Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ok, I hacktivated it so just needs an unlock now. It's currently on 5.1.1, is there currently an unlock available?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

yes you can jailbreak it with redsn0w and unlock with ultrasn0w, have a look at both these blog posts first though to make sure the 3GS is compatible

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/25350690843/0615-fun

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/26534086824/baseband-freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

Has anyone ever bought a Blacklisted iPhone 4? Ive one blacklisted(well i think) to O2 UK network, and was wondering about chance of it working here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

mcw92 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever bought a Blacklisted iPhone 4? Ive one blacklisted(well i think) to O2 UK network, and was wondering about chance of it working here in Ireland.
    It can o ly be blocked in its country of origin as far as I know so it should work here on 02

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

Sorry if this has been already answered or a similar question asked but I'm having a lot of hassle with the following situation. Brother-in-law borrowed my wife's 3gs (originally locked to Three), he jailbroke it and unlocked to Vodafone. Now it's returned and she wishes to use it again. Tried a few things but now stuck at factory restore not recognising sim... Any help greatly appreciated, been going around in circles for the last while and thought a restore should have sorted it. Will it be possible to use again without jailbreak, will it be necessary to hactivate and how would I restore the carrier settings?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

what sim are you trying to use in it now? if it's anything other than 3 it wont work

you could jailbreak it and install the ipad baseband and unlock it if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

It can o ly be blocked in its country of origin as far as I know so it should work here on 02

And what about geting the iphone unlocked?
    Can they unlock it while its blacklisted?

One unlock shop said they would unlock and unblacklist it for 80, but could i not just unblock it for 40 somewhere else or is it harder to unlock when its blacklisted(hence the price)?

guil wrote: »
    what sim are you trying to use in it now? if it's anything other than 3 it wont work

you could jailbreak it and install the ipad baseband and unlock it if needs be

No, the Three sim doesn't work but works in other phones. Think I might have to hacktivate and jailbreak?

thats strange, it should activate with the three sim, what state is the phone in and whats on the screen?

mcw92 wrote: »
    And what about geting the iphone unlocked?
    Can they unlock it while its blacklisted?

One unlock shop said they would unlock and unblacklist it for 80, but could i not just unblock it for 40 somewhere else or is it harder to unlock when its blacklisted(hence the price)?
    most of the shops that unlock phone do it with free software called ultrasn0w, it only works on the very first baseband on the iphone 4 so theres a very slim chance it will work on your one

some of them have a contact in one of the networks and pay them to request the unlock from apple, i don't know how simple is it to unblacklist a phone and if anything needs to be signed by guards/police etc

• Advertisement

thats strange, it should activate with the three sim, what state is the phone in and whats on the screen?

After restore I can't get past activation - no sim detected - so cant sync to back up. Is this due to phone being unlocked on previous jailbreak? Wished to return phone to original state if possible and assumed it should be easy. Otherwise what's my options, if I hacktivate will I need to jailbreak then unlock and what the best way to do this?

Thanks...

are you sure it's activation and not the connect to itunes screen, did you restore it yourself? was there any errors while restoring?
    there won't be anything to back up after the restore

I restored it myself on my laptop. I thought I could sync to a backup on my wifes laptop after that. The phone connects to iTunes alright but I get "There is no sim card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate. Please disconnect and insert a SIM card in the phone." Is this something to do with perhaps the baseband being changed in the previous jailbreak?

Thanks again.

have you tried removing the sim and trying it again? did you just click restore in itunes or did you have to download a certain firmware or any other programs to do it?

have you tried removing the sim and trying it again? did you just click restore in itunes or did you have to download a certain firmware or any other programs to do it?

No, just a factory restore in iTunes, but It's beginning to look like an issue with 06.15.00 baseband and 3gs, as many have the same problem on research. Have activated & jailbroken but still it searches for network and eventually returns to no service. A recent hack was released to downgrade baseband which should make unlocking straightforward but it doesn't seem to work for everyone. I think the baseband was probably installed when the phone was initially jailbroken to make unlocking easier but is actually a disaster for me to deal with now. I'll just keep trying, if anyone has had more luck with this please let me know. It's an older serial number 3GS also, as newer ones can experience problems with 06.15.00 so this shouldn't be affecting things either.
    Thanks again!

If the 06.15.00 bb was on it then your restore would of failed because iTunes couldn't update the baseband. What's the baseband now and did you look at the dev team blog? I saw something there about re installing mobile substrate to fix the no service issue

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Cant access it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Hi guys,

I have a Ipohne 3gs version 4.2.1 and Firmware 06.15.00. I am looking to get it unlocked is this possible? I know that there have been issue with some firmware version?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

emc2 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a Ipohne 3gs version 4.2.1 and Firmware 06.15.00. I am looking to get it unlocked is this possible? I know that there have been issue with some firmware version?

Thanks

ye no probs just jailbreak the phone and install ultrasnow from cydia and it will unlock it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

It won't say anything in carrier if no sim is installed and it will still say meteor for example if a meteor sim is installedif it's locked to O2. The number after carrier is only the IPCC version and I don't think it has anything to do with if the phone is unlocked or not

Mines says 3 Ireland 12.0, so its unlocked to any network?

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »
    It won't say anything in carrier if no sim is installed and it will still say meteor for example if a meteor sim is installedif it's locked to O2. The number after carrier is only the IPCC version and I don't think it has anything to do with if the phone is unlocked or not

Mines says 3 Ireland 12.0, so its unlocked to any network?
    The number after it is just the carrier file version. I don't think it signifies if the phone is unlocked or not

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

Does anyone know if there's a place in Dublin that can unlock an iphone 4, 5.1.1, 04.12.01? Cheers

If it O2 or voda there is some places can get it done. Price varies from about €80-€120

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

Ok thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

can the 4s 5.1.1 be unlocked yet?

No not sure what the situation is with a gevey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

just had a look at the Ultra s there quite expensive but its "supposed" to do the trick on 5.1.1 no 112 shiite either

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭plastik90

Anyone know a free app size shrinker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

just updated from 5.0 to 5.1.1 on an iphone 4 and im trying to rejailbreak the phone again with absinthe 2.0.4 (Windows) except it keeps crashing on me.

it will either encounter an error during the process and stop and tell me to disconnect and reconnect to start the process again, or absinthe crashes and windows closes the programme altogether.

does anyone have any idea whats going on here?

• Advertisement

Try it in compatibility mode for xp

I haven't a clue if absinthe jb 5.1.1 so double check that aswell

Advertisement