the jailbreak rmoved from it. Question is can she update it now it has been removed?

couple of questions, what version and firmware does it say in settings>general>about? was a gevey sim used to unlock it?

• Advertisement

Just wondering can I ask someone here a question about an iphone 4? The girlfriend bought an iphone 4 some time back was jailbroken at the time but she accidently updated it and messed it up completely as the phone had been bought in Spain. After giving her trouble for a couple of weeks she found someone who fixed it for her and had the jailbreak rmoved from it. Question is can she update it now it has been removed?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

if you mean if it has been reverted back to the regular IOS pre jail break then yeah its fine to update presuming there is a update for it that is .. try the OTA update from the phone see if its up to date

moggser wrote: »
    if you mean if it has been reverted back to the regular IOS pre jail break then yeah its fine to update presuming there is a update for it that is .. try the OTA update from the phone see if its up to date

Im quite sure it has but not 100% sure. Will check later when I get a chance and report back, thanks for your help. :)

just noticed the phone was bought in spain, are you moving there? or living there? is the phone working at the moment?

EDIT it might be locked to the Spanish network what ever that might be

just noticed the phone was bought in spain, are you moving there? or living there? is the phone working at the moment?

She bought it off a guy who had bought it in Spain. She was told it would be fine as long as she didn't update it which she accidently did unfortunately. When she brought it to get fixed she was told she'd need the original sim (Movistar Telefonica?) which she hadn't got or could get as she's using Meteor. But she eventually found someone who got it working for her and they removed the jailbreak but she doesn't know if she can update it or not??

• Advertisement

She bought it off a guy who had bought it in Spain. She was told it would be fine as long as she didn't update it which she accidently did unfortunately. When she brought it to get fixed she was told she'd need the original sim (Movistar Telefonica?) which she hadn't got or could get as she's using Meteor. But she eventually found someone who got it working for her and they removed the jailbreak but she doesn't know if she can update it or not??

Ok is the phone working right now??
    How was the phone unlocked?? Is there a gevey sim in it at the moment

Phone is fine and has been since it was removed, not an ounce of trouble off it since and that's going back nearly a year now I'd say. I don't have it here in front of me now but im pretty sure there is a gevey sim in it. Not sure how it was unlocked though.

Phone is fine and has been since it was removed, not an ounce of trouble off it since and that's going back nearly a year now I'd say. I don't have it here in front of me now but im pretty sure there is a gevey sim in it. Not sure how it was unlocked though.

Oh in that case then you can't update the phone as of yet because the gevey that's in there is for what ever base band your phone's on presently.. if you do update you will have to go find the gevey that is suited to the firmware and baseband your moving upto ... I'm not entirely sure if the "4" can be properly be jailbroke and unlocked yet I'm sure some one here will answer that

Oh in that case then you can't update the phone as of yet because the gevey that's in there is for what ever base band your phone's on presently.. if you do update you will have to go find the gevey that is suited to the firmware and baseband your moving upto ... I'm not entirely sure if the "4" can be properly be jailbroke and unlocked yet I'm sure some one here will answer that

Ok there's no gevey in it just a Meteor sim. :o

Ok there's no gevey in it just a Meteor sim. :o

It's quite possible that it's either a sim free phone or unlocked by other means do you know how by any chance don't wanna give you wrong advice but for the moment dnot hook it up to itunes

It's quite possible that it's either a sim free phone or unlocked by other means do you know how by any chance don't wanna give you wrong advice but for the moment dnot hook it up to itunes
    She reckons it's sim free, no problem hooking it up to itunes and I've no problem putting songs and stuff on it via itunes. It just asks do you want to download & update. She has an itunes account with it

She reckons it's sim free, no problem hooking it up to itunes and I've no problem putting songs and stuff on it via itunes. It just asks do you want to download & update. She has an itunes account with it

If it is sim free you won't have a prob at all

Can you post the info I asked after your first post

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

folks, whats the best and easiest way to transfer movies to a (newly) jailbroken ipad?

Apologies mate I completely missed your post sorry about that.:(
    Took the plunge late last night and updated it and it worked a treat so a big thank you for your help moggser much appreciated mate :)

• Advertisement

Took the plunge late last night and updated it and it worked a treat so a big thank you for your help moggser much appreciated mate :)
    ha no worries. I should of quoted your post

no bother glad i could be of some help...Guil would of sorted ya out too he knows a thing or two about a thing or two :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I have a 3gs which is jailbroken and unlocked (not factory). It's stuck on iOS 3.1.3 and I want to up it to 5. This im sure will lock the phone and unjailbreak it. I don't mind if it's jailbroken or not but how would I go about unlocking it? I use meteor but as far as I know it was an o2 phone before it was given to me

cheers for any help :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

IPAM wrote: »
    I have a 3gs which is jailbroken and unlocked (not factory). It's stuck on iOS 3.1.3 and I want to up it to 5. This im sure will lock the phone and unjailbreak it. I don't mind if it's jailbroken or not but how would I go about unlocking it? I use meteor but as far as I know it was an o2 phone before it was given to me

cheers for any help :)

Just use sn0wbreeze to make a custom, activated firmware, it won't update your baseband and you can have IOS 5.1.1 and still have an unlocked iPhone, not sure if it's still tethered, but you can just add rockyracoon to unthether it.

http://ih8sn0w.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭parc

Hi, I have an iPhone 3G and I've jailbroken myself however when I put in the sim card there's either one or no bars and no carrier.

What do I have to do to get it working? (I've tried multiple sims but still no luck)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

hey can anyone help me i unlocked an iphone 3gs a while back with redsn0w and ultrasnow (threaded). the phone needed to be booted today and afterwords it says "locked sim" with the o2 simcard but works fine with any other networks sim, anybody have any solutions?

There's a pin code active on the sim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Why did I bother......ahhh!!

Hi,
    Went from 4.3.3 to 5.1.1 on a 3GS using sn0wbreeze, that went okay but I need to unlock. My baseband is now on 05.16.02 and ultrasn0w doesn't work with my baseband.

Any idea what I need to do to unlock?

Cheers,
    Moo

You can upgrade to the ipad baseband and then downgrade to 05.13.04 which is compatible with ultrasn0w, I'm not sure if you can just use the downgrade straight away but to be sure I'd just update it first.

Download redsn0w and the 5.1.1 ipsw for the 3GS, start redsn0w and with the phone connected click jailbreak. when it identifies the phone there will be a couple of check boxes, select the one that says install ipad baseband.

When everything is done and the phone restarts go back to redsn0w and click jailbreak again but this time select downgrade form ipad baseband and let it finish, be careful though and don't update it in itunes or you will have to do it all again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Thanks a lot Guil, I'll give it a go.

Advertisement